• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Silent Auctions/ Rares Fest

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hello everyone!

I saw what lots of people were saying and discussing in Alex's Auction thread and I was wondering if you all could enlighten me more about silent auctions and Rares fest. So I want to ask the community as a whole some questions and get thoughts and feedback. Since coming back to the game I have been putting more time into the rares community and UO community as a whole but I am still very new to a lot of things and learning on my feet. So here are a few questions I have.

1. What exactly is a silent auction, how long do they typically run etc etc etc.

2. What does a Rares fest consist of exactly, I remember slightly attending one held on Atlantic a long time ago but as I said it was a long time ago.

3. When was the last rares fest/ who hosted?

4. How does one go about hosting one?

5. Would people be interested in having another one?

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
1. It usually takes about a week.
2. It is not just a sales event, but a community event aimed at attracting new customers and interacting with collectors.
3. Shard: Yamato Dates: April 25th - May 2nd, 2021 Hosts: Blend & Captn Norrington
4. To host this please publish your plans here at least 1-3 months in advance. To prevent conflicts with other plans.
I still have some inquiries. But my personal opinion is that if you're going to do what a lot of people want, you'd have to roll back the UO spec by a decade or so I think Atlantic's vendor search is so complete that there is no need for such a festival anymore. ;)

Our last plan was 2022 Asuka. Unfortunately this didn't work.
If anyone wants to take over the plan, I'm happy to help with this

Last edited:

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you Blend, I have been reading many of the old Rares Fest threads and soo much work and dedication was put in by so many people. You're right I think vendor search has phased out a lot of need for such events but I am wondering if there is still need for a community type space for selling. I notice many items get lost and are hard to find because there is no main attraction for sales. Some items that are on safes for weeks and weeks and do not sell, but the same items will come up for sale at an auction and sell for more than it was listed before.

I wonder if it is the fact vendor search feels less personal?

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh man, I’d love to go to another Rares Fest! They just seemed to get better and better each time. Prior to the rares festivals we really didn't all know each other beyond here on Stratics or if we bought something from one another. You'd get to meet all of your collector heroes all in one place. The vendors were out of this world. There were contests for best dressed vendors, best vendor packs, all kinds of player events. Even Mesanna and the shard EM's would pop in and join the fun. Not to mention the auctions, who could forget the Void Rock auction, it was incredible!

I'll agree that times have changed quite a bit since those days. It feels like a million years ago when Aspen (A lot of you guys know him as DVI, but he was always Aspen to me since we were guildmates way back when) first started putting them together. Tomas and I hosted the 5th one on Atlantic and it was quite a bit of work to get it ready. They grew and grew and became more and more ambitious each time. It's no easy task getting them together, but I'd be happy to help if anyone is interested in hosting.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
While maybe a full on rare's fest similar to prior years might no longer be as useful in the age of Vendor Search, I always enjoyed the silent auction houses a good bit. I would think that there could be a one-off silent auction type of offering someone could do within the rares community that would still get alot of attention and bids. One of the keys here would be making sure that it consists of items that would be worth while - some of the older and harder to find items as opposed to any of the current drops that are already flooded all over Vendor Search. I would love to see another one of these happen and would lend an offer of support to whoever took it on.

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thank you Blend, I have been reading many of the old Rares Fest threads and soo much work and dedication was put in by so many people. You're right I think vendor search has phased out a lot of need for such events but I am wondering if there is still need for a community type space for selling. I notice many items get lost and are hard to find because there is no main attraction for sales. Some items that are on safes for weeks and weeks and do not sell, but the same items will come up for sale at an auction and sell for more than it was listed before.

I wonder if it is the fact vendor search feels less personal?
Sadie You should do one in the near future. I and Merlin and Athelas would be happy to help.
I know they are important factors, of course. but I don't think you should focus solely on the items or sells.
When you host a festival, you can bring whatever you think is fun.
The rare festivals I've been to have had visitors from almost every shard. I can't think of many ways to have fun with them because of the time zone and language differences with them, but I've included events that are fun to watch and don't need much explanation. I tried. Vendor costumes, back art, maze houses, and more.
If you run such a festival in the future, design it so that even people who are not interested in rare items can enjoy it.
Don't just focus on rare items:p

Last edited:

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
While maybe a full on rare's fest similar to prior years might no longer be as useful in the age of Vendor Search, I always enjoyed the silent auction houses a good bit. I would think that there could be a one-off silent auction type of offering someone could do within the rares community that would still get alot of attention and bids. One of the keys here would be making sure that it consists of items that would be worth while - some of the older and harder to find items as opposed to any of the current drops that are already flooded all over Vendor Search. I would love to see another one of these happen and would lend an offer of support to whoever took it on.
I don't think silent auctions have adapted to the times either too.
The only advantage is that you can show up looks better in a silent auction house than in a safe box.
If I had a super rare like Void Rock, would a silent auction be the most profitable way to sell now?
As most sellers do these days Any seller can set whatever price they want with Auction Safe.
Even if the pricing is ridiculously overcharged, Sellers set prices on favorable terms it makes sense.
It doesn't have to be an auction, you can keep the item indefinitely until the asking price is reached.
I don't know if it's for that reason,So recently Not many people want to bring the item everyone to the silent auction house at the right price.

All I can come up with is a rule like this
Item Submission Requirements
Items that are not duplicates of the Atlantic Vendor Search and items worth more than 500m

Last edited:

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The last rare fest was really fun, I think everyone who I talked to on Yamato really enjoy the event ^^
Thank you for your feedback
I had fun too hehe:)
Oh man, I’d love to go to another Rares Fest! They just seemed to get better and better each time. Prior to the rares festivals we really didn't all know each other beyond here on Stratics or if we bought something from one another. You'd get to meet all of your collector heroes all in one place. The vendors were out of this world. There were contests for best dressed vendors, best vendor packs, all kinds of player events. Even Mesanna and the shard EM's would pop in and join the fun. Not to mention the auctions, who could forget the Void Rock auction, it was incredible!

I'll agree that times have changed quite a bit since those days. It feels like a million years ago when Aspen (A lot of you guys know him as DVI, but he was always Aspen to me since we were guildmates way back when) first started putting them together. Tomas and I hosted the 5th one on Atlantic and it was quite a bit of work to get it ready. They grew and grew and became more and more ambitious each time. It's no easy task getting them together, but I'd be happy to help if anyone is interested in hosting.
Your time was very good ,I forgot the time and Lot of Time stayed Treasure Trove
I remember the names of some old collectors that were there.
Kimberly Napa, Tomas-Bryce and Assia Penryn

Last edited:

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay to summarize what it seems like people want is more of a Festival surrounding one (or two depending on demand) large Silent Auction House with strictly "high end" items. So maybe something like this

1. One or Two Silent Auction houses with high end rares that have been strictly vetted by staff to meet the set criteria of high end.
  • What will be considered high end? 800m+? item count?
  • How long should it be run? A week? 4 Days?
2. A few smaller houses with vendors for lower end items to encourage people to pick up odds and ends they might be missing otherwise

3. Festivities such as:
  • Backpack Decoration Contest
  • Best Dressed Vendor
  • Raffles
  • Etc
  • Also I need someone to tell me what kind of prizes are common for this sort of thing?

Any other suggestions, or comments on what I listed above?

Also list of sacrifices, I mean volunteers is:
@Merlin
@Alexander of ATL.
@blend
@Athelas
@Peter1117

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay to summarize what it seems like people want is more of a Festival surrounding one (or two depending on demand) large Silent Auction House with strictly "high end" items. So maybe something like this

1. One or Two Silent Auction houses with high end rares that have been strictly vetted by staff to meet the set criteria of high end.
  • What will be considered high end? 800m+? item count?
  • How long should it be run? A week? 4 Days?
2. A few smaller houses with vendors for lower end items to encourage people to pick up odds and ends they might be missing otherwise

3. Festivities such as:
  • Backpack Decoration Contest
  • Best Dressed Vendor
  • Raffles
  • Etc
  • Also I need someone to tell me what kind of prizes are common for this sort of thing?

Any other suggestions, or comments on what I listed above?

Also list of sacrifices, I mean volunteers is:
@Merlin
@Alexander of ATL.
@blend
@Athelas
@Peter1117

I believe I may can offer a glimpse into the past regarding some of your questions. :)
Attached below are some threads I made to archive the Rares Festivals at Toad Town in 2013 and 2014

Toad Town Rares Fest Schedule - June 20, 21, & 22 [2014]
Toad Town Rares Fest Schedule - June 20, 21, & 22

2014 Atlantic Rare's Festival Event Reward Masterlist
[Discussion] - 2014 Atlantic Rare's Festival Event Reward Masterlist

2013 Rares Festival Event Master List
https://community.stratics.com/threads/2013-rares-festival-event-master-list.300505/

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
start something new
I think Sadie will announce something soon:danceb:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
having staffed / run 4 rares fests (or as we called them, "rares jubilees", its alot of work and organization. you want sales, contests, player run events. staff usually donates a few platinum worth of gold / prizes. you need a venue, which can involve mesanna if you need housing placed in a "no housing" area (but youll have to pay for the accounts) Not 100 percent needed, but to get special deco you need to work with Mesanna. Auctioneer must be trusted with 50 - 100 plat worth of items. must have staff on and available for vendor rentals for all time zones. must be responsible for any lost / stolen items (there have been a few big scams in the past at raresfests, and a few accidents with lost items)

in 2023, with commission vendors and auction safes, theres little practical need in terms of selling/buying for rarefests anymore, but i think its a very good thing for the morale and interaction of the rares community. Personally, i would limit auction house items to 500m plus. which excludes the majority of EM items from the last 5 years. i would not allow any item with a reserve higher than one already on an auction safe in a silent auction. its a commitment, but with a dedicated staff is a great time for all.