• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Since, the Taming Control Calculator is broke?

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When trying to use the taming control calculator all I get is a blank page. How do I figure the minium amount of tame & lore to control a bake?

Trying to design a very cramped PVM(RP)Template. Just returning to UO after taking a break from UO last November. Made a few rules for myself to make the game more interesting this time around. Going to allow myself two characters an Adventurer, & Crafter.
& no skill Jelwery, & limit him to virtue armor(unless he is changed to mage later).

The Adventurer is going to be a bit of a Hybrid. Vampiric Elven Paladin Tamer that hunts with Bakes. Now thats a mouthful. So skill points will be tight ^^

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That template sounds like it would be fun.

Just my 2cp, I would get lore and taming to 80.7, At that level the Bakes wont be laughing at you saying "You said what?" ... well least wise not often enough to be noticeable.

Also if your not aware of Bonding, If you have a pet for 1 week without it dieing(?) and its loyalty going below happy(?) then you will not lose the pet if it should die.

Mostly if your looking to tune your Template, you may want to go to TC1 and do it there.

You can take advantage of the set commands to get the template the way you percieve it to be optimum.

generalized examples

set animallore 807 (is really 80.7)
set animaltaming 807

etc

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose if you're going vampiric, then the minimum chance of control = 1 dark wolf. You don't even need spirit speak to summon one as far as I know.

The problem would be bonding them, for which you need that 80.7 taming (and lore? - I'd round it to 81) for the entire bonding process.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn`t know you could do that with a Dark Wolf. Just wanted the minium to control 100% with Tame, & Lore.

So far I`m looking at:

Fenceing(Spear) 120
Tactics 90
Necromancy 99
Focus 80
Chivalary 70
Tame 81
Lore 90
Vet 90

Strongly Considering 110 Fence, & 100 Vet. However, fencing is my only form of Protection.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When trying to use the taming control calculator all I get is a blank page. How do I figure the minium amount of tame & lore to control a bake?

Trying to design a very cramped PVM(RP)Template. Just returning to UO after taking a break from UO last November. Made a few rules for myself to make the game more interesting this time around. Going to allow myself two characters an Adventurer, & Crafter.
& no skill Jelwery, & limit him to virtue armor(unless he is changed to mage later).

The Adventurer is going to be a bit of a Hybrid. Vampiric Elven Paladin Tamer that hunts with Bakes. Now thats a mouthful. So skill points will be tight ^^
Heh, funny I was trying to work out a necro tamer idea this week too.

For the kits with real skills you'd be looking at 86/86 taming and lore for 99% control. If you're taking out two, it's harder sometimes to know which refused a command if one should do so. So I'd advise the full 86/86 if you can fit it in.

Kits are tough, so unless you went to some of the highest end spawns, you could get by with a pretty low vet skill. I've never liked using chiv to heal pets, but you could get away with it with the kitsune. I think! All depends on where and what you hunt really. You would likely need med if you wanted to cast heals on top of necro and chiv spells though, which is worth bearing in mind. I'm sure you're more than aware of that too though :)

I'd suggest going to test shard, getting the kits and then playing with the skills around them that way. I always do that with tight templates if I'm going to be training, otherwise you'll put in the effort and end up scrapping it.

Not sure about the ins and outs of the dark wolf thing so I'll let the more experienced vamps advise you there :D

Wenchy

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just happen to be going through the process the other way around. I was playing around on my necromancer over the weekend with dark wolves and bake kitsune. With a dark wolf and two foxes, you have to walk everywhere, but since a necromancer is best off in wraith form, it kind of balances out.

The chance of taming a bake with just necromancy and no taming is close to, but not exactly 100%. In fact, I have more success taming foxes with my necromancer than with my tamer (110 in all three taming skills). So I took these two freshly tamed bakes to various spawns just to see what they could do. Quite frankly, I was impressed! The only trouble was that having untrained and unbonded pets meant I had to occasionally go retame if I met something like say... a greater dragon. But with the two pets in a Baracoon spawn, nothing even got close to be between my babies and my withers until Baracoon himself... even with no wrestling (I was using a scrappers for SDI), I took almost no damage from anything.

My experimenting was enough fun that I've decided to work my template to be able to train and bond my new pets, Flotsam and Jetsam.

Of course, I'm going necro-mage-tamer with no vet, at (changed from my last post) 86 taming, 86 lore, 110 magery, 110 meditation, 105 necromancy, 110 spirit speak, 110 EI. Or maybe I'll up the taming and lore to 92 to be able to control a pack of hellhounds, then take off EI and add in vet for the stable slots. It's still a work in progress.

By the way, while the dark wolf works on foxes, it doesn't work on the hell hounds. Go figure.

My other experiment, from a couple weeks ago, was from a swords wielding vampire tamer, much as you have. But my goal with that one was to use a pack of hell hounds and use myself as a tank. With 110 taming and lore and 100 vet, I was able to pack in 120 swords, 100 tactics, 100 necromancy and enough chivalry to handle all emergency heals, then I could be the vampire form tank who never seems to lose hit points, even against the toughest opponents and my puppies could dish out SERIOUS damage. And if you could get 4/6 fast cast/fast cast recovery, then you'll be a force to be reckoned with in nearly any situation. (but handling a pack in a thick spawn is takes a lot of practice. Kudos to anyone who can actually do that!)

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I have not done this with the Dark Wolf and the other things for a Vampire, I do remember that while I was gathering information so I could minimize my paths, that there was a thread on how the Dark Wolfs etc for a Vampire are subject to the Loss of Stats and Skills. The posters seemed to believe this put them in the class of being a joke.