• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So, spellweaving has been nerfed again.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are relatively POINTLESS in PvM. Hell, pixies in PvP are even poinltess if the person you are against has any skill. A simple mass dispell solves the problem. So does a hit dispell weapon.
Yes well many people do not have much skill. Pixies are easily handled by mages yes, but what summons aren't?

The heal over time without a focus isn't worth really using
You have got to be kidding, have you even used it? Its the best thing to put on yourself if your running through high spawn areas or you know your about to get hammered by something. It's also the anti-strangle.

the self rez is kind of pointless also because it locks you in place, and most times you really don't want to res in the place you just died
You can seriously be bagging out self rez... its invaluable sometimes and works even better in PvP. This however is only a backup skill, shouldn't need it if you use the rest of them correctly ;)

the damage absorb is decent but is limited in usefullness.
Limited in usefulness? How so? It nullifies at least 1 physical attack from your opponent, thats extremely useful even though you can only do it once every so often (which is good because any more and it could get a bit like evasion used to be).

I've used them all. Please don't talk to me like I don't know what I am talking about. All of them are SO limited that the ONLY reason to get SW for PVM is WOD. This nerf affects WOD more than anything else. From a PvP stand point its almost pointless to worry about...in PVM is it a HUGE change.
Well, we obviously have differing opinions because it to be a quite useful skill. Yes I don't argue that it affects WoD/PvM most, I don't even argue its a nerf. My only argument was that SW is useful without focus, which it is. TBH I could not care less how many focuses they let you have.

C

Connor_Graham

If you wait till she is at the percentage needed for a level 0 focus then you might be able to get in 2-3 WoDs before the thing is dead. If you have full SDI (like I do) then thats 1500 damage. The skill really isn't worth it for 1500 damage.
*SARCASM WARNING*

Yup, 1500 dmg within a few seconds, after having been mana dumping on Melissa with Magery & Necro until she got to that point, finishing her off in a fraction of the time it would take any other skill to do is just a waste.....

Then of course, there's the Gift of Life in case she decided to turn on me so I could self rez since I don't have Sacrifice built up, Gift of Renewal so I didn't have to waste time or mana healing myself, and Arcane Empowerment to give me even more SDI throughout the entire fight along with making my EV's harder to dispel.

Eyup, complete waste.......*wipes off sarcasm dripping from chin*

Really, do you ever actually go back and read what you write?

It just makes crowded templates more likely to get other skills instead of SW. I mean hell, I could probably work necromancy and spirit speak into my template now and dump SW.
Then go right ahead. The character I have SW on was built specifically as a caster character that will be able to outdamage even my Archer in Doom.

120 Magery (w/Crystalline Ring)
120 SW
100 Eval
100 Med
100 Inscription
80 Necro
120 SS

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uh...maybe I expect too much from people...but why would that part be unclear?
1. Requirements may not have been made clear. There may have been two sides of the argument for this change, and there may have been a misunderstanding as to which side "won".
2. Research during design may have made it clear that one kind of implementation was much easier, and a decision was made to change the requirements based on that, and this decision was not communicated to the entire team.
3. Research during implementation ... (see 2)
4. Implementation was not as intended, but QA received different requirements so they thought everything was working as designed, and QA is now asking for the actual implementation to be the new requirements, but there needs to be discussion before that can be agreed to.

Seemingly simple changes that really have numerous ways they could be implemented and a huge impact on users are the bane of software development.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually like to log on, focus, do my rounds and log off. I never find ppl to focus, let alone near my 105 range. Now, I feel naked without the level 1 focus. All the spells are so weak. Gift of renewal and Attune weap expire by the time I recall to a danger spot. Then there's the cooldown with NO NOTICE when you can re-cast. What good is it?

Yeah yeah, adapt. I don't have time for this c%^p.

Why why why change things when so many other things are seriously busted.:grrr:

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why why why change things when so many other things are seriously busted.:grrr:
TBH I gotta agree with this, I always baffles me how they always seem to fix the least damaging bugs first... but they have been going well recently IMO (ever since Mythic took over Dev), they still have the "EA WTF did you do that for?" in them though...

A

Ash

We're investigating this now - it does appear that the only way to get a level 5 is by casting in a circle that gives a bonus (Prism,) but it's unclear whether or not this was intended. I'll let you know.
Jeremy, any word on the focus yet? The description of the spell always indicated it was intended to reach level 5.

J

Jeremy

Not yet - Draconi's in Japan with that team for a week or so, so it makes communication a wee bit slower.

C

captainobvious

i would hope this goes back to normal..... this change cripples sw'rs that arent in a guild. its ok to assume that everyone in this game is in a group of others.... but that isnt the case. making major changes to the game that cripple average joe, just kinda stinks. imo...

A

Ash

Not yet - Draconi's in Japan with that team for a week or so, so it makes communication a wee bit slower.
Tell him to lay off the saki (or at least bring some back) and get on it. ;)

I finally get a group of 5-6 people together and we can only get a 4.

If really wanted to be nice to us, can make more places like prism, perhaps the circles in Heartwood since that is the home of the weavers it would make more sense to get a bonus there. But I understand prism has a risk vs reward aspect that other spots may not have.

J

Joyous2K

Tell him to lay off the saki (or at least bring some back) and get on it. ;)

I finally get a group of 5-6 people together and we can only get a 4.

If really wanted to be nice to us, can make more places like prism, perhaps the circles in Heartwood since that is the home of the weavers it would make more sense to get a bonus there. But I understand prism has a risk vs reward aspect that other spots may not have.
It's not the saki, it's just that there is no internet or telephones in Japan. Communication is A LOT slower. In WWII the US wiped out their infrastructure. All communication is done by mail now and not even airmail because planes haven't been invented there yet, it is all boat mail.

I just hope the Japanese don't ask for SW to be removed because it isn't retro enough.

Spellweaving stunk before and it stinks worse now. There was no reason for this. The +20 / -20 is a pain. 120 SW is difficult to justify in today's SW climate. I feel for the guy that got one just recently. I will hold out and see what happens.

C

Crystilastamous

The last patch seems to be a "Nerf Patch". Lumberjacking seems to have taken a hit (lack of higher-end wood spawning) and now Spellweaving gets busted?? Whats next? Magery losses the ability to use fc/fcr jewlery? Or maybe necromancy takes another hit. :wall:
Necromancy took another hit, they moved apple timer to 15 seconds instead of 120.

T

Thrand Graywolf

Please enlighten us to which games you are speaking of?
World War II Online, for one. Or BattleGround Europe something or other, whatever they call it now.

No equipment to collect, no stats to build...just personal knowledge and skill.

And so far, no one I've known from UO has ever survived more than two months over there when I try to get them to play it.

T

Thrand Graywolf

1. Requirements may not have been made clear. There may have been two sides of the argument for this change, and there may have been a misunderstanding as to which side "won".
2. Research during design may have made it clear that one kind of implementation was much easier, and a decision was made to change the requirements based on that, and this decision was not communicated to the entire team.
3. Research during implementation ... (see 2)
4. Implementation was not as intended, but QA received different requirements so they thought everything was working as designed, and QA is now asking for the actual implementation to be the new requirements, but there needs to be discussion before that can be agreed to.

Seemingly simple changes that really have numerous ways they could be implemented and a huge impact on users are the bane of software development.

I am an engineer...and this smacks of sloppy work. But then, so has everything they've done lately. This ain't rocket science, and the stuff they are screwing up should be fairly easy. They did not make the move to Virginia well.

I can guess what happened here, but it's not a very flattering guess.

G

galefan2004

And let me say to the person who said you use AE and then med ... um, wow, get some MR, LMC and some mana ... I can do AE and 3-4 WoD back to back before I have to med ...
10 MR 40% LMC 115 med and over 200 mana. It still takes 30 mana for a buff spell. Its not that powerful for what it does. Normally it makes more sense to just cast another WOD then to cast arcane empowerment first (it takes the same mana as WOD).

Anyway, one way or another, you should still be able to get your money's worth in the Prism of Light, and level 6 should still be possible. Yes, level 5 works, as does level 0, but I should not have to pay 10k just to get a focus over 4.
I don't desire to group with others EVER for any reason. I definately don't desire to do it for a lame focus. I don't have 5 other spellweavers around. Its great that you do, but I have a huge issue with a skillset that requires it. If I wanted force grouping I'd play WoW (oh wait I do and the funny thing is I don't mind grouping there).

G

galefan2004

I was going to reply to your whole post, but then I saw this, and thought "hang on!"

Please enlighten us to which games you are speaking of? Please make my day and say WoW, it will really make me lol :D
WoW is a game that doesn't involve humping the latest oped template and then whining because someone found a more oped template. It also doesn't involve almost everyone using cheats and everyone else complaining about those cheats.

I will say WoW because as long as I have played it it actually provides a fun and interesting PvP experience. You get right back in the field so the fight never ends. The templates are somewhat balanced (I can beat any class on any other class), and instead of whining about how everyone else is oped on the UHall people actually roll with the punches and play the game. Are rogues and hunters probably the most oped class in all of WoW PvP? Yeah. Do people constantly whine about them being oped? No. They simply figure out how to beat them.

G

galefan2004

Yes well many people do not have much skill. Pixies are easily handled by mages yes, but what summons aren't?
True.

You have got to be kidding, have you even used it? Its the best thing to put on yourself if your running through high spawn areas or you know your about to get hammered by something. It's also the anti-strangle.
Remove curse is the anti-strangle. I don't need it to run though spawn spots because I can run through a spawn (any level 1 in Felucca) without even getting hit.

You can seriously be bagging out self rez... its invaluable sometimes and works even better in PvP. This however is only a backup skill, shouldn't need it if you use the rest of them correctly ;)
Its limited usefullness at best. Most of the times when I actually manage to die its because I have Irk and 2 spiders hugging my corpse. In that case its a horrible idea to use it. On ther other hand, it is useful while in the actual peerless spots when you know you are going to die.

Limited in usefulness? How so? It nullifies at least 1 physical attack from your opponent, thats extremely useful even though you can only do it once every so often (which is good because any more and it could get a bit like evasion used to be).
It cost more mana than a heal to cast and a heal nulifies the attack as well. Its limited in usefulness although its still somewhat useful in given situations. What I'm talking about is PvM though and in most cases if the mobs manage to get that much damage off on me I'm dead anyways (I don't exactly PvM in a full resist suit).

Well, we obviously have differing opinions because it to be a quite useful skill. Yes I don't argue that it affects WoD/PvM most, I don't even argue its a nerf. My only argument was that SW is useful without focus, which it is. TBH I could not care less how many focuses they let you have.
I'll actually agree that it is useful without a focus. I was going a tad extreme. I also managed to get some WoD when I did a peerless the other day. My problem is that I read what other people were saying instead of testing it myself. Its still useful in a lot of regards, but it didn't need a primarily PvM nerf.

G

galefan2004

120 Magery (w/Crystalline Ring)
120 SW
100 Eval
100 Med
100 Inscription
80 Necro
120 SS
120 Magery is POINTLESS in PvM. It only affects success chance and healing and the damage done by mind blast.

120 SW is pointless (115 is enough hardly ever fizzle WoD).

100 Eval should be 120 (that is actually worth having at 120).

Other than that nice template. I never said that SW should be unnerfed...I simply said I would consider changing my template. I personally can't play anything but a tamer in UO because I feel extremely underpowered when I do, and I don't like feeling underpowered.

C

Connor_Graham

120 Magery is POINTLESS in PvM. It only affects success chance and healing and the damage done by mind blast.
That's your opinion, and while you're certainly entitled to it, I don't hold the same one. I find it VERY nice not to ever fail casting an 8th circle spell. That lack of failure comes in very handy quite often, not to mention increases the amount of damage I get since I don't have any delays caused by casting failures when casting summons spells. It's also very handy to be able to rez 100% of the time and get a party member back up and running without having any delays caused by failures. Since I'm only actually putting 100 real skill points into the skill, it's a moot point anyway.

120 SW is pointless (115 is enough hardly ever fizzle WoD).
Once again, I don't share your opinion. I prefer NOT to fail at casting WoD, thus increasing my damage as compared to the other player that fails at their first or second attempt to cast the spell. In the time it takes them to recast their 3rd and possibly even their second, I've already finished off the creature.

100 Eval should be 120 (that is actually worth having at 120).
My lack of failing at casting my higher end spells makes up for the difference between 100 & 120 Eval, especially when slayer spellbooks are taken into consideration. Sure, it would be nice to have this at 120, but I've only got so much room, and I prefer to take the overall amount of damage increased by lack of casting failures than to have individual spells increased. I've got enough SDI that the difference is negligible, at least IMO.

L

Lord Kynd

WoW is a game that doesn't involve humping the latest oped template and then whining because someone found a more oped template. It also doesn't involve almost everyone using cheats and everyone else complaining about those cheats.

I will say WoW because as long as I have played it it actually provides a fun and interesting PvP experience. You get right back in the field so the fight never ends. The templates are somewhat balanced (I can beat any class on any other class), and instead of whining about how everyone else is oped on the UHall people actually roll with the punches and play the game. Are rogues and hunters probably the most oped class in all of WoW PvP? Yeah. Do people constantly whine about them being oped? No. They simply figure out how to beat them.

this is not wow. please refrain from comparing two different games.

L

Lord Kynd

Human Warriors with zero skill that dabble in this skill now get their fun factor pulled. I liked the occational nature's fury and halidril spell. Forgetabout it now.... mana ain't worth it!!!!

This SW will belong on the forensics tab soon.

human players with 0 skill should never have been allowed to use this skill IMO.

perhaps this was a 'quick' fix for this, and hopefully it will get fixed soon.

just remove the human jack of all trade's thing and give us something different, maybe better loot in drops or gold percentage is increaced.

L

Lord Kynd

World War II Online, for one. Or BattleGround Europe something or other, whatever they call it now.

And so far, no one I've known from UO has ever survived more than two months over there when I try to get them to play it.
maybe because they are borring ?
:sleep2:

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps you're right, zero SW and yet humans can still do some spells, BUT, SW is perfectly balanced in a way. A warrior trying to cast SW in the heat of battle is just trouble. The devs must've thought about it prior and said, eh, mana intensive.
To nature fury, or To armor ignore... that is the question.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

UO has the most skill intensive PvP of any MMORPG. At least until Darkfall comes out this year, then it'll take over the throne. UO's major problem in PvP is EA's acceptance of cheaters.

Lol. WoW has RPS (Rock, Paper, Scissors) style "PvP" (It doesn't even have true PvP, it has CvC, Character vs Character.) Demo Locks w/ Felhunter **** Mages. Frost Mages **** Non-Arms Warriors. Hunters **** Mages/Priests/Warlocks (Demo Lock has a chance to survive). Fight a Paladin, get them near death, they pop the invulnerable bubble shield and Flash Heal their' health back to full. Manage to beat down a Druid in Bear Form (When you're doing 3-5% health damage a hit) and he just instantly pops into normal form, spams Lifebloom to heal, instantly back into Bear Form and Mauling you. In no way is WoW's "PvP" balanced, it's all RPS and equipment, only about 5% of it is Player Skill.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know Jeremy....pigeons might be faster.

Just how much longer do we have to wait for a response on this?

And a week or so in Japan...and it's now been a full two+ weeks.....

Y

Yalp

You know Jeremy....pigeons might be faster.

Just how much longer do we have to wait for a response on this?

And a week or so in Japan...and it's now been a full two+ weeks.....

ditto.

LORD Yalp of Zento, CTDM

A

Ash

I'll have it for the FoF this week.
Wow a response in 60 seconds, careful I could get used to that. :)

And if you need a cavorting club to beat the answers out of any one, i got an extra left from turn ins. :twak: (ok just wanted an excuse to use that emoticon)

T

Thrand Graywolf

UO has the most skill intensive PvP of any MMORPG.
I guess that depends on how you define MMORPG. UO is the best of the "fantasy" stuff, I suppose...though I haven't had the patience to mess with all of those level based clones.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FoF says more to come regarding the Arcane focus??

Um, me thinks weez gonna gets an expansion?