• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Silver Medal in Proving Grounds needed for Heroic Dungeons - Good or Bad?

Syiler

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
So with Warlords of Draenor creeping closer and closer we are starting to hear bits of information regarding the expansion. One of the announcements was that players will be required to achieve Silver in the Proving Grounds for the role they want to queue for in Heroic Dungeons. Meaning that if you are a tank and want to do a Heroic Dungeon you will need to complete the WoD Proving Grounds as a Tank and then if you decide to reroll healer you will need to go back and complete the healer Proving Grounds!

So do you feel this change is good or bad?

Blizzard wants to make the content in WoD more difficult and it can be frustrating to do hard content with random players as you are unaware of their actual skill level and do not use voice comms. I feel this change will make it so that players will need a basic understanding of their class before being allowed to do the difficult content. If the player is unable to complete the Silver Proving Grounds then they would struggle in a Heroic WoD Dungeon and the actual Proving Grounds tasks don't take that long so it being time consuming isn't really an argument either. But that is my opinions on the matter and I would love to hear yours!

Source

Jordan Thyme

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Personally, I think this is a wonderful idea. Heroic dungeons and the raids that we have now are time consuming just to get the fight mechanics down. If you have someone who doesn't know their spec or role, it makes this twice as hard as it needs to be. Additionally, I wipe enough in LFR with randoms... I'd rather this not carry over to additional places.

Of course when you take into account the new boost to 90, and people who, while they get a small tutorial, don't know the ins and outs of the character they chose as well as say someone who has had to withstand 90 levels. Proving grounds equals the playing field a bit more now that they have introduced this short cut as well.

meoni

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
My thoughts are based purely on my experience in the Looking for raid system, where it's a generic free for all when it comes to the quality of the players there.
I feel that the proving grounds requirement does help establish that at the very least the individual will of had to of gone out of their way to learn the very basics of a class, and this tied with the lvl 90 purchase changes, where players who purchased a level 90 character would have to now, not only play the character long enough for the spells /abilities to unlock for that role, but also test those skills in a lifelike scenario before taking the plunge into lfg/lfr.

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Here is a direct quote from Blizzard about the mentality towards this:
Our goal is not to intentionally keep any class or spec from being able to achieve Silver if the person playing them is playing them well. Endless is intended to be a brutally difficult challenge of skill, Silver is just supposed to show you have a pulse and a general understanding of your class. It's Captcha of dungeon queuing.

Either way, great thing to add. Its important all these new level 90s that have been purchased don't clog up the dungeons the first few weeks.

Xcalebur

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It's a good idea but it depends on how difficult they make silver. If it's the same difficulty as currently its going to be very easy for most players to get them, even the "bad" players.

Either way, it means our favourite guide guy has more videos to make!

Rivz

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think it's a good idea, if it's implemented well...I thinking it won't be and will fall flat.

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Huh? It's not going to fall flat lol, its already in the game and quite well done. However, the biggest issue is that some classes are far more suited to play at this Ilvl than others.
Regardless, Silver is quite simplistic and as I quoted earlier, seemingly just a checkpoint for those people who purchased 90s to pass through to make sure they have some clue as to what they are doing. Especially considering there is an achievement for completing Silver as the wrong spec for the function, this shouldn't be looked at as something difficult or open for failure.