• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So, If I've Never Played Before . . .

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm thinking seriously about giving WoW a try. In all my years as a gamer, I never have. Suffering major MMO fatigue, but the franchise has been untouchable for so many years that it makes me wonder what I'm missing out on.

I'm not really sure what character to try first. A major contributing factor to my fatigue is that for X situation, you should use Y class with Z armor, or you'll basically be useless. I play mostly alone and casually. My favorite classes tend to be rogues (GW2: thief; Neverwinter: rogue; Hearthstone: rogue; UO: PvP thief). It's less messy to dodge, stealth, and range attack. However, because I play mostly alone, survivability would be beneficial. Simplicity is also valuable to me, since I'm new. Not trying to end-game it, not trying to find a top guild. Just want to start with something fun so I don't give up right away because of all the calculations.

Okay, you're the experts. Go.

Skunk

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Start with a rogue then. I dont play anymore but it is an amazing game. It will walk you thru the basics and you will catch on quickly.

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Damn, glad to hear Taylor! So you know, Rogue in WoW is very much a stealth and gamble class and will be near 100 percent melee. If you want a typical archer/thief you could try Hunter, which is a pet class, with a lot of abilities to avoid damage through finesse and dealing nearly 100 percent ranged damage. Because of the pet, the Hunter class is commonly considered the most solo-friendly class by a wide margin.

Either way, if you have played MMO before, you'll likely find your niche quickly in WoW. The different class meta that exists in various games are pretty similar.
You mention you play mostly solo, which is natural and certainly an option, but eventually I would really say that you will grow bored with the game following that route.
The main reason I love World of Warcraft is the immense amount of group content there is to do once you are leveled, and because of what this has lead to over the years.
Without question, I have made some of the best friends I will ever make through the video game, and if there was only one reason to play the game in my mind, it would be that.

Hope you enjoy yourself, and if you need anything hit me up if you are on US Horde side.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Going to try a PvP rogue (assassin) and PvE hunter (survival). Need advice on race, though. So orcs have a pet damage buff? Seems like a logical choice for the hunter. And the rogue?

Last edited:

Metro

Stratics Veteran
Well its funny you say that, as the racials are being entirely redone for Warlords of Draenor. That is likely still ~4 months away, but if you'd care to look into it I've made an article on Stratics with the changes, and my opinions on them. http://wow.stratics.com/news/6-0-wod-racial-changes-first-look-and-discussion/
In reality, its mostly Min/Max stuff for optimizing your character at max level.
Currently, most people play Troll rogue because they have an ability called "Berserking" which greatly increases their haste for a small window, and haste is the stat that they benefit the most from at high level.
So where Orc has the pet damage racial, there may not be one that is a nice passive choice for a rogue.
Undead Rogues look REALLY good with the skillset across their animations though. Always a favorite.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Just finished reading your story. Seems undead and trolls may both get a nerf--trolls, especially. Too bad. :<

Metro

Stratics Veteran
Ya huge nerfs, but its needed at end game. Especially Troll, it was near mandatory for most of Mists of Pandaria.
But either way, those are still a work in progress as well so can't be sure what changes will actually make it live.

Jordan Thyme

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If I might suggest, do one Horde and one Alliance. That way, you get to experience the quest lines from each perspective. The differences in this case are vast.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
If I might suggest, do one Horde and one Alliance. That way, you get to experience the quest lines from each perspective. The differences in this case are vast.
Not a bad idea. I hear human rogues are popular for PvP.

Metro

Stratics Veteran
A great idea, especially if you are looking to enjoy the questing experience over rush to 90.
Human racials are outstanding for PvP, without question the best in the game. Undead are as well, but are being nerfed come 6.0.
Either way, exploring both sides of the story is something I wish to do as well. I never find time to level an alliance though!