• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sigil Timers

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Alright. The word was, the timers would return to normal after the invasions were over. For the uninformed:

The timers were shortened from 10 hours to corrupt and 3 days to purify, to 4 hours to corrupt and 6 hours to purify. A travesty indeed, but done so that the trammelites would stand a higher chance of seeing invasions on their respective shard.

Now, the invasions are over. The timers, however, remain short.

This has turned factions into gate fighting with points. After all, who wants to plan massive raids and defenses, only to have the sigs fall under another faction's control 10 hours later? The only way to keep a hold of the sigs, is to have defenders and thieves on practically 24/7.

This burns players out. Many have already quit factions. Many were expecting the timers to return to normal after the invasions, only to be disappointed. More have quit out of aggravation.

Devs, return the timers before it goes too far. Another month, or more, of these timers will only further hurt factions.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed.

I would not mind however if they dropped purification to 24 or 48 hours. I always look forward to the base fights. And with almost all factions active on Great Lakes, it's been fun.

You can only dodge ganks in Yew for so long.

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with Nonel and Bere... timers need to go back ... I would enjoy a shorter purification as my work schedule often caught me and I missed the guards, etc and had to wait three days to try again... but that is just me, one player, for the good of factions it needs to go back to longer timer.

I mean, even 24 hours would help us that try to control the towns non-stop be able to take a breather ... a couple of us granny thief types are getting down right TIRED! The timer as it is basically punishes the truly dedicated as we are running ourselves ragged to try to maintain control of the towns and burn out is inevitable. Don't lose your good core dedicated to factions for factions players devs! Time to go back to longer timers... PLEASE ...

*gives best granny smile*

Gracie and I will give you cakes, cookies and milk... shhhhhh Gracie, no you may not poison them....

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed,

Devs, Please restore the timers to 10 hours for corruption and 3 days for purification.

If you don't understand why, try playing a week with the current timers where your goal is to keep the towns and its people safe from the invading armies of Minax, Shadowlords and Council of Mages.

The True Britannians on Great Lakes have done a fantastic job of keeping both Felucca towns under control and preventing invasions in Trammal since the events began but now that the Virtue Shield (trammal barrier) has been restored so should the timers.

I thought the old 24 hour guards burned people out of factions but the near 24/7 guarding that we have had to do for the event has been far worse. It was a great short term change that increased faction activity for a burst but the intensity can't be sustained for a lengthy duration.

Lore Denin

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*gives best granny smile*

Gracie and I will give you cakes, cookies and milk... shhhhhh Gracie, no you may not poison them....
*Kicks a Rock* Dang it Tinkz. you never let me have any fun, I even made a cake with my very special ingredients and now you won't let me have any fun.

I swear I have worn out 3 pairs of sandals, running those sigils back and forth the last couple of months!

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We get it, you're old. You don't need to refer yourself as doing a 'granny-like action' 16 times every post.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We get it, you're old. You don't need to refer yourself as doing a 'granny-like action' 16 times every post.
We get your an *******. You don't need to act like one every time you post.

W

wee papa smurf

Put the corruption time at 5 hours and purification to atleast 24 hours!
Just for the simple reason it keeps all factions active, the 3 day purification was crazy, when the sigs werent in play hardly any oj's where on, now theres always oj's on :)

:spider:

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
True, Papa Smurf.

However, when purification lasted 72 hours, everyone seemed to be on at once. There would be 10 or more hours of raids/defenses involving the majority from each group, then 3 days rest. After the 3 days everyone was itching to fight for the sigs again. Made for impressive fights.

Its not the timers that increased faction activity. It wasn't the invasion. At least not on GL. It was faction arties. With faction arties and the new consumables, you will still have all the same Yew gate-style fighting that goes on now between OJs, but during the 3-days off from sig action.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is tricky... people in my guild have jobs, aren't retired and on social security, and don't sit at the computer for 24 hours a day. We can only play for 2-4 hours a night if we are lucky.

10 hour guarding time seems long. I like the 4 hour time to guard, however, other factioners have people that seriously do nothing but play UO. THey can easily take sigs while normal people work and then get the towns for 3 days.

On the other hand, we don't have the man power to guard for 10 hours with full time jobs.

Honestly I think a whole new system needs to come into play, and no I don't have any good ideas.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
10 hour sig timer was the best fighting I ever had when 2 equal guilds went at it in the factions. KDL vs SC was the most un****ing real 3 or 4 months I had ever lived through.. it was easily the most faction pvp I ever had. On several occasions the sigs would be live for 10+ days straight with raids and defenses on both sides every day.. Anything shorter is too easy to ninja a defense in the early morning or late night. I would however be just fine with 48 hour purification instead of 72 hours. The guys/gals who want to pvp will pvp whether the sigs are live or not. The purification has to be long enough to be able to benefit from the faction vendors, but not long enough to die the action down. 3 days wasn't bad but I think 2 would be a bit more exciting.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what are you doing here you dont play uo
I don't? :) teeehee

even if i didn't play uo.. i still know more than most ppl who look at this forum... :) ****.. I know more than the people who are developing this game..

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
KDL vs SC was the most un****ing real 3 or 4 months I had ever lived through..
Mm, fighting with Kdl during that time was probably the most fun I had with factions since AoS. Hell, I didn't even play my thief back then, the PvP was too much fun.

KDL held the best defenses at TB....they did it right. None of that barricade bull****. We had enough people to properly para-field and cross-heal while we put the raiders in actual stat, instead of just trying to wall the enemy out.

Good times. Good times.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mm, fighting with Kdl during that time was probably the most fun I had with factions since AoS. Hell, I didn't even play my thief back then, the PvP was too much fun.

KDL held the best defenses at TB....they did it right. None of that barricade bull****. We had enough people to properly para-field and cross-heal while we put the raiders in actual stat, instead of just trying to wall the enemy out.

Good times. Good times.
Yeah. I don't think I've seen a guild hold TB base better than KDL since AoS came. Sadly I find it's just a matter of organization and leadership, or lack there of that prevents most guilds from doing it right. It only takes one person to set **** up and explain to people what they are to do and they are not to do.

I miss that ****. :(

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Good times. Good times.
But you can't compare KDL and factions to this one current, Nonel. The flood of players in factions, points, timers and corruption periods. Our goal at this time are to get the sigils and hold the towns, and by usingwhat has worked very well and all new ideas are welcome for the defense.

So Nonel, we are out there twice a day running sigils and setting up the defense. We would be more then happy to have you come and run it your way :), I except to you see you on a mage out front. :danceb:

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But you can't compare KDL and factions to this one current, Nonel.
You're right. I wasn't. In fact, quite the contrary ;) The "barricade" has been TB's choice of defense since looong before you defected. During a 4-hour timer it actually works...you can simply hold people back for 4 hours. 10 hours is a little harder, though. It all goes back to what I said in the OP. You have many more people all logging on at once (every 3 days) for the raid/defense, and 10-straight hours to pressure you.

When you, and Anthius, and all them buggers were in SL...what did TB do (besides from lose a lot) ? We put an assload of explosion traps on the bridge, set up bagballs behind them, closed the gate, and attempted to stand there saying, "Nah nah nah nah nah, you cant come in!"

Unfortunately it rarely worked. The few times we managed to get a kill, the traps finished the job (no stat). Once ol' Gracie came in and removed our traps, we were FUBAR.

Now TB defenses have turned a bit. We rely a lot less on a portcullis that, in the end, only serves to hurt us. Thats good. We try to set ourselves up to get the kill more often, while not sacrificing defensive position. This is great. It is, as Cardell pointed out, all about organization. Which we are slowly getting back.

TB is getting better. As long as there is no more "Days of Our Lives" bull****, we'll be fine. ;)

Edit:
Yeah. I don't think I've seen a guild hold TB base better than KDL...
I felt it was our raiding that was best. Was such a harmonious mix of dexxers and mages....good fun.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're right. I wasn't. In fact, quite the contrary ;) The "barricade" has been TB's choice of defense since looong before you defected. During a 4-hour timer it actually works...you can simply hold people back for 4 hours. 10 hours is a little harder, though. It all goes back to what I said in the OP. You have many more people all logging on at once (every 3 days) for the raid/defense, and 10-straight hours to pressure you.

When you, and Anthius, and all them buggers were in SL...what did TB do (besides from lose a lot) ? We put an assload of explosion traps on the bridge, set up bagballs behind them, closed the gate, and attempted to stand there saying, "Nah nah nah nah nah, you cant come in!"

Unfortunately it rarely worked. The few times we managed to get a kill, the traps finished the job (no stat). Once ol' Gracie came in and removed our traps, we were FUBAR.

Now TB defenses have turned a bit. We rely a lot less on a portcullis that, in the end, only serves to hurt us. Thats good. We try to set ourselves up to get the kill more often, while not sacrificing defensive position. This is great. It is, as Cardell pointed out, all about organization. Which we are slowly getting back.

TB is getting better. As long as there is no more "Days of Our Lives" bull****, we'll be fine. ;)

Edit:

I felt it was our raiding that was best. Was such a harmonious mix of dexxers and mages....good fun.
KDLs raiding was good, but it wasn't as good as Me, Torem, Alienspit and Trevor raiding.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah. I don't think I've seen a guild hold TB base better than KDL since AoS came. Sadly I find it's just a matter of organization and leadership, or lack there of that prevents most guilds from doing it right. It only takes one person to set **** up and explain to people what they are to do and they are not to do.

I miss that ****. :(

Sheesh........stop it, Cardell! You're making me nostalgic! Trav ran a pretty tight ship in Vent and everyone knew what they were supposed to do. Folks regularly called their shot in Vent so everyone would go after the same person and take them down. The teamwork was what made it all so darn much fun. A lot of the people had been playing together for years and many of them were former enemies that joined the guild after KDL finished its visit to their shard. There was very little drama between players because it just wasn't encouraged or tolerated. And talking **** to the enemy after you beat them was pretty much frowned on. I'll never forget Trav saying that he tolerated one particular person doing it because that person had earned the right to do it. We didn't have very many folks in the guild who were PvP novices (I was one of them and I think one other person at the time was just getting into it). But even though we had a lot of people who knew how to PvP, we still had occasions when Trav or Darma would line us up and talk and demonstrate tactics, i.e., "you stand here," "you stand there," "you watch her," "you watch him," "you do this most of the time and do that when you're in skill loss," "you keep her alive," "you keep him alive," etc.

And how many tamers did we actually have? I had a tamer/tracker/detector that I used in the sigil room to watch out for thieves there and to find them elsewhere in the base. And someone usually took my place in the sigil room during potty breaks or while I was out looking for a stealther. I only used a tamer for that because I was brand new to PvP and using pets was what I was comfortable with. I think I used my peace tamer maybe two times on a raid and maybe once during a defense. She was and still is in factions just for getting pets and silver, and before the rules changed, for doing pet rezzes because of the "no beneficial acts" rule. Coke brought out his beetle once in a while, as did Talos. Poo wasn't with us for that long before KDL's run on GL ended and at that point in time mostly just used his frenzied ostard pack.

The majority of the fighting by KDL was done by the mages and dexxers. We had oh maybe 3 or 4 stealth archers. We had a good number of thieves and they (especially Silk and Danny) were the ones who really kept us chugging along, lining us up so we could do the 10 hour defenses when most everyone was going to be available. Silk was also the guy who made sure our critical supplies at the guild house were always in stock so no one wasted time restocking if we lost the sigils and a raid was being planned.

Yep, fun times and something I am very happy I had a chance to experience. Sorry for the long-winded post, but I think we could have all that again if the developers would just re-think some of the changes they made in the last year or so and toned down the darn dragons. No one used to complain about them like they have since the GDs came out....no one. Bring back the longer corruption and purification times; fix the bases so raids and defenses are challenging but no one has an outrageous advantage over everyone else; figure out some other reason for people to join factions besides handing them artis they will use mostly in Trammel; get rid of the screwed up point system or put it back to what it was; and for goodness' sake, put a muzzle on those GDs!!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KDLs raiding was good, but it wasn't as good as Me, Torem, Alienspit and Trevor raiding.
You'll never know how hard we were all laughing the day two opposing factions teamed up and locked us out of the TB base.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sheesh........stop it, Cardell! You're making me nostalgic! Trav ran a pretty tight ship in Vent and everyone knew what they were supposed to do. Folks regularly called their shot in Vent so everyone would go after the same person and take them down. The teamwork was what made it all so darn much fun. A lot of the people had been playing together for years and many of them were former enemies that joined the guild after KDL finished its visit to their shard. There was very little drama between players because it just wasn't encouraged or tolerated. And talking **** to the enemy after you beat them was pretty much frowned on. I'll never forget Trav saying that he tolerated one particular person doing it because that person had earned the right to do it. We didn't have very many folks in the guild who were PvP novices (I was one of them and I think one other person at the time was just getting into it). But even though we had a lot of people who knew how to PvP, we still had occasions when Trav or Darma would line us up and talk and demonstrate tactics, i.e., "you stand here," "you stand there," "you watch her," "you watch him," "you do this most of the time and do that when you're in skill loss," "you keep her alive," "you keep him alive," etc.

And how many tamers did we actually have? I had a tamer/tracker/detector that I used in the sigil room to watch out for thieves there and to find them elsewhere in the base. And someone usually took my place in the sigil room during potty breaks or while I was out looking for a stealther. I only used a tamer for that because I was brand new to PvP and using pets was what I was comfortable with. I think I used my peace tamer maybe two times on a raid and maybe once during a defense. She was and still is in factions just for getting pets and silver, and before the rules changed, for doing pet rezzes because of the "no beneficial acts" rule. Coke brought out his beetle once in a while, as did Talos. Poo wasn't with us for that long before KDL's run on GL ended and at that point in time mostly just used his frenzied ostard pack.

The majority of the fighting by KDL was done by the mages and dexxers. We had oh maybe 3 or 4 stealth archers. We had a good number of thieves and they (especially Silk and Danny) were the ones who really kept us chugging along, lining us up so we could do the 10 hour defenses when most everyone was going to be available. Silk was also the guy who made sure our critical supplies at the guild house were always in stock so no one wasted time restocking if we lost the sigils and a raid was being planned.

Yep, fun times and something I am very happy I had a chance to experience. Sorry for the long-winded post, but I think we could have all that again if the developers would just re-think some of the changes they made in the last year or so and toned down the darn dragons. No one used to complain about them like they have since the GDs came out....no one. Bring back the longer corruption and purification times; fix the bases so raids and defenses are challenging but no one has an outrageous advantage over everyone else; figure out some other reason for people to join factions besides handing them artis they will use mostly in Trammel; get rid of the screwed up point system or put it back to what it was; and for goodness' sake, put a muzzle on those GDs!!
I think you read that wrong. I was saying KDL was good. :)

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I am so ready for the return of 10 hour guards, because now basically you have too start a defense 3 times within a 24 hour period, oh for a 3 day break now that would be wonderful.

But regardless, TB has held the sigils longer during this change in factions and we are fortunate to have very dedicated group of players that log in everyday to help defend. Tina, we have Talos in G^F, what a wonderful guildmate he is! He is part of the Grandparent Brigade of TB , along with Sir Dan, Stefano, Tinkz and myself :danceb::danceb:

Anthius: A lil birdy told me that they saw you in Brit, if that is true welcome back!

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*looks for her bullet proof vest*

WELCOME BACK! Dang I am gonna die a lot now.... *sigh* ... oh well, I don't mind dying to players who play factions for factions :)