• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bushido] Some advice on my Bushido guy pls

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So here I am, dead again, and could sure use some kindly advice from some of you warriors that know a lot more than I do - and I'm thinkin that's probably most of you.

Anyway, here's my situation - as briefly as I can:

I've just trained my old Lumberjack/Fletcher in the art of Bushido - just 'cause he hasn't got to play in such a long time (he's been sort of sleeping for the best part of the last 9 yrs or so). Oh btw, before he "retired" he found a tree that would give him 600 logs on a regular basis. Back then, that was pretty kewl...

Anyway, here's where I've got him now:

Swords 120
Bushide 120
Parrying 120
Healing 115
Anatomy 115
Tactics 107
Chivalry 23

His Str/Dex/Int are: 124/124/33
He wears a full 70's suit.
His ring is Str +7, Dex +7, HCI 13%, DI 30%
His bracelet is Dex +6, Int +6, EnhPot 20%
He also carrys a Totem HPR 2, LMC 10

I know, right now you're probably saying "So what's the problem" - so here it is:

I'm trying to get the last 3 dots to his Honor by killing Balrons in Fan Dancer Lvl 3, and it's not going well at all. As it stands now, it's Balrons 5 me 1 - and that's the problem.

Please keep in mind as you're mentally preparing to rip me a new one --- I'm an old bard/mage player and this char is my first "dexer" as it were. It's not like I've come here lookin for freebie advice before I go in - I've been in and things just aren't going as I would like. 1 Balron 5 deaths, I'm not pleased.

He's tried a Soul Seeker against my better judgement ( since I read one post where the guy said he kicked their but with it) ... Didn't do the job.

I've tried my 500k twink ( HML 57, HD 44, DCI 6%, FC1, DI 55%) thinking that should kick his silver butt, but he kicked mine again.

So, give me a hand here. I'm using the famous combo I've read about - Confidence/Lightning Strike ( which served me well till I "advanced" to Balrons), but the end result of all of this is: YOU ARE DEAD... :)

I have access to several SoulStones and other players on the account that have a variety of high skills... (just thought I'd thro that in).

Give me some veteran hints pls..... :)

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would try using a demon slayer weapon, and if you can get your chiv up high enough to cast EOO and consencrate weapon that would help. You can also get to knight by killing the succubus in the large room in the dojo. Just move the ronin to an out of the way location and leave it there. If you don't have a nice demon swords weapon, then the Luminous Runeblade works pretty good against it since its 100% energy damage.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would try using a demon slayer weapon, and if you can get your chiv up high enough to cast EOO and consencrate weapon that would help. You can also get to knight by killing the succubus in the large room in the dojo. Just move the ronin to an out of the way location and leave it there. If you don't have a nice demon swords weapon, then the Luminous Runeblade works pretty good against it since its 100% energy damage.
Hey thx Kellgory... Actually I thought about a Demon Slayer, but the only Swords weapon I could find was a Berserker's Scythe which is a 2 handed weapon. I can heal but I also use potions and have to drop the Scythe to drink. Besides, I was thinking that the twink I mentioned would more than offset the "double" damage of the slayer.

The last time I went in, he killed me faster than ever before - even with all that I have at hand. How can I "stay alive" longer against him?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without necromancy (vampire form) on your template, your best bet is in jousting. You hit it until it hits you, then you run away and heal up, returning when your bandages are done.

Another thing you likely need is more chivalry (65-75 should do it). If you can cast enemy of one, it makes the fight a lot easier. Fighting as a samurai is a lot different than fighting as a sampire in that staying put will get you killed more often than not.

Finally, you could just switch to killing succubi, Thrashers or Miasma to gain honor just as quickly with a lot less risk since they don't hit as hard as balrons. While the big bad balron is a good challenge, they don't work very well for farming.

And post-finally, don't underestimate the power of hit lower attack in PvM. Since monsters don't have extra hit chance increase, HLA can make a huge difference when your opponent is nearly as skilled as you are.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Without necromancy (vampire form) on your template, your best bet is in jousting. You hit it until it hits you, then you run away and heal up, returning when your bandages are done.

Another thing you likely need is more chivalry (65-75 should do it). If you can cast enemy of one, it makes the fight a lot easier. Fighting as a samurai is a lot different than fighting as a sampire in that staying put will get you killed more often than not.

Finally, you could just switch to killing succubi, Thrashers or Miasma to gain honor just as quickly with a lot less risk since they don't hit as hard as balrons. While the big bad balron is a good challenge, they don't work very well for farming.

And post-finally, don't underestimate the power of hit lower attack in PvM. Since monsters don't have extra hit chance increase, HLA can make a huge difference when your opponent is nearly as skilled as you are.
This is just the kind of dialog I was hoping for, so thanks Farsight.. If I use my soulstones for this, I'm thinking now to get 75 Chiv on him.. What should I drop if I do this? Or, I could also put Necro on him... Which would you recommend?

C

Connor_Graham

This is just the kind of dialog I was hoping for, so thanks Farsight.. If I use my soulstones for this, I'm thinking now to get 75 Chiv on him.. What should I drop if I do this? Or, I could also put Necro on him... Which would you recommend?
You need to drop your Healing to 90 and Anatomy & Tactics down to 100 to make room for the Chiv. Use Evasion when in trouble.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

If you have it on a soulstone Ninjitsu makes killing Balrons even easier than it is on a Sampire. Swap either Bushido or Parry for 120 Ninjitsu and with Mirror Images you'll have a 90% chance of the Balron missing you and losing you as a target, while you carry on swinging as normal. Its kind of like targeted Peacemaking but for half the points.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
What is your total DCI? I might have missed it, but I didn't see it listed. Remember, you are a tank with swords, bushido and parry at 120. Even without going the necro route, you should be using an armored swamp dragon with exceptional barding and have DCI maxed at 45. If you use divine fury you want it higher.

-OBSIDIAN-

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depending on the equipment used,balrons can be somewhat hard for a plain samurai. You should do as stated above,add at least 65 chiv to your template and make sure you got 45 dci.Have an imbuer make you a weapon with hla,hml,hsl.

The ninjitsu trick is also nice .A cat with 120 ninjitsu,no parry,high healing and anatomy and the right elemental damage weapon can easy do para balrons without running.But this leads to a completly different template in the end.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Just to clarify 4/6 Chiv to heal with & Ninjitsu Mirror Images was what I was referring to. Though Cat/Dog form could work as well, I just did it out of form so I could Cleanse By Fire (so it didn't retarget so quickly from staying Poisoned) & Consecrate.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man, my head is swimming - but in a good way - with all the advice here.

Of all the things that I'm missing on this char, probably what should have been the most obvious to me is his lack of DCI (I checked his outfit and it's a paultry 10%, which I will immediatly rectify with a re-suit)...

Not wanting to learn a whole new "profession" right now, I'm going to shelf the good Ninjitsu advice for my next adventure in char creation - but thanks to Lord God and Klapauc for your input.

I'll be taking Connor's advice regarding lowering Anat and Tactics for more Chiv and start using EOO and Consecrate Weapon as well as Confidence, Lightening Strike and Evasion.

And finally, is there any reason why I shouldn't be riding a swamp dragon?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

You should be riding one armoured Swamp Dragons reduce the damage you take.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I think you can get Swamp Dragons with up to 180 or 190 HP (check the hunters guide if you're bothered) which means theres less chance of it dying before you can log out and save it with auto stable.

A

Asahina Yajinden

just a couple of suggestions..
make sure your swampie is wearing exceptional crafted barding.. normal barding does not provide the 20% bonus.

you might look into a lesser hiryu as a backup mount if you get dismounted, you can use a pet ball and gain a lil extra help to take out the big guy's.

i run one of my samurai's as follows.. and using this setup i can take para succubbi.

swords,parry, bush 120
tact, anat 100
heal 90 .. using enhanced bandies i have over 50 fountains .
chiv 70 i'd suggest higher if u can find a good ring brace combo w/ Hci/Dci and some chiv. w/ imbuing nowadays this shouldn't be too diff.

and another thing i do that helps alot imho don't overlook Hci it's very important because... there will be times fighting casting monsters your gonna get mana drained and it's nice to have a better chance to hit w/ out lightning strike

w/ this in mind i run legs of bane, where alot of guys run the fey legs for the Dci, i prefer the legs of bane for the Hci, stam increase, and the poison resist's.

i noticed you said you chugged pot's.. don't forget about total refresh these can save your arse!!!
same goes for a apb box, and orange petals..... not to mention greater str pot's, petals of trinsic, and grapes of wrath for that extra dmg.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So here I am, dead again, and could sure use some kindly advice from some of you warriors that know a lot more than I do - and I'm thinkin that's probably most of you.

Anyway, here's my situation - as briefly as I can:

I've just trained my old Lumberjack/Fletcher in the art of Bushido - just 'cause he hasn't got to play in such a long time (he's been sort of sleeping for the best part of the last 9 yrs or so). Oh btw, before he "retired" he found a tree that would give him 600 logs on a regular basis. Back then, that was pretty kewl...

Anyway, here's where I've got him now:

Swords 120
Bushide 120
Parrying 120
Healing 115
Anatomy 115
Tactics 107
Chivalry 23

His Str/Dex/Int are: 124/124/33
He wears a full 70's suit.
His ring is Str +7, Dex +7, HCI 13%, DI 30%
His bracelet is Dex +6, Int +6, EnhPot 20%
He also carrys a Totem HPR 2, LMC 10

I know, right now you're probably saying "So what's the problem" - so here it is:

I'm trying to get the last 3 dots to his Honor by killing Balrons in Fan Dancer Lvl 3, and it's not going well at all. As it stands now, it's Balrons 5 me 1 - and that's the problem.

Please keep in mind as you're mentally preparing to rip me a new one --- I'm an old bard/mage player and this char is my first "dexer" as it were. It's not like I've come here lookin for freebie advice before I go in - I've been in and things just aren't going as I would like. 1 Balron 5 deaths, I'm not pleased.

He's tried a Soul Seeker against my better judgement ( since I read one post where the guy said he kicked their but with it) ... Didn't do the job.

I've tried my 500k twink ( HML 57, HD 44, DCI 6%, FC1, DI 55%) thinking that should kick his silver butt, but he kicked mine again.

So, give me a hand here. I'm using the famous combo I've read about - Confidence/Lightning Strike ( which served me well till I "advanced" to Balrons), but the end result of all of this is: YOU ARE DEAD... :)

I have access to several SoulStones and other players on the account that have a variety of high skills... (just thought I'd thro that in).

Give me some veteran hints pls..... :)

First of all, dont bother getting a demon slayer property added to your weapon. Its a waiste. If your EOO'ing, DI of 100 and honoring you'll be at your 300% DI cap and the slayer will do nothing. Use a harder hitting weapon. The twinkling scimmy is nice, but it doesnt do much damage. Try out some rune blades and get your suit to 150 stam. Have stam/mana leech and SSI on your weapons. I only saw mana leech up there. Stam is very important as well. Balrons arn't that tuff. Its just if you go un prepared (which it reads like you were) its gonna be tough.

Apples, Pots, Confidence, Evasion, bandages in your case...learn to use them all. Raise that chivalry up to 75 as well...no need to go past 100 healing and anatomy.

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also if you wanted too. If your human, use your jack of all trades ability to cast curse weapon. Its a necromancy spell that heals you for half the damage you do to a monster. For example. If you hit for 80 damage, you'll be healed for 40 hit points.

Takes 0 Necro to cast and you should be able to do it relatively easy with JOAT 20.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to all of you for your insightful advice.. :)

Right now I'm putting a different suit together based on your suggestions.

I've already dropped my Healing to 90 and Anatomy & Tactics down to 100 and added 75 Chiv to him, and my tamer got a Swamp Dragon for me which my Blacksmith armored with an Exceptional suit...

One (probably really stupid) question that I have is this:

Does going "over" 70 in any resist do anything at all, or is - say 80 Physical - a waste of 10 resist points?

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Does going "over" 70 in any resist do anything at all, or is - say 80 Physical - a waste of 10 resist points?
Its a waste of points if you don't do anything that lowers it...

Protection (for a Human) gives -14 Physical resist.
Protection (for a Elf) gives -15 Physical resist.
(Human Jack Of All Trades in Inscription makes the 1 point difference.)
Vamp Form gives -25 Fire resist.
Corpse Skin gives +10/-15/+10/-15/0 to your resists.
Wraith Form gives +15/-5/0/0/-5 to your resists.

...but you can overstack resists to stay at 70.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its a waste of points if you don't do anything that lowers it...

...but you can overstack resists to stay at 70.
That's exactly the piece that I was missing... Overstacking as a buffer.
I'm such a dunce when it comes to real fighters... Been a mage or bard for far too long..

Thanks God... heheeh, that phrase will never be the same for me.. lmao

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just a couple of suggestions..... .... using enhanced bandies i have over 50 fountains .......
Holy jumpin' crapola dewd... 50 fountains... Do you need a butler or anything? An apprentice Bushido to get your beer for you or anything? lmFao

A

Asahina Yajinden

well i figured w/ all the fountains i have 3 samurai's , and an archer so i'd always have enough enhnced bandy's.. and that's a good thing lol...

and yes if you'd like to be a vassal to lord Hichogiwa Dai.... im sure we could work out somthing