• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Soooo... who bought WOW today? :) [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blue Fin

<blockquote><hr>

Sounds pretty similar to EQ2 then.

<hr></blockquote>
Yup it is, I bought it to try it out, and didn't really have to read the manual. most controls were the same as EQ2, and those that weren't were obvious.
I must admit to enjoying taming again, and played a little with Vialli and friends. was very enjoyable.
Graphics?
well EQ2 has more "realistic" grapics, clothes that move around in the breeze etc. WoW has more cartoony type visuals. I can't really say which is best, just two different styles.
The biggest difference between the 2 games is the player base. Lots and lots of self obsessed people in EQ2 (not me of course).

M

Moggy

Bought it on Friday and quite honestly, im loving it! Few problems so far which is to be expected with the 1000's of people who have logged in over the last few days.

Leveling isnt the main emphasis, the sound is fantastic and I really cant wait to meet my first Orc face to face. No doubt i'll end up in the dust, but it will be a pleasure getting there:)

Z

*zeph*

We look good all clustered in front of the vault /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Bring In The CLOWNs!!!

X

Xune

I would have liked to see WoW in Beta just to see what it feels like but as it was closed untill the end i didn't get the chance.

I visit a lot of forums of other MMORPG's though and generally i find that lot's of people like WoW but it's not lasting. After 1 or 2 months people are getting bored. Also the crafter skills aren't really that good, i believe you only need alchemy and first aid.

I believe the question wether WoW is succesfull can't be answered at this moment but rather when all players have played for a couple of months.

WOW is an example of how a MMORPG should be published in Europe though. I wish EA put the same effort in their releases. There's a sturdy playerbase in Europe that keeps playing allthough we've had a lot to put up with from EA.

In the end, i haven't played a mmorpg that gives me that much freedom to do things as in uo. I also like to put up a big hurray for the excellent work that is being done by the design teams etc. i feel that the publishes are really getting professional and communication is a lot better than in the early days.

To everyone that is playing WOW, i hope you enjoy your time there and get the most out of it.

N

Not So Wise

Just goes to prove you should judge nothing by what you read on boards because half will be untrue or baised and other half you will probably not understand what you read. Try it and THEN make your mind up.

<blockquote><hr>

I visit a lot of forums of other MMORPG's though and generally i find that lot's of people like WoW but it's not lasting. After 1 or 2 months people are getting bored.

<hr></blockquote>
Same as many do with UO, it's only a small percentage of total people to try UO who play for years and years.

Actually i expect wow drop out rates to be higher than average because many of it's players are MMO virgins and we all know MMO's are not for many people.

But considering just the European sales (you know that market EA can bearly be bothered with as it's so small and unimportant?) of WoW was larger that UO's worldwide subcriptions by anything as much as 100k (and that would be nearly a 1 to 1 ratio of box per person vs UO's what? 2 to 1 average of subcription vs person) your money would be pretty safe on betting that WoW will be around for long long time to come, actually safer than making same bet on UO these days.

<blockquote><hr>

Also the crafter skills aren't really that good, i believe you only need alchemy and first aid.

<hr></blockquote>
WoW crafter skills are just as, actually no, more important than UO's crafting skills due to no ability to really create mules.
You NEED no crafting skills in uo, only really desirable ones are smith and tailor and thats just to repair/enhance stuff (and repair deeds take care of repairing), alot of people once finished training never actually make an item again with their crafters. Due to mules everything else is readyly and cheaply advaible so why bother to make yourself?

You NEED no crafting skills in WoW either, but if you have any you will be using it and generally using it alot. Alchemy is one of the most popular as like UO people want/need pots but unlike UO you have not got 100's mules sitting at home grinding out 500 plus per hour via macros

And considering WoW professions were more just an afterthought than anything it's quite funny that they are as detailed and complex and form as integral part of the day to day gamelife as UO's does (or even more so)

Only system i have seen that is more complex and detailed is SWG's (and hear Horizons was/is too).

G

Hmmm lets see i'm playing :

UO (Ultima Online)
SL (Second Life)
EQ2 (Everquest2)

I bet i can take a 4th and a 5th game /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

Yeah i considered playing it but people said i shouldn't cause it's laggy and bugged.
But i REALLY feel an urge to play it cause all my friends do....

A

ActualFantasy

You been misinformed..

Ive had less lag then UO on a regular night and it does not matter at all if you have a high ping time. I also have not crashed once since friday (total playtime about 25 hours)

AF

B

Baphomet

Nope, wasn't me Barney. . tho I would if I saw you /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><hr>

Yeah i considered playing it but people said i shouldn't cause it's laggy and bugged.

<hr></blockquote>

Wait.. . you DO play UO right? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif Theres a few bugs in it but theyre known about. And if you experience any lag then its completely down to the PC you are running it on. Network lag is not an issue. I went on a raid last night with 40 other Horde and had no problems.

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ho ho ex-UO folk viciously defending another game......

Priceless ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/love.gif

How long before you viciously defend UO again....?

*keeps lots of seats warm and oils revolving door*

B

Baphomet

Only when people start spread bad information about it. Sorry that "buggy" and "laggy" are two highly accurate descriptions of UO Kas /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh heh, you can't have it all. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/love.gif

I make the sacrifice !

*chugs away in his little UO car*

J

)-Jarreth-(

Lets face it, EA have sexually abused this game since they bought it. We have had terrible publish after terrible publish. Buggy launches, non-existant support for europeans, a bug list longer than my arm SEVEN YEARS after launch.

People talk about WoW like the game we are playing now is all its gonna be. DO you honestly think a company as smart and capable as Blizzard are simply gonna leave out all the other elements they could add to the game?

Give em 1 or 2 years max, and the money theyve made they will have put back into the game, adding proper pvp, housing, more levels, more skills, anything UO has. (Well, not everything obviously, some of it UO can keep)

UO may be around for a long time with its die-hard fans, but comon, WoW has JUST started, and its allready giving UO a run for its money. With proper development time WoW will trounce UO completely.

As for ppl such as Trev and Hemi, im sorry but where DO you get this faith that the next expansion will "make it all better"? We have been waiting for EA to "make it all better" for YEARS. Any "amazing brand new project" they are cooking will undoubtedly be crap, as were most of its predecessors.

Someone summed it up perfectly for me a while back. UO is no longer a GAME, its a mechanic. You cant play this game without a bloody 500 page manual describing what to kill when, what gives good cash etc etc. Games like WoW and AO however need none of this. You can still have a perfectly reasonable experience without having to research the entire game mechanic to play them. Most new MMO's have tutorials developed to help noobs with everything, UO has nothing of this standard, leaving most people to the wolves the second they step out of Haven.

As Alex said, the fact that the launch of the ENTIRE GAME of WoW has gone smoother than any UO publish says it all. Give it a year or two and blizzard will have a MMO worthy of the name.

I will also say that i too left UO mainly due to my disgust at the people who run it. Its a crying shame that such brilliance has turned to such money-grabbing item-needing pixel-cracking trash. A crying shame indeed

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Lets face it, EA have sexually abused this game since they bought it.

<hr></blockquote>EA have owned Origin since long before UO was even a twinkle in Richard Garriot's eye. (To steal one of my mother's expressions /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif)

G

Garrison Darker

You need a manual to know what to kill and when? No it's common sense mostly. A huge dragon type creature would be harder to fight than a small rabbit type creature.
I'd rather I took a chance on fighting a monster than the [censored] way that EQ2 and WoW have for their mobs. I have cleared area x and reached a certain level I will go and fight in area y where the mobs look the same but have different names and are harder (I can tell this by their colour or the big number next to them).
You can't play this game without a 500 page manual?
Fair enough there is a steep learning curve in UO, but I think it's worth it.
WoW is a good game, no doubt about it but I am really fed up hearing about it on the forums for other games. Also I can imagine a few years time people saying how [censored] WoW is and moaning how it's not like the old times in 2005. It's always going to happen and you can't compare UO to WoW, they are a different generation gaming wise.

F

Freydis

<blockquote><hr>

you can't compare UO to WoW, they are a different generation gaming wise

<hr></blockquote>Thank you!!!

I

imported_mord mhor

My humble observations

1. UO is about getting things not doing things, get real. People like to shop ask Wal-mart or Tescos.

2. 500 page manual to understand, smacks to me of a very in depth game that may hold my attention.

To finish with a little proverb...

"All that glitters is not gold" You can keep your 3d.

R

retepsam

One thing I would like to say about WoW graphics.

I think the character models look really really distasteful. Yuck yuck yuck.

A

ActualFantasy

I see you are one of those that prefer fancy graphics and colors over gameplay...

And yes, i was playing UO because of the exact opposit..It didnt have fancy graphics, but the gameplay WAS excellent. But at one point, EA decided to make graphics and colors go before fixing bugs.

AF

J

)-Jarreth-(

What i meant by the 500 page manual is that the game is too open. By knowing the exact game mechanic of every single last element in the game, it totally takes the magic out.

As for 3d, or any new "big project" they have in the wings, i have learned from experience, and have NO faith in it whatsoever. Those that do are simply misled, they should look back at the past at all the times weve hoped and hoped and been dissappointed.

If this IS the expansion that will fix uo and make it all better and amazing and give it another 10 years shelf life, then i will happily eat my words, but i highly doubt that it will be.

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the only thing that pisses me off is how some of our greatest players instantly drop any loyalty they had towards the old game because they're playing "the new game". Isn't it possible to enjoy both....? The only reason I don't sample WoW is because I'm already playing SWG and UO. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I tell yer being dirty rotten scoundrel of a thief and a cosmic space age warrior with a lightsword are just as good as each other. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/love.gif

F

Findulas II

*Thinks a while*

Personally I have preordered a copy of WoW, but I was rather late out so I'm still like number something in the cue and the game appears to be mega-massively sold out in Finland. I don't know if I will like it, though it certainly does look a little more geared towards the casual player that I've become over the years. I did hunt down a US copy of DaoC when it came out, but it failed to thrill me back then.
My UO account has been closed now for three months, and at this time I don't really miss it but then I've come and gone lots of times. But I must admit to belonging to the romantic faction sorts of; I often think more about what was rather than what could be and thus restarting becomes harder every time; people change, rules change, the buzz changes.
The thing I sometimes do think about is how long have I really played UO. I mean, not technically had and account or even been logged on. I've had the aco**** almost five years, but I think I played only for the first year. After that it became something different than a game; some kind of a lifestyle. When I reflect on my hopes for WoW, I would like the "game" to come back. I don't know if I even want a game which I'll play for five years, but if it can give me inspiration for six months I'm more than happy. Quite a many of my close friends seem interested in it too; and that could be great. Nothing like an evening at the pub chatting over some silly hunt. But one aspect that I have tried to take into account in this change is to stop myself from learning too much about the game in advance. I think superior information sites like Stratics actually dried up much of the discovery element for me in UO; something for which I can naturally only blame myself. This time I intend to enjoy being lost without a clue *grins*
Oh, and for all those "EA killed UO" arguers, keep in mind that OSI became an EA affiliate in 1995... so, Garriot probably did have an idea about the game but it was in very early development?

I

IusedtoPKinUO

<blockquote><hr>

Soooo... who bought WOW today?

<hr></blockquote>

*raises hand*

Barney_wins_UO

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Barney has been in many games. WoW is the latest ones. I no liked many of the old games after 1 month coz people no knows me, but on wow, if I sayds sumfing likes:
'Yay, I wants a magec daggerds pwease fer teh wins on Wobbas!'

...then me get LOADS of nicey fwiends and stuffs sayin: 'Hewwo Wobba!' to mee. It funny!

No lag so far, just pc pwoblem a couple timeds.

And today....I KILLED 4 MAGEDS FWOM ALLIANCE WIV MY POO WOGUE! AND THEY BETTER N ME IN LEVELDS! BARNEY WOBBA FER TEH WIN!!!!

N

Not So Wise

<blockquote><hr>

Well the only thing that pisses me off is how some of our greatest players instantly drop any loyalty they had towards the old game because they're playing "the new game"

<hr></blockquote>
Would piss me off to, except for one simple fact, many people were "betrayed" nearly two years with aos (as last big wave were "betrayed" by UO:R) and in nearly every case they stayed "loyal" for over two years waiting for "things to get better" and seeing just the opasite in most case's (like perma since aos we have been hearing "just wait for the next big publist/expansion...hell now they have not even released the current one and EA are already trying to hold onto people by droping hints about the next one)

You can ask and expect loyaly, but there are limits. If anything would tip my hat off to anyone leaving now for sticking with a game most have been unhappy with in many ways for nearly two years.

(On other hand, those leaving now who have been unhappy since UO:R though i just consider masoquists)

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

hell now they have not even released the current one and EA are already trying to hold onto people by droping hints about the next one

<hr></blockquote>Which current expansion have they not released? Samurai Empire..? :/

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fair play chief, fair play, we have been taking it terribly roughly up the backdoor for quite some time now but there's no reason it can't get better.

*wrestles with Not So Wise for control of his rose tinted spectacles*

NO NO NO ! You're not getting them ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/bigglasses.gif

Heh heh, but seriously I think taking a break is a good idea, just don't go the whole nine yards and say "I'm quitting goodbye my loves, it was never meant to be!" because it was meant to be. So when the hot nights of lust and animal sex with your sensual new lady MMORPG fizzle out......

Don't come crawling back to me !

(Actually do because I'm keeping lots of seats warm, and the artifact pimped out wolves are at my door. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/loopy.gif)

[PS; We wouldn't have any of these problems if there were more free trials ! And I mean free, no credit card information needed or anything just a nice simple download. And then everyone can at least see whats on offer before deciding which company to become a mindless zombie with. Gaming freedom for the comrades !]

And hooray for Barney, its fair to say he loves UO but he's also having a blinged out mucklefest 5000 in WoW n'all !

Anyone want another exclamation mark...?

N

Not So Wise

<blockquote><hr>

Which current expansion have they not released? Samurai Empire..? :/

<hr></blockquote>
Before release of 7th AE they were dropping hints about UOSE
Before the release UOSE they were dropping hints about the secrect project to come after UOSE

It's almost like they knew how crap they were and they were NOT going be what people were waiting for so are trying to string them along till the next one and when that comes along they try to string them along till the next one and on and on and on.

All of which has left much of the player base prime picking grounds for games such as wow and EQ2, there is only so much stringing along before people say enough is enough

Like it is a bit of an oversimplification but...
If your TV was broken and the repairman promised for 2 solid years to come and fix it, he came and he tinkered many times (normally not at time he said was comeing of corse and generally left things worse than at the start.)

How long would YOU last before you found another repairman?

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
7AE was not an expansion, and took 0 development time, it was a repackage of AoS with a bit of clever marketting to make people buy it all over again, and so they did (Well, I didn't, but many many did).

As 7AE wasn't something that was worked on per se, EA dropped hints about SE before it came out, as SE was the upcoming expansion at the time of release. Even SE wasn't a real expansion imo, it was a filler, because the majority of the dev team were currently assigned to other things, but UO needed another box release, and some new content to whet people's appetites.

EA have been working on the secret project since even before the 7AE came out. The secret project is not just another expansion. This is why we've been seeing hints about it for like a year before any real information is made public.

N

Not So Wise

<blockquote><hr>

EA have been working on the secret project since even before the 7AE came out. The secret project is not just another expansion. This is why we've been seeing hints about it for like a year before any real information is made public.

<hr></blockquote>
The first real hints of the secret project from EA (not guesswork from players by looking at the wanted add's for EA) was in the california player meet during UOSE beta, Attendee's were made sign a NDA not allowing them to reveal what EA told them regarding it (while theirs and only theirs NDA's were lifted regarding UO:SE it's self)

This was no accident, you don't invite people to talk about one project in beta and just about to be released and confuse the issue by talking about another nearly a year down the road without reason.

Normal reason is you know what you releaseing now will not be enough.

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ho ho;

Are you getting nothing but bad criticism....? Can't seem to stay in touch with your customers....? Is your company becoming a big joke...? Don't worry, call 1-800-GAMESFUXD and receive easily implemented solutions for your day to day foibles !

Solutions such as;

Solution 24b: Mention a secret project ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/love.gif

Solution 123.5f; Ignore the problem entirely and promise a poll at some point in the future.

Solution 3XX: Churn out new content, quantity is the key, quality does not exist.

Whichever way you look at it GAMESFUXD solutions can work for YOUR company, what are you waiting for...!?

Become a competitor today !

Hooray !

J

)-Jarreth-(

Personally i went for AO. No subscription fee will always a be a clincher. On top of that, i really like the way the game has progressed. Funcom are confident enough that their game is addictive enough for people to want to buy and pay for the new expansions, and imo it most certainly is.

Maybe UO should offer a free membership package - the ppl playing for free would only be able to stay in brittania, not even LL for them, they wouldnt get custom housing or any of that, and they wouldnt be allowed to use powerscrolls.

T

The_Falcon

The EA secret project is actually a think tank on how to repackage the same old ideas and get us to buy the package.

i have no intention of giving up UO but I did fancy a change so got WoW to try.

I told my wife at 10 o'clock yersterday morning i was just going to have a quick look at the new game. I logged off a 3.15 in the morning, oops!

All I can say is it has the same sort of atmosphere between the players that UO had pre Tram.

As has already been said they are different genders of an MMORPG, both with their own traits and quirks but at the moment id say WoW is based around having fun as teams and friends, not just how many new gimicks can you collect.

B

BA_Barrackas

<blockquote><hr>

Well the only thing that pisses me off is how some of our greatest players instantly drop any loyalty they had towards the old game because they're playing "the new game".

<hr></blockquote>I still believe that the devs are working on something genuinely amazing for the game, but it has gotten to the point where it is beyond frustrating to have no communication of their plans. It's nearly March, and they said that they would start discussing the secret project back in November.

Playing WoW and seeing the richness of the in-game fiction also further cemented my opinion that EA's approach to fiction is rubbish. They neglect the huge base of background lore they have available and expect a small team of contractors, whose long-term influence over the game world barely extends beyond decoration, to be sufficient for telling an engrossing story to the entire playerbase. As I've said before though, I'm in no way criticising the EMs themselves, rather the devs for simply not caring about this area of gameplay.

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye it really is disappointing to see such good material associated with such poor leadership. One day though......one day.....

*dreams*

I'd like to believe EA's silence is born out of too much activity, but to be honest it seems more and more like plain pig ignorance. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/sad.gif

G

Am down to one UO account with my rp characters on, the rest of the game, I have had brief spasms with, but have felt like was getting the lubeless shaft ever since AOS with most of it. Had a brief comeback spasm after SE because it was quite pretty, and had fun hunting for tokimon and pking at the invasion, but it didn't last.

I genuinely hope the secret project is something special, I'd love to see UO on the rise again, especially for one friend of mine who, I think, will be here forever, but I'm not hpeful enough not to take a wander around ...

Now, WOW ... Been playing since sunday and have only really left the computer to eat, sleep and go to work *laughs* Incredibly in depth, very coherent world, tonnes of lore and quests, great graphics, immense world, nice pvp, nice pvm, little bit o' the ole rp lite ... and my friends are there.

it's that fun feeling, that up all night feeling I've not had since messing around with my friends pre AOS, and it's back again in force, that's why I'm sat where I am /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif.

G

<blockquote><hr>

that up all night feeling I've not had since messing around with my friends

<hr></blockquote>

Ooer! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/blush.gif

Sorry, I'm a bit of a child /php-bin/shared/images/icons/ashamed.gif

Should finally be able to play WoW tomorrow, after some computer troubles. Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

T

Tom Finn

WoW...
Tbh it is a faily good game, nice graphics and detail. but dont you think it lacks something? that uo has.

And it definatly lacks something UO had thats for sure. I dont know why people are leaving UO for it. It isnt a patch on UO.

people say OSI has messed UO up but give WoW 6-7 years and they will come up with a idea with is = to UO's AoS.

skrutchie

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any WoW fanatic out there who doesnt want their hat of magi in ol' UO ?
You could save me several months trying to get one !! and I'll fight
the lamers you left behind ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.