• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Starting Treasure Hunter

X

xmassacre

So I have decided to play UO once again ( dont have much previous exp ) and I was wondering if I could start with treasure hunter since I think its very exciting. Is it good for starting char and which teplates are good?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back !

Do you have a character with already Cartography and lockpicking developed ?

The reason for asking, is because of the Guardians will change depending on the Treasure Map level and can possibly be handled with different templates.

If you are going to raise the skill up, then probably Magery is a good idea because it has the lock pick skill and telekinesis which are usefull for lower level Maps, before your skills are high enough. By having Magery you can already start doing some Maps while you are still low on your Cartography and Lockpicking skills and this makes it more fun, to my opinion.

If, instead, you already have Cartography and Lockpicking high enough to do higher level Treasure Maps then, things may change.

For Maps level 4 and 5 I would say that taming could be very usefull. Raising taming is a slow process but you could use skill items and talismans carrying Animal Taming and Animal Lore to expedite the process and have enough points to control high end pets like, for example, a Greater Dragon.

Maps 6 and 7 might be a different story as they could require templates more "fine tuned" and up to the challenging tasks.

For the top levels Maps treasure hunters have different opinions, some like Mysticism but others prefer barding skills with spellweaving to land that final blow with word of death.

One note if you did treasure hunting in the past, now the treasure locations are randomized which means, that there is not a treasure library that will help recall onto the right spot.
Now the treasure locations need to be actually "hunted for" and for that, having mining (which can be soulstoned after locating the chest for a fighting skill swapped...) helps. What also helps a lot is using the Enhanced Client rather than the Classic Client because of the zooming features.

I am not sure whether there is any modding utility available for the EC client that helps in treasure hunting, perhaps some other hunter might help with this info.

Since you will also need to deal with the treasures' loot, I suggest picking up the imbuing skill and unravel whatever magic items you do not need from the treasure chests you will dig up. This way, you will not only raise up the imbuing skill (unravelling magic items raises up the skill) but you will also build up, treasure chest after treasure chest, a stock of imbuing resources that you will make good use for when you will start imbuing the magic items you need.

When unravelling, it is best advisable that this is done preferably at the Queen's Forge in Ter Mur since it gives a bonus which helps. To be able to unravel and imbue at the Queen's Forge there is a Quest to be completed but I did it a long time ago and can't recall which it is. Perhaps someone else who remembers which it is can help more than me.

Good luck in your hunts and welcome back to UO again !!

X

xmassacre

I dont have anything, I'm starting from scrach. I also heard treasure hunter is not very vaiable option for new character.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I recommend starting a tamer and working the tamer up then start thunting! May take you a while to work the tamer up but when you do you will be able to do the high end tmaps

If in more of a hurry I would do a bard/mage thunter

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont have anything, I'm starting from scrach. I also heard treasure hunter is not very vaiable option for new character.

Well, I play the game for enjoyment and I enjoy playing a treasure hunter.....

As for viable option I am not sure what you intend to mean. Raising a Treasure Hunter's skills is not more difficult than some other character's skills and for making gold it ain't bad since each level carries 5,000 gp plus all of the reagents, items and a chance to get items which can sell well like forged pardons, alacrity scrolls, SoTs, Skeleton Key, ManaPhasing Orb, Surge Shield, Runed Sash of Warding, Master Skeleton Key, A coffin.....

But I enjoy digging up a treasure and fighting the spawn.....

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you play on Lake Austin I can give you a big head start treasure hunter starter kit.

If not, I'm not much help. Low population shard, nice place, plenty of room for 18x18 houses to fill with your loot, free luna vendor spots to sell said loot.

Let me know, icq 57206514

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I have decided to play UO once again ( dont have much previous exp ) and I was wondering if I could start with treasure hunter since I think its very exciting. Is it good for starting char and which teplates are good?
Consider the following:

Lockpicking-100
Cartography-100
Mining-100(stoned for med or spellweaving if you choose)
Mystic-120 or as high as you can afford
Focus-100
Magery-100
Evaluate Int-100

That gives you 720 points with no jewelry. RC will handle most of the spawn from map levels 1-5. Soloing 6 or 7 is pretty tough with any template, so consider making friends for those.

Belshazzar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How viable is this template now a days?
100 carto
100 lock pick
100 magery 110 with jewels
100 music 110 with jewels
113 diso cap 115
110 peace
100 med

i am playing around with level 1 adn 2 right now, i was able to do level 5 with no problems a couple of years ago never attempted a 6 or 7.

SInce 8 by 8 is gone what is good way to work up mysticism or spellweaving? i am hearing a lot of players using that for thunting...

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You gotta be able to decode the maps, so cartography is a must.
You gotta be able to open the chest, so lockpicking is a must.

Of lesser importance, but very handy are magery (for recall, telekinisis) and mining (to make the digging less tedious).

You can make your own choice as to how to deal with the spawn since there are many mage/warrior/mystic/tamer and etc combos to choose from.

My template is mage/mystic/cartography/mining/lockpicking/focus/resist (120,120,100,100,100,120,100). I use a jewels to get resist as high as I can, though really don't need it.

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Test centre is your freind..try it out and see..
As for bard, there are some guardians that will be very hard unless your 120..

A viable template would be a mystic/mage to start..
You can make a new char and pick custome insted of what they have..
Set the harder skill you think to 50 , only 2 sorry to say..

Im not sure if a gargoyle would make a good t-hunter, but it would be handy for running like a nut doing lvl 6 and 7 maps, when all hell brakes loose..hehe

You need to remember that to summon a colossus it takes 5 pet slots..so if your human or elf, it meens geting off your ethy and being on foot.

As a gargoyle you can stay flying and have ethy speed..

Cart and LP is actualy easy to get up now a days..
You can use paragon chest to raise LP..you will burn alot of picks but who cares..plus there cheap enough to buy..

At higher lvl skill goto the weeld in ishnar and get discoed by a satyr for easyer gains..have a freind help you there..to invise or res if things go wrong.

But other then that have fun..T-Hunting is a blast..

Z

Zannette

Welcome back!!

Treasure hunter is definitely viable starter character. make sure you pick up 100% LRC suit and level your magery first as it helps with fast travel and invisibility after you dig up your chest.

My T- Hunter Template is:

120 - Mysticism
120 - Focus
100 - Lockpicking
100 - Cartography
66 - Mining
120 - Magery
94 - Med

120/120 Rising Colossus can handle all level maps 1-7.
I chose to go with meditation instead of Evaluating Intelligence since I like large mana pool in case my RC gets dispelled a lot on lvl 7 Maps.
I only have 120 Magery as this character used to be a scribe but otherwise even 100 magery is fine and you can use 20 points elsewhere like mining if you have problems finding the chests.

Reason behind 66 mining is that I use Jacob's Pickaxe +10 and Ring mail gloves of mining +5 = with 81 mining you need to dig within 3 tiles of the chest to hit it.

As Mysticism and Focus 120 Powerscrolls don't come cheap i suggest doing maps 1-5 until you can afford the scrolls.
I also suggest that you loot every last item from the chest and start another character with Imbuing. You can unravel pretty much everything from lower level chests right away and use that to level an Imbuer. When you hunt a lot Magical residue and Enchanted Essences add up quickly.

Other viable templates are Bard or even Tamer T-Hunter but what I find is that at higher level maps bard can have problems with Guardians spawning as you loot the chest and Tamers have problems with the Initial Spawn as lvl 6 & 7 maps can spawn up to 8 high level guardians and you have to spend lots of time pulling and killing them as you can't just rush in with your Greater Dragon.

I don't use any Soulstones during hunts and over the last year i only had one troublesome LvL 7 Map that spawned 4 frost dragons. That one took about an hour to solo as they kept dispelling my RC. This is the reason I dropped Spellweaving for Med as even with Arcane empowerment my RC got pummeled.

I hope this helps. Good luck with The Hunt.
Z