• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Spin off from Thread: What would you like to see in the in game store?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
He is paying for 3 main accounts every 6 months and only uses the 90 day to have a few accounts for housing only so EA is making more from him because he stated that just for a house only account it is not worth the money to do 6 mo payments. If you use the 90 day payment then you are not playing UO really as you would only play 1 month out of 4.
People that cheat and exploit always have some cute little reason why it's ok. 1000's of people that would have no problem coming up with the money to actually pay for the accounts they use and now saying, screw it, if the exploiters can do it I can too. There's absolutely no way to justify this.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a very old system put into place to help our troops over seas that might not able to keep track of their accounts while they were in battle. You are exploiting a system in a way it was not intended. And your 20 bucks a couple of times a year I don't care about. It's the fact that these handful of exploiters started embracing an exploit which is now well known and expanding. Now you have 1000's of good people that would pay for the resources they're using and stealing from others. But now it's, HEY! Why should I be a sucker and pay full price when I can get a 75% discount? It's embraced by this dev team! Thus the sickness spreads and EA loses millions. The game shuts down, we don't get the size of Dev Team we could have had. I will admit the REAL cause of this problem is BS being gutless and not addressing this exploit. This exploit spreads because they don't have a strong logical person in charge who is able to make a right decision. BS gets swayed by a handful of exploiters when with a quick fix the money could be rolling in. How many dev teams would slap their full time players in the face and back the exploiters? Insane.... and selling gold at the in game store would ruin the game? People think that's a problem? LOL
BS will have no say in this whatsoever. If it will potentially lose subscriptions and therefore lose EA money then the decision will be solely down to EA. This will not be within BS's gift to implement.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I disagree. First of all, I really doubt there are many people scripting for gold, with inflation as it is? How many ogre lords would you have to kill even 24/7 to make a million gold? Why do that when an enterprising person could easilly make 100x that in a single day with minimal effort merchanting? Not to mention the fact that UO gold sells for next to nothing because the userbase is so low, it simply wouldn't be worth someones time to script monster hunting. Secondly, third party sites are not used by most, and probably unknown to many. They are kinda sketchy. Now if I could get all that stuff securely directly from BS, and they tell everyone about it... it will happen soooo much more often., and the impact on actual game play will be potentially much much higher. Thirdly, you clearly decry the practice, so you solution is to... do it more often. Since in your eyes the game was ruined by buying items how on earth could ramping up that practice help the game? Sure BS might get a few more grand a month, but the game could suffer so much that it might become much less appealing to a lot of people.

You keep saying "pay to win" but you aren't using the term correctly. By your standards any and EVERY game ever made where people can trade equipment is "pay to win" because you can pay someone for an item they have. What you are asking for isn't even pay to win in the truest sense, but it IS a step much closer than UO has ever been. Pay to win is putting something behind a pay wall that can only be gained by paying for it. That is what "pay to win" means. That is not what is happening in UO. Third party sites selling items is not "pay to win" because everyone has the same access to those items (baring EM even items where have no effect on any potential competitive gameplay) and no one must pay to get them.

Again with the "keep the lights on" stuff. There is no indication that the game is in danger of being shut down due to lack of funds. Even with hardly any people this game could run forever and turn a profit. It's not even in zombie mode yet. I for one think that if the game can't sustain itself with a monthly sub then it either needs to go free to play or just shut down due to lack of interest. The sub rate would need to be under 5k or something for the situation to be that dire, and honestly why keep it going with so few people? You could find more active free shards, or run your own for you and 100 of your current UO friends.
I nodded off about half way though... but what in God's name gives you the impression that UO is in a healthy state? lol We have one healthy shard. All the other shards put together make make another. When EA pulls the plug you'll probably get a 30 day notice. That's the first time you'll hear about it.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA Person: Hey Broadsword ... any reason why UO subs suddenly plummeted by 1000 subscriptions this month?
BS person: Yes ... we implemented a change that means the 90 day housing rule no longer applies
EA Person: And who told you to do that?
BS Person: There were a handful of folk whining about it on Stratics so we did it.
EA Person: "Youre Fired"

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
BS will have no say in this whatsoever. If it will potentially lose subscriptions and therefore lose EA money then the decision will be solely down to EA. This will not be within BS's gift to implement.
Ya know I feel ya on that. One day Bonnie gets out there and tells everyone that she's in charge! BS run UO! Then it comes to the least little call that requires the slightest amount of guts and suddenly there are so many things beyond her control. lol I have yet to find a link to any gaming site where they brag that giving away a 75% discount on their subscriptions made them a fortune and saved their game from ruin lol People might have noticed I haven't been hanging here in months. I've lost all confidence in the current dev team. Given up on them pulling it together. Although my real problem lays with the person that is suppose to be steering the ship. The ship is just drifting sideways and were suppose to concentrate on the nice view.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
EA Person: Hey Broadsword ... any reason why UO subs suddenly plummeted by 1000 subscriptions this month?
BS person: Yes ... we implemented a change that means the 90 day housing rule no longer applies
EA Person: And who told you to do that?
BS Person: There were a handful of folk whining about it on Stratics so we did it.
EA Person: "Youre Fired"
EA Person: How did you manage to increase income by 50% and reduce server load? You must be a genius!
BS Person. Hey we know what were doing here!

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA Person: How did you manage to increase income by 50% and reduce server load? You must be a genius!
Well, thats the real question isnt it. Would changing the 90 day rule make more money for EA as more people renewed their subscription monthly than cancelled altogether? Or would it be the other way round? I dont think we really know and which is why BS cant chance it and EA wont chance it

BS Person. Hey we know what were doing here!
No Broadsword employee ever said those words. Ever.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I nodded off about half way though... but what in God's name gives you the impression that UO is in a healthy state? lol We have one healthy shard. All the other shards put together make make another. When EA pulls the plug you'll probably get a 30 day notice. That's the first time you'll hear about it.
Well, first of all, they are paying at least 5 people to develop content and they have outlined plans for the rest of the year at least. A skeleton crew I know, but a crew nonetheless, all of which are probably being paid reasonably well. EM's are paid employees as well aren't they? I honestly don't know.

The game will likely go into maintenance mode before it closes. Of course you can't ever know, but I don't get a sense it's in any direct danger of closing any time soon.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Secondly, third party sites are not used by most, and probably unknown to many. They are kinda sketchy.

That has to be the most naive thing I have ever read on Stratics I can stand at the luna bank on catskills and watch the delivery character log in to make deliveries 30-40 times a day....some days many more.

And that is catskills an empty shard where castles fall and there is no one there to even place a new one for hours. The third party site most refer to was until recently the number one searched UO site. ( before vendor search)

The site still gets 1000's of hits every single day? I just cant believe people are this unknowledgeable about the game they play and report to be an expert on.

Oh and for those that want to grind on about inflation....when I started playing back in 2002 a large tower outside of Brit beach tram would sell for around 800 USD. 1 million gold cost $100 USD. Now a tram castle sells for 20-30 USD and 1 million gold costs between 10-20 cents. That isnt inflation!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The site still gets 1000's of hits every single day? I just cant believe people are this unknowledgeable about the game they play and report to be an expert on.
Certain people no doubt use those sites constantly. Many other people who play the game casually, do not, or do so infrequently.

I just cant believe people are this unknowledgeable about the game they play and report to be an expert on.
I don't recall ever having reported any such thing.

Oh and for those that want to grind on about inflation....when I started playing back in 2002 a large tower outside of Brit beach tram would sell for around 800 USD. 1 million gold cost $100 USD. Now a tram castle sells for 20-30 USD and 1 million gold costs between 10-20 cents. That isnt inflation!
Err... That IS inflation actually. Inflation coupled with a drop in demand. Gold sells for less USD because a) it is inflated, and b) it's in less demand, like UO property.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People that cheat and exploit always have some cute little reason why it's ok. 1000's of people that would have no problem coming up with the money to actually pay for the accounts they use and now saying, screw it, if the exploiters can do it I can too. There's absolutely no way to justify this.
LMMFAO So now I am an exploiter and a cheater and you are totally clueless. EA is in the business of making money and I know for a fact that there are people a lot smarter than you are working there and if for one second they thought they could squeeze one more penny out of us they would do it in a heart beat so even EA knows that what you are saying is total bullcrap.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That has to be the most naive thing I have ever read on Stratics I can stand at the luna bank on catskills and watch the delivery character log in to make deliveries 30-40 times a day....some days many more.

And that is catskills an empty shard where castles fall and there is no one there to even place a new one for hours. The third party site most refer to was until recently the number one searched UO site. ( before vendor search)

If it's the one I'm thinking of (and I'm sure it is), I used it last night. Never bought anything from it though, I mostly use it to check prices or, if I want to buy something, see if the item's on Atl.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Selling pets is no different then selling any other ingame resource. Ingots, wood, armor, or weapons. Players could still sell pets for gold because there are a lot of people that wont buy sovereigns ( or just cant afford them) and will still looking to buy things with UO gold. And is BS is smart and sells gold as well it will be a win win for player vendors. Competition isnt bad....it is good. as long as BS is smart about it's ingame economics. I am hoping one of the Devs had a minor in Macro economics
One of the biggest complaints you hear about is the amount of gold in UO and assuming that in fact UO has fixed all the gold exploits then the only new gold entering UO is through MOBs and all the gold being sold is just being recycled and you are proposing that UO sells gold, is this recycled gold or new gold? You also talk about people who do not want to buy sovereign could buy things with UO gold and that they could get that gold from BS, now how do you propose they buy that gold when they dont. want to buy sovereigns. I really like the part about Macro econ., you do understand that until UO takes gold out of the system, in a meaningful amount, then there is zero that any econ person could do to fix it. Pumping more gold into an already flooded market will lead to nothing more than runaway inflation.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One only has to look to 'Merica to see the direct application of this... dey print dem dollaz 24/7/365 in a few places...
I think Brazil did it once to try to boost their econ and ended up devaluing their dollar so bad that all their lenders called in their loans and Brazil refused to pay any of them and received a loan rating from the world bank of like ZERO.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey folks. I subscribe full time on all my accounts. Where's my extra 3 or 4 extra houses per account? Shouldn't I be treated as well as moochers and exploiters? There's no logic in this no matter how you try to spin it to make the buy one get 3 free deal legit. When you think of the 1000s that would actually pay for their accounts but decided to not be a sap and jump on this exploit EA is losing TONS of cash. Hopefully someone at BS will get some guts and do what's best for the game, the loyal honest players, and EA. Bottom line it's a win for everyone but the exploiters. What they lose would be pennies on the dollars they'd gain.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Certainly none that would permeate your myopic opinion of the matter. :p
Just give me my 3 free houses.... People hate facts. They hate admitting they're the problem, the mooch, the exploiter. Well if nothing else I've learned a lot about some of the people here on Stratics that have the exploiters mentality and the idea that they shouldn't be required to earn what they have. It's good to know the folks that should be avoided at all costs.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Certainly none that would permeate your myopic opinion of the matter. :p[/QU
Just give me my 3 free houses.... Well if nothing else I've learned a lot about some of the people here on Stratics that have the exploiters mentality and the idea that they shouldn't be required to earn what they have. It's good to know the folks that should be avoided at all costs.
Which is everyone, apparently. :rolleyes:
Just folks that think exploiting is a right. Folks that would steal from the game would have no problem stealing from me.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just folks that think exploiting is a right. Folks that would steal from the game would have no problem stealing from me.
Or your hardline definition of exploitation is subjective, not objective, but we've been over that already many times. I've also gone over how and why no one is stealing from you, but I know you have zero desire to look at the issue from any viewpoint aside from your ridiculously fanatical one. Bottom line, if EA would make more money by ending the practice, it would have happened years ago. They don't, and it won't. The most you are gonna get is a program to incentivize continual subscription probably akin to a vet rewards 2.0 type deal. So if you want those "extra" houses, you're gonna have to do like almost literally everyone else who plays this game does. Sorry, mate.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey folks. I subscribe full time on all my accounts. Where's my extra 3 or 4 extra houses per account? Shouldn't I be treated as well as moochers and exploiters? There's no logic in this no matter how you try to spin it to make the buy one get 3 free deal legit. When you think of the 1000s that would actually pay for their accounts but decided to not be a sap and jump on this exploit EA is losing TONS of cash. Hopefully someone at BS will get some guts and do what's best for the game, the loyal honest players, and EA. Bottom line it's a win for everyone but the exploiters. What they lose would be pennies on the dollars they'd gain.
What you fail to take into account with the 90 day shuffle is that for 75% of the time people have no access whatsoever to play the account. All it does is give access to a house, and thats the sole reason they keep paying every 90 days.

At one time I had 3 accounts running. For a while I did the 90 day shuffle on two of them. During that time I only had access to one account to play and that was fine and I was happy to pay every few months to keep houses standing. However ... given the ultimatum of paying full price for those other two accounts or dropping the houses I would have taken the second option without hesitation. I would have loaded up characters, bank boxes and pack animals, sold some stuff, dropped the account and never looked back.

What you dont seem to be taking into consideration is the amount of people who would do that and cost EA subscriptions, albeit quarterly ones. People obviously arent playing characters on those accounts. What makes you think they'd all of a sudden quadruple what they were paying in order to retain houses and nothing more. Most simply wouldnt.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Everyone says "Everyone is doing it!". EXACTLY! End the exploit, hammer the guilty, watch the money pour in. Not EVERYONE is a dead beat. They are just playing an exploit cause they can get away with it. I want my free houses.

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
120 Magery <add to cart>
120 Taming <add to cart>
120 Imbuing <add to cart>
Server birth rare <add to cart>
1 billion gold <add to cart>

Since UO has gone easy mode over the years I figure why not. Plus they can test out the mechanics of it all for when a F2P shard opens.
Sweet hot paperdoll beautifiers, with happenin backgrounds. Pay tops for that crack.