• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Starting again

A

Airslash

Hello

used to play FFxi some time ago, and currently I have this urge to start playing again. Currently bought all expansion packs, but I was wondering:

- any particular server I should start on
- anything I need to know regarding leveling a white mage from scratch?

Also I'm pretty used to WoW. How hard will it be to get used to ffxi?

Y

YoungUn

When you level up, use the fields of valor books whenever you are solo'ing. They give you extra exp, gil and something called tabs. The tabs are only good at the fields of valor books, but they do sweet things like give you reraise, regen, refresh, protect and shell. You can get food & also go back to your home country from the books, so they are a pretty good deal. I solo/duo'd my pup job to 57 with these books, made it a lot easier. The only real drawback is you have to fight in areas where the books are. Partying is way better for exp/hr, but the books are not bad if you can't find a party or just don't feel like partying.

As far as server.. I don't know. I'm on Caitsith, and so are some other people from the boards.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whm from scratch? You won't be soloing for long! And you'll have no problem getting parties til you're in the 40s, when everyone thinks RDM is God. But stick with it, because in my opinion WHM is the least boring job I've tried so far.

As for WoW.. never tried it. I know many who have left FFXI for WoW, but came back because WoW wasn't challenging enough after having played FFXI.

Server.. Yeah I'm on Caitsith too. From what I've read on other forums, we seem to be about average in every regard.. from population to languages spoken ratios.

A

Airslash

ah good to know.
Guess i'll start playing on Caithsit as well then.
Just waiting for my disks to arrive.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a white mage you have chosen a great profession! Most of the servers are the same population so doesn't matter which one you choose. Is better if there is one with people you know already, otherwise...whatever.

After level 10 you will pretty much always be part of a party. You can ALWAYS make a party from level 10 to level 40. Some people won't want to party with you after 40 if you don't have a red mage or bard...BUT, if you are a good healer then well they really aren't needed. That said, if you aren't a taru well then yes there might be a little downtime.

Other than that, STUDY the spell lists that are online. You can save yourself heaps of gil if you concentrate on getting the spells that you are able to from drops. Most are easy.

Don't be a lazy mage and buy them all from the starter towns. You will burn a hole in your pocket AND some people sell spells their for a reason. > New People.

Once you hit the ToAU areas, you should concentrate on getting your staging points.

Other than that, i recommend the FFXI wikipedia website to study information on your job, equipment, and other goodies.

Best of luck!

A

Airslash

As a white mage you have chosen a great profession! Most of the servers are the same population so doesn't matter which one you choose. Is better if there is one with people you know already, otherwise...whatever.

After level 10 you will pretty much always be part of a party. You can ALWAYS make a party from level 10 to level 40. Some people won't want to party with you after 40 if you don't have a red mage or bard...BUT, if you are a good healer then well they really aren't needed. That said, if you aren't a taru well then yes there might be a little downtime.

Other than that, STUDY the spell lists that are online. You can save yourself heaps of gil if you concentrate on getting the spells that you are able to from drops. Most are easy.

Don't be a lazy mage and buy them all from the starter towns. You will burn a hole in your pocket AND some people sell spells their for a reason. > New People.

Once you hit the ToAU areas, you should concentrate on getting your staging points.

Other than that, i recommend the FFXI wikipedia website to study information on your job, equipment, and other goodies.

Best of luck!
ooh good to know. I always wondered where to get those high amounts of gil to get my spells. But if they're drops then for sure I'll be hunting them.

A

Airslash

Ok,

my new disks arrived today, so I plan on updating my old installation and play with the new disks and account.
I just hope the patching doesnt take to long to get me online.

A

Airslash

it "only" took 3 hours to patch the entire game.
Now to create a new taru WHM...

A

Airslash

ok so i've created my WHM called Hantaro (yeah i know, sounds almost like the hamster :p) and somehow got to level 4 by doing these quests given by a gateguard.

now I'm still not sure how to actually earn gil. Already found one quest that awarded me 200gil and used it to buy a new wand and a Dia scroll.

surely there's an easier way to earn gil?

oh and I'm on caithsith server

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The things you're killing drop items when they go down. Those things can be stacked and sold on the auction house. Beastmen (Yagudo, Quadavs, Orcs and Goblins) drop gil when they go down, as well as items.

Y

YoungUn

Another way to get a little bit of gil while you are leveling up is to do the fields of valor. The book is in West Ron to the right of the gate in San D, in Bastok it is outside Port Bastok. I forget where the WinD one is. You will earn equal amounts of gil and exp from the regimens plus tabs, which you can use for refresh and reraise, super helpful at early levels.

A

Airslash

Ok,

I now have this quest from the gateguard to run to the next zone and kill one monster there. So I'll probably need to level up a bit first on crawlers and beastmen and sell their loot for new shiny stuff.

I should really look for a DB that lists drops...

EDIT:

I'm totally clueless...
I'm getting mu butt kicked by those yagudo initiates. They deal around 12-15 damage a hit since they attack twice in a row, and intterupt my spells.

amd I forced to keep leveling on low stuff till I can beat this things or am I just totally missing the ball here and should I do something else first?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would really help to know what level you are and what job you're using. But then again, it sounds like you're doing Windy missions and being Sandian I have never done them.

A

Airslash

level 4 taru white mage. nothing else (explain if I missed something)
I put some stuff on the AH now and hope it sells so I can buy some armor or something.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, level 4. You have a while before you should worry about the missions. You will start partying around level 9 and I wouldn't even begin the missions til 20.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have done the beginning mission to get rank 2, don't even worry about doing the rank 3 mission until you are at least level 25, even 30. The mission is capped at 25 though from what I recall (mission 2-3 for rank 3).

A

Airslash

I'm not sure its a real mission.
Its the NPC you get directed to when you start a new game, he gets you up to level 4 with simple quests like kill that mob, raise that skill etc.

anyways I hope that some stuff sells so I can purchase new things and makem my WHM a bit more resilient

A

Airslash

made some 400 gil at the moment so I bought a new robe to equip.
Hope the other items get sold as well so I can buy a new spell and start saving for a new weapon and some better gear.

Gonne try to hit level 5 this evening with killing those rarab thingies.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
made some 400 gil at the moment so I bought a new robe to equip.
Hope the other items get sold as well so I can buy a new spell and start saving for a new weapon and some better gear.

Gonne try to hit level 5 this evening with killing those rarab thingies.
I tried to do this post yesterday but no luck with it showing. So attempt to redo. In regards to FFXI whitemage, one of the most important things you can do is to review the following spell information:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/White_Mage

The above link will take you to the basic information about a whitemage as well as list EVERY spell that you can possibly carry for a whitemage.

Some spells you will need to set aside funds in order to get or arrange a party to go do the fights (some are BCNM drops). Aside from that, RESEARCH prices on the online auction website. The online auction website is a website that will compare server prices as well as show the current selling rate for an item as well as the history. Both are vary important since the game economy can fluctuate.

Last but not least, some spells you will only be able to acquire from monsters or special BCNM fights. Some spells you just buy from NPC shops. Take note on what some of those are, as some players like to buy spells in bulk and then sell them for a profit.

ONLY if a spell sells for cheaper on the AH should you NOT buy it from a merchant NPC shop. You will have to research the spell price (which is shown under the spell guide I gave you...for each spell).

As far as experience point leveling, you can start partying around level 9 or 10...as one poster mentioned. Once that starts happening, the levels are going to start flying for you...so, don't despair. Just remember this bit of information, regen spell is your best friend.

Good luck in your journeys.

~Diomedes
75 NIN, 75 THF, 75 BLM, 75 RDM, 68 WHM, 63 WAR, 63 BLU, 53 PLD, every other job at 37. (Semi-retired).

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, at the bottom of that page you will find several guides. These guides will tell you what gear is best for what level, as well as when to upgrade gear. There's also a good one on how to be a WHM in a party. WHM is one of my 75 jobs, so if you have questions I'd be glad to help.

A

Airslash

been reading some of them, and i'm getting some parts of it now.

Also managed to collect 12 earth crystals which I put for sale now on the AH :D
Also hit level 5 :eek:

next goal tommorow will be level 6 and a stack of wind crystals, and maybe a stack of honey if it keeps dropping like it did today :)

A

Airslash

hmm;

been checking AH every day now to get my hands on a Hammer, but no luck finding one...

My crystals sold, so i'm now a bit richer ^^

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which hammer are you looking at? I might be able to make it.

A

Airslash

hit level 6 today :)
and with my new banish spell I can finally kill those birdmen.

I'm really starting to like my little WHM

btw, what timezones you play from? would be sweet if I could whisper people ingame when i need some advice.

S

SneakyMasterclif

There is a mentor system for people you can ask questions of. Look in help while in game.

Btw, starting as a white mage is the hardest thing to do.

A

Airslash

There is a mentor system for people you can ask questions of. Look in help while in game.

Btw, starting as a white mage is the hardest thing to do.
I know...
but I don't like to play easy-mode anymore in games. I'd rather prefer a challenge and something to work to then just roll through everything.

A

Airslash

hit level 7, got my poisiona spell, protect spell and paralyze spells.

The hammer is simply divine.
Whacking mobs up to 14 a hit now with normal attacks and critting up to 26 sometimes.

Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to join a Linkshell? I really don't like leveling alone. I need people to gossip with. :D

anyone who wants to have a newbie WHM ?

edit/ even level 8 now and first mission solod :)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hit level 7, got my poisiona spell, protect spell and paralyze spells.

The hammer is simply divine.
Whacking mobs up to 14 a hit now with normal attacks and critting up to 26 sometimes.

Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to join a Linkshell? I really don't like leveling alone. I need people to gossip with. :D

anyone who wants to have a newbie WHM ?

edit/ even level 8 now and first mission solod :)
Neat sig...I like it. Just hit level 10 and then buy your cure II spell for when level 11 comes. Don't go cure happy with cure II though. It's best not to use your newest cure spell right when you get it :p. Unless you have a GOOD tank, then cure away :).

A

Airslash

Neat sig...I like it. Just hit level 10 and then buy your cure II spell for when level 11 comes. Don't go cure happy with cure II though. It's best not to use your newest cure spell right when you get it :p. Unless you have a GOOD tank, then cure away :).
yeah I know.and no you cannot have my sig :p

CurrentlyI'm trying to get the gil together to buy the new CureII spell, and also the new armors available to me at level 8 - 9, but really struggling atm

S

SneakyMasterclif

An excerpt from my faq(will be posted here soon).

Money
1. Money. Ok, this is the fun part. You are broke. You know that 60g you have total? That's nothing. Once you get to level 4 or so, you should have atleast a 12 stack of the same type of crystals. Check the auction house for pricing. Look at what the previous bids were, THEN go to the sell, and sell a 12 stack for whatever the lowest price was. On my server, it was 1000 gold. Why the lowest amount? You are broke. Your priority is to sell the stack as soon as possible. If you have one of a crystal, put it up for 100 gold. Yeah, the minimum people seem to sell things is 100 gold. Once you get your hand on some money, buy a better weapon at least. Or spell. Make sure you are of a high enough level to cast the spell, of course. By the way, it's in the auction house for a week, or until someone buys it.

2. Fishing. After depleting the fish's stamina by pushing in the opposite direction of the pole, push enter to reel it in. Yeah, it doesn't say that ANYWHERE. If you don't reel in a fish, you don't lose the bait. That includes fishing up kelp and worthless stuff. Save the kelp up to sell. It's used in cooking(high cooking). It IS a good way to get a bit of money for the first couple levels.

3. Things are expensive. Make sure to always sell stacks on the auction house first. If they don't sell there, THEN sell them to a vendor.

This was mostly for the first couple levels of the game. Use a wind crystal and a yagudo necklace to make thread. Sell the thread in stacks. The yagudo feathers sell very fast as well.
Farm crystals. I'm not kidding, farming the crystals will get you the money you need. I know that when you start your professions, you will need crystals as well, but at that time, you will be a lot stronger. You will be able to kill things faster, and get crystals faster.

A

Airslash

already doing that. Just loosing alot of time running back and forth everytime due full bags :(

R

Rapson

Heya Airslash,

I just started again about a week ago (lvl 14 war on Bismark) and I was having a bit of trouble with money too. A quick way to earn some coin is to make copper ingots and sell them on the AH, they sell for 4-5k on my server and they're easy to make. 1 Fire Crystal and 4 Copper Ore's. Fire Crystals are around 1.5-2k on my server and Copper ore is 9g each at the Blacksmith Guild. You'll make 2-3k easy for each stack.

A

Airslash

and finnaly hit level 10 :D

Also got lucky and found a scroll of protectra on a beastman. Saves me alot of gil to get one myself :)

Got some stacks of crystal and feathers on the AH, but seems to be getting alot less drops lately. At least one of my quests rewarded me with 1000gil.

So next time i'm on i'm gonne try this party thing :)

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best of luck partying! I check for you and the other new guy occasionally and I never see either of you on.

A

Airslash

hmmm.
I know i'm not online mostly during the week due work.
So best chances to find me is during weekends.

I also play from the CET timezone (GMT +1), so hope that gives a better example as to when you can find me online :)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your best bet which you said you are going to do is to group. Other than that, keep this strategy in mind as a spellcaster in general:

1. Spells (you aren't as effective if you don't have the spells you need and that people will expect you to have... hint: key point). e.g. see redmage and level 41.

2. Armor (armor provides refresh effects at later level that stacks with redmage refresh) Also MP+ bonus and other key bonuses that you will need.

3. Last and ALWAYS last...weapon. I mean you are a white mage. That basically means zero melee combat. Once you start grouping there is no need to solo and...you shouldn't. Once you get high enough level, 50 or so...you can go start working on your club and get it to 137 in Qufim islands. Just go from zero to 130ish fighting crabs then the acrophies (leech mobs...don't recall the exact name).

After that, don't bother skilling up club again till you hit 75 and can go to skillup parties. At that time, you will want to max your club out. A white mage with hexa strike is a force indeed.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3. Last and ALWAYS last...weapon. I mean you are a white mage. That basically means zero melee combat. Once you start grouping there is no need to solo and...you shouldn't.
So in other words, you'll ignore the damage and delay numbers when looking at new clubs/staves and you'll look solely at things like HP+, MP+, MND+, ENM-, spell interruption rate -, and etc.

But yeah, what he said. There is some great DEF and ATT gear available to a WHM at 75, and with Hexa Strike.. Look out. I love surprising my friends in skillup parties. :)

K

kouper

Best of luck partying! I check for you and the other new guy occasionally and I never see either of you on.
I dont know if you meant me, or one of the other 10 people who recently returned to ffxi, but i got so busy with work i havent been back on.... great use of a 14 day trial. hahaha. Anyway, im on gmt mountain standard time, +7 I think... and Im usually able to get on around 8ish in the evening.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GMT Mountain time +7 is a lot of contradictions in my head. Are you US Mountain time or GMT +7 (Thailand)?

And yes, I meant you and the op, the two on Caitsith.

K

kouper

GMT Mountain time +7 is a lot of contradictions in my head. Are you US Mountain time or GMT +7 (Thailand)?

And yes, I meant you and the op, the two on Caitsith.
Sorry, I typed while I was planning my itinerary for a couple tradeshows this year..... haha. Im in the US Mountain time. which is actually -6 and -7 in the winter... anyway. haha Sorry about that. My poor taru is sitting there waiting for me to have time to go out and let him asplode things...

A

Airslash

gnah 8 hours time difference. Means I need to play in the evening to see you guys get online in the morning :p

M

Marylene

me and a friend recently started again to :D

i started last nite on caitsith ^^ and i play in gmt 01:00+ zone
mayby we will see eachother online some time the ingame name is marylene
* might delete the char in a few days and start over cause im currently on a trial and going on a real account as soon as i found the software for the expensions*

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to Caitsith! And I've seen your thread but I have no answers for you. Could you look in an actual store for this?