• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Some Mining results

PaulCH

Journeyman
For those that are interested, here are some of my recent results from mining.

First my methodology (my "valorite" word for some notes):
1) Mining GM + 5 from gloves of mining
2) I use a prospector tool on every ore spot after the first dig
3) I use a gargoyle pickaxe on all spots that are agapite or better (after prospecting).
4) I sometimes use gargoyle pickaxe to upgrade bronze to gold or gold to agapite
5) Ingots from ore elementals are included
6) I recall to a mine and then clean out (as opposed to recalling around to specific ore type spots...can be done in a limited way before they change types)
7) I mine exclusively in Felucca
8) I mine mostly in caves but occasionally on mountainsides
9) I do not mine for regular gems
10) My char is human
11) I smelt all ore types on a fire beetle in my backpack in one shot as soon as my backpack is full (ie I don't smelt 2 or 3 valorite at a time to reduce loss)
12) Some ore was lost to digging with a full backpack

These are my results (sorry about formatting...tried adding spaces to improve it but they were removed when I posted):
Prospector tool 526 Total ore spots
Shovel 6316
Pickaxe 1222
Gargoyle Pickaxe 2186
Total digs 9724 4.06 ingots per dig

Iron 15902 40.28%
Dull Copper 9905 25.09%
Shadow 3553 9.00%
Copper 1620 4.10%
Bronze 1231 3.12%
Gold 2263 5.73%
Agapite 2187 5.54%
Verite 1545 3.91%
Valorite 1273 3.22%
Total ingots 39479

Fire Ruby 8
Ecru Citrine 8
Blue Diamond 13
Turquoise 9
Perfect Emerald 7
Dark Sapphire 8
53 0.55% of total digs
Blackrock 106 1.09% of total digs

Any questions then let me know. Wouldn't mind seeing some other people's results if anyone tracks them.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I mine the old fashioned way...no prospector tools, no garg pickaxes, no eles....I usually mine starting from the Wind Trail Entrance ALL the way around the mountain mining ore and gems, also using a fire beetle smelting all in one go, no mining gloves.

400 digs

1084 Iron Ingots
72 Dull Copper
58 Shadow Iron
25 Copper
80 Bronze
24 Agapite
25 Verite

12 Blackrock

1 Ecru Citrine

12 Star Sapphire
6 Ruby
12 Tourmaline
2 Citrine
10 Amber
8 Emerald
12 Sapphire
6 Diamond

PaulCH

Journeyman
Looks like the results of 2 sturdy shovels (I would've guessed pickaxes but they're heavier). Any reason why you don't use prospector tools? Simply availability? or preference? Gargoyle pickaxes may be preference or availability also but is it simply because you have a pure miner and can't kill the eles?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Preference mainly, I find plenty of the middle ores to really not need them...if I do happen to find an Agapite or Verite spot, they are ALWAYS an Agapite or Verite spot...random resources or not, my spots never change (Watch now they will now that I have posted it out in the open lol) so if I did need Valorite for anything I know where to get it...I have around 30 prospector tools at the moment and around 40k Valorite ingots. When I run low I'll prospect.

I do have GM Magery but no Eval, not a PURE crafter as that 100 points could be used for another craft, as it is I stone out fletching and Lumberjacking so technically could kill the ele's though it would take quite some time lol.

When I was taught the ways of the Smith, we didn't kill ele's..I don't even think those existed..the pickaxes I mean..I don't remember...he did teach me about prospecting but only when necessary...I guess I'm still following the ways of my teacher.

PaulCH

Journeyman
My spots tend to stay fairly stable also. Some stay for days or weeks...haven't figured out the pattern.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
My spots tend to stay fairly stable also. Some stay for days or weeks...haven't figured out the pattern.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but this is my understanding, which is backed by having mined for years.

There is a 1% chance to change the type of a vein every time it recycles. A recycle happens when the ore has to respawn - which is every time it gets mined and at server up. So on an empty shard where there's not much mining going on, it might seem like this "never" happens. If you hit a spot once a day, it would be pretty common for it to only change type every 2 months or something, figuring that sometimes when it does "change" it might "change" back into the same thing it was.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
11) I smelt all ore types on a fire beetle in my backpack in one shot as soon as my backpack is full (ie I don't smelt 2 or 3 valorite at a time to reduce loss)
I'm sure you know this, but a failure smelting 3 ore reduces to 1 ore. A failure smelting 1 ore reduces to .5 ore. Basically, you should never smelt an odd number of agapite, verite, or valorite greater than 1.

I assume you were going as fast as possible and expect the time necessary to smelt only even piles results in fewer digs and therefore a lower ingot yield overall.

PaulCH

Journeyman
Thanks...
I'm sure you know this, but a failure smelting 3 ore reduces to 1 ore. A failure smelting 1 ore reduces to .5 ore. Basically, you should never smelt an odd number of agapite, verite, or valorite greater than 1.
I'm not sure I knew that. I just don't have the patience to split them into smaller piles of ore but, as for simply making sure that I have an even amount, I may start doing that...at least for Verite and Valorite. I'll take my chances with anything lower.

Truth is that I mine just because I enjoy it. Part of my enjoyment is seeing the number of ingots mined up after a trip so I wouldn't like total smelting failure (to exaggerate to make a point) but I don't really let it bother me if I lose ingots here or there.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, with the odd numbers of large ore - the fractions are still there, just unseen.

If you smelt 3 large ore, and fail, it will display as 1 large ore - but you will still get 3 ingots if you smelt successfully on the second try.

I've seen similar results for other odd numbers, but not tested for specifics as to what happens with fractions other than halves (which of course approximate small ore)