• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Smelting Talisman?

G

Any chance of getting a smelter's talisman? All other crafting skills have one but not mining.

G

yes, I have them, but they don't do much when compared to the talisman that add 20+% chance to success.

F

Fayled Dhreams

run the numbers for current conditions (for verification)
.1 mining recovery rate for iron (with/without salvage bag)
upto
105 mining recovery rate for valorite (with/without salvage bag)

once verified
maybe
till verification
no

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Talismans are for crafting. Mining is a resource-gathering skill. The +5 gloves are enough. You already have over 50% of success at smelting Valorite and that's enough.

C

cucujanu

the mining cloves are enough? says who?
i was melting valo a couple of days ago.
out of 1200something ore i got 77 ingotts. i failed 6-7 times in a row.
it pissed the hell out of me.
with the random ore the smelting rate should become 100% for all at 100 mining.

G

gothelder

<blockquote><hr>

Any chance of getting a smelter's talisman? All other crafting skills have one but not mining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least let us hold Jacob's Pickaxe when attempting to smelt high end ores.

This is why I never ever smelt more than 2 mining digs of high end ore at a time.

F1 = Dig Relative, Dig Relative, Smelt.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Especially, that failing at smelting costs 50% (+1 if the number is not dividable by 2) of your ore, while all other fails in material conversion cost only one or 0 of the resource I agree, that there something should be changed. Its still the miner/smith, who is still hurt most with his materials and with what he can produce in comparision to each other crafter.
*Salute*
Olahorand

G

Why can a miner lose ore that they gathered and a lumberjack does not lose boards, or a leather gatherer does not lose leather when they cut them from hides. Seems the change to finding the higher grade ores should have been enough to reduce the volume without still keeping a smelting penalty. Also anyone can cut hides into leather without skill no matter what the type.

If they truely want to limit resource gathering make it so that only a high level tailor can cut spined or horned hides into leather. I doubt people would carry many hides home to cut because of the weight involved. That would solve the leather collecting problem without the need for the super dragons.

So don't say that mining already has gloves. If we can dig up the stuff we should have a decent shot of getting ingots out of it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Why can a miner lose ore that they gathered and a lumberjack does not lose boards, or a leather gatherer does not lose leather when they cut them from hides. Seems the change to finding the higher grade ores should have been enough to reduce the volume without still keeping a smelting penalty. Also anyone can cut hides into leather without skill no matter what the type.

If they truely want to limit resource gathering make it so that only a high level tailor can cut spined or horned hides into leather. I doubt people would carry many hides home to cut because of the weight involved. That would solve the leather collecting problem without the need for the super dragons.

So don't say that mining already has gloves. If we can dig up the stuff we should have a decent shot of getting ingots out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes 200 skill points to create boards, where it only take 100 skill points to smelt ingots. While failing to smelt valorite a few times in a row is frustrating, I like that there is a difference between the two gathering skills. I don't think it should be changed.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes 200 skill points to create boards, where it only take 100 skill points to smelt ingots. While failing to smelt valorite a few times in a row is frustrating, I like that there is a difference between the two gathering skills. I don't think it should be changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, where did you read that you had to have GM carpentry to make boards?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, where did you read that you had to have GM carpentry to make boards?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need GM Carp to make boards from Frostwood, Heartwood, and Bloodwood. Since the discussion stemmed from smelting valorite, I felt it best to make the comparison using the rare woods.

G

Well last time I checked you did not even have to make Boards from logs to use them as a carpenter. A carpenter can make items straight from the logs and you do not lose any boards in the conversion process. Logs are 2 stones while a board is 1 stone. So they can be easily collected without the need for conversion to boards. It does make more sense to do the conversion since you can bring back more resources but it is not required. Therefore carpentry is NOT required to collect the material. I still have a piles of logs in my house of the upper woods that I could not convert while lumberjacking to max out this skill.

For mining one must smelt in the field or you would never be able to bring back any real quantity of material. I think an ore is around 12 stones. Thus smelting is a necessity. But to say that at GM mining loses resources in the conversion than all resources should be the same way. Why can't a log have a knot in the middle of the sweet spot ruining boards from it? Why can't a piece of leather thin unexpectantly or whatever goes wrong with them?

If you are still hung up on the two skills needed then fine tie smithing with mining for smelting. Make it so that the higher smithing on the char the better the chance of successful smelting. I would think most minors have smithing on the same char. There are times when I go out lumberjacking without carpentry on my crafter. There is no real need to make boards in the field of the higher materials. I almost never take smithing/tailoring off of my crafter. One needs them for BOD collection.

G

I was just pointing out a reason why there is no "failure" in making boards. As you pointed out, they are 2 very different gathering skills and I like that gathering different resources requires different processes.

Before fire beetles were introduced, miners spent a lot of time running and/or recalling to the nearest forge in order to smelt. The fire beetle makes mining so much easier than it used to be. I don't see a compelling reason to change the failure rate for smelting, given the changes to mining over the years.

G

And I see no reason for the smelting penalty because it is not as easy as it was to get high end ores. The changes to mining (and lumberjacking) make it difficult enough to get high grade resources.

Different opinions and different objects make UO interesting but overall things should be balanced.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think an ore is around 12 stones. Thus smelting [at the dig site] is a necessity.

[/ QUOTE ]You do know you can double-click different sizes of ore together to make them smaller and lighter? A large becomes two mediums, and a medium two smalls. Thusly, it gets lighter, but not actually 'less'. In a roleplay sense, I've always figured you're going through the larger piles and tossing out the rocks that aren't any good.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I think an ore is around 12 stones. Thus smelting [at the dig site] is a necessity.

[/ QUOTE ]You do know you can double-click different sizes of ore together to make them smaller and lighter? A large becomes two mediums, and a medium two smalls. Thusly, it gets lighter, but not actually 'less'. In a roleplay sense, I've always figured you're going through the larger piles and tossing out the rocks that aren't any good.

[/ QUOTE ]
but when will you get smaller sizes? You cannot combine them also, if your backpack is nearly full.
And well, one mining hit in Felucca brings you 2 ore, which ideally with no fail at full size give 4 ingots.
One lumber hit brings you 22 wood (human, Felucca), which gives 22 boards without fail if you would need them.
So now compare who get the shaft (if we forget the nearly impossible search for Frostwood and other high end woods since that randomness publish).
*Salute*
Olahorand