• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So how does "damage all" eater stack with the regular ones?

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Soul charge should go off 100% of the time.
So do the eaters.

Soul charge and eaters relate how much damage is returned, not the chance to go off.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should notice that the effect fires off every time.

The message only shows up every few seconds to prevent players from getting huge amounts of spam.

Same thing for the damage eaters. The effect is 100% of the time, but the message only fires every few seconds.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Parry has no effect on eater properties.
Eaters operate independently so they should trigger off multiple/split damage types.

In the case of Kinetic. It operates of physical damage. So earthquake would trigger the kinetic eater property.

Eaters will regen through mortal or poison.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a few aspects to eater properties that were taken into consideration to make eater properties a bit more friendly. If the current iteration proves to be -too- overpowered, they will be scaled back to a less imbalanced version.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They don't fire off against Direct damage.

Direct damage is done by the specials Armour Ignore, and Lightning strike (when it procs)

Direct damage is also done by the pain strike spell.

There are a few interesting balances slated for damage eater properties.
One of them being the removal of stacking between the All Damage and particular damage types.

This would lower possible cap to 30% on any particular damage type.
Additionally they factor off damage done and heal per instance.
So if you have 30% fire eater and are hit for 20 from explosion and 30 from flame strike. And a mage hits you with that combo.
You will take 50 damage, 3 seconds later you will receive 10 health, then 3 seconds after that 7 health assuming explosion hit first.

Additionally, since the majority of the eater property items are on non-medible items, this means that they are less likely to be used by templates that rely heavily on mana regen. In PvM this is less of an issue since mana leech is based on damage done, but in PvP mana regeneration is not as easy.
This makes armor based eaters less popular for heavy mana use templates. (Chiv dependent, bushido dependent, necro hybrids etc.)
Additionally most of the eater items skimp on some of the more popular PvP item mods intentionally.

Casting focus 12% cap (17% with GM inscribe)
Resonance 40% cap ( 20% currently available off items)

Since they are factored separately you can fail resonance and still succeed at casting focus.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So not even the All Damage Eater works against direct damage?

Wait... those numbers don't seem to add up.
20 * .3 = 6 and
30 * .3 = 9
So why do you have 10 and 7?

... there aren't any PvP templates that aren't dependent on mana. Even a plain fighter needs lots of mana for special moves.

-Post 2:47 am, it was late and I was tired so just divided by 3.( 1/3rd damage was the initial cap for specific eaters when I wrote the design documents but 30% was cleaner to code)

All damage eater basically combines all the elemental damage types. Consider direct damage to be that un-resistible, pure, true damage that is unmodded in any way. Eaters just dont handle that. (They dont like the taste).

The issue with mages and eaters, is kind of tricky. Initially I had a few more mage wear friendly eaters. After testing them I had to either take them out or make them non mage friendly.

Because so many templates rely on mana, if say I made a nice badass eater chest piece that mages would love. Chances are that it would be really good for, bushido, chiv, necro dexer, archer, ninja, tamer and whatever else template out there.
The fact is a mage vs a pure dexer, tends to be a more even fight, than a mage vs one of those "hybrid"-ish templates.

So I made it a buff to both, then it was exponentially better for the hybrid than the mage, instead of being equally better for both.