• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Silent Auction rules question/suggestion

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK, first let me say that I realize the term "rules" here is pretty loose. Every host has the right to set the auction rules however they see fit.

With that in mind I wanted to throw out a question/suggestion for those auctions with the 10 minute rule for bids.

While our guild had several folks biding on items at the rares fest last night I noticed several "new" bidders after the official auction time had ended but before the 10 minutes had expired from the last bid. It would go something like... Person A and Person B were both bidding on the item before the auction time ended. They continued to up the bid once the auction time had ended, but within 10 minutes of each other. When Person A or B finally bowed out, the other person assumes they have won the auction. Low and behold, Person C (who has not placed a single bid on the item) jumps in at the end and raises the bid.

Now I will say this was the first time I have paid much attention to a silent auction, so maybe this is just an accepted practice. However, it seems to me that unless the person has been actively bidding on an item, they should not be able to start bidding after the official auction time has ended.

What say you all?

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am assuming its accepted, but is very frustrating. i lost the only item i really wanted to such a bidder. personally i would prefer that only bidders that had bid before closing time be allowed the 10min rule extension, but thats just my personal preference. my reasoning is that as auction time passes in a large silent auction people who have "been beat" out of an auction item then can go look around for things that have been extended, and have all that left over gold burning a hole in their pocket. Now i know this is good for higher prices, but bad for bidders lol (especially ones with limited gold) Its been standard practice in most stratics auctions and silent auctions with the 10min and is just one of those chaotic things you have to deal with at auctions.
But like you said, its always up to the auctioneer who devotes massive amounts of time and effort to providing an auction in the first place.