• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*Sighs* Death by disconnect...(A request to the Devs)

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Comcast decided to work on the cable lines the other day w/out warning and I lost connect while fighting OL's. We all know what happens to a helpless character when its around OL's....anyway I was off-lined 2 hours while Comcast was playing around with the cable.

I had the pleasure to log back on dead(no suprise there) and find my cursed arties gone. I know they are just pixels but it took a while to have enough gold to buy them. I am sure a few will say "risk vs. reward" but to that I say I died because of disconnect to something that otherwise doesn't even get one good swing at me because I play a pure caster.

To the Devs: Is there anyway you guys would consider adding code that would detect an untimely disconnect (not just a log out by the user) and pull my arse out of the fire,and send me to the nearest bank or inn? You have something like that for tamers and pets. So how 'bout it?

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
no folks woudl get in a pickle of a jam and then unplug their network cable resulting in the abuse of that

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

no folks woudl get in a pickle of a jam and then unplug their network cable resulting in the abuse of that

[/ QUOTE ]I can understand that,but think about it. If you stop playing to disconnect the cable you have to unscrew it you'll be dead anyway before you disconnect it.

G

Yeah its the same with any game. Id say give them the benefit of the doubt but too many would abuse that

There *is* some things that could be done though. EG have a one per day disconnection detection perhaps, which insta logs the char. Or get put into an area that you cant get out from for 10 minutes or so - like jail or something. That way it isnt a quick and easy get out. Or perhaps faction-style statloss. The idea being you wont lose items or fame or anything from dying, at the expense of some time (which, if a few hours go by in an outage, wont be of any consequence).

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Comcast decided to work on the cable lines the other day w/out warning and I lost connect while fighting OL's. We all know what happens to a helpless character when its around OL's....anyway I was off-lined 2 hours while Comcast was playing around with the cable.

I had the pleasure to log back on dead(no suprise there) and find my cursed arties gone. I know they are just pixels but it took a while to have enough gold to buy them. I am sure a few will say "risk vs. reward" but to that I say I died because of disconnect to something that otherwise doesn't even get one good swing at me because I play a pure caster.

To the Devs: Is there anyway you guys would consider adding code that would detect an untimely disconnect (not just a log out by the user) and pull my arse out of the fire,and send me to the nearest bank or inn? You have something like that for tamers and pets. So how 'bout it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pff, insurance already made losses next to nothing.

Adding this would make the risk factor even smaller. Why not make chars immortal in Trammel?

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Pff, insurance already made losses next to nothing.

Adding this would make the risk factor even smaller. Why not make chars immortal in Trammel?

[/ QUOTE ] Risk I have no problem with. Losing items I bought that are cursed because of an event I had absolutely no control over isn't me asking to be immortal. Being disconneted by my ISP isn't a in-game feature...is it?

A

Asmodai/Embryo

i know it sucks, but it's just one of those things... im sure when uo started on ****ty 56k connections people died to that stuff all the time. it's an inherent part of uo and theres nothing you can do about it... shame about the arties but they're pretty cheap.. got any friends who can lend u some cash?

T

Tazar

Not quite true there... my modem has a button on the front that is an instant disconnect...

C

Connor_Graham

If you're on Pacific send me a PM with what you lost and I'll see if I've got any of them.

U

_Uriah Heep_

I lost an AoF, Boomstick, hat of the Magi, Ring of the Elements...oh wait, you weren't talking to me

Hey, if it ever works once, it's worth it!!!

G

Sorry I have to vote no.
Insurance is bad enough as it is. Making it so as long as I unplug my ethernet cable I never lose anything is just... well no.
I'm sure you'll get some backing from the Uhallers though. A lot of folks feel like you should never lose anything in this game.

U

_Uriah Heep_

I vote no...Heck, I'm one of the few Trammies who would like to see Insurance and PoF go away too, so my crafter would have more use.

*shrugs*

G

I also vote NO. I cand pull my air card out quicker then I could recall. All this would do is get abused.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I can understand that,but think about it. If you stop playing to disconnect the cable you have to unscrew it you'll be dead anyway before you disconnect it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I could probably disconnect in 1-2 seconds. It just pulls out ... no unscrewing necessary. Its a nice idea by the OP but open to abuse. And believe me .... it would be abused.

I

imported_Tabby Kapak

Well... it is harsh to make it sound as if the original poster wants not to face any risks while playing... Yes, his idea is open to abuse, but with Trevy's idea of a sort of teleport to jail and not getting out for 2 hours, that could limit abuse somewhat. Many players only play with a few chars, they feel the 2, 3, heck, make it 5 hours of not being able to play actively on their main.
And the innocent good willing victim of cable company whims will be saved a lot of work earning back cursed arties that way... Feel your pain Hunter's.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Losing items I bought that are cursed because of an event I had absolutely no control over isn't me asking to be immortal.

[/ QUOTE ]
um ... but they were cursed when you bought them. It's an avoidable risk.

But I think the cursed items are good experiment in how the community reacts to uninsurable things. The verdict, in my eyes, is these exact issues are the reason why insurance is required - there are simply too many things (in game or out of game) that can disconnect a person and this side of Siege rare items are an integral part of character development.

G

Would you feel the same way if the items were less rare and more easily crafted or gotten through game play?
What would they have to put in for your opinion to change about insurance?
What if cursed arties fell as loot regularly? Getting another cursed orny as easy as going out and killing OLs for a few minutes. Would that change your opinion at all?

G

<blockquote><hr>

There *is* some things that could be done though. EG have a one per day disconnection detection perhaps, which insta logs the char.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even once per day is too much. People already abuse the 2 stuck options per day in all kinds of situations. Such a thing would be perfect for Felucca IDOCs. Get a box of really great loot but a PK just targetted you? Yank the modem cable and be completely safe in an instant! The same thing could be done at champion spawns with power scrolls.

This situation could have been easily remedied by hunting with someone else and having them loot your stuff if you die.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My vote is "no" as well. Others have already mentioned my reasons, so I won't repeat them.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I could probably disconnect in 1-2 seconds. It just pulls out ... no unscrewing necessary. Its a nice idea by the OP but open to abuse. And believe me .... it would be abused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark the calendar...we agree on this one 100%.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*ttlfc*

For those that are tying what I am requesting to Insurance seem to not get what I am saying. I have no problem losing cursed artifacts if I lose them in a fair fight with any beast. If I die to an OL then fine,I should get looted and lose the item,but when I die only because I get bumped off of the net by my ISP....well,how is that fair and balanced?

G

I agree ... but its the lesser of two evils compared to the abuse that disconnect protection would bring.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the timer on staying in UO when logging out outside of an inn? Is it 5-6 minutes? Maybe that could be shortened?

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Sorry I have to vote no.
Insurance is bad enough as it is. Making it so as long as I unplug my ethernet cable I never lose anything is just... well no.
I'm sure you'll get some backing from the Uhallers though.A lot of folks feel like you should never lose anything in this game.

[/ QUOTE ] Like bonded pets right?

Bonded Pets= A walking Blessed Artifact.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry I have to vote no.
I'm sure you'll get some backing from the Uhallers though.A lot of folks feel like you should never lose anything in this game.

[/ QUOTE ] Like bonded pets right?

Bonded Pets= A walking Blessed Artifact.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm all for removing pet bonding.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They might be able to make that work if they make it where in PvP combat, you don't blink out.

U

_Uriah Heep_

No one would care, I bet, if the items were more easily obtained (read: cheaper and accessible).

I know everyone is sick of hearing about "used to be so", but, when ya got killed, pk'd, whatever, you just hit the forge in Brit and got re-outfitted...because a Smith was useful and could make the items you needed!

But now, if ya lose something, its either spend millions to replace it, or hours on hours in lesser equipment trying to kill enough stuff and stroke the RNG just right to get another.

And it should be a chance, I think, for ANY of em to drop, anywhere from anything, just like the Virtue pieces. More common does not mean less useful, for cryin out loud. It just means the shopkeepers have to sell em at reasonable rates, and not make more off one piece than my house cost!