• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stealth - do only real skill points count?

Louve

Visitor
I saw a similar thread here but since it was posted over a year ago (and not really resolved) I decided to come back to the issue.

My character has 90 Stealth, but only 20 of it comes from a real skill. The rest is from the armor set and jewellery. Hiding is at 100 (real skill). It seams though, like the bonus skill points do not really count. Activation of the skill is successful ("you begin to move quietly" message appears), yet I cannot take a single step in the stealth mode, I am instantly revealed. Moreover, at 90 skill I should be able to activate Stealth automatically when I start to walk while hidden. That is not the case, I have to do it manually. Why does it happen so? Are those bonus skill points actually absolutely worthless in this case?

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
What armour do you wear, need to be medable to be able to stealth at 90.

Louve

Visitor
What armour do you wear, need to be medable to be able to stealth at 90.
It's a Hunter's Grab full set. And I am able to start the stealth with success wearing it (as the message says). But cannot make any step...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do you have autorun turned on... if so turn it off.

Louve

Visitor
Do you have autorun turned on... if so turn it off.
No, I don't. Besides, I have over 90 Stealth (real skill) on a different character where it works perfectly fine. It seems that here it is clearly the case of bonus skill points. If that is not a bug but intentional mechanics, that would be a bit absurd in my view...

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a minimum real skill level of stealth before it and hiding work in conjunction.
While I cannot remember the exact number, I want to say it is either 30 or 35.
(Or possibly just above one of those numbers, i.e. you would need 35.1 to auto-stealth.)

Louve

Visitor
There's a minimum real skill level of stealth before it and hiding work in conjunction.
While I cannot remember the exact number, I want to say it is either 30 or 35.
(Or possibly just above one of those numbers, i.e. you would need 35.1 to auto-stealth.)
According to information on the uo.com page the 25 skill limit is required only for the Stealth to start automatically. Below that, one must use it manually, which I do and, as mentioned, I get the success information. Yet the Stealth itself works even below this limit (20 points should give 4 steps). But even so, it still would still seam that only the real skill points count as, overall, I have Stealth at 90.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
So you arent wearing a gorget and a helmet? Just the 4 hunters garb pieces?

Louve

Visitor
So you arent wearing a gorget and a helmet? Just the 4 hunters garb pieces?
If I understand the skill mechanics correctly, the armor a character is wearing is tested at the moment of lunching the Stealth. Once the test is successful ("you begin to move quietly" message is displayed), you can move quietly in whatever you are wearing at the moment (till the next test, i.e. after a certain number of steps). But, for the purpose of checking every possibility, I did try just that. My character was dressed only in those 4 set pieces + ring and bracelet. It didn't work.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Tested today to be sure if something else could be wrong, but I couldnt start stealth while mounted nor without having 30 hiding. Started to get 20 stealth still no success and then at 25 it worked.

Hazel868789

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tested today to be sure if something else could be wrong, but I couldnt start stealth while mounted nor without having 30 hiding. Started to get 20 stealth still no success and then at 25 it worked.
IMPOSSIBLE IMPOSSIBLE to stealth while "moving" on a mount.

Louve

Visitor
Once more, huge thanks for your help! I can keep the build I planned :)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i knocked all my stealthers down to 40 a couple years ago to save on points.
i had to muck around with the skill levels (real) to find the sweet spot.
40 (then item up to 90) is the same as real skill 90.
less than that and i was having the odd issue.
and when stealthing you dont want there to be issues - am i right!

Louve

Visitor
i knocked all my stealthers down to 40 a couple years ago to save on points.
i had to muck around with the skill levels (real) to find the sweet spot.
40 (then item up to 90) is the same as real skill 90.
less than that and i was having the odd issue.
and when stealthing you dont want there to be issues - am i right!
Thanks Poo for the advice! :cool:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't forget, that a lot of birds like Crows and Ravens have 90.0 Detect Hidden skill, so be careful when stealthing near them.

IMPOSSIBLE IMPOSSIBLE to stealth while "moving" on a mount.
Back when AoS first launched, i used to stealth up next to someone on my Stealth/Fencer, then mount up my Ethy, and burst out of hiding with a Lance equipped and Dismount them, then kill them with a Kryss or War Fork. Then they nerfed the Lance to where it can no longer dismount people while you're mounted unless the other person has a Lance as well :(

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then they nerfed the Lance to where it can no longer dismount people while you're mounted unless the other person has a Lance as well
Can that be used for Jousting? Or 120 skills always dismount?

Would be a fun community event.

Hazel868789

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
"PASSIVE DETECT" sucks!!!!! Amazing how someone with ZERO Detecting Hidden real skills can detect a 120 stealther with only " JOAT" basic abilities.

Have a great day and keep putzing.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
back when factions was cranking along there use to be a fella who would tame magpie's and ravens with JOAT and park them all around the entrance to the Faction Base.
it did a remarkable job of popping out all stealthers.