• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Stealth and Looting

• Thread starter imported_GalenKnighthawke
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

Can you loot a monster corpse while stealthed or hidden?

A friend of mine has had the following experience twice during the current event.

A berserker and a fallen warrior will fight.

The berserker will win.

My friend will stealth up to the corpse to loot it. There will be an item, a Planesword or Planeshield, there. The item will vanish from the corpse, as though looted by someone else.

One time, my friend tried to loot, only to of course be auto-revealed and killed by the berserker....Only to have another stealther emerge from hiding right near the now-looted corpse, saying "ha ha."

Am I missing something, something I don't know about how Hiding/Stealth and looting work? Or is this a new exploit?

Or neither?

Thanks.

-Galen's player

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your friend isn't the only one who noticed the demons attack everything. Monsters killed by the demon are lootable by anyone. Its basically who can grab the item the fastest, and then re-hide without getting killed. Its a little easier if the demon has multiple targets around, and he will soon attack each until theyre all gone. Its really quite fun.. you have to dodge the fetid things because the area effect can unhide/stealth you.. shadowjump to get around easier too.. wolf form to move fast..

Theres different paths that get you to the same place...

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

Any player would be revealed (however temporarily) upon lifting any item in a corpse, they may be able to hide faster than normal by having a dress macro for an old invis item perhaps?

I don't think any of the monsters in the time rift loot corpses, maybe it's just a bug because a monster killed it rather than a player.

F

Fayled Dhreams

The fetids can be a problem ... too much damage and they can reveal ya ... but ...
you can stealth up (unseen) to a corpse, trim/pluck feathers and remain hidden, open corpse ... still hidden ..

move one item
Bing!
gotta be quick to re-hide (before targeted)

"auto revealed" ?
noob characters and I haven't noticed too much of that ... just the fetid's and their aura of damage

considering the size of some of the Atlantic spots I worked ...
nah ...
Auto reveal ain't alla that

I

imported_Hanna

It's probably an exploit
anythime you loot off a corpse you should be revealed.

S

Smokin

Its not an exploit its called being fast and alert. I can grab the item and then hide right away, you might see a blink of me there for a second. All I am using is a UO macro for hiding. No tricks, no hacks, no cheats nothing at all. The odd time my macro lags and I get targeted but I run away and hide again.

G

I suppose you could have missed seeing the other stealther because of lag maybe? I don't know, I've never had any firsthand experience with that, just an idea.

G

Opening the corpse wont unhide you (player corpse opening will) so just grab then rehide intimidate after you grab the item.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
rtlfc

If you open your journal you will see the stealthers name...maybe never see them actually appear but they did for a split second.

G

obviously you will see someone for a second while they re hide unless it is an exploit OR!!!!
try this.

loot a corpse with a ring or bracelet with hiding charges. This is the only reason unless it is an exploit or you really really are lagging(journal would still show names.)

on a side note. i have had this happen to me and I wasnt lagging. and i have also with another seen: twho jewls appear on the ground near us, un hilightable or tangable. then they dissapeared one after another.

S

Smokin

I seen that with a persons whole contents of backpack, they were hiding and getting there stuff back on once they were done it disappeared.

G

Oh my god as the penny finally dropped with u guys/gals!!!!

Yes USE the most powerfull weapon in the game!!!!, and the best template for this event is the ninjitsu stealth mage!!!

jeepers its not rocket science is it!!!! its so easy...

yes!!! let the beserkers kill everything for you!!! then loot the fallen...

simps!!

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just have to use those good ol' forgotten 'thievery' skills... Magery? Nahh...

My temp:

90/120 Stealing [120 w/ shadow dancer legs, and burglars bandanna]
90/100 Snooping [100 w/ burglars bandanna]
90/120 Stealth [120 w/ shadow dancer legs, and burglars bandanna]
100 Detect
100 Hiding
100 Lockpicking
100 Remove Trap
50 Ninjitsu [90 w/ +15 ring/brace combo, +10 from Hanzo's Bow]

Only died a few times.. ironically from UO crashing when i step through the rift.. this blackrock is powerful if it makes the game crash =)

K

KingSidhe

On day two of the event, my stealther went around looting for swords, shields, and threads, and as soon as you touch the item you become revealed, if you are skilled hit your macro for hiding, no problem.

There are scripts that are used to autoloot and hide. I dont use them but I know that they are available.

I

imported_Lariat

<blockquote><hr>

I seen that with a persons whole contents of backpack, they were hiding and getting there stuff back on once they were done it disappeared.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, there's a very annoying bug right now that shows others exactly where you're hidden if you're getting dressed. If someone hidden is moving items in their pack you can see the items flying through the air. This is REALLY bad when getting ressed up in Fal, such as at a champ raid.

D

davebobbit

I used my stealther (with smoke bombs) to collect around 100 swords/shields before I figured i had enough - I averaged picking up 1 per minute during the day time when everyone was at work... Way more than my archer collected in the evenings.

Anyways, Im sure there are people scripting even this, the most simplest of tasks. When I'm standing there in the middle of a berserker/birdy thing fight waiting for the kill by the time i've even double clicked the corpse the sword/shield is gone and a smoke bomb has already gone off. SOMETIMES I dont actually see the name of my competing stealther - I wonder if an egg bomb can be hit so quickly that it doesnt even allow the name to show??

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure.. Ive been using my 'Num 0' key thats set for hiding. Like as soon as I drag the item from the corpse, i hit 'hide' and go back invis.. The item is still being dragged, and not even placed into my backpack and im already re-hidden..

Not sure about scripting.. My only external UO Program usage ever was a golf ball on my 'Num 0' key to get some hiding skill up back in the day, and get my murder count down while i slept. I dont even use UOA. (IMO) UOA = Steroids &amp; Baseball...

Havent had to use any stink bombs or invis pots.

Mirror image also can be used to lure the demons to other creatures, since the demons will attack your mirror image.

[speculating]Maybe the turn-in will involve the Planesword/Shields? maybe the etheral forces need their weapons/armor back to continue the fight? I think the "quest" items from this event are the shroud, and the threads.[/speculating] (only got 1 shroud on day 2, and havent seen any threads for quite some time)

G

ninjitsu stealth mage = no.1 idocer template....loving it!!!!!!

chests full of items

and with magery= rez and heal for others too......love it!!!

L

Locus_Ceruleus

<blockquote><hr>

Its not an exploit its called being fast and alert. I can grab the item and then hide right away, you might see a blink of me there for a second. All I am using is a UO macro for hiding. No tricks, no hacks, no cheats nothing at all. The odd time my macro lags and I get targeted but I run away and hide again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eye-Witness Account. I saw the Plane sword disappear. Saw nothing in Journal or on screen. The cheater was not simply quick; he would have been on the journal if that were the case. I went ahead and grabbed the gold only to be insta-killed. The cheater emerged from hiding to laugh and them immediatedly re-hide. No spell, no invis, no funky cloak. The duration between the snatch and the post-laugh hide was too short for a valid, legal skill use.

There is an exploit out there that allows looting while hidden, despite what the nattering nabobs of negativism have to say. -LC

Yenji Yasagari

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been a ninja 3 years. I've been able to pull off around 7 stealth loots without being revealed, it just involves a really good key push as you grab it immediately. It takes timing, but once you get it down its nothing. Too bad my ninja is on legends....

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a thought:

Do you get unhidden when you grab something out of the corpse while having an invis item on ? You know, such an item from the old days with invisible charges on it. I still have some of them and I never have used them. Maybe I should just figure it out by myself, hehehe.

I

imported_Coppelia

Any good stealther stays only a fraction of second revealed when looting a corpse in a dangerous area.
You hide, you stealth to the corpse, open it. You look for the best item and prepare yourself: you slip it in your backpack and immediately hits Hiding macro. Then wait that the skill timer resets to loot another item.
Always let at least one tile free between you and the retargeting mobs, so if nobody's around fighting it and you have the message "You can't hide now", you can run away a bit and invis' yourself (spell or run while the skill timer resets and rehide).

And saying "haha" doesn't mean he got anything.

Of course picking things on the ground doesn't reveal you.

L

Locus_Ceruleus

<blockquote><hr>

Any good stealther stays only a fraction of second revealed when looting a corpse in a dangerous area.
You hide, you stealth to the corpse, open it. You look for the best item and prepare yourself: you slip it in your backpack and immediately hits Hiding macro. Then wait that the skill timer resets to loot another item.
Always let at least one tile free between you and the retargeting mobs, so if nobody's around fighting it and you have the message "You can't hide now", you can run away a bit and invis' yourself (spell or run while the skill timer resets and rehide).

And saying "haha" doesn't mean he got anything.

Of course picking things on the ground doesn't reveal you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if you're just giving general stealthing advice or commenting on the exploit. And actually, a REALLY good looter apparently is never seen at all.