• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shroud of the Avatar

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very cool interview with the Ultima history and I'm hopeful this game turns out.

Stranger

Lord of the Dance
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is exciting! If any of the designers/developers stumble upon this forum and read this, please remember to add dancing to the game! :)
If you don't, the game will be an utter failure :p

silent

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The statement below has me cautious... I get having a single player mode, but why wouldn't it be MMO? Richard mentioned being able to play with friends identified from your social networking lists but many of the relationships that have been made in UO would not have been possible without all of us being thrown into the world together. Are only portions of the map instanced so only friends can join you and towns are open to the full population?

Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game. We will be describing this in more detail in our upcoming community blogs.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya I mean idk I'm sure they will be shedding light on that topic soon..if there's going to be PVP I can't see how that's possible unless he meant PVP with friends..which I doubt highly..

btw EA..cute cheap shot at RG day he announced his new game..classy!

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya I mean idk I'm sure they will be shedding light on that topic soon..if there's going to be PVP I can't see how that's possible unless he meant PVP with friends..which I doubt highly..

btw EA..cute cheap shot at RG day he announced his new game..classy!
Probably instanced pvp similar to battlegrounds in WoW

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instanced nonsense and a multi millionaire getting us to finance the development of his game for shinies count me out.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know if there are any former UO development team members or UO players working on Shroud of the Avatar? I think Garriott's company, Portalarium, Inc., is located in Austin, Texas.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know if there are any former UO development team members or UO players working on Shroud of the Avatar? I think Garriott's company, Portalarium, Inc., is located in Austin, Texas.
Starr Long is I believe.. :)

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
From what I've read, there is a bunch from the Origin team involved. Kinda intriguing when you really think about it.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From what he said, pvp is no set in stone yet, and may involve you doing something, and the system telling others to look or and stop you. Not open pvp like in uo, nor shard based pvp as in wow.

It's interesting say the least, and I put my kickstart in, as I I'd when I paid 5 bucks to beta test UO

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like how the map looks to be a heavily edited version of the Lands of Lord British from the first Ultima.

Please note I am saying this honestly. No sarcasm.

Last edited:

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks nice, I wish UO could be adapted to have graphics like that. However, yet again, it is just a game where those with the most money get the most rewards. I will stick to Ultima Online.

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there was ever a game that could pull me away from UO, it would be this.
I think the only thing taht could pull me away from UO would be a UO2. UO2 would be like UO is now, but get rid of the double facets...Face it if you dont want to pvp, stay in Mala/Tokuno/Illeshner/Ter Mur and it would have full 3d graphics similar to the SOTA has. Until then, I guess I'll keep sending EA my money (even though they dont deserve it).

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks nice, I wish UO could be adapted to have graphics like that. However, yet again, it is just a game where those with the most money get the most rewards. I will stick to Ultima Online.

UO is already a sub fee and a cash shop. Most of EA newer mobile games will be a cash shop. Pay to win so to speak. UO is just over paid for little in return in my book. Either make it a sub fee and the devs can focus on the game or make it F2P and the devs focus on the cash shop and maintain the game.

They do both but I just don't see the improvements for the cash they are supposedly raking in for UO pouring back into the game. Most likely UO funded the Ultima Forever project and salary and costs of UO with it.

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looks pretty good...
  • Fully interactive virtual world - If it looks usable, it should do something
  • Deep original fiction - Ethical parables, cultural histories, fully developed alternate language text
  • Physical game components will be available: Cloth map, fictional manuals, trinkets
  • Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline
Except the single-player part. It's early yet though but regardless I'll definitely try it out, It's just with a single player/offline mode it's probably going to be similar to like Diablo 2/3 as far as the Multi-player thing goes, and pvp won't even be close to what UO has if that's the case.

We shall see.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Currently the "Online, but not MMO" model seems to either be the method used by Path of Exile and what is planned for Ultime Forever in which cities are open-world and specific questing areas/ dungeons/etc are all instanced based on solo or party play, or the fully instanced game version used by Diablo 3.

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
a multi millionaire getting us to finance the development of his game for shinies count me out.
I have seen similar criticism posted elsewhere, but I really don't understand why Garriott's wealth should preclude him from funding a project with Kickstarter. Given the option of funding a project yourself, or letting willing customers fund it and share the risk, I would think most smart business people would choose the 2nd option.

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This game is going to be fantastic! If you pledge $25 to the kick starter you get beta access and a digital copy of the game so it is really just like pre-ordering the game, only better.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen similar criticism posted elsewhere, but I really don't understand why Garriott's wealth should preclude him from funding a project with Kickstarter. Given the option of funding a project yourself, or letting willing customers fund it and share the risk, I would think most smart business people would choose the 2nd option.
He may figure that allowing people to help with the funding will make them feel a little bit like owners or shareholders, and that in turn may make them more apt to publicize the game by word of mouth.

snoozer

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Instanced nonsense and a multi millionaire getting us to finance the development of his game for shinies count me out.
Billionaire, and I wouldn't expect the average American (or UK) businessman to use their own money for their business ventures. But this is certainly a FAR cry from 'Ultima Online 2', this is more of a Ultima 8 or w/e - continuation of his single player games. Largely what I figured this game to be. I've had my doubts that the greatness that UO was - was in part mistake. The magery pvp that was introduced pre-tram / pre-'precasting' was what gave UO the mmo pvp spotlight. Additionally, sounds like a huge trap for microtransactions and questionable offline/online play and "multiplayer" status. UO's open and persistent world brought danger into the mix, along with vast exploration. Whatever the finished product is, if it is following the guidelines set forth by this revealing, it won't be UO 2.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

To me it looks like it's shaping up to be the main competitor to U4E. On the one hand, you have the "sanctioned" Ultima title which is choosing to go in a lighter direction in terms of style and gameplay and being put on iOS devices. On the other, you have the successor to the Ultima brand being created by the Ultima creator who is getting as close to the name as he possibly can without breaking trademark laws (LB is in the game, as are moongates (lunar portals), the land is essentially U3 Sosaria, Virtues will play a part, mention of the Avatar and Virtues in the title itself, and so on), but attempting to create a deeper game than what is being done with U4E.

Basically it looks like it will be comparable to Path of Exile vs Diablo 3 just based on the info given about both games.

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Billionaire, and I wouldn't expect the average American (or UK) businessman to use their own money for their business ventures.
Where have you heard that Garriott is a billionaire? Unless he has made some insanely good investments, I can't imagine he is anywhere near billions.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The great thing is..you can pledge or not..up to you!

I am however excited for more details on PVP and how that will be incorporated if not a full fledged MMORPG..

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I cant see him being a Billionair - thought he is not "poor" too ;)
I remember 2010 he was known to be the owner of "several hundred million dollars" and i think he recently won a conflict for 28 Million $ at the court..
I guess he is somewhere near 250 Million $ - a bit behind me.......ok in UO gold ;)

Last edited:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too am confused why a guy who dropped $30m to hitch a ride on a rocketship needs people to drop any money on this game. My best guess is to get a feel from people interested in this sort of game.

Can't say it intrigues me enough to pitch in or play it over some of the other titles out.

Judging by the "experience" you get from killing things in the game trailer, looks like a grind to me with less than stellar graphics.

I've played other ultima games in the series, and after playing UO for 13 years I guess I just expected more at this point.

I'll have to pass.

Mistura

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To those of you complaining because he isn't ploughing his own capitol into this:

In the nicest possible way, stop being so immature and ask yourself this question:

If you were a developer or product creator of any kind, would you not prefer to have the guarantee of being paid before you really went to work?

Or would you rather have $1m in the wind along with countless hours without really knowing if anyone would buy it?

What he is offering is advanced access and other cool bonuses for those who are very interested in this game. Guess what, it's been a roaring success and now the game will be going ahead for sure and they KNOW it's going to be well received.

Not only has this meant that they've been funded, it's also great for team moral and will keep them focused knowing there are a large number of rabid fans chomping at the bit to start playing in December.

Garriot has built a formidable reputation by being one of the founding fathers of the MMO genre and if he did not choose to leverage that - he would be making a very bad business decision.

For you guys to complain about that - your just being silly.

---

I'll pick up one of the Alpha - Beta packages this week because it's not expensive and no more than I would be paying when the game is actually released.

The other higher up packages are cool for the true rabid fans and by the looks of it, there are plenty of them out there.

Can't wait to test this puppy out!

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Backers
$800,472
pledged of $1,000,000 goal

days to go

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Billionaire, and I wouldn't expect the average American (or UK) businessman to use their own money for their business ventures. But this is certainly a FAR cry from 'Ultima Online 2', this is more of a Ultima 8 or w/e - continuation of his single player games. Largely what I figured this game to be. I've had my doubts that the greatness that UO was - was in part mistake. The magery pvp that was introduced pre-tram / pre-'precasting' was what gave UO the mmo pvp spotlight. Additionally, sounds like a huge trap for microtransactions and questionable offline/online play and "multiplayer" status. UO's open and persistent world brought danger into the mix, along with vast exploration. Whatever the finished product is, if it is following the guidelines set forth by this revealing, it won't be UO 2.
Plus he's already put a ton of money into it. The video of stuff you are seeing that's already been designed didn't come free. There are developers, graphic designers, social media people to pay, etc. etc.

I don't have a problem investing in it to be able to test out the beta. In fact, I've scheduled weekly "payments" to increase my support of this project. It sounds awesome. RG got me into gaming in 1993 with U7. I followed him on into to UO. If he's got a new game coming out in THAT genre, I'm all over it. I've watched all the live video streams of this and it sounds wonderful (even if it will continue to change as they design it). They are listening to what people are asking for. So if you really CARE about this game and it's development, I highly recommend you speak up, get on the website forums and pitch in a few bucks to be in beta.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Backers
$868,123
pledged of $1,000,000 goal

days to go

BenK

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Hi all,

I'm supporting the Stratics team getting a lot more information about SotA up on the site; news, interviews and FAQs. If there is anything you really want to see please post on here or feel free to message me and we will see what we can do :)

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope this works out. It looks like it could be great, however it'll have to be awesome to pull me away from UO. I wish RG and his team the very best... I want you to pull me away from UO so very badly!!! LOL

Last edited:

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks quite interesting. Always found Garriot's approach and views on world creation commendable. What ever is inc, I'm pretty sure it at least won't be a collection of pathetic L shaped pipes.