• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Siege requests for Time of Legends Expansion

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I would like something to help our crafters and gartheres.

1. First, while VvV seem to work great for the PvP players, it's still a pain for newbies, crafters and other peaceful players, who love Towns, doing trading quests, BoDs or other quests /trading.
They need a way, to get info about VvV status for the towns they need a way to know, if they are orange. Also on Siege, lower that orange timer 15 min if no PvP action made. Maybe just ask "VvV town?" and add VvV flaging to the "I must consider my sins" command.

2. We need more stocked vendors, lower the vendor fee to 1 % a week, also for Community/Stall vendors. Vendor Search need to include the community and stall vendors.
I would love to see stall vendors in other towns, some towns do have a markeds place, please bring back life to old towns. Just a few in each town would do and maybe in large player towns.

3. 2x ressource/fame on all Siege facets, the drop they have at Fel on normal shards. As we lose more items, we need more resources, special small gems would be nice.

4. Lets get rid of that pain it is to get the resist right on crafted and looted stuff. If you lose one item, the whole suit is ruined, you can't just buy a new hat.
If we add 10% more resist to basic resist, it will help crafters and farmers stocking vendors with 5x70 resist suits. Yes suits may be a little more powerful, when room for an extra imbuing mod, but don't think that will be a big problem.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I think it would be good if you could adjust resists with imbuing where if you keep within the basic total for that item when you do it you do not incur one of the "passes" on the changed item, it is odd that you use one of the 5 imbue passes if you reduce a resist, this might make life too easy though I suppose.

Unblessing rune books I maintain is ridiculous, they are not an item that gives any form of PvP advantage, it would just be annoying and there is simply no good reason.

Its nice that the devs don't do the treadmill thing with expansions like other MMO games do, like raising skill caps and gear levels constantly with each one, thus invalidating all the work you did or items you got before the expansion hit, I hate how games like WoW do that.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, hell. Most of what I see here, except for the few people who actually have some original ideas, is the watering down of Siege. Just add insurance and be done with it.

Here's a novel thought! Give us our pre-AoS Siege Perilous shard back and people will play again. It was active then and would be active again once word got out. People left because Siege was broken beyond repair and no one cared to fix the problems.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Kat, could you be more specific about the ideas you support moving forward? One that I would definitely like to add is for the devs to NOT include siege in the shared character bank box. Would be really bad to have prodo money available here (and I say that with a few hundred k in my siege box but millions on prodo shards).

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But I digress, back to the point of the thread, maybe you would say, for siege, from the new expansion, you would like to see more opportunities for the thief skills to be used?
Stealing is not a PVE skill. Sure you can go in to dungeons and steal from chests and such. Thieves become thieves so they can "steal" from other players. There is no challenge in stealing from an inanimate chest. Where there is no challenge, there is no fun. Stealing is nearly the only skill left that is still 100% interactive with other players.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, hell. Most of what I see here, except for the few people who actually have some original ideas, is the watering down of Siege. Just add insurance and be done with it.

Here's a novel thought! Give us our pre-AoS Siege Perilous shard back and people will play again. It was active then and would be active again once word got out. People left because Siege was broken beyond repair and no one cared to fix the problems.
Holy crap on a cracker! Give this girl a bag of skittles and an orange Crush! Don't worry Kat, I'll be here to res/heal ya when you're slammed with a barrage of stones and rotten fruit. ^^

Reactions: Kat

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kat, could you be more specific about the ideas you support moving forward? One that I would definitely like to add is for the devs to NOT include siege in the shared character bank box. Would be really bad to have prodo money available here (and I say that with a few hundred k in my siege box but millions on prodo shards).
She means, eliminate all of the changes that have occurred since Siege stopped being "Siege". You are relatively new, I understand that. But the current Siege you are playing on; that is merely a tiny shadow of what Siege used to be. Back when it was fun.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I understand her meaning. My point is that specific items are things that can be discussed / weighed / agreed on by anyone reading so that a specific set of requests can be forwarded to devs with SOME kind of shard approval. As you point out, I (and many others) might not be aware of what her General statement fully entails. I'm just asking for specific points. As someone responsible for a lot of software development in RL, I know that requesting discreet, specific changes to a project have a significantly higher chance of success than a blanket statement. I'm not disagreeing with either of you, just asking for maybe a little more info. Heck, at this point I don't even have the knowledge TO disagree :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know I haven't been back for that long, but I am curious about the Broadsword gang. Since they took over, have they done anything specific for Siege? It's hard to tell from going through the archives. The only thing of note was the recent re-addition of the Buccs Den portal.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but if they are like the other UO developers over the years, Siege really won't get any special perks for being a stand alone server. What we will get are items that don't belong on our ruleset that leak over from the production server changes. If any changes are made, it's to correct some of those issues.

From what I've seen in the past, the devs are usually too busy to worry about Siege problems because, well, we are a very small population on a non-standard shard. I love the idea of the thread, I don't know how much good (if any) it will do, other than providing some of us another thread to chat in. :) ...la

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Rico, I understand your reservations. I guess what I hope is that after everyone has had their say, I can go through, compile a list of things that seen to have generally positive support and seem fairly easy to implement (or at last possible), and spam it out to whatever broadsword email I can as well as posting it in the dev forum. I would link back to this thread to show that I want making the whole thing up.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
They sure have.
New accounts can join Siege without the trouble with going to normal shards and cancel their young status.
Second house on Siege
Advance and Mythic char token works on Siege
The Governor system working in Felucca towns on Siege
I'm sure there is more, not that I expect you to like it :p

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Maybe we should also petition the Dev Team to not include too much new landmass with the new expasion...this is probably an issue that even plays a role on prodo shards. The population is spread so thinly already that we really don't need more landmass. Rather than introducing new landmass they could add things like they did with the peerless system. Use the old lands and alter them a little to respark interest in them.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Maybe we should also petition the Dev Team to not include too much new landmass with the new expasion...this is probably an issue that even plays a role on prodo shards. The population is spread so thinly already that we really don't need more landmass. Rather than introducing new landmass they could add things like they did with the peerless system. Use the old lands and alter them a little to respark interest in them.
Malas do have lots of room for new small spawn, it is the most boring land we have, and drop a few red healers there too. If Trammel shards do not like aggressive spawn near houses, make the spawn, so it first aggro on you, when you attack one of the mobs, then maybe all 4-5 mobs will try to kill you.

If they make some spawn for newbies and some for more skilled players and maybe some for parties, it could be fun.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Malas do have lots of room for new small spawn, it is the most boring land we have, and drop a few red healers there too. If Trammel shards do not like aggressive spawn near houses, make the spawn, so it first aggro on you, when you attack one of the mobs, then maybe all 4-5 mobs will try to kill you.

If they make some spawn for newbies and some for more skilled players and maybe some for parties, it could be fun.
The endless symphony of monsters howling outside the house while I craft, my pack animals charging away to some stray corner of the house far from where I'm working because some monster outside targeted it, ah yes, the muttering and cussing as I lose all my open containers I've set up to craft from as I go get the mangy packer and lead it back to where I'm working until the next monster targets it, <colorful muttering and censored language that would awe a Royal Guard Drill Sargent> the unfond memories of why I moved to Malas on Chessie from the spawn filled crossroads west of Britain... <bleep bleep *censored*>

My two gold pieces... :rant2: :gun::yell::fight::twak: :cursing::thumbdown::shots::flame::eek2:

<G>

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Think you did not read all of my post :pie:I said: Make the spawn, so it first aggro on you, when you attack one of the mobs, then maybe all 4-5 mobs will try to kill you.
Just don't attack them and they won't try to attack you or your beetle.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So. To recap thus far:

1. Charging runebooks with gate scrolls ++++
2. Removing gate warnings ++++
3. Introducing siege specific loot / rewards +++
4. Lowering vendor rental fees +++
5. Allowing one way transfer (permanent) of a character (no items) to siege if no character exists ++

Are those (for now) the items and priorities that as a group we can get a GENERAL agreement on, with some of the other ideas thrown into a second group as interesting / outlier ideas?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wholeheartedly disagree with allowing character transfers, even if it's without items.

I get it, players think this will attract players...it may in the short term, but it really puts those new players at a disadvantage. Part of Siege is the ability to learn the shard intricacies while you are training a character up. It's bad enough that you can buy 5 skills up to 90 (disclaimer: I've recently done this)...this should not be an option on Siege...la

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think you did not read all of my post :pie:...
oops... :oops: One of those notorious buttons of mine. You did say aggro on us first, that you did.

Having my packers run away from where I was crafting in my house over the years has grown into the grandmother of all godzillas as far as game irritations go.

I've stopped making the 3 million kegs of explosion potions to put under your castle...:smile2:

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like the option to bring in most of my items from Chessie onto Siege, as if I'd always played here and collected them here. I'm rarely logging in to Chessie much anymore so the stuff is doing no one any good there.

We do need more deco and other items here and this option for players would do that. One way only would be fine for me.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd like the option to bring in most of my items from Chessie onto Siege, as if I'd always played here and collected them here. I'm rarely logging in to Chessie much anymore so the that.
This is going to be so hard to get support for though. Even only one way items are a HUGE deal because of the (sadly) very real issue of item dupes, the disparity of item values, and differences of availability from prod to Siege. I'm ambivalent about character transfer, but item transfer I would be against. Just my two cents.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like the option to bring in most of my items from Chessie onto Siege, as if I'd always played here and collected them here. I'm rarely logging in to Chessie much anymore so the stuff is doing no one any good there.

We do need more deco and other items here and this option for players would do that. One way only would be fine for me.
I understand wanting your items. But that is one slippery slope I never want to see approached on Siege. We've been lucky (to-date) with duping, the Siege economy while still too high imo is in check because we don't have as much cash sitting around as the on the production shards. I almost think if player and item transfers were allowed, I'd be done with Siege (again)...la

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is going to be so hard to get support for though. Even only one way items are a HUGE deal because of the (sadly) very real issue of item dupes, the disparity of item values, and differences of availability from prod to Siege. I'm ambivalent about character transfer, but item transfer I would be against. Just my two cents.
Dups are a problem, but if the game system itself removes said items from Chessie and restores them on Siege, nothing involved in the transfer is being duped, all the items involved will exist only one place, here.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I understand wanting your items. But that is one slippery slope I never want to see approached on Siege. We've been lucky (to-date) with duping, the Siege economy while still too high imo is in check because we don't have as much cash sitting around as the on the production shards. I almost think if player and item transfers were allowed, I'd be done with Siege (again)...la
I'm not talking gold, the millions can stay on Chessie. And again, no duping of items being done. Items that had been on Chessie no longer exist due to the game system erasing them, the items will only exist on Siege. No dups result from this.

People love the housing available playing UO. Think more players might set up here if they could have plenty of good deco items available to make their houses look good instead of fairly plain? Might be why there are so many empty foundations around.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Dups are a problem, but if the game system itself removes said items from Chessie and restores them on Siege, nothing involved in the transfer is being duped, all the items involved will exist only one place, here.
That is the nature of the problem. Historically ways have been found to prevent the original item from being removed. It is so bad on Atlantic that any item above 5-10 million I've traded has required me to place a vendor because otherwise the other player feared a dupe they could not resell at some point.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I've stopped making the 3 million kegs of explosion potions to put under your castle...:smile2:
Auch, I'm thankful, it would had been a mess, all my stuff from all my chests laying between lots of rubble, impossible to sort again.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They sure have.
New accounts can join Siege without the trouble with going to normal shards and cancel their young status.
Second house on Siege
Advance and Mythic char token works on Siege
The Governor system working in Felucca towns on Siege
I'm sure there is more, not that I expect you to like it
With exception of the gov system.. Everything you listed has been a 100% contradiction to what Siege was originally developed.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
GUYS STOP EVERYTHING! I JUST CHECKED OUT SEASON FOUR OF GAME OF THRONES. WE CAN PICK THIS UP SOME TIME TOMORROW WHEN I REENTER THE WORLD!!!!

:)

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't have a character transfer from a production shard to Siege. I have emails back and forth from Cal (old head honcho guy) before. He was all for it and was going to have an account transfered but once it went to the dev's he found out it was impossible. The are essentially two different games and impossible to transfer without reworking all the coding.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can't have a character transfer from a production shard to Siege. I have emails back and forth from Cal (old head honcho guy) before. He was all for it and was going to have an account transfered but once it went to the dev's he found out it was impossible. The are essentially two different games and impossible to transfer without reworking all the coding.
This include items as well? We do need more deco items on Siege. All most have available now if they want to move to Siege are craftable items, they can't bring in any vet rewards, Origin Store purchases or other items they have collected over the years on a prodo shard. Only the Siege Vets have the years of nice deco items they have collected over the years to decorate their houses with here.

Vets here sound as if the Risk of letting people bring items to Siege vs the Reward of having the more Siege Players they want is to much to scary a risk because they might be duped items.

The Vets need to understand, people like making their houses look good, and if people are not allowed to make their house on Siege look good with nice non-crafted deco items, why would they want to stay?

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Allowing char transfers from prodo to Siege would be the final straw in the destruction of the idea of Siege, you then effectively link Siege to Trammel, people can then farm good items at no risk in Trammel then transfer them to Siege, this is one of the things which makes Fel a bit of a joke on prodo shards, the fact its full of people covered in many mils worth of artefact gear they farmed in safety in Tram trash talking to each other about how they are the king of PvP.

Being able to farm good stuff with ease and safety in Tram is why all the attempts to repopulate Fel on prodo have been a waste of time, if you allow char transfers to Siege from Prodo you risk making it the same, you going to enjoy being PKed on Siege by a twink covered in artifacts that he "earned" by script farming in safety on prodo?

Even if you allow transfer with no gear it still allows people to bypass the Siege learning process, ok its not like it used to be, you don't get PKed many many times while skilling up like you used to back in 2003, but I think its important that you "earn" the things you have on Siege by getting them on Siege.

As mentioned before, its bad enough that they allow advanced char tokens here...

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
couldn't say it any better Whitewitch!
and Tanivar: I get your wish to deco your house and all with non-craftable deco stuff. Well honestly yo ucan do that even as a newcomer. All the deco stuff you had to purchas on prodo from the origin shop you can purchase on Siege as well. Heck you can even get your money back for the prodo stuff by selling it for ingame gold and trading the gold for Siege gold (cybernickel offers that service at a certain ratio, I'm sure there are others as well). All of this can be done without introducing new char or item transfers to Siege which would really hurt our economy and balanced playing field!

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So. To recap thus far:

5. Allowing one way transfer (permanent) of a character (no items) to siege if no character exists ++

Are those (for now) the items and priorities that as a group we can get a GENERAL agreement on, with some of the other ideas thrown into a second group as interesting / outlier ideas?

I agree with No. 1

No.2, 3 and 4 are ok but I can do without them.

No. 5 is a gigantic no-go for me!!!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Good feedback on #5 everyone, is why I posted list. I misunderstood the consensus on that one (I'm ambivalent for chars, but against items strongly). Striking that one from list.

5. I forgot to put this but seems obvious, just in case though, devs not include Siege in the new shared gold across chars / shards scheme. Everyone agree. That seems like an obvious problem for siege.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like the discussion transfer over to talking about blessed items. I'm a thief so you all know I want everything unblessed, but is the community happy with all of the items that are now currently blessed...if not, throw those items into the discussion and let's see if we can come up with a consencious...la

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No point beating my head against a wall. You don't want more players, just empty house foundations? Fine. The will of the Siege Vets be done. After all, as they make clear, it's THEIR shard, not our or anyone elses shard.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No point beating my head against a wall. You don't want more players, just empty house foundations? Fine.
Really, you are going to pout?

I'm sorry you don't agree with our opinions, but most of us have witnessed many of the changes to Siege dating back before Publish 16 (the fun it took for 16 to be added to Siege was crazy). Having deco items from production shards is not going to attract players to Siege...while just my opinion, I don't know why anyone would make the switch for that reason alone...la

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The problem is most players are satisfied with their safe Trammel and occasional champ/res gather Felucca (when they assemble in large groups to defend themselves) lives on other shards, where there is already a lot of players to happily interact with.
How do you even attract them?

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This include items as well? We do need more deco items on Siege. All most have available now if they want to move to Siege are craftable items, they can't bring in any vet rewards, Origin Store purchases or other items they have collected over the years on a prodo shard. Only the Siege Vets have the years of nice deco items they have collected over the years to decorate their houses with here.

Vets here sound as if the Risk of letting people bring items to Siege vs the Reward of having the more Siege Players they want is to much to scary a risk because they might be duped items.

The Vets need to understand, people like making their houses look good, and if people are not allowed to make their house on Siege look good with nice non-crafted deco items, why would they want to stay?
I was for it. Mystic was the ones that said it just wasn't possible. I think Cal was looking at even to manually try it old school way from a GM and was shot down by the dev's. It just not possible without a major reworking of the code.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having deco items from production shards is not going to attract players to Siege...while just my opinion, I don't know why anyone would make the switch for that reason alone...la
That reason alone? Not likely, but the way people love their houses, it's a mark in the reason to not play on Siege column rather than a mark in the play on Siege column. A discouragement instead of an encouragement.

The problem is most players are satisfied with their safe Trammel and occasional champ/res gather Felucca (when they assemble in large groups to defend themselves) lives on other shards, where there is already a lot of players to happily interact with.
How do you even attract them?
Seems to be a lot more houses and foundations than when I left UO a couple years back. Shows some people came by and checked Siege out. That area west of Zento had a lot of room for houses back then, but no longer.

You attract people somewhere by it's positive points, not by it's negative points. What do people like, what makes them enthused about going somewhere? What makes them drop certain travel brochures in the trash can or leave somewhere they went early because it was a letdown?

Many don't travel Fel because of bad experiences back during the first few years with PKers and Thieves, you know, the ashats who were driving paying customers away from UO to the point Origin had to create Tram to save the game they had spent so much time and money creating from being closed down due to lack of paying customers. Fel only got playable by more than PKers and Thieves after the PKer and Thieves left the game because they had driven away all their victims to Tram or other games, at which point the poor bored PKers and Thieves left the game as well because they had no one to hunt, they'd driven out their prey. I mean seriously, who is going to pay good money each month to have their fun ruined constantly by a bunch of mouthy clowns. I went through far to much of that scene back in the UO:Ren days to even want to see Siege turn into an ashat scene like Fel was back then.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tanivar - Perhaps a viable alternative would be to ask devs to make older gift items/deco available for purchase in the UO Store. Additional cashflow for them and deco for us is a win/win!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make sure you share all of your in game names so I can make sure to put them onto my Steal on Sight list...la
Two characters, Landreu, out of the sandstone shop on the coast straight west of the south end of the Zento mountains, and Tanivar, lives south of Luna in a sandstone house with plants on the roof. Should be around until sometime in September when the Tanivar account expires. Tanivar is the gatherer so he'd be the one to go for. Landreu's shop I'll set up so he can't be reached while stocking vendors. Have fun! :)

[Edit} Went one better and took the shop down. I'll either pass it on to someone or free the spot. Both my characters now work out of the house south of Luna.

Think I'll go paint the orc ship on Chessie and go mug a few merchant ships. Imagine I've a serious pile of powder built up with three paintings.:pirate:

Last edited:

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No point beating my head against a wall. You don't want more players, just empty house foundations? Fine. The will of the Siege Vets be done. After all, as they make clear, it's THEIR shard, not our or anyone elses shard.
I would like to know who these Siege Vets are who make it clear that this is their shard. I moved here a couple of months ago and have yet to meet anyone who tried to make me feel unwelcome on Siege. I am a fairly annoying person and they seem to put up with me. I play most days and I have yet to see these so called Siege Vets who bully or try to traumatize players off Siege.

As far as houses go I think you might be missing the whole point of Siege, its not a place for you to stay in your house, its a place for you to go out and hunt. I know you will come back with yeah but I will get pked if I am out hunting. Trust me there are plenty of places where you can go and no one will even bother you. I hunt all the time and rarely see anyone and I have not been bothered by anyone.

My very favorite memories of UO back in the day are of being pked in different places, by names that I actually remember. UO when it was great was fun because of the hidden danger, of being in the lich room and a gate would open. Out of that gate came a pk named Annie on Pacific, I remember those times, not decorating my house, or sitting inside it safe and sound.