• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Stealing] Stealing from Monsters

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A short video has been added to the page
http://uo2.stratics.com/miscellaneous/stealing-from-monsters

Luckily no one with homicidal tendencies was watching Stratics live stream while I recorded it, and I think I won't go back to that location for a while. :D
I hope you enjoy it

If anyone wants to see the longer version you'll find it here
http://www.twitch.tv/uostratics/b/522671846

Thank you for the cool video.

One question, when stealing from Monsters, is there any need to have also the snooping skill on the character or since it is just random stealing, only the stealing skill is necessary ?

Or perhaps there is some "bonus" for the outcome of the item stolen (i.e. a rarer and better item stolen ?) if one has also the snooping skill besides the stealing skill ?

Or would just having the snooping skill when stealing from Monster be just a waste of skill points ?

Since we are talking about Felucca, some Monsters there carry also silver. Can one also steal silver ?

Thanks.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Snooping is not required. I only added snooping to the character when the Exodus encounter was added. Snooping is needed for Exodus Zealots if you are to get anything but gold from them, although it is not used actively.
As far as I am aware silver can not be stolen. There was no mention of silver in the information given in the publish notes, only the items listed on the page I linked to.
However my character is not in factions, so would not gain silver from the kill either.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought that being Felucca even if not in Factions the thief could steal also silver if the monster was one of the silver bearing ones....

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Awesome job, Petra!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks :D I was just lucky no Europa PKs happened to notice that I was streaming it live on Stratics and come looking for me.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Snooping is not required. I only added snooping to the character when the Exodus encounter was added. Snooping is needed for Exodus Zealots if you are to get anything but gold from them, although it is not used actively.
As far as I am aware silver can not be stolen. There was no mention of silver in the information given in the publish notes, only the items listed on the page I linked to.
However my character is not in factions, so would not gain silver from the kill either.
By the way, I saw that you make no mention of using a Smuggler's Edge....

Do you know whether using it may increase any further the chance to steal any of the rare items from monters or 10%+5% =15% is the highest chance one can achieve, regardless whether using a smuggler's edge or not ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The description for Smuggler's Edge states:
Smuggler’s Edge

The perfect thief needs a perfect weapon! The Smuggler’s Edge has a 5% chance to proc a stealing attempt when fighting a mob. If the proc is not successful you have a chance of gaining skill in stealing instead. If you have natural stealing skill you have a chance to steal one of two new stealable rares:

• Smuggler’s Tool Box – Produces lockpicks daily
  • Smuggler’s Lantern – Has Spell channeling, faster cast, and is hued
You'll notice my character has no fighting ability, the summoned daemon runs interference for my character and does the fighting.
In addition it only gives a 5% chance of a steal while fighting. I have a better chance of a result by using the stealing skill.
Therefore the item is not particularly useful to me. Nor do I particularly want either of its two special items

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The description for Smuggler's Edge states:

You'll notice my character has no fighting ability, the summoned daemon runs interference for my character and does the fighting.
In addition it only gives a 5% chance of a steal while fighting. I have a better chance of a result by using the stealing skill.
Therefore the item is not particularly useful to me. Nor do I particularly want either of its two special items

I thought that upon using the smuggler's edge it "added up" to the chance of stealing a special rare item ("If your Stealing skill is over 100.0, you can get a bonus to the appearance ratio of a rare item.")...

That is, "any" rare special item not just the 2 mentioned....

That is, I understood, if without the smuggler's edge a 120 stealing character stealing on a level 5 Fame monster can have a 10% + 5% = 15% chance of stealing Seed of Life, Mana Draught, Gem of Salvation, Balm of Strength, Balm of Wisdom, Balm of Swiftness, Balm of protection, Stone Skin Lotion and Life Shield Lotion, upon using a Smuggler's Edge the chance of stealing one of these items would increase to a better 20%....

UOGuide http://www.uoguide.com/Smuggler's_Edge says : In addition to the existing rare items, the following two rare items may be able to be stolen only at the time of stealing with a Smuggler's Edge.
So, my understanding was that the Smuggler's Edge should add up (in addition...) another 5% to the 15% max possible chance (making it a total 20% chance...) when stealing rare items from Monsters without it...
Basically my understanding was :
+10% chance at a rare item from being 120.0 stealing skill ;
+ 5% chance at a rare item from stealing from a level 5 Fame Monster ;
+ 5% chance at a rare item from using a Smuggler's Edge in the process.

Total = 20% chance at a rare item steal from level 5 Fame Monsters being a Legendary thief and using a Smuggler's Edge.

Did I understand it wrong ?

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure to be honest. I can try it, but as I said, I have no fighting ability on the character. To trigger the stealing, even at 20%, first you have to actually hit it!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried the smuggler's edge. 30 swords and 30 hci on jewels was all I had though.
In the same place and same time scale I failed to steal from most mobs and got only gold when I succeeded. No special items obtained at all.
I conclude that even with 120 stealing the smuggler's edge is pretty useless without weapon skills.

I could be wrong but it would appear there is a 5% chance while fighting that you will trigger a steal attempt - with a 15% chance of that stealing attempt producing a special item if you have 120 stealing. I don't think the percentages add up the way you believed.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried the smuggler's edge. 30 swords and 30 hci on jewels was all I had though.
In the same place and same time scale I failed to steal from most mobs and got only gold when I succeeded. No special items obtained at all.
I conclude that even with 120 stealing the smuggler's edge is pretty useless without weapon skills.

I could be wrong but it would appear there is a 5% chance while fighting that you will trigger a steal attempt - with a 15% chance of that stealing attempt producing a special item if you have 120 stealing. I don't think the percentages add up the way you believed.

Hmmm... it would be nice to have any of the Developers clear out this uncertainty for the players...

After all, the Smuggler's Edge takes origin from a code (which means real money cost to get) and I think it should be clear what it can do and what it cannot do before players risk spending their money on items which work different as to what they thought...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Snooping is needed for Exodus Zealots if you are to get anything but gold from them, although it is not used actively.

Since Peerless ingredients can be stolen from the Zealots, this means that if, when snooping them, there is none showing in their backpack, they have to be killed and a new one to get spawned, in order to get a chance to steal peerless ingredients ?

What if one does not steal from them but just kills their corpses and loots them ? Will the peerless ingredients appear on their corpse or is it only from stealing them that one can get them ?

Thanks !

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can not actively snoop their backpacks, snooping is used passively, but without it you can only obtain gold. The special items can ONLY be obtained through stealing. They are not found on corpses.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can not actively snoop their backpacks, snooping is used passively, but without it you can only obtain gold. The special items can ONLY be obtained through stealing. They are not found on corpses.

Ok, thank you, do you know how rare they might be to get ? Like on average 1 ML ingredient in how many stealing attempts moreless ?

Also, can one steal over and over from the same one Exodus Zealot or do they need to be killed to refresh their spawn ?

Thanks.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know what the drop rate is, like most drop rates it's not revealed and varies. You can only steal from a zealot once but you don't need to kill them, they disappear.