• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Slasher of Veils is immune to Word of Death.. why?!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why did the devs make Word of Death not work on him???!?!
I finally hit Legendary Spellweaver. Went down to the abyss with him. I figured I'll take a crack at the Slasher of Veils thinking I could use Arcane Empowerment to make my EV's last more than 2 seconds and figured I'll use WoD when his health gets low. To my surprise I get a message that this creature is immune to Word of Death (or something like that).

Are the devs trying to make spellweaving even more useless?? It's not like I can cast this spell over and over! If I have protection, I cast it slow and if I have no protection then I fizzle. THEN I have the mana hurdle. Do you really think this spell is overpowered??

O

Old Man of UO

Are the devs trying to make spellweaving even more useless?? It's not like I can cast this spell over and over! If I have protection, I cast it slow and if I have no protection then I fizzle. THEN I have the mana hurdle. Do you really think this spell is overpowered??
Actually, I think this makes sense that certain monsters are immune to specific attacks. For example, Dark Father (an several others) is immune to poison, and shadow ele is immune to pet damage (and several like the Slasher just have pets for lunch!). Every creature has a weakness, but should have strengths also.

That does not mean that spellweaving is overpowered, weak, useless, whatever... you just need to use another method to kill the Slasher. I really don't see anything depressing about this at all.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At this rate, we'll start seeing creatures immune to Lightning Strike, Death Strike, Flamestrike, etc. You name it!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It just doesn't make sense to completely invalidate a legendary spellweaver. Why should a legendary SW be punished? It takes 117 SW to not fail WoD btw.

Let's think about this for a minute.
The Slasher has 100,000 hit points. By the time you get him to 30% health (30,000 hp) you took a big beating. Even if you got 10 spellweavers with level 6 focus gems and doing max WoD damage of 666, it will take FOUR WoD EACH WEAVER TO KILL IT! (highly unlikely)

Nice way to make the weaver feel useless. Thanks. :talktothehand:

Look, I'm just trying to keep the skill alive. Do we want it to fall to the wayside?

O

Old Man of UO

It just doesn't make sense to completely invalidate a legendary spellweaver. Why should a legendary SW be punished? It takes 117 SW to not fail WoD btw.

Let's think about this for a minute.
The Slasher has 100,000 hit points. By the time you get him to 30% health (30,000 hp) you took a big beating. Even if you got 10 spellweavers with level 6 focus gems and doing max WoD damage of 666, it will take FOUR WoD EACH WEAVER TO KILL IT! (highly unlikely)

Nice way to make the weaver feel useless. Thanks. :talktothehand:

Look, I'm just trying to keep the skill alive. Do we want it to fall to the wayside?
IF you are using a spellweaver for only ONE spell, WOD, then you invalidated yourself. I disagree completely on many levels with what you are saying. The spell weaver has more than one spell, and some very nice ones that don't do damage. If you don't have any other way of doing damage, then what the heck are you doing with the other 600 skill points? I see no reason to expect to do your suggested 666 damage on every creature type. Your argument is very thin and not very well reasoned, and I don't see a problem with having ONE monster (out of hundreds to choose from) immune to one damage type. :talktothehand:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the answer still in the slasher of veil description:

This creature from another dimension is both death and beyond death.

This daemon is from another dimension. It has immense powers and can only be banished once weakened, never killed.
word of death is a spell designed for kill an enemy so it will not work :)

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look, I see your points. Yes WoD is not the only thing a weaver can do.

But I can't help think about how a weaver's time to shine is at the near end.

Question is... Is this creature really the ONLY ONE immune?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The real or the manifistations?
I was using it on manifistations. I didn't see them as immune.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't think that when the creature is near death that it's the spellweaver's time to shine? It's not like you can thunderstorm the thing to death.

Ok, so Harrowers are immune too? Good to know.

W

Wonton fooey

You are already rolling out dmg that is impossible for other templates. a SW doesn't even have to attack most monsters just cast WOD as it dies and you get loots rights. Stop complaining because a few monsters are immune to WOD. SW is a support skill not a fighting skill. Its to supplement the main skills you have.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I don't see why immunity from the spell on a single monster amounts to making the skill useless.

-Galen's player

K

Kiminality

Plenty of creatures are completely immune to poison.
Some are immune to bard abilities.
Some are immune to. or have special counters to pets or summons.
Some are immune to certain damage types.
Some are immune to Word of Death.

Y

Yacct

Yes it would have been much better if the devs stuck to Ultima canon and made him invulnerable to all mortal forms of attack. Maybe have the Slasher slowly release himself of his bonds until he's able to wander the Abyss ravaging everything in his wake and only through a community collection can people force the Slasher to his summoning spot. Better still, if people completely ignore his growing path of destruction he can free himself of the Abyss and wreck havoc on all Britannia!

Immunity to a single spell suddenly seems like the lesser of two evils..

If nothing else it adds a tiny tactical element. I'd be happier if many creatures were immune to certain spells/attacks etc. Oh and maybe add some crazy powerful spells to the more dangerous critters, ie a spell that instantly and without failure, teleports the target to an alternate pocket dimension where they promptly die and because their soul is trapped there the character is permanently deleted! Oh ok, maybe allow some form of escape to make it 'balanced' ;)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why did the devs make Word of Death not work on him???!?!
To make fighting that beast a little challenging? As a legendary spellweaver you still have a huge advantage using Gift of Renewal, Gift of Life and Attunement, don't you?

W

Wonton fooey

To make fighting that beast a little challenging? As a legendary spellweaver you still have a huge advantage using Gift of Renewal, Gift of Life and Attunement, don't you?
Especially if you have a +5 Focus. Apparently he was doing fine soloing it with EVs.