• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Social Distancing - No Guilds

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Swimming pool supply stores sell liquid chlorine. Not scented. Houshold chlorine is 6%, Pool store is 10% wholesale can be 12%.

Vinegar kills virus and other stuff.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All we used in the army was vinegar to clean when I was on KP (one two many times)

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
If you are having trouble finding food items at the store(s) where you regularly shop, some other sources you should check into are:

1. Community-supported agriculture (CSAs) in your area. A website you can use to find CSAs in your area is localharvest.org. Each CSA offers different items, but you will most likely be able to get eggs, bread, and produce (fruits, vegetables) and possibly other food items through a CSA. You may not be able to pick the specific fruit/vegetables you will receive each week, but it actually makes you have to learn what to do with things and try stuff you wouldn't necessarily have thought to try otherwise. You will most likely be able to set up your account to have your boxes/bags delivered to your doorstep.
  2. Dairies - Should be able to have milk and other dairy products delivered. Sometimes you can also order other refrigerated items like raw cookie dough.
  3. Stores that specialize in selling just meat, poultry, and/or eggs. Many are now letting you order online or have a price list you can consult and then you call in or e-mail an order, call with your credit card number, and then drive to their location and they will bring your order to the car.
  4. Small ethnic grocery stores or markets. In addition to selling specialty items, these small stores often also sell milk, eggs, bread.
  5. Restaurant supply businesses. Many of these companies are now taking retail orders and will have a price list or order form on their website to let you place an order. As above, you place the order online or over the phone, go to their location during a set timeframe, and they will bring the order to your car and even put it in the car for you and you don't have to get out of the car. This could end up being a win-win for these businesses because they have lost a lot of restaurant business and may be able to make up for some of it through retail orders. However, it isn't always a viable option if the package sizes are still geared for restaurants. Do you really have room for a 50 pound bag of potatoes or 20 pounds of chicken breasts? If you have neighbors or relatives that you can join up with, while still maintaining social distancing, this could still be a good option if what you order can be split between families. If there's a local association of chefs, check their Facebook page or website for leads on businesses that might be offering online ordering access on a retail basis.
These are just some ideas for how you might be able to get food that you can't find in the stores and can't get right now by ordering delivery from your grocery store, Walmart, or Amazon. If you haven't signed up for Nextdoor, now might be a good time to do so because your neighbors might have posted information about some of these sources on there. Or pay attention to your Facebook feed if you have friends and relatives that live in the same general area as you, as they may have posted information as well.

Unfortunately, I haven't stumbled across any good ideas for alternate sources of other products you might need now, such as paper products or cleaning supplies. Office supply or hardware stores might be a place to check. You could check their websites to see if you can order online and then go pick up the order and have it brought out to your car. I think many companies are just regularly doing that now to minimize contact between customers and the store staff. If you're into gardening and need materials, this could also be a way to get your potting soil, compost, pots, seeds, etc. Order online and then go pickup and have it put in your car. Same with crafting materials. I saw the other day that Michaels is doing that, i.e., order online and they'll bring your order out to your car. I don't know if Michael's stores are open in many places, because they might not be considered an essential business. But if you are a handy person and maybe looking for stuff like more yarn, that might be a way to get some without having to go in a store.
As someone who works with inventory in a hardware store, we've been stripped bare of tp and such as well. It's been at least a week since we could get any in the supply chains. We did just start getting our summer stocks of pool chlorine though.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you are having trouble finding food items at the store(s) where you regularly shop, some other sources you should check into are:

1. Community-supported agriculture (CSAs) in your area. A website you can use to find CSAs in your area is localharvest.org. Each CSA offers different items, but you will most likely be able to get eggs, bread, and produce (fruits, vegetables) and possibly other food items through a CSA. You may not be able to pick the specific fruit/vegetables you will receive each week, but it actually makes you have to learn what to do with things and try stuff you wouldn't necessarily have thought to try otherwise. You will most likely be able to set up your account to have your boxes/bags delivered to your doorstep.
  2. Dairies - Should be able to have milk and other dairy products delivered. Sometimes you can also order other refrigerated items like raw cookie dough.
  3. Stores that specialize in selling just meat, poultry, and/or eggs. Many are now letting you order online or have a price list you can consult and then you call in or e-mail an order, call with your credit card number, and then drive to their location and they will bring your order to the car.
  4. Small ethnic grocery stores or markets. In addition to selling specialty items, these small stores often also sell milk, eggs, bread.
  5. Restaurant supply businesses. Many of these companies are now taking retail orders and will have a price list or order form on their website to let you place an order. As above, you place the order online or over the phone, go to their location during a set timeframe, and they will bring the order to your car and even put it in the car for you and you don't have to get out of the car. This could end up being a win-win for these businesses because they have lost a lot of restaurant business and may be able to make up for some of it through retail orders. However, it isn't always a viable option if the package sizes are still geared for restaurants. Do you really have room for a 50 pound bag of potatoes or 20 pounds of chicken breasts? If you have neighbors or relatives that you can join up with, while still maintaining social distancing, this could still be a good option if what you order can be split between families. If there's a local association of chefs, check their Facebook page or website for leads on businesses that might be offering online ordering access on a retail basis.
These are just some ideas for how you might be able to get food that you can't find in the stores and can't get right now by ordering delivery from your grocery store, Walmart, or Amazon. If you haven't signed up for Nextdoor, now might be a good time to do so because your neighbors might have posted information about some of these sources on there. Or pay attention to your Facebook feed if you have friends and relatives that live in the same general area as you, as they may have posted information as well.

Unfortunately, I haven't stumbled across any good ideas for alternate sources of other products you might need now, such as paper products or cleaning supplies. Office supply or hardware stores might be a place to check. You could check their websites to see if you can order online and then go pick up the order and have it brought out to your car. I think many companies are just regularly doing that now to minimize contact between customers and the store staff. If you're into gardening and need materials, this could also be a way to get your potting soil, compost, pots, seeds, etc. Order online and then go pickup and have it put in your car. Same with crafting materials. I saw the other day that Michaels is doing that, i.e., order online and they'll bring your order out to your car. I don't know if Michael's stores are open in many places, because they might not be considered an essential business. But if you are a handy person and maybe looking for stuff like more yarn, that might be a way to get some without having to go in a store.
4 is what I've been doing. Frozen Samosas are amazing. Give em a try. I dated an Indian woman for a while and she enlightened me on those shops. I get veggies, spices, rice, and things like curry paste for a lot cheaper from there. I also get big bags of cashews for cashew chicken.

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Keep safe everyone.

@Tina Small - Great sugestions there.

So far in my little corner of the world New Zealand, we are still able to get what we need from the shops. Supply hasn't been an issue to date, although that will change if we are continued to be isolated for longer periods.
So far we have been given 4 weeks isolation, I reckon it will be quite a bit longer than this seeing as the government has issued a finance package of 12 weeks wage subsidy.

Luckily where I live there is a few small local grocery shops of basic local produce, due to geo distance NZ seems quite self sufficient.

As above vinegar is a good cleaning product, add a bit of lemon juice to it as well if possible. My old boy used it on windows at home as a kid with old newspaper. Old school....

Week one of isolation with a heavily pregnant wife and a toddler. Keep away from them as much as possible... :) Garden is looking smoking!

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Keep safe everyone.

@Tina Small - Great sugestions there.

So far in my little corner of the world New Zealand, we are still able to get what we need from the shops. Supply hasn't been an issue to date, although that will change if we are continued to be isolated for longer periods.
So far we have been given 4 weeks isolation, I reckon it will be quite a bit longer than this seeing as the government has issued a finance package of 12 weeks wage subsidy.

Luckily where I live there is a few small local grocery shops of basic local produce, due to geo distance NZ seems quite self sufficient.

As above vinegar is a good cleaning product, add a bit of lemon juice to it as well if possible. My old boy used it on windows at home as a kid with old newspaper. Old school....

Week one of isolation with a heavily pregnant wife and a toddler. Keep away from them as much as possible... :) Garden is looking smoking!
I know your pain are hole family was in a car crash in jan 2019 and we have been all home since then. Wife and I both had to have surgery we both need to have more and we found out she was pregnant. The rest of the pregnancy was not fun. The oldest started school this year and now they closed so am here with wife and 3 girls all 4 years old and younger.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Swimming pool supply stores sell liquid chlorine. Not scented. Houshold chlorine is 6%, Pool store is 10% wholesale can be 12%.

Vinegar kills virus and other stuff.
Do you know of any good sources for warning people about the dangers of mixing bleach or vinegar with other chemicals? I know some combinations can be lethal.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you know of any good sources for warning people about the dangers of mixing bleach or vinegar with other chemicals? I know some combinations can be lethal.
The pool store chlorine caps are vented so store them upright. In a month they will lose a large % of the chlorine due to gassing off. Dont store pool store chlorine in a garage or room. All your metal items will oxidize.
Do not mix anything with chlorine! Liquid Chlorine is a base and Vinegar is an acid so thats not a good combo. My son did a chemistry experiment where we put Dichlor in a glass container and then poured in some muratic acid. Closed it quick and the glass instantly filled with green chlorine gas. Mixing the two main powder chlorines (Dichlor and Cal Hypo) can start a fire really fast since that will produce heat. Putting almost any liquid in a bucket of Cal Hypo will produce a lot of heat.

Some of what they call facts on this long page are exaggerations. Link But the first not to dos are correct.
The Ph of a pool is what burns your eyes not the chlorine. Ex. Shampoo does not have chlorine in it. Its the Ph difference that makes your eyes hurt. I touch all types of chlorine daily the website exaggerates about that. The Ph of your eyes are around 7.5. Your tears can be as low as 6.5 so thats why tears make your eyes burn. Same idea with sweat. Chlorine in gas form burns your eyes. The trichlor tablets are very acidic splashing water from your chlorinator when putting tablets in will definatly burn your eyes.

Here is a good tip I found:
DO NOT mix household bleach with acid-containing or ammonia-containing household chemicals (drain cleaners, ammonia, cleansers). Dangerous amounts of chlorine or other toxic gases can be released.

You can pour vingar, chlorine, or cleaner in a pipe to clear a clog but choose one and do not pour one then another until you run a lot of water through.

When you smell chlorine in a pool you are smelling chloramines. The pool actually needs more chlorine to get rid of those. You can read about your city water supply and find out the level of chlorine they can have in the supply. Ours is 1 ppM. Clorine is measured in parts per million. 3 ppM can kill almost any bacteria or virus in a short time. Crypotosporidium is the worst thing that can normally get in a pool from a child (usually) that is sick and voids in the pool. Takes 8 hours at 20ppM to kill that one. It has a hard shell.
The worst animal around a pool is a Racoon. Their poop can contain some really bad things.

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED