• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So how is it?

S

Seleene

The reviews and stuff look great, but I am leery of shelling out $50 for a game I haven't tried. I did that once with AoC, and stopped playing it after 1 week because it wasn't all that great.

Do they have any trials?

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Great game I`d suggest droppin the 50 bux I don`t think you`ll be disappointed.This comming from someone who also bought AoC AND WoW only to shelve them in less than a week. I figured that 3rd times a charm and it was,hehe.

The public quests and the ability to join in someones group without needing an invite are great.The PQ`s are all fun so far,never know what you`ll get with the rolls and stuff.I`m luvin the scenarios too.15 minutes of RvR trying to capture enemy flags and defend them,hi XP gains and renoun (sp?) or renown points to further aid your template building.The real RvR is crazy as well.

Tradskills I`m not sure about yet,but I am working a couple.I`m just to new at it to offer any intel on it.Only thing I wish is it had DAoC controls with a mouselock key.I don`t mind not being able to sstick an enemy but it sux not being able to back up with the left click.That I miss,I`m adjustin.Plus I still don`t have the ability to zoom in or out because I don`t use a scroll wheel mouse.If you use a trackball or your mouse doesn`t have a scroll wheel,you`ll also be out luck with any zoom options.

Other than that I really have a good time playing it and it doesn`t seem like such a level grind like AoC and WOW and DAoC was.Matter of fact I`m gonna get off these boards and get into my witch hunter.:gun: Hope this gives ya some idea of it.I know I`m leaving alot out but I`m still a n00b myself and still have yet to explore alot of the game and its options.Best I can say is,Very Fun and was definately worth my 50 bux.

Oh yea...I don`t think there are trials.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Seleene,
Do they have any trials?
No demo trials yet. Although having just been released, well reviewed, and popular... IMHO I doubt there will be a trial till next spring (well after the holiday buying season).

I'm a big fan of demo trials. But I bought WAR on the opening weekend, and haven't been disappointed. It's been well worth it for me (now if I could only get more time to play!). ;)

WAAAGH!!!

G

Gohl

I am enjoying it a lot, and I started in the beta.

A little advice: Check a couple of classes. Tanking never was my thing, but the Ironbreaker is a different story.

The different paths of experience (xp, renoun, influence) partially with multiple ways to get them certainly allows for 'your own way' to play the game.

That all of them give you their very own rewards is just a little bit of icing on top.

D

Devdude

I am interested in trying it out too...I wish they did have a trial.It looks pretty good though...I'll probably end up buying it...

B

Birdseye

I've bought it, and stopped playing UO.

Miss UO though. But no-one on Europa shard, so whats a guy supposed to do?

U

UO Crazed

I bought the game with several of my friends. The problem I find is that if you take a day or two off and your friends have been busy leveling, then you're left behind and you're stuck playing alone to try and catch up.

Me personally, I grew tired of the 'grind'. I've played UO for 8 years and I'm thinking of going back due to the community and being able to play with friends with no leveling or any of that stuff.

S

Sunrise

You bring up alot of good points with the lvl versus UO which dont have it.

Im also an old UO Veteran. The difference with this game tho is the quests..the parties and alot more to do.

UO does have lvls tho. For example would you do a champ with a 60 max magery toon? :D

Give this game time and a chance. Word of mouth works also breaking out of the old shells of past Online games helps too. But dang thats a hard shell to break.

I do believe this game is going to be Great!

UO tho does have the community but its dieing fast. So far I love warhammer. Even if the servers are down right now LoL.

I am keeping my UO accounts open tho. But Warhammer is so far Great!

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I agree with sunrise, on alot of they said concerning warhammer. I currently have two charcaters, with each having crafting skill, (talsman,Apothacary). Plus the options of guilds, quests, campains, pvp (without fear of lossing your stuff).
I didn't think that I would be to keen on a game based on levels either, but on the other hand I'm finding its kinda fun doing a differant type of game from UO. Hopefullu UO will get its act togather with the new expansion, but untill then,this game should keep my interests at least through the summer, or untill darkfall is released.
Never really did participate in pvping in UO due to the worry of losing all my uhber gear that I collected over many years because of some bug or cheat. But have to say the dark side of me has emerged playing this game and I'm having a blast atm.

S

Sunrise

Ditto on the pvp....amazing it is...Never really into pvp on UO either..thy time to find a blasted healer UGH..but this game ...very different..... :D

This game is great...Quests..random RvRs....and if you want to join in on the really fun stuff..the PvP places...where you have to click on a button by the map and just wait for a group to form and to have some fun...That is a blast! BIG TIME....I just found out how to do that tonight... :D was freaking great

You dont lose anything but time to get rerezed...then go back in battle...

I have had to much dwarfs bear right now..But I can see myself playing this game a very long time....Its freaking great :D

Btw the dwarfs cannons are the best!!! Boom it goes...

The only downfall I have seen so far.. Trying to remember to hit my num locks key to run..instead of holding down the arrow key... LoL ;D

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well you can create hot key for running, I use my numbers and the F1/12 for my other set of hot keys. I am just used to using the f keys as hot keys rather then the shift method. I used the f keys in uo so I'm sticking with that. The game allows you to use alot of differants options for your hot key selection depending on your style of play.

S

Stelavan

The public quests and the ability to join in someones group without needing an invite are great.
How does this work?

Frankly I'm a solo-oriented MMO player, and that's my biggest concern about WAR, judging from what little I've read - the group activity is more what the game is about. Is there room for us solo types too (not that I totally shun group activities, just solo play is the most fun for me)? I'd hate to think that I'm going along happily and some clown forces his/her way in to my fun, or my group's fun.

Not quite sure I understand that being able to /join a group without an invite is important to anyone, anyway. I mean, not like it's hard to get in to a group in other games - AoC, WoW, AC, EQ, etc etc. If that's at the top of your list of things important about WAR, I have to wonder at the overall quality of the game.

But that's not why I'm here! lol what I want to ask is, should I wait until the big patch in March or just go ahead and jump in? What would you recommend in that regard to someone who hasn't played, yet?

Thanks!

;)

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrm. In some stores you can get the Collector's Edition for the same price as the regular box set. :D

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hrm. In some stores you can get the Collector's Edition for the same price as the regular box set. :D
Yup, I just picked up CE for $50. Also got the Prima game guide and atlas combo pack for $20.

All of it is still sitting in the shrink wrap on my bookshelf. :)