• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Smooth Boat Movement

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please post any issues/comments with smooth boat movement

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
smooth boat movement is AWESOME. nice work. It would be super awesome however, if something could be done about jerky player movement on moving ships. also i'm noticing boats will stop for a moment if you issue a command for something they are already doing. *shrugs*
Loving the boat movement.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tested on legacy boats, its great!

Confused by removed drop/raise anchor commands :eyes:

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I was confused by this also guess they were really not needed

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IIRC, unless they changed it since the Town Hall, the commands aren't removed, as much as the default being the anchor raised.

The anchor would now only serve one purpose, being a way for a captain to make it harder for someone to give movement commands not wanted (a mutinous crew). Essentially, you would drop anchor, then use the momentary respite to remove someone's command access (or tell them to stop moving the ship).

If they are actually removed, it's no real loss.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IIRC, unless they changed it since the Town Hall, the commands aren't removed, as much as the default being the anchor raised.

The anchor would now only serve one purpose, being a way for a captain to make it harder for someone to give movement commands not wanted (a mutinous crew). Essentially, you would drop anchor, then use the momentary respite to remove someone's command access (or tell them to stop moving the ship).

If they are actually removed, it's no real loss.
I was on several "classic" ships and said drop anchor many times but the anchor was never dropped.

S

Sir Guildies

smooth boat sure but....

sure the boat moves nice and smooth but moving around on the boat while it moves is just as buggy as ever, any chance we can get that fixed if you are fighting on the sea it kind of takes you out of it to be rubber banding all about.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The names of people on other ships don't seem to be appearing while the boat is in motion.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the boats move smooth, however a couple of thing si noticed and i had logrus on the boat with me, the boats seem to move faster when your moving them side to side. if you moving in a directing the boat is pointing in it seems slower, tried this on tokuno and grag boats.
another issue we had, which logrus had to bail me out of, (thnks again!!) was when i got my boat close to the coast of cove and vesper i would get msgs about turbulence, then my boat would dissappear with me stuck in the ocean, so i had to stop piloting the boat and let him fix it, but then another weird thing was it only did this if i was moving sideways towards the shoreline.

Radugast

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crossing server boundary closes out your open containers and back pack still. :(

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two of us on a dragon boat and moving forward left. I double clicked the hold and the message cannot open that while moving came up. The boat dissappeared with both of us stranded in the ocean. E were coming close to a shore. Odd because I could see his speech and he mine, but we couldn't see each other. Sacred Journey off the key then get the message 'The ship could not be located'.

Looking at his screen we were almost on top of each other, but neither client showed the other character.

Using help physically stuck and going to Britain we spawned by the lamp post, but could not move any direction. Much of the screen was black except furniture and NPC's, which left movement tracers because the pixels weren't cleared in their old location. Neither of us could move out of that location.

Used help stuck and went to Vesper. This resolved the graphics problems and we could move.

-Lorax

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the new boats seems not able to cross the edge of the map with EC. I see only my char stucked on water...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
the new boats seems not able to cross the edge of the map with EC. I see only my char stucked on water...
I am in the EC and had no problem crossing.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After sailing around a bit today and from what just happened moments ago, it appears to be the new movement code is extremely buggy. I am using the Classic Client.

Frequently when cross server lines, the screen will go grey, then everything disappears and it turns black. This appears to fix itself when you turn the boat. If you need to cross a server line many times in rapid succession, it is a big issue.

After we defeated the soulbinder champion we tried a second time with the lobster guy. We spawned and lured him to the coast of the island northwest of Skara Brea. After a bit of hitting him as best we could, I remember it said we could use cannons on him. So I try to move a boat into position.

It was a huge mistake. I had to cross a server line. This caused me to crash. I login and crash. I login again and crash. I login and manage to get the boat moving away. Being an idiot, I try once again to move into position to fire cannons. I crash once again. My minimap doesn't even seem to be showing my correct location anymore. After several more logins I manage to get the boat drifting north.

But no matter how many times I login, I hear the sounds of battle as if I am right next to it, and spells casted by players fill up my system message box. Eventually I hit the coast near Shame, but the battle is taking place at the red dot below.

C

canary

After sailing around a bit today and from what just happened moments ago, it appears to be the new movement code is extremely buggy. I am using the Classic Client.
Can we put bets down right now that it will be released with this still an issue and the team will say that they will fix it 'in the near future'?

Z

Zyon Rockler

I don't like the drifting so much and there seems to be a problem with turning left or right without having to jog forward and back to turn the boat.

Rather than the boat drifting at an angle, I would like to see it actually see it facing in the direction it's moving. Although, the drift is nice when slowly manuevering around, it just doesn't seem that good when you're going fast.

Maybe, a compass could be added rather than the left, right directions and so on...

Also, could they add maybe a few more graphics so that it's not turning from one direction to the next but rather adding a few more frames so you can actually see the boat turning rather than the nose of the boat just shifting direction and the rest of the boat flipping along with it.

Also, awake would be an awesome feature if it could be done or at least add those little wavy lines of water, like they have around the dock pillars, so the boat doesn't look like it's floating as much.

Hope it doesn't sound like i'm complaining because really it's awesome!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've noticed if I fish while moving, the whole boat blips.

And I'm loving the new boats and movements too. Few tweaks here and there are definitely needed, but, on the whole, it's fantastic :)

WildStar

UO Baja News Reporter
Reporter
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I just wanted to say that the boat movement is great. I play on Dail-up and it was still smooth for me. I would get regular 1 or 2 second pauses in movement but nothing that would bother me in the long run or interfere with game play.

WildStar

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two of us on a dragon boat and moving forward left. I double clicked the hold and the message cannot open that while moving came up. The boat dissappeared with both of us stranded in the ocean. E were coming close to a shore. Odd because I could see his speech and he mine, but we couldn't see each other. Sacred Journey off the key then get the message 'The ship could not be located'.

Looking at his screen we were almost on top of each other, but neither client showed the other character.

Using help physically stuck and going to Britain we spawned by the lamp post, but could not move any direction. Much of the screen was black except furniture and NPC's, which left movement tracers because the pixels weren't cleared in their old location. Neither of us could move out of that location.

Used help stuck and went to Vesper. This resolved the graphics problems and we could move.

-Lorax
A very similar thing hapenned to me on Tokuno ship: when I tried to cross from south of fire isle to the north of arctic island (south edge of the map to the north edge), the ship disappeared and I got stuck in the middle of the sea. Couldnt recall back to the ship ('The ship could not be located' message). Tried to search it around using a rowboat and the rowboat started to move one tile at a time, like the previous movement system, when I'm near the north edge of the map.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... and I lose my rowboat too while trying to search for the ship. It disappeared when I tried to cross from north side of the map to the south. Again, It left me on the middle of the sea, floating. First one disappered using CC, rowboat disappeared using EC.