• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] some ABC questions from a returning player

F

Favith

I’m just returning to UO after a looong absence (last time I played was over 7 years ago). I’ve been reading that non-magic/bard/tamer templates actually work ok for PVM now, especially this ABC Archer build that everyone is talking about.

I’ve decided to go with the template that Connor has been proposing in other threads:

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Healing 100
Anatomy 95
Resist 90
Chiv 75

So, with this in mind I have a few questions:

1) Gear

All these new gear stats is a lot of get used to. I’m still reading up on what everything does, but can you guys with knowledge of a good ABC archer (for PVM, btw) give me a heads up as to what type of suit I should be trying to put together? First of all, does it need to be light armor still (like studded or leather) or one of the new armor types from SE? Secondly, what kinds of stats should I be looking for? I know I probably need the 70’s resist, but do I want luck, def chance, to hit, etc on top of the resists?

2) Weapons

So I gather a balanced bow is a must now (to drink while shooting). What other mods are important on a good bow? Mana leach since there is no focus/med on this build? What should be my priority?

3) Stats

Should I be working toward max dex on this guy or a balance of dex and int? (I imagine str does little for this build?)

4) Skilling up

Of the two, is Archery or Bushido harder to skill up? I have an adv char token to start this guy out with and I was wondering if I should make the archer (from the warrior template) and skill up Bushido/Chiv or make the samurai and skill up healing/archery/Chiv.

5) Profit hunting

When it’s all said and done and my suit/skills are good, where do ABC archers go to do some good hunting (solo for the most part since I don’t know anyone in-game anymore)? Is one place better for gold and another better for good loot? I doubt I'll be doing champ spawns until I find a good guild to run with, so I'm looking for non-champ loot areas.

6) Artis

I’ve seen a few artis out there that looked good for an ABC archer (at least in my mind). What are common ones people try to get for this template?

Thanks in advance for all the info! My account has some resources available to it, but I don’t want to blow my gold on the wrong stuff—so if people can give me some good ideas on what gear to buy that would max out my PVM abilities on this ABC template I’d really appreciate it!

Connor and others:

If any of you that regularly run this ABC template (or something similar) can give me specifics as to what gear/jewelry/weapons/artis you use that would be awesome. Atlantic has vendor malls that look full of nice stuff, but like I said I’d rather spend my money on something other people know works well!

Thanks again!

R

RichDC

Well, im not that big on the archery aspect of things but ill try to help with knowledge of other temps.

In regards to stats, i would be aiming for 150 dex and high strength. Strength give more HP and allows more damage. Int probably around the 40-50mana mark(can boost this with items).

In regards to the type of items, i would be thinking that either the hunters headress(+20 archery dex boost and 15%HCI) or spirit of totem(+20str 15%HCI)(head), jackals collar(2hpr and 15dex)(neck), Rune beetle carapace(15%LMC MR3 10or 15mana increase)(chest), fey leggings(20%DCI hp increase 6)leggings of Bane(20%HCI).

I would say in terms of mods on items, Stam increase LMC and MR should be your priority.

I say that because with Lighting Strike you have 60%HCI which is more than enough for PvM but this costs mana, hence the lower mana cost and mana regen. Stam increase as it will increase your swing speed.

Other than that i cant give any more specific ABC criteria.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I’m just returning to UO after a looong absence (last time I played was over 7 years ago). I’ve been reading that non-magic/bard/tamer templates actually work ok for PVM now, especially this ABC Archer build that everyone is talking about.

I’ve decided to go with the template that Connor has been proposing in other threads:

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Healing 100
Anatomy 95
Resist 90
Chiv 75

So, with this in mind I have a few questions:

1) Gear

All these new gear stats is a lot of get used to. I’m still reading up on what everything does, but can you guys with knowledge of a good ABC archer (for PVM, btw) give me a heads up as to what type of suit I should be trying to put together? First of all, does it need to be light armor still (like studded or leather) or one of the new armor types from SE? Secondly, what kinds of stats should I be looking for? I know I probably need the 70’s resist, but do I want luck, def chance, to hit, etc on top of the resists?

2) Weapons

So I gather a balanced bow is a must now (to drink while shooting). What other mods are important on a good bow? Mana leach since there is no focus/med on this build? What should be my priority?

3) Stats

Should I be working toward max dex on this guy or a balance of dex and int? (I imagine str does little for this build?)

4) Skilling up

Of the two, is Archery or Bushido harder to skill up? I have an adv char token to start this guy out with and I was wondering if I should make the archer (from the warrior template) and skill up Bushido/Chiv or make the samurai and skill up healing/archery/Chiv.

5) Profit hunting

When it’s all said and done and my suit/skills are good, where do ABC archers go to do some good hunting (solo for the most part since I don’t know anyone in-game anymore)? Is one place better for gold and another better for good loot? I doubt I'll be doing champ spawns until I find a good guild to run with, so I'm looking for non-champ loot areas.

6) Artis

I’ve seen a few artis out there that looked good for an ABC archer (at least in my mind). What are common ones people try to get for this template?

Thanks in advance for all the info! My account has some resources available to it, but I don’t want to blow my gold on the wrong stuff—so if people can give me some good ideas on what gear to buy that would max out my PVM abilities on this ABC template I’d really appreciate it!

Connor and others:

If any of you that regularly run this ABC template (or something similar) can give me specifics as to what gear/jewelry/weapons/artis you use that would be awesome. Atlantic has vendor malls that look full of nice stuff, but like I said I’d rather spend my money on something other people know works well!

Thanks again!
1. pretty much as stated LMC mana regen ,any di you can work in, any dex stamina you can get ,and of course 70's
2. Balance bows are not necessary at all with ABC archer make a macro for confidence and healself and you will be fine.
what you should look for is mana leech, hit spell,stamina leech and of course hci,di, and most importantly ssi especialy on the slower bows and x bows I would suggest at least 25 min to start and 40+ would best
3.125 dex take to 150 with items str at least 80 then the rest in intelligence you can be a elf for the extra 20 points mana
4.I would skill up archery but some may say bushido
5.i hunt alot in ish hunting paragons for the artie drops and such you can also do dragons lich lords you name it this temp is great at most things
6.well this depends but rune beetle cara is good so is jackals and ring of vile all depends I would not go with anything that ties you to it like hunters head dress unless you are just using it temporarily ( i am talking skill wise)

C

Connor_Graham

1) Gear

You'll want Mana Regen as your #1 property. After that Stam Inc, Mana Inc, and LMC are what you'll be looking for. Type really doesn't matter.

2) Weapons

Balanced isn't a necessary property for PvM. What you want to look for is minimum 30 SSI and high Mana Leech. After than Stam Leech and HLD would be good ones to have. I usually go with Crossbows or Heavy Crossbows, with the occasional Composite, all depending on what it is I'm fighting.

3) Stats

My base stats are:

Str 90
Dex 125
Int 40

4) Skilling up

I'd say Bushido will probably take a little longer than Archery just because it requires mana. The rest of the skills are pretty easy to raise.

5) Profit hunting

Balrons and Succubi are good for both gold and items once you get up to that level. Titans are great too, and are what you should be working on once you reach 95ish Archery.

6) Artis

I use:

Rune Beetle Carapace
Stormgrip
Ring of the Vile
Conjurer's Trinket/Primer at Arms
Mace & Shield Glasses
Crimson Cincture
Quiver of Infinity equipped for the Lower Ammo Cost (Quiver of the Elements in my pack to carry the ammo for the 50% weight reduction)

I would strongly suggest NOT using the Hunter's Headdress.

Connor and others:

If any of you that regularly run this ABC template (or something similar) can give me specifics as to what gear/jewelry/weapons/artis you use that would be awesome.
I listed my arties above. As far as the rest of my armor, everything is either val hammer or bkit crafted armor, all with MR, SI, and MI. I run with MR 9, 121 HP's, 172 Stam, and 103 Mana (elf for the +20 mana). My brace is Resist +12, Str 7, Dex 6, Int 7, DI 21. I listed the bows I use above, but all of them have Mana Leech and minimum 30 SSI.

O

Old Man of UO

Fixed it for you... heh

Archery 120
Bushido 120
Tactics 120
Healing 100
Anatomy 100
Resist 90
Chiv 70

This gives you the 5% bonus for Anatomy at GM. You fail a few more times casting the Chiv spells, but hold down the macro key until it goes off and you won't notice. If you don't want to do that, lower Tactics to 115 and you still get 2.5% more damage than with Anatomy at 95.

O

Old Man of UO

Hardest thing about this build is finding a 120 Tactics scroll...

F

Favith

Awesome replies all--thank you!

I definately have a much better understanding of what I'm doing and looking for gear-wise now!

Thanks again folks!

C

Connor_Graham

This gives you the 5% bonus for Anatomy at GM. You fail a few more times casting the Chiv spells, but hold down the macro key until it goes off and you won't notice.
Actually, you do notice, as I did, which is why I went with dropping Antomy in favor of fewer casting failures. The 5% damage increase is nothing when compared to failing 5-6 or more times with EoO, and the amount of damage you miss out on because of those failures.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
jewels with a few points fix this

C

Connor_Graham

jewels with a few points fix this
Then you get stuck with those jewels and have to redo both the template AND the suit if you decide to make any changes to either. Depending on items to replace skill means you're stuck with them.

The way I have the template set up delivers the max amount of damage overall for the points invested.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Then you get stuck with those jewels and have to redo both the template AND the suit if you decide to make any changes to either. Depending on items to replace skill means you're stuck with them.

The way I have the template set up delivers the max amount of damage overall for the points invested.
I agree but you dont have to redo the whole suit for 5 points on one jewel i just happen to have jewel that has this on it i would use the same jewel weather it did or did not have it I was lucky with my suit when I put it together I run with 80 to 100 di also built into my suit which makes for easier selection of bows just all depends on what I am doing

C

Connor_Graham

Ah ok, well that's a different story. I do the same with the +12 Resist that's on my brace. The brace would be used anyway as it has 20 total stat points on it plus 21 DI.