• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some perks and problems with the changeling dog

• Thread starter Mighty_Ben
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
M

Mighty_Ben

I've been messing around with the changeling dog and I noticed some interesting things:
It can only be lored when it's not in human form, but anything else is ok. Its resists seem to change depending on what form it takes, making me think that a way for it to have high resists is possible. Also when it is in human form it uses whatever weapon it’s wielding. I've noticed he can even parry with a shield. I'm wondering if it can develop skills not shown on the animal lore scroll like monsters with necromancy or weaving. Perhaps any skill used could be gained? A gm swords and parry dog would be loads of fun. I don't think animals have a 700 skill cap. Although when he copies humans he gets junk resist armor. It seems to take my form more than anything else. I carried the redeemer and he gets a paladin sword when he copies me. Does about 30-35 damage and not even trained in anatomy or tactics with low str.

Has anyone else done anything interesting with the dog other than making him turn into crazy things?

On the negative side I seem to be unable to feed it, even right out of the stables when it's still in dog form. Its loyalty is now less than wonderfully happy. I'm wondering if its loyalty gets too low will I lose it with no hope of re-bonding it? Will it even be re-tamable? If anyone knows a way to feed it or bring its loyalty up that would be appreciated. If not I think this is an issue considering how much people like this pet and how difficult it is to obtain.

A

Antion_Vallin

From what I've seen storing the pet in the stables for a period of time resets the pets loyalty to wonderfully happy. Given they have a negotive taming skill requirement there should be no problems with it ever going feril even for non-tamers, but having one transfered to you or taming one will mean that it will never bond.

I've also experimented with and trained the changing dogs and this is what I've noticed:

<ul>[*] The base attack of the changing dog alters if it takes the form of a NPC or Player wielding a weapon. However, it's wrestling skill still seems to be taken into account and it's swing speed remains uneffected by the type of weapon.

[*] The dog only morphs the base properties of the weapon, so even if it morphs into someone with a Soul Seeker it doesn't recieve the "magical" bonuses of the weapon. This means the dogs highest base attack comes from it shifting into a player with a Halibard.

[*] While I am not aware if it's resistances change based on shifting into a NPC or Player wearing armor I'd assume from the above situation that it's best if a dog shifts into someone wearing platemail.[/list]

Really wish they would fix it so we could feed the changing dogs as well as Skittering Hopper.

M

Mighty_Ben

Great thanks for the info. I think the paladin sword is a bit higher base damage than a halberd if you can get ahold of a redeemer. So by what you are saying he'd swing one just as fast as if he was holding a dagger or anything else? That is... as fast as a dog with 125 dex would bite something?

A

Antion_Vallin

Correct. The dog obtaines the base damage of the weapon, yet retains it's normal swing speed. Though not compairable to high end pets you could put a shifted dog against a hired NPC guard and when it's shifted into the guard it should be arguably tougher.

A

Antion_Vallin

I was not intending to test it, but I always train my pets while guilded within town and my Dog frequintly shifted to different players with various equipment. I had been training my Dog aginst a particular Gamen that I keep for such purposes. The Gamen has been a sparring partner for my Dog, Giant Ice Worm and my Samurai's Lesser Hiryu. His next sparring partner will inevitably be my Easter Bunny. I chose him for low strength, high HP and high resistances.

G

Do you know if it gets set property resists for the virtue armour? Guessing not, but it'd be interesting to know for sure.

Tried it with scale armour yet? I wonder if the scale colour still determines the resists on the dog. If so, you could perhaps dress it to suit the foe.

G

Do you know if it gets set property resists for the virtue armour? Guessing not, but it'd be interesting to know for sure.

Tried it with scale armour yet? I wonder if the scale colour still determines the resists on the dog. If so, you could perhaps dress it to suit the foe.