• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] Special wood types

P

Pandaros

Hi everyone. I recently GMed Lumberjacking (yey) but I have been really disappointed by how difficult is to find the three rare types of wood (frost blood and heartwood). In fact I have chopped 25k logs and I still haven't got one single board of these types. I get all the other special resources quite easily except brilliant amber, of which I only got 1 so far.

This seems really not fair to lumberjacks, when mining it's very easy to find valorite for example, especially when using a gargoyle's pickaxe + prospector's tool.

My character is human but I read that elves have a higher chance of finding special types of wood so the question is - should I change race?

S

StaticOnAtlantic

yeah lumber jacking is really screwed up, one thing that helped me a little was to kill myself (restart maybe) I know it sounds crazy but i have come across more "rare" type wood as of late.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems to come and go in phases. I used to get lots of the other color logs and no brilliant ember then lots of brilliant ember and not much colored logs. Probably the next few times I will be in the same boat as you.

UO Relic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried turning my LJ into an Elf and didnt notice it being any better, would still spend hours LJing and walk away with nothing to show. To be honest i've parked my LJ now got some of those vet reward stumps and get my high end wood from them way less stress and frustration and can spend the time doing something more fun.

I agree with poster above with garg pickaxe and prospectors tool I can find high end ore to work with now why dont they show us some love and give some items to boost tree woods

P

Pandaros

Actually what it does say here in the FAQ is that elves don't have a higher chance of finding a tree which yields heartwood for example. But if you find one such tree and you are an elf, you get more heartwood logs and fewer ordinary logs than I human would do. This doesn't really help with the problem of how to find such a tree...

Since my post, I managed to find 2 trees that gave heartwood and I hacked them a few times each but then they stopped producing it. Their hearwood-producing period lasted about 1 (rl) day. This is quite precise because I hacked them before and after that and only got ordinary logs. On the other hand, I have found valorite spots that I could mine for days and days before they stopped giving valorite... Maybe I've been unlucky, can't really say much based on 2 trees, but I certainly hope the next one I find gives more wood than this!!!

Noble Beast

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have found that the trees around HeartWood-Yew yield more specials. The Isles of Malas (between the Luna Bridge & The Caves near the Orc Fort) are also plentiful. I have an Elf & use Messilda's Axe. My beetle & Magery can handle the Vampire Bats. Good luck!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got my first of those three flavors of wood by getting a veteran Award treestump. The things are way to rare.

P

Pandaros

I have found that the trees around HeartWood-Yew yield more specials. The Isles of Malas (between the Luna Bridge & The Caves near the Orc Fort) are also plentiful. I have an Elf & use Messilda's Axe. My beetle & Magery can handle the Vampire Bats. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the tips. I prefer Felucca for the double amount of wood but I will also try Malas as you said. Meli's axe doesn't give a bonus to LJ if you are already GM, right?

P

Pandaros

Just to submit my GM lumberjacking experience so far, I have ljed enough time to get 85k boards and I still haven't got a single board of frostwood... I assume it still spawns... In terms of rarity a single board of frostwood should be like getting the crimson cincture or some other high end item :lol:

S

skulldug

I actually haven't had much trouble finding the coloreds and when I do find one I keep hitting the same tree every hour or so until the spawn changes. I'm at 5k+ Heartwood right now, 1k+ Bloodwood and 2k+ Frost at my house...I had over 2k Blood but used close to a 1,000 making my furniture after getting to GM in carpentry.

B

Boomers

what's a good price to sell the rare wood types in bulk? I spent about 3 days and chopped 500k lumber and just got a large mix of everything and i'm looking to sell on atl

U

UOKaiser

what's a good price to sell the rare wood types in bulk? I spent about 3 days and chopped 500k lumber and just got a large mix of everything and i'm looking to sell on atl
Even though it's rare the demad for the woods is low as there is not so much things you can do with them. There is applications the woods can be used for but not as priority to pay huge sums. So the price is lower than it should be for the rarety.

(Ammending previous post) Wait I stand corrected. After speaking with my fellow wood merchants there has being a significant raise in prices for wood. I assume this is because the ship expansion or other changes I have not kept up on?
looks like regular wood in atlantic has raised from 300k per 60k to +500k per 60k regular. Oak and higher still in it's price range 1mil+ with a some spiked increase lately

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its all about luck, the other day i found 2 frost trees within 2 screens of each other :p

unfortunetly they were both really small trees...

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wanted to confirm something.

To maximize the potential output if you find a tree that gives one of the special woods, you should stop chopping it before you get the "there is no wood left to harvest" message. Is that right? If I understand correctly, chopping it dry will definitely cause the wood type dice to roll for that tree when the next resource refresh hits.

Also, is the resource refresh rate roughly every 15 minutes?

Thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
gortman - that a UO Urban Legend - the devs have stated repeatedly that no matter if you chop a tree once or 100 times, before it refreshes, the chance for the type to change on the refresh remains the same; it's a "has the tree been used: yes/no?" question, not based on size of harvest.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Basara. Just wondering because I found a tree that has been giving me Heartwood for the past 4-5 days. If it makes no difference whether or not I "chop it dry", guess I might as well chop until the "there is no wood to harvest" message appears.

gortman - that a UO Urban Legend - the devs have stated repeatedly that no matter if you chop a tree once or 100 times, before it refreshes, the chance for the type to change on the refresh remains the same; it's a "has the tree been used: yes/no?" question, not based on size of harvest.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a short term timer and it chooses new wood if the short term timer does not expire when the refresh occurs. If you empty the tree dry in quick repetitive successions the tree will refresh with a new wood. If you let the tree refresh and only chop every couple hours it will remain the wood type until there is some global renew. I don't remember what the short term timer duration is, but vaguely between 15 minutes to three hours.

I have found that you can deplete any wood type you don't want on a tree by repetitive successions and force the tree to renew its wood type. It takes lots of work though and it is best to do this in a small area. I did this in Ter Mur one time just East and was able to get trees to change to special wood types. The special wood type change chance is rare so it commonly changes to normal wood each time. You have to be determined or gather lumberjack support to get any positive change.

I found the best way to lumberjack is with multiple stumps in the home. I think the only use a lumberjack is for a sampire. The developers like the game this way and are of the impression everyone has to pay for the wrongdoings of scripters and botters.

-Lorax

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I havn't gotten any frostwood since they randomized the spawns. I lumber alot since i still need some thrones. I get some bloodwood but no frostwood ever. I got like half a million plain boards in the same time...