• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Some of you seriously need to get a life

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some weinie paged on my house yesturday because there were 15 Dread War Horses in pens. Unlike most of the cheaters here i had them there so people could come and pick which ones the wanted, not to gimply train any skillz. Flame away if you like.

Funny part is this is a violation of house construction and nothing more.

Sooo all of you with pens built in your houses remember to remove all those pets you have there when you are done with your sales / trades or some pathertic little whiner will report you for cheating.

Don't bother with actual cheating going on, waste time look at horses in a house. I have spent 6 hours trying to get a GM to come and help my thief get abck into the theifs guild, no luck.

And all of oyu who recently recieved messages from EA play close attenion to this bottom parragraph;

Should Electronic Arts decide that the sole intent of the actions on this account were to defraud other players for personal gain, this account will be immediately terminated. Ultima Online exists only because of its community, and as that sort of anti-social behavior completely contravenes the spirit of the game, we will remove it in order to protect the rule-abiding members of the service. Please understand that any additional violations could and likely will lead to the immediate termination of this Ultima Online account.

Sad sad sad:loser::bowdown:

M

monnie101

I don't get that message. It's a nice one and all since UO rarely ever bans scammers or "defrauders" but I think they sent you the wrong copy and paste message lol.

I think they meant to send you the "no animals in a pen you dead beat roleplayer and most likely cheaptrick tamer trainer" copy and paste message. lol

Only in UO will they not talk to you when they mark you. We should start doing that in real life. Catch a criminal and hang him right away. Or start throwing people in jail and when they ask for what, just ignore them so when they are let go, people will ask, "why did you go to jail, did you learn your lesson" they will respon, "I'm not sure because they didn't tell me what I did wrong. *shrug* I hope I don't do it again" lol

C

Connor_Graham

there were 15 Dread War Horses in pens.
Unless you had 15 tamers there, most, if not all, of the war horses had to be non-tamed, which means that technically you were breaking the rule. They were an agressive creature that you were keeping penned and they could not get to you. Now I don't see what's so bad if you were just trying to give them away, but from a GM's point of view, I can see where a "straight lined" type GM could interpret it as breaking the rules.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
why is it against the rules to keep wild animals penned in your house?
It's a violation of the "blocking" rule. Basically you aren't allowed to use any object or terrain feature to prevent a mob from being able to attack you. So closing a pet in a pen, or blocking it with boxes to train magic resist is an exploit (one that is obsolete at this point). Technically training magic resist with the fairies caught on the rocks in the Wealde is probably also an exploit.

What we really need is the ability to "deed" pets and place them on vendors. You should be able to lore the deed to get the pet's stats. Choose "transfer" from the menu, target a scroll, presto, deeded pet. A deeded pet should be counted as a stabled pet for the purpose of stable slots. If you try to deed a pet or buy a deeded pet when your stable is full, you should be blocked with the "too many pets" message.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unattended purposes of gaining resisting spells, peacemaking, and other skills that can be macrowed away on creatures/animals in pens.

10 years ago, it was still a problem, except monsters could use and walk through moongates. People would set up a little path with boxes or other objects you couldnt walk over, lure some lich lords or blood eles into the trap, and open the gate at the end.

Opposite end of the moongate leads to the persons house, with another path of boxes to lead the monsters into the house.

Those crazy tamers.. gotta love em!

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i don't see what the big deal is. seems like a silly rule. who cares if people find creative ways to macro skills?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Key here is wild animals. Reason for that is because people use them for illegal skill training. Let's use provoke as an example. You could (and I've seen some post a picture of themselves doing this) pen up 2 bulls in your house, and macro you way to legendary provoke and not even have to be at your keyboard. This is illegal because 1) normally the animals would eventually wander away from one another unless provoked 2) if you fail at a provoke attempt and the animal was penned up, it could not attack and damage you 3) since the animals were kept apart they could not damage each other. Normal play would eventually kill one of them, forcing you to find another target.

Bottom line, it's illegal because it's going around the normal game play mechanics.

Besides, who want's a wild animal in their house anyway. They crap all over the place, Knock stuff off tables, and mess up the whole house. Just the other night I had a rabbit get in the house and dig a hole in the floor of my smith's shop, then when he came in to make some armor he tripped in the hole and broke the strap on his favorite pair of sandals. The only good thing to come from the entire incident was the tasty rabbit stew, and the new fur lined gloves my smith has. :D

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What we really need is the ability to "deed" pets and place them on vendors. You should be able to lore the deed to get the pet's stats. Choose "transfer" from the menu, target a scroll, presto, deeded pet. A deeded pet should be counted as a stabled pet for the purpose of stable slots. If you try to deed a pet or buy a deeded pet when your stable is full, you should be blocked with the "too many pets" message.
I REALLY like this idea.

V

Vyrquenox

It's a violation of the "blocking" rule. Basically you aren't allowed to use any object or terrain feature to prevent a mob from being able to attack you. So closing a pet in a pen, or blocking it with boxes to train magic resist is an exploit (one that is obsolete at this point). Technically training magic resist with the fairies caught on the rocks in the Wealde is probably also an exploit.

so if i lock a zombie in a room in covetous and stare at it, I am breaking the rules? Hmm.

V

Vyrquenox

Key here is wild animals. Reason for that is because people use them for illegal skill training. Let's use provoke as an example. You could (and I've seen some post a picture of themselves doing this) pen up 2 bulls in your house, and macro you way to legendary provoke and not even have to be at your keyboard. This is illegal because 1) normally the animals would eventually wander away from one another unless provoked 2) if you fail at a provoke attempt and the animal was penned up, it could not attack and damage you 3) since the animals were kept apart they could not damage each other. Normal play would eventually kill one of them, forcing you to find another target.

Bottom line, it's illegal because it's going around the normal game play mechanics.

Besides, who want's a wild animal in their house anyway. They crap all over the place, Knock stuff off tables, and mess up the whole house. Just the other night I had a rabbit get in the house and dig a hole in the floor of my smith's shop, then when he came in to make some armor he tripped in the hole and broke the strap on his favorite pair of sandals. The only good thing to come from the entire incident was the tasty rabbit stew, and the new fur lined gloves my smith has. :D
anyone setting about smashing red hot iron with a hammer on an anvil who is wearing sandals is asking for foot related injuries.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone setting about smashing red hot iron with a hammer on an anvil who is wearing sandals is asking for foot related injuries.
Well, after all he is just a blacksmith, not a rocket scientist :thumbsup:.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People who worked theirs up honestly care.
i don't see why people take pride in sitting there clicking a mouse thousands of times.

it is silly. you should take pride in finding the most efficient and creative way to get something accomplished. not force yourself to do things the hard way.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I REALLY like this idea.
I can't take credit for this idea, it floated around the old taming forums a few times, I have no idea who suggested it first, but it is a great idea.

One more detail. There should be a control check every time you try to buy a pet off a vendor, or accept one in a trade window, or redeed the pet. If you cannot control the animal, it should be blocked with the refusal message. I don't think any of this should be incredibly difficult to code as all the basic functions are already coded.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so if i lock a zombie in a room in covetous and stare at it, I am breaking the rules? Hmm.
No, you can stare all you want. Just don't try to gain skill off of it.
And please don't feed them either. Zombies may seem like a good idea for a pet, but once they get a taste of human flesh, they can't be stopped.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
People who worked theirs up honestly care.
i don't see why people take pride in sitting there clicking a mouse thousands of times.
Why do people take pride in anything? People take pride in things that are challenging some way, even if all that is required is patience and luck. Why be proud of anything you do on a computer? It's all just mouse clicks and keyboard taps.

Honest players get upset about this kind of cheating for the same reason they get upset when dupes flood the market, it completely devalues their honest game play, and makes a mockery of the small moral decisions that make up honest game play.

If you truly don't care about the challenges of honest game play, go play TC. You can have most things handed to you there with no effort on your part, other than the frustration of sorting through a bank box that is too full.

No, you can stare all you want. Just don't try to gain skill off of it.
And please don't feed them either. Zombies may seem like a good idea for a pet, but once they get a taste of human flesh, they can't be stopped.
word ;)

N

Noobish Noob

Quote: I don't see why people take pride in sitting there clicking a mouse thousands of times.

it is silly. you should take pride in finding the most efficient and creative way to get something accomplished. not force yourself to do things the hard way.

By that token of thought then why not just pay someone, say in a third world emerging country, to play the game for you. You could log in once in a while to oogle your latest arty or new bank balance.... all without having had to do any work at all.

Might miss a bit of the fun that way, but ohhh so easy.
I for one like it the hard way.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

So...then...if I dupe up 100 Val Hammers, 100 Ornies, 100 Jackals, 100 AoF, 100 Barbed Kits, 100 Crimson Cintures...and the rules of the game consider duping to be cheating...
And sell them all, instead of actually performing the in game actions required to get those items...you're OK with it?

By the way...when you PvP...you click the mouse...over and over and over and over...and push buttons on your keyboard...repeatedly...the same exact ones.

But yes...we know...YOU accomplish something...as opposed to people who do things by the book when they train...they shouldn't be proud...because THEY click a mouse repeatedly. And they just train a skill up ;egally, by game standards.

Um yeah.

Yep...there's some kick azz logic for ya. Lordy.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Aside from the skill gain issue, back years ago, locking up creatures in your house would completely bork the spawn system in UO. You could literally travel well known spawn areas (this is back when the East woods of Britain were popular) and NEVER see an actual creature EXCEPT for the ones locked up in houses.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do people take pride in anything? People take pride in things that are challenging some way, even if all that is required is patience and luck. Why be proud of anything you do on a computer? It's all just mouse clicks and keyboard taps.

Honest players get upset about this kind of cheating for the same reason they get upset when dupes flood the market, it completely devalues their honest game play, and makes a mockery of the small moral decisions that make up honest game play.

If you truly don't care about the challenges of honest game play, go play TC. You can have most things handed to you there with no effort on your part, other than the frustration of sorting through a bank box that is too full.

word ;)
the only thing you can get in trouble for is unattended macroing and even that is easy to pull off.

it's not about being "dishonest" it is about finding the best possible way to gain skill. being miserable about it and purposely doing it the hardest way possible is narcissistic.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So...then...if I dupe up 100 Val Hammers, 100 Ornies, 100 Jackals, 100 AoF, 100 Barbed Kits, 100 Crimson Cintures...and the rules of the game consider duping to be cheating...
And sell them all, instead of actually performing the in game actions required to get those items...you're OK with it?

By the way...when you PvP...you click the mouse...over and over and over and over...and push buttons on your keyboard...repeatedly...the same exact ones.

But yes...we know...YOU accomplish something...as opposed to people who do things by the book when they train...they shouldn't be proud...because THEY click a mouse repeatedly. And they just train a skill up ;egally, by game standards.

Um yeah.

Yep...there's some kick azz logic for ya. Lordy.
duping and skill gain are totally different. don't try to propagandize this.

also i love how you use the word "legally"

you should refer to it as breaking the rules, because that is what it is. it is dishonest to make things sound more severe by saying it is "illegal" it is not "illegal" to break a rule in a video game.

the rules are somewhat arbitrary anyway since the TOS states they can ban you for anything, no matter what.

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

it is silly. you should take pride in finding the most efficient and creative way within the rules to get something accomplished. not force yourself to do things the hard way.
There, I fixed it for you.

Oh and it's not about pride, at least not the way you seem to think it is.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
duping and skill gain are totally different. don't try to propagandize this.
Both are "Cheating" by game standards.

Don't try top rationalize this.

also i love how you use the word "legally"
you should refer to it as breaking the rules, because that is what it is. it is dishonest to make things sound more severe by saying it is "illegal" it is not "illegal" to break a rule in a video game.
If it wasn't "illegal"..."against the rules"..."cheating"...whatever spin you try to use to make it sound "OK to Do"...then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
They are not mutually exclusive...in fact...Duping and Trapping creatures for skill gain are the same thing....they are considered "Cheating" and "Illegal" in UO.

Both can get you banned from the game. In my book, that makes them "Illegal" to do, in UO. In UO...it is illegal to dupe...that is why the items that got people banned, that were allegedly in theior posession at the time of the banning were called, by EA, "Highly Illegal" items...understand?

the rules are somewhat arbitrary anyway since the TOS states they can ban you for anything, no matter what.
Riiiiiiiiiiight.

So...then...because they add the caveat that they...or you...can terminate your service at any time...then...you are able to interpret the published rules how you'd like to...because you think it is OK not to pay the price to gain from actual Game Play, but from an exploit.

Gotcha.

Like I said...you have some kick azz logic happenin'.

You sure do.

M

monnie101

I think it's silly. If he wanted to train by cheating their are way easier and faster ways. Not to mention they are always ways way less likely of getting caught.

His tattle-tailing neighbor is probably an animal hater! Damn omnivore! :talktothehand: We should egg his house. I know a cheff that keeps big egg laying chickens in Britain. Only 2 gold for a dozen. Back up the truck guys, lets paint this guys house yellow woohoo!

Nobody can be friends with the horsies :sad3: I remember when I and others would put horsies and Llamas in our pens for fun and roleplaying. Now we can't even do that.

Well they should put up a sign that says no feeding wild animals then! :mad:

B

Bodhi

I just dont understand some people... I personally dont even bother with what another player does, only thing i dont want is end up getting banned cos i bought duped items... If another player is macroing away, i let him be, i dont even page or think of paging on him. If someone is using the 'trap pixies in mountain' trick to train his cu sidhe's resisting spells, why would i bother, he has to run after his cu sidhe anyways to heal it. I dont get the difference between doing skillgaining the hard way or the easy way... If im happy doing it the hard way, why bother someone else with paging on him cos hes doing it easier then i am? Am i jealous cos hes gaining quicker? Do i feel forced to do what he does? No. In the game we can choose our friends and our foes, but wrecking someone elses gameplay is just not my league. I understand having something against a scripter running xxx accounts, mining away or farming gold etc... But someone training a skill? I see daily flaming going on about the subject here on stratics and it tends to bore me without disrespecting anyone, anyone has a valued opinion and should be heard. But for once, i shared mine ;)

M

monnie101

I don't like weinies either OP. They should grow up and be a saussage

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
it's not about being "dishonest" it is about finding the best possible way to gain skill. being miserable about it and purposely doing it the hardest way possible is narcissistic.
I'm not quite sure you actually know what the word "narcissistic" means... ;)

thelma1717

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol nobody wants to the work anymore always the east way out. hell ive fired many people over the years for always taking to long of breaks and to lond of lunches and its always those who break the rules who scream the loudest. whats our raise going to be , is it time for break yet , watching the clock , its funny to me dont want to work but want to get paid seems parents need to teach work ethic a bit more nowdays not well jets find the east way nothing feels better than doing it rite and knowing you completed it without cheating!!!

R

RenaLynne

Stumbled across a house the other day that had like 10-20 Cu's penned up. Didnt page, was just weird to see.

L

Lady_Mina

It would be cool if people had a stablemaster at their house...and could pick one of their tamed pets to be 'visible' in a pen while being ''stabled''.
Sort of like using pets as deco.

Same thing with regular stables...it's weird to see them 'empty'...
In other games the stables are always filled with horses.