• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] So mining spots random?

DarknessDemona

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So books that were marked for colors no longer matter? Finding it too hard to mine for colored stone..

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Yes, quite a few years ago they randomized all of the mining and lumber jacking spot. Now a spot has some % to change type every time it's emptied (and maybe when we server up), so you need to move around a bit.

It takes quite a bit of time to gather the highest end ingots now. WAY longer got stone - since you might only get a few pieces of stone vs 50 or 60 ingots in Fel.

If you want ingots, your best bet is to get some gargoyle pickaxes, and prospectors tools, then at least all aga/ver/val spots are now valorite, and you get the chance to kill the elemental for another 25 ore.

Bax

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I agree with Tuan...the best way to get verite/valorite is with mining with gargoyle pickaxes & prospector tools to manipulate gold/aga/ver spots and hope for bonus elementals. I've also noticed the higher the ore, the more likely it seems to change colour when it respawns.
It is interesting to note though that spots that yield a high % of coloured ore will always yield a high % of coloured ore, so it is always wise to mark high yield spots and check them from time to time.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I think that the low end spots "change" but change right back into being low end.

Good point about not all ore veins being created equal.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I forgot to mention earlier that if you have the Stygian Abyss expansion and have characters that can kill and loot acid slugs, iron beetles, or fire ants, undead gargoyles, or putrid undead gargoyles, you can do the quests offered by Thepem and Zosilem in the Royal City. Those quests reward you with elixers to convert stacks of 500 ingots of one type of metal into 500 ingots of a higher-level metal. (You can also get some neat stacks of "inspected" ingots for decorating during the quest process.)

Here's a very nice illustrated guide to these quests: http://ode-guild.com/uostuff/thepem-and-zosilem.html .

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Vela works nicely. You can collect the 15k of gold ingots you need to make 5k agapite in about 90 minutes in Blackthorns dungeon. Then I can get enough points to get the cauldron from 1 trip through the void pool, which takes maybe 30 minutes or something. It still takes 54k gold ingots, and 1700 void points to get to 2k valorite (which is what you need to fill the LBOD for a val hammer).

54k gold ingots is roughly 4 boring hours killing gold eles in BT. Granted, you'll also get 10-15 turn ins too... This is not too bad. The real bummer comes when it's time to collect 1700 void pool points to get the cauldrons. This will take all day, as there's a 15 minute cool down between running the encounter. Lets assume you can get 200ish points every 45 minutes - that's 6 hours in there to accomplish your goal.

I suspect that in 10 hours of recalling around hitting random spots and using a prospectors tool + gargoyles pickaxe you can get more than 1000 valorite ore . Then it becomes worth it to grab one of the smelting talismans so you don't fail half your work away. I'm not sure if they're good for 750 ORE or 750 INGOTS though.

The problem, as I see it with the Stygian quests, is that it takes a LOOONNGGG time to get to the last tier. There's 55 hours worth of cooldown time alone. Granted, you can do other things, while it's running. The time investment isn't so bad of game time, but RL time. If you're like me, and you only have a few hours per day to play, I think it would take me nearly 4 calendar weeks just to be able to turn 500 bronze into 480 (since you lose 20 to getting them inspected) valorite ingots every 24 hours. Also, collecting 500 bronze and completing the quest every day isn't exactly time free.

You're best bet though is to put on your MBA hat and do some market analysis and cost benefit calculations. For instance: On some shards the economy doesn't respect this ratio of time. I typically only have to spend 1 hour to collect 1k valorite ingots, plus a few M worth of other sellable stuff.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Get 10 or so mining cart deeds.
They give out valorite ore far more reliably than mining does.

Also, the valorite smelting talisman is for smelting 750 val ore, which means 1500 val ingots.
The cauldron way is way better, unless you have 750 val ore sitting around.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So books that were marked for colors no longer matter? Finding it too hard to mine for colored stone..
Stone, any colored stone, is very hard to come by. Other avenues have been opened up for every other type of resource. I hope they will amend the oversight...soon...

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Stone, any colored stone, is very hard to come by. Other avenues have been opened up for every other type of resource. I hope they will amend the oversight...soon...
I wish they'd replace the stupid scales from the trade quest with stone!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My experience:
High-end stone is best mined like high-end ore.

1. use a shovel once
2. use a prospector tool once to elevate the spot
3. Use a gargoyle's pickaxe to continue mining. This elevates it again (with the danger of the ore elementals).

Even with random sites, elevating ore type twice results in over 8% of ore spots giving Valorite.