• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Soooo... who bought WOW today? :) [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Bought it this morning... been playing 8 hours now... enjoying 8 hours of it /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Fyi: I'm playing on "thunderhorn" server, with a Dwarven Hunter, let me know if you're around /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

(WoW char is "Sengir" - as is my main UO char btw)

P.

C

Conquester

Lucky you, LOL.

From what I have seen its been a complete catastrophy for the European release. The account set-up servers blew a gasket this afternoon and the entire release has crumbled for the majority of European players.

Whats most surprising is the fact that they had a similiar problem with the US release and it seems Blizzard just did not foresee the same problems over here.

What with the complete failure of EA to even release the last expansion in box form in Europe and Blizzard fumbling wildly on its most prestigious and advertised release it looks like not only is the hamster dead here but Blizzards rodents are also a bit under-fed.

I think us Europeans are really getting a bum deal on these MMORPG's and I for one am getting just a bit narked at it all.

Good look to you though mate - and pleased to hear the release went ok for you, to the thousands of others already taking the game back to the stores as they have no idea of what is going on I can only humbly walk away shaking my head.

To EA and Blizzard - us Europeans do exist and we do contribute to your corporate funding - how about giving us a break !

*strolls off back to Ilshanar where I may potentially be invisible for the rest of my life because I am a European*

*strolls back to add a furthur point.....*

Anyone noticed that the previously utterly pants forums are today working really smoothly ? - Maybe EA/Stratics knew about the mess up Blizzard were walking into after the AoS release catastrophe and finally booted up the boards to full speed so we can all laugh at them?

hehehehehehehe

Oh well, Ilsh it is for another night....

For those of you who bought WoW today - Welcome to the World of Waiting.

C

Conquester

For those of you interested and are running around these boards waiting - the WoW account creation servers just came back on - sort of.

*imagines a few thousand folks all storming in with CC details in next 5 mins*

I'll see ya back here lol....

C

Conquester

I LOVED this one ....

"I felt a great disturbance in the force, as though thousands of voices cried out in registration.... and were suddenly silenced."

*oops that'll teach me to post with paragon balron's about....grrrrrr"

F

Freydis

Not me!!! I don't like the graphics. It looks a bit too cartoonish for my taste...

N

Not So Wise

<blockquote><hr>

For those of you interested and are running around these boards waiting - the WoW account creation servers just came back on - sort of.

*imagines a few thousand folks all storming in with CC details in next 5 mins*

<hr></blockquote>
Yep they sure did and they eat a load of CD keys instead of giveing accounts for them. Now looks like load of us will be waiting till monday to get our accounts.

G

Conquestor,

Yeah, there were some problems, but I thought they were fixed quite fast actually. By 5PM (a mere 7hrs after stores opened) everything seemed to be calmed down and things were up and running.

Now, about the serverproblems. In the contrary to UO, WoW is definitely better programmed. If there is lag (in the morning I had a ping of 4 seconds, thats 4000ms), and I could walk around VERY VERY smoothly... only interaction with NPC's was (very) slow... so even in a worst case scenario your character can freely explore... not something we can say about UO...

Also, I had to order UO:SE in the States on an on-line shop to get it.... WoW I could buy in a store just around the corner.

Soooo... EA or Blizzard? My choice's definitely Blizzard!

Other examples: European servers are sorted: "English, French, German and other" (EA/OSI thinks there's only English and German players?), there is full support centered in Europe, there is a europe-specific website (working website), etc...

P.

Mil

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Soooo... who bought WOW today?

<hr></blockquote>

I did. Played all night! Well after I finally managed to register. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif
I love it so far! Very atmospheric. And I felt no lag at all although the newbie grounds were filled to the brim.

Been reading history and lore for a few days and I am pleased to see that the quests nicely continues the lore in game. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone had to wait in a queue to log in yet then....? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

Technically (Graphics, Sounds, Latency, Easy of use, 'helpful' features etc) the game's outstanding. Only time will tell if it has the longevity of UO.

PePe and I did have a lot of fun though... forget powergaming, we went jumping off dams! (and landing in a very sticky, wet, red pool at the bottom... :p).

It's a good game, but I haven't left UO for it yet.

G

I did also buy WoW on day it came out.. Bro bought it day after, after seeing it.. Its absolutely brilliant.. Ive become a bit tired off UO lately, (again), but still enjoy it... But WoW just brought a nice bit of fresh air into my life, so now I enjoy both and play like mad on both.. Hehe... WoW is quite good. On a RP server so lots of nice people.

Registration was okay at 5pm? Go away... I was trying to register for 14 hours, from 11am untill 1am... finally registered at 1am, when I had given up and had emptied half a litre of Vodka... I was so annoyed that I just wanted to drink myself into a stubbor and die... Lol..

But all good now!

T

Thorin Jaoshim

arg i hate wow, even though i havent bought it or saw it. Its taken the main soul of the veteran(4+yrs) players, but not only are they the soul of themselves, but the soul of this game and what it was and what it was meant to be. Curses AoS, (age of lamers) Wow has given them a chance to escape from Aos which ruined uo for them
=[

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Only time will tell if it has the longevity of UO

<hr></blockquote>I bet you my shop, my rares, and everything else that I own, that WoW's longevity will never equal that of UO (Think about it)

D

Dillinger

I got it and its a great game:)

Lots of uo ppl gathering on Bloodscalp horde atm.

E

Elv'eng

I got WoW, and i have already closed down 2 out of 5 UO accounts /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

I

IusedtoPKinUO

Bad insight you have , Hemi /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

S

Sherlock Flats

"I bet you my shop, my rares, and everything else that I own, that WoW's longevity will never equal that of UO (Think about it)"

Oh dear I think you are very short sighted Hemi, UO proberbly the best ever online game is very very old and out dated in 2005. Games like WoW and others are leaving it well behind. Until they spend some of the money they have scammed (selling rewards etc was the last straw ) of all of us over the years on making UO great again I am afraid accounts will be closed like someone earlier in the thread said they had closed 2 of there 5 accounts then it with be a third then a fourth.I have 2 accounts of 5 still left and as soon as I can find someone to take all the stuff I will close the lot. I have contacted several dealers in ingame items who deal in both UO and SWG (what I am playing now) and none will touch UO items.
Its sad that UO the Daddy of them all is now turning into the Sick old man of them all.
I fear Hemi that in the not to distant future your statement will come back and bite you on your ass.
Your shop and everything you own will be worthless when they pull the plug.

A

ActualFantasy

The launch of a whole new game (World of Warcraft) went more smooth then ANY patch in UO.

And thats a fact.

AF

B

Baphomet

So how will it bite him on the ass when its a bet that he cannot lose?

B

BA_Barrackas

My bro got it on Friday, and I started on Saturday (playing on Skullcrusher as an Orc Shaman). I'm really enjoying it so far, it's definately a breath of fresh air. The production values are fantastic, probably the best of any MMOG I've ever played.

I love how the fiction of the game is integrated so tightly with the gameplay and world design. You don't even notice that you're levelling up, it just feels like you're doing the quests for the fun of it.

EA have a tough act to follow up with this one.

E

Elv'eng

Hrrmm well.. it went alright, but not smooth.. The signup page crashed due to the heavy load, witch they new would come after the US release, aswell by the looks of all the preboking of games.

A

ActualFantasy

Well, i registered at 8:00 AM CET so i had no problems with that. I counted 17+ hours on my char over the weekend, and not one crash, not one bug.

Seems to me they did a good job.

AF

U

uk_crafter

I am waiting for the fuss to die down and the dust to settle - if the game appears to be a winner then I will go out and buy it.

For now I am quite content to just play against my CPU, there are lots of nice throw away games out there at really low prices and alot more fun then UO tbh..........

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The words "Hook", "Line" and "Sinker" spring to mind /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif

S

Sherlock Flats

Hemi....the only people being dangled by a line and who are biting on the hook are the likes of yourself who live and breathe UO and who believe all the crap fed to them, about UO going on for "ever"
I wonder what you will do when they pull the plug ?
Maybe then the real story of the "reformed" Hemisphere will be told but to be honest who will give a toss.

G

Me

By the way, a question to the WOW'ers - would you return to UO if the not-so-secret secret project turned out to be a 3d client and had good changes (such as pvp, crafting etc)?

L

Lady Violet

Got my WoW last friday aswell ... (tho' I couldn't play until saturday 12 feb.)

I also played beta WoW... WoW has it's advantages but still I prefer UO. And IF this "secret project" is totally new 3D (+ perhaps some new things like crafting etc etc) ... I would be more than happy play 100% UO.

But at the moment I play both games whenever I have time.

B

Baphomet

Sherlock, since this apparently needs spelled out. It. . . was . . . a . . joke.. .

T

Thorin Jaoshim

are you saying maybe a whole new 3d client to uo?
if that was the case i'd leave....
UO graphics = best imo
edit: 2d graphics.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A new 3D UO client is almost a certainty now, hopefully they won't be removing the 2D client, but it's certainly a possibility.

F

Flenser

From everything I've heard (specifically, SunSwords website http://www.sunsword.com/mt_archives/000273.html ) it sounds like a lot more than just a new 3D client. Probably more like a complete new uo.
Why else would SunSword be talking about character transfers between old and new versions of rpg's? It must be something he has had to give a lot of thought to recently.

Hemisphere

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Not Found
The requested URL /mt_archives/000273.html) was not found on this server.

<hr></blockquote>I'd like to read what you're trying to link to specifically so fix please /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif (I've been having a mosey around that site lately anyway)

Edit: Oops, it was just the ) on the end. I read that post, and I still don't think it's going to be a whole new game, based on what I've heard at least... but we'll see.

F

Flenser

ok, i've fixed the link. thanks for pointing that out /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Nah, I'm still convinced it's a new game. I can't see how they could make a fully 3d client that was compatible with the current uo world. Also, I'm sure I heard about the new housing system they are working on (wish I knew where I saw this now) where you have an estate instead of a house, and your characters get skill bonuses depending on what properties you have on your estate. So for example, a blacksmith's workshop would give your smithy a bonus of somekind.
Sounds pretty incompatible with the current uo.

Anyways, back to the topic, WoW.
So what do you do in WoW once you've level grinded all the way to level 60? Besides closing your account and coming back to uo of course /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

B

BA_Barrackas

I've become quite a bit more apathetic towards UO in the last couple of months, and increasingly so since I started WoW. Why? Because WoW really highlighted for me what I believe UO is missing. Things such as real immersion, a sense of story, excellent production values and consistency, skill training that doesn't feel like it is being done for its own sake and other minor bits and bobs.

With WoW, I can find myself getting caught up in the game and losing a couple of hours easily. With UO, I can barely stay logged in for more than 10 minutes these days. I know that the secret project is huge in scope, compared to past releases, but it's going to have to be monumental to sway me back. After seeing the amount of effort Blizzard have put into WoW, I don't think I could stand another shoddy release for UO.

B

Baphomet

<blockquote><hr>

So what do you do in WoW once you've level grinded all the way to level 60?

<hr></blockquote>

You get tooled up and go kick some wimpy Alliance ass /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif Level 60 is only the current cap. . that could be increased. Plus they are already talking about introducing "heroic" levels for past 60. Besides, its not like 60 is a weeks work or anything /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><hr>

Nah, I'm still convinced it's a new game. I can't see how they could make a fully 3d client that was compatible with the current uo world. Also, I'm sure I heard about the new housing system they are working on (wish I knew where I saw this now) where you have an estate instead of a house, and your characters get skill bonuses depending on what properties you have on your estate. So for example, a blacksmith's workshop would give your smithy a bonus of somekind.
Sounds pretty incompatible with the current uo.

<hr></blockquote>

To be honest, they are gonna have to do something pretty damn spectacular. I mean lets be realistic. Someone whos never played a MMORPG goes into a shop and sees UO and WoW sitting on a shelf beside each other. . . is he even going to think twice about which one he picks up? The MMORPG market is still a relatively new one and potentially a very lucrative one. I really cant see Electronic Arts, the largest games company out there wanting to be saddled with UO as it is for very much longer. The gameplay is there, the fanbase is there but graphically UO is years out of date.

B

Baphomet

<blockquote><hr>

By the way, a question to the WOW'ers - would you return to UO if the not-so-secret secret project turned out to be a 3d client and had good changes (such as pvp, crafting etc)?

<hr></blockquote>

Nope. I wouldn't care if it had the finest 3D engine known to mankind, I still wouldnt come back. I quit UO because of my absolute despair and mistrust with the company that runs it.. . no other reason. The only thing that would make me even consider coming back is hearing that it had been bought out by a completely different organisation. :p

N

Not So Wise

As we all know, EA generally treat European players like second class citizens, late release's (if released locally at all), low quality of local support (if at all), no marketing so forth.

General reasons? because the european market is small

OK i can understand that, they are a buisness after all and if a market is small you are generally going to focus where you largest market is right? Right

Just be carefull your potencial market size estimates is right, because wow just showed the entire MMO industry (including blizard) that all their estimates about Europe were wrong

A lesson for EA and virtually every other MMO out there

<blockquote><hr>

Overnight Success for World of Warcraft
15/02/2005
Blizzard Entertainment today announced that World of Warcraft has become an overnight success in Europe, achieving record-breaking sales in its first 24 hours since the game launched on Friday, 11th February. World of Warcraft has sold-through an estimated 280,000* copies at retail on day-one, selling more units in one day than what was previously thought to be the overall cumulative size of the European MMORPG market. This figure rose to more than 380,000 units being sold-through by the end of the first weekend. You can read the rest of the Media Alert here.
* Based on internal company records and reports from key retailers in Europe.

<hr></blockquote>

And just a FYI, thats about 30k more than first day sales in the US

N

Not So Wise

<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>
I doubt a 3d client will pull many people back from say something like WoW, like lets be honest, chances of EA createing a client to even come close to say WoW or EQ or SWG graficlly are none and less than none. New client will just appease somewhat remaining players (if not as ugly as UO3d..if it is thing everyone left would just quit) and make UO's age not look so apprent on the shelves when new players are compareing box's be very susprised if it pulled back a single who left for another game.

As to "good changes", at this stage for many people UO needs such a degree of changes that it really needs it's heart ripped out (well what they put in place of a heart after AoS) and to be virtually rebuilt from the ground up with something akin to visionary zeal
Aka NOT oh they want more houseing lets give it to them, more items? sure, colored pets? Yep can do (which judgeing by the "leaks" is what this project looks like), which only results..well in what we have now. A mismash of ideas thats little more than a mess. Ea needs to learn, yep lisen to customers, but don't let them design the game for you because customers are the worst designers out there

UO is in such a mess that if somehow community got taken out (the one thing EA did not put in) it would not susprise me if the servers shut down the follow week because everyone left.

R

Ratache Osis

I did the US closed and open beta and I've got to say i've no intention of buying the game. I've tried WoW and EQ2 and have actually REactivated my UO accounts after closing them to try Everquest, EvE, Acherons call 1 and 2, Anarchy Online, Starwars Galaxies and Beta'd Earth and Beyond, WoW, Mimesis and now Matrix Online. The graphics are superior to UO's in every case but thats not exactly hard considering the age of UO.

The big thing with WoW is that it is essentially no different to Diablo2. Start in area&gt;Complete all quests in that area until too powerful&gt;Move to next area&gt;Rinse and Repeat. Its the same with most others.

Players who are unable to do things in a game without being led by the hand through the content have watered down nearly all the new MMOs out there. The exception to the ones i've played is EvE, which I still play.

This leads to little replayability. In WoW if you make a warrior, go through all the quests until you get to level 60 what are you going to do there? If you decide to try a different type of warrior you are going to be doing the same quests all over again.

Earth and Beyond had a similar setup, or it did in beta, and look where that has gone to.

In UO I can create two warriors and have a different adventure with each as I progress.

Which is still going to be around in a couple of years...UO or WoW. My money is on UO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

would you return to UO if the not-so-secret secret project turned out to be a 3d client

<hr></blockquote>

The 3D client better be good then this time, not like the piece of crap they threw at us last time....

Not that i'm fond of 3D, in the contrary - but the cartoonish look of WOW makes it really a beauty to look at, and I highly doubt that EA would be able to make something like it for UO.... after all, if you look at WC, WC2, WC3, SC, Diablo1&amp;2 --&gt; all had excellent programming and graphics.

Btw: did you know that WOW runs smoother than the 2D client of UO on my old pC? That's just insane....

*leaves for another griffon flight with perfect animation*

G

<blockquote><hr>

I quit UO because of my absolute despair and mistrust with the company that runs it.. . no other reason.

<hr></blockquote>

To be honest that's also my feeling.... for a while now i have the impression that EA is cheating on us when it comes to UO.

The 7th edition joke (and the way rewards were sold afterwards) just made me sick... I could never imagine Blizzard trying to sell in-game things for cash.

P.

F

Flenser

The reasons you've given for not sticking with WoW beyond beta are the same reasons I haven't gone out and bought it. It seems to me that Blizzard have made a standard leveling up rpg and for some reason made it online *shrugs*

For me the only thing that WoW has over uo at the moment is graphics. Perhaps I'm the only one that feels this way, but I really, really don't care about graphics. Besides the initial wow factor, and being able to impress your friends, what do graphics really add to your long term enjoyment of a game? Has no one else spent stupid amounts of time playing Tetris, or spent years playing text based online rpg's? Graphics? Bah! It will take more than packaging to convince me to leave uo.

So come on WoWers, besides the purdy graphics you keep harping on about, what has WoW got to offer?

G

<blockquote><hr>

So come on WoWers, besides the purdy graphics you keep harping on about, what has WoW got to offer?

<hr></blockquote>

Was hoping you'd ask that... ok, let me start:

- in-game mail system
- in-game chat system which works
- highly configurable user interface (no need for "WoW Assist")
- quest system (UO has 5, WoW has 2000)
- group play (fighting in a group is rewarding in WoW)
- in-game AUCTION system which is just perfect
- combination of factors: no dependency on stratics.com, auction.com, or ANY website! Nor any dependancy on ICQ or MSN, everything game-related can be done.... IN GAME! Wooot!
- balanced characters, no useless skills like herding, camping, cooking, etc in UO - ok, fewer skills, but at least you can USE them
- stable! no reverts! performant shards
- MUCH stronger European presence of Blizzard than EA (EA europe? a myth!)
- player communication - IF the servers are going down (have yet to see it in released version, you at least get a warning BEFORE they do, not 2 days after)
- the company behind it (Blizzard knows how to program? - memory leaks are VERY UNLIKELY to ever happen)
- Compatibility to Macintosh (hehehe just to put on the list since it's a "plus")
- clear future perspectives (UO is nearly End of Life, WoW is just born and will very definitely stay for a while)
- and so on, and so on

for a detailed list, PM me, but really, TRUST ME, there's a LOT of differences, and most of them are in favour of WoW.....

And don't think i'm a WOW freak... there's only 1 game to which I've been addicted so much, and that's UO - have been playing it for nearly 5 years, and have been enjoying it for 4 years...

Grz,
P.

-

G

One last thingie /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Someone on another thread posted a little bit the biggest difference, and what UO came to... I hope he doesn't mind me quoting it:

UO used to be about DOING things, but has turned into about GETTING things (must get arti, must get marti, must get bod).

Wow is very much about DOING things.... and yes, it is about levelling, but the speed at which you level is completely unimportant since it keeps you busy independant of the level you're at.

No need to hit 23423487 earth ellies to gain 1% swordsmanship.... you just play the game and, as it happens, you level. Of course it's nice when you level, but it happens without noticing it.

Also, because of the ability to do everything in-game (chatting, mailing, auctioning), there is NO NEED to go to websites to find things out... thus, you can easily play without powergaming. With UO, you REALLY FAST get sucked into www.auction.com, uo.stratics.com ... and then the step to powergaming is really small. In fact, it is *nowadays* IMPOSSIBLE to gain skills in UO if you don't know the mechanics about it.... there is NOTHING in-game that tells you to hit this or that monster at this or that level - and this bugs me a lot!

Played WOW for a couple of days now, and haven't read a bit about it yet online (and probably won't do so since it is not necessary.....).

P.

Status
Not open for further replies.