• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Spell Weaving Change Request

• Thread starter DarkScripture
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

DarkScripture

If there is to be a change to spell weaving can we please get a few circles around towns. Better yet can we get them say on the bank floors. This will allow other that are around to join up with out having to hunt down other players. This request may seem petty but on Origin we are few during the day when I play most. It would allow us to still use the skill to better effect.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The best change would be simply to give us all level 1 focus without the spell.

BTW, I think you all are probably missing the point on why the change was occurring...

1. Arcane circle only costs mana; no regs
2. As long as one has mana, one can sit and cast it.
3. People were training Spellweaving to the max level one can get to with the Circle spell by sitting on a circle and spam-casting, which is the probable unspoken reason the spell was nerfed.

#3 can be dealt with by making the change, then giving all the spellweavers focus 1 by default. Having them with focus 1 would also eliminate potential for other issues, such as if they ever come up with a Arcane magic that uses the focus level as a divisor (imagine crashing your shard because a spell decided to divide by zero!).

C

Clarifier

The "unspoken" reason this was changed is because using an exploit it's possible for a lone weaver to get a level 6 focus. I guess they couldn't fix that so they're just going to make it so the lone caster can't use the spell.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The exploit I keep hearing referred to seems to be the one that was fixed within a month or two of ML's release, by making a focus go away the second it's dropped outside the pack, anywhere. Has it become "unfixed", somehow? Or is it related to how/where it's dropped?

D

DarkScripture

Even if you are right about why , I think YOU missed my point. We have needed Circles in towns for a long time. SOME mage shops have them but if they were to be added to the bank floor this would allow ppl to use it to better effect.

C

Clarifier

Basara, I didn't know they ever did a fix for that but I just tested it and there's still one place besides your pack you can put the focus. I didn't test the entire thing but assume this might still work like it used to. Maybe they should just ditch the focus crystal all together and have the effect applied directly to the buff bar.

G

galefan2004

You do realise that when they designed SW they actually designed it so that you would actually hunt with the other spell weavers you got your focus with. I don't know what they were thinking, but that was the original design. The players quickly started forming groups to circle and then dropping the groups. I don't think they really need to do anything to make it easier for people to do this.

J

Joyous2K

I don't think they really need to do anything to make it easier for people to do this.
I think they do. Put pentagrams everywhere. Why not?

Also...

DOES having level 1 arcane focus help you gain quicker?

spoonyd

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't necessarily gain faster with a focus. They're just mad because people were training up to 35 or 40 (OMG the horror!!) from spamming Arcane Circle in their house or in a mage shop. Honestly to make a change like the one suggested to fix that is completely absurd. Weaving is already slow to train up to GM, plus it's not like it takes millions of casts to go from 0-35. Sounds like UO is whining back at us this time.

A

Ash

You don't necessarily gain faster with a focus. They're just mad because people were training up to 35 or 40 (OMG the horror!!) from spamming Arcane Circle in their house or in a mage shop. Honestly to make a change like the one suggested to fix that is completely absurd. Weaving is already slow to train up to GM, plus it's not like it takes millions of casts to go from 0-35. Sounds like UO is whining back at us this time.
I doubt that is the reason it was changed, since all it takes to get around that is have one other person in the circle since it doesn't take long to get up to 40. the other person doesn't even need to complete the quest. I think more likely it is as they claim that it was a bug that allowed people to cast alone, since every description of the spell says it needs other arcanist to create a focus. I think they should have let it stand as spellweaving is a pain to get a focus as is with large groups.