• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So level with me ....

Fenbay

Adventurer
Is a tamer with a good pet under the new setup the pinnacle of PVM for now? Outshining the venerable samphire for instance?

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i would say it's good to have both.
Some things are better to do with a samp and some are better to do with a tamer.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is a tamer with a good pet under the new setup the pinnacle of PVM for now? Outshining the venerable samphire for instance?
Tamers are good fun to play, have a lot of uses, can do far more, and you can use your imagination in a huge way with them, all very very positive, a huge improvement.

Are they now at Sampire level?
Not really, they cannot solo the sheer amount of content a Sampire can, but they aren't bad at all.
They can do things Sampire cannot.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are a lot of players like me who do not like to play Melee toons. Like Dan said, both are good to have.

But, I like to play my tamer or archer.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Tamers are good fun to play, have a lot of uses, can do far more, and you can use your imagination in a huge way with them, all very very positive, a huge improvement.

Are they now at Sampire level?
Not really, they cannot solo the sheer amount of content a Sampire can, but they aren't bad at all.
They can do things Sampire cannot.
What things can a super tank pet do that a properly equipped Sampire cannot do? Just curious, and trying to learn new things about the game also..Thanks for reply in advance. (Maybe this is wrong, but I understood that there is not much that a Sampire cannot solo also? Any Boss or creature?)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What things can a super tank pet do that a properly equipped Sampire cannot do? Just curious, and trying to learn new things about the game also..Thanks for reply in advance. (Maybe this is wrong, but I understood that there is not much that a Sampire cannot solo also? Any Boss or creature?)
They can take on groups of Mobs a lot easier than pets or other templates.

They use:

Whirlwind Attack – A godsend to a warrior surrounded, the Whirlwind Attack allows the fighter to strike at all nearby targets in one mighty spinning swing. Will not accidentally strike innocents, allies, or party members.
15 (M)Black Staff, War Hammer, (S)Halberd, Large Battle Axe, Radiant Scimitar, Paladin Sword, Gargish Talwar (F)Kama, (S)Double Axe

With a weapon that has Mana and life leech they can spam this over and over because each mob gives them mana and life.

If you know what you are doing then you can solo everything. They do use a template that helps with regens and blocking attacks.

Having one sampire and and a couple of tamers you can fly through things a lot faster than a group of tamers.

Their whirlwind attack works a lot better than a pets.

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sampires realy shine in doom because they can clean up all the side spawn without breaking off the boss

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Having one sampire and and a couple of tamers you can fly through things a lot faster than a group of tamers.

Their whirlwind attack works a lot better than a pets.
Kind of comes down to this:

Sampire is in control of their character and makes decisions on what it will do. They will use the abilities that fit the situation.

Tamer can tell the pet to attack, and then it will act like a mentally challenged monkey during the fight just randomly picking which abilities to use and those abilities might be inappropriate or waste mana. Like gooing a single mob.

Anything with a Tainted Life Force aura, a tamer would probably have an easier time with than a Sampire.

And Pawain is correct, duo of a Sampire and a Tamer is potent (or as they said a Sampire and a group of tamers).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tamer can tell the pet to attack, and then it will act like a mentally challenged monkey during the fight just randomly picking which abilities to use and those abilities might be inappropriate or waste mana. Like gooing a single mob.
I love that.

Players can pick their weapons based on the target. They have one of these and one for demons or whatever. They can wear a trinket with the proper slayer also. Their weapon does not need a bunch of stats.

upload_2018-4-8_23-55-33.png

But taming is the closest thing we have to being able to kill many things in the game. I have advanced quite a bit in the things I can solo or use my 2 accounts on.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I love that.

Players can pick their weapons based on the target. They have one of these and one for demons or whatever. They can wear a trinket with the proper slayer also. Their weapon does not need a bunch of stats.

View attachment 79780

But taming is the closest thing we have to being able to kill many things in the game. I have advanced quite a bit in the things I can solo or use my 2 accounts on.
Ty for info..

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My tamer performs much better than my sampire when I fight with Virtue Bane. I tried various setup on my sampire, all failed.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My tamer performs much better than my sampire when I fight with Virtue Bane. I tried various setup on my sampire, all failed.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I have 2 samps and 1 tamer. I rarely ever use my tamer for anything even though I really really want to. Currently trying to find content where having a tamer is better than a sampire. So far, it's Lady Mel. Sometimes, I'll use my tamer for roof to mix things up a bit.

Tamers are amazing partners though. Especially bard tamers with with beetles but those players are rare. Everyone loves their Cu.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have 2 samps and 1 tamer. I rarely ever use my tamer for anything even though I really really want to. Currently trying to find content where having a tamer is better than a sampire. So far, it's Lady Mel. Sometimes, I'll use my tamer for roof to mix things up a bit.

Against something with Tainted Life Aura, I either drop necro for healing or swap to my Paladin.

Tamers are amazing partners though. Especially bard tamers with with beetles but those players are rare. Everyone loves their Cu.
You’d rather hammer on Scalis with a paladin rather than healing a pet from a distance?

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You’d rather hammer on Scalis with a paladin rather than healing a pet from a distance?
You got me there! I usually bring my paladin, drop melee and pick up archery for that. It's pretty tough trying to honor Scali with 10 other people around just waiting to smack it so tamers are probably way better and do more total damage with spellcasting/WOD + pet damage.

Fenbay

Adventurer
Kind of comes down to this:

).
Hehe ... funny quote. You kind of described me trying to play my sampire. :)