• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Show me your coolest nightmare & reptalon templates

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi folks!

I have a decent legacy nightmare in my stables and need some inspiration :)

Prerequisites: Versatiliy and PVM only (both bosses and spawn).

I would love to see what you did with your mares!

Thank you!

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did necro mage. Great for barracoon, will be decent at pvp incase we get raided.

Think i did 550 hp, 700 str mr at 30 hpr at 20 stam r at 5.

No room for scrolls tho.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Most people do AI/Chiv on pre-patch nightmares, which has very good damage output, and that's what I did on my pre-patch mare. I kind of wish I had made it necromage now because I have ai/chiv on all my pets that can have it and it would be nice to just have 1 that's different. I could still make a necromage mare with the nightmares that currently spawn, but would be very tight on training points compared to the legacy ones.

I don't know if you have experience leveling up and training pets or not, but if you don't, I highly recommend stabling the legacy nightmare and level up a few other pets first to get a feel for the system and what you like. Once you level them and assign training points, it cannot be undone. These legacy pets cannot be replaced so you don't want to screw them up.

Below is the link for the pre-patch nightmare guide that most people use.
Training: Legacy Nightmares | uo-cah.com

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you! Excellent. Necromage and AI/Chiv seem most promising. Is there any skill which can be combined with AI except Chiv?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hi folks!

I have a decent legacy nightmare in my stables and need some inspiration :)

Prerequisites: Versatiliy and PVM only (both bosses and spawn).

I would love to see what you did with your mares!

Thank you!
I'll preface this by saying: I have tried just about every spec of nightmare there is possible, with exception of Discord. Nightmares were always my favorite animal in game.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of ways to go with your nightmare and still have it be a performance beast.

This has to do with the nightmare getting preloaded dragon breath and magery, 2 out of 3 possible.

This doesn't make it a good bosses and mass killing spawn pet.

If it didn't come preloaded with either of them, then a lot of spec's would open up.

This is why I usually suggest Chiv AI. It's pretty much the all around best performer.

Chivalry is just powerful, cleanses, EoO,

There is also Chiv/FWW, get less hit points with this, but it's good for weaker physical resist spawns and if the boss is physical weak, it does good damage.

Some people have tried the Nox Mage. You spec poison, then poison breath, then switch back to Master Magery. This is good for small spawn, will suck for anything that has poison resistance and you just don't get the dps of AI or FWW.

Magery itself is generally much weaker than Chivalry. Magery accounts for just 6-8% of an animal with Magery's DPS,

Then you have the Necromage spec, it's very tight. VERY. Most people don't believe me on how tight a spec it can be. You will have to make sacrifices. It also just doesn't have the preformance of Chivalry in PVM. It used to be very good in PvP, but got nerfed a couple patches ago.

Some people like the Mysticism/AI on their nightmare. It's not the performer of chiv though, but. Has a little more aoe.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Any skill can, but the damage output of chiv is high.
Add in the cure, and remove curse. EOO and AI do best damage .

Necro mage is great because the get mage mastery(teleports) as well as some necro mastery stuff, wither spam, and SS for heals.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I havent been so EXCITED since the 1990s! This pet training is so new to me. I always played spellcasters only in absolutely any combination and relied on my knowledge. I hated vetting and taking care for pets, out of lazyness I preferred summons (no feeding, no stable, no healing). This is really the FIRST TIME I play a tamer seriously and enjoying it. And its a blast! I mean, for you guys thats "cold coffee". But for me, its super hot, super fresh, super exciting. So much fun watching my silly, weak, stupid animals becoming killing machines and playing around with them and even soloing things which had limited my solo-options for some time. WOW!

Please, keep posting even your weird nightmare temps. And by the way: How about a reptalon? (Changed the topic of this thread to nightmare & reptalon)...

I love what the devs did to taming.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I havent been so EXCITED since the 1990s! This pet training is so new to me. I always played spellcasters only in absolutely any combination and relied on my knowledge. I hated vetting and taking care for pets, out of lazyness I preferred summons (no feeding, no stable, no healing). This is really the FIRST TIME I play a tamer seriously and enjoying it. And its a blast! I mean, for you guys thats "cold coffee". But for me, its super hot, super fresh, super exciting. So much fun watching my silly, weak, stupid animals becoming killing machines and playing around with them and even soloing things which had limited my solo-options for some time. WOW!

Please, keep posting even your weird nightmare temps. And by the way: How about a reptalon? (Changed the topic of this thread to nightmare & reptalon)...

I love what the devs did to taming.
Reptalons are one of my favorite looking pets using the enhance client. I put armor ignore and chivalry on mine. They spawn as both 2 or 3 slot and the 2 slot ones are somewhat rare (3% or so in my experience). They spawn in the labyrinth which is a death trap. I had a couple guild friends helping me to clear the spawn until a 2 slot finally spawned and we all died multiple times. They come with dragon breath and paralyze. If you get a 2 slot, which is highly recommended, they get a ton of training points, so it's easy to get high HP on them and still have plenty of room to max 120 scrolls-if you can get them.

Reptalon

You may see some older posts like this one where people are discussing a pets "native mana regen." It was once thought that pets had different levels of mana regen; this has since been proven false so ignore it. Just a general tip: pay close attention to the date of any posts you read on stratics because there's a lot of old information here that no longer applies due to patches or has since been tested and found to be false, particularly if the post is more than a year old.

Last edited:

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did a 2 slot reptalon. I messed it up but it's decent at tanking. I did AI, and poison and it's dps is very low. So I added hp to make it more tank based. Put good regens and stats, but it's no where close to my AI chiv cu sidhe. It never dies, but I rarely use it because of my template. They're not bad pets though, I'll redo one right someday.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Reptalons are one of my favorite looking pets using the enhance client. I put armor ignore and chivalry on mine. They spawn as both 2 or 3 slot and the 2 slot ones are somewhat rare (3% or so in my experience)...They come with dragon breath and paralyze. If you get a 2 slot, which is highly recommended, they get a ton of training points, so it's easy to get high HP on them and still have plenty of room to max 120 scrolls-if you can get them.
@Khyro is a big reptalon user. I have some on the shards we spend less time on. 2 slot reptalons have nearly 600 more intensity points than a Cu Sidhe.
Unfortunately due to the innate dragon breath and paralyze, they are limited in spec's available to them. Unfortunately, as with most pets, Chiv/AI is the best spec for them. Chiv is just that much of a performer

You may see some older posts like this one where people are discussing a pets "native mana regen." It was once thought that pets had different levels of mana regen; this has since been proven false so ignore it. Just a general tip: pay close attention to the date of any posts you read on stratics because there's a lot of old information here that no longer applies due to patches or has since been tested and found to be false, particularly if the post is more than a year old.
I would prefer people to ask their question then search and find old information, thinking that is accurate.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Reptalons are one of my favorite looking pets using the enhance client. I put armor ignore and chivalry on mine. They spawn as both 2 or 3 slot and the 2 slot ones are somewhat rare (3% or so in my experience). They spawn in the labyrinth which is a death trap. I had a couple guild friends helping me to clear the spawn until a 2 slot finally spawned and we all died multiple times. They come with dragon breath and paralyze. If you get a 2 slot, which is highly recommended, they get a ton of training points, so it's easy to get high HP on them and still have plenty of room to max 120 scrolls-if you can get them.

Reptalon

I have several Chiv/AI Reptalons, they are fantastic! Dragon Breath is Dragon Breath, hopefully one day we can override it. Paralyze isn't too bad, it can help lock down a mob that keeps moving, but I'd prefer that ability not be there. It would open up some wild specs like Chiv/Ai/FWW, or even just basic Chiv/AI/Mortal Strike.

2-Slotters are definitely beasts. You can fully 120 them, give them 800 hits, and still have enough points left for very high SR or obscene amounts of mana (I'd take SR in this case).

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I would prefer people to ask their question then search and find old information, thinking that is accurate.
Yea, what @Khaelor said. Taming has had some pretty big changes in each patch we've had since 97, so a lot of older information is outdated. My advice if you do run across an older thread with information you are curious about -- don't necro the thread, but post a new thread asking for clarification. We'd much rather answer in a new thread than damage control a necro'd thread :p

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Reptalon:

Get a 2 slot Reptalon. They have plenty of points. The mana drops fast because they have dragon breath. They need active consume, healing or vetting when fighting tough things.

You can choose AI and almost any magic. Chiv is the best magic to put on one. If you want to make another, put AI and Mysticism.

Last edited:

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Reptalon:

Get a 2 slot Reptalon. They have plenty of points. The mana drops fast because they have dragon breath. They need active consume, healing or vetting when fighting tough things.

You can choose AI and almost any magic. Chiv is the best magic to put on one. If you want to make another, put AI and Mysticism.
Yes, the mana on my reptalon does drop very very fast. I put 1000 mana on it because it was one of my first pets and didn't know better and it still drops like crazy. So I know for next time, how much mana do you recommend for a reptalon? They have so many points it's easy to add them to the wrong places!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is really the FIRST TIME I play a tamer seriously and enjoying it. And its a blast!
You need to make each these: (in no particular order) The 2 I know you have are at the end. 5 Slot pets.

Cu Sidhe

Lesser Hiryu More points than Hiryu but same build choices

Reptalon

Equines

All of those can be mounted and do different damages and can get Chivalry.

The Tokuno pets (Hiryus) can get real Bushido and Ninjitsu. That means they use abilities and damagers from those magics.

Then you have:

Giant Beetle

Fire Beetle

Those have Poison as their best magic. You would add AI and Rune Corruption to these.
Poison optional but it is supposed to work better now.

Non Mounts:

2 slot Najasaurus

There are the Crimson/Platinum Drakes that do 100% elemental damage.

Cold Drake

Other flappy pets.

They can get AI/Chiv.

Some interesting things: That need more points.

Ossein Ram
Skree
Tsuki wolf
Dread Spider

Then you have an assortment of Eodon Pets.

Hiryus are the only mountable pets that can get and use all magics except Magery and Necro.

You can make one with each of the magics and they can use them.

The addiction will soon be strong in you.

how much mana do you recommend for a reptalon?
I'm at 500 - 600 on mana now for anything general purpose. I would stop at 800 HP for a Reptalon but you may have one with so many points you may have spare points and need to use them somewhere. Especially if you dont use all 120 scrolls. If you are happy with the build theres no problem with high mana on a Reptalon.

All pets need to be like a 2 slot Reptalon.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thinking of building out this template with my legacy nightmare. Thoughts? Any major weaknesses?

Saved Planner | uo-cah.com
If that was my mare, I’d go chiv and AI. I didn’t see a tactics or parry scroll in that build. Also didn’t see any HPR. In the end it’s your pet but I’ve not anyone say go necromage it rocks. Most people I’ve talked to said they’d wish they had gone chivalry or mysticism or magery mastery.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If that was my mare, I’d go chiv and AI. I didn’t see a tactics or parry scroll in that build. Also didn’t see any HPR. In the end it’s your pet but I’ve not anyone say go necromage it rocks. Most people I’ve talked to said they’d wish they had gone chivalry or mysticism or magery mastery.
Yeah, I understand your logic. I could drop the HP to 500 and have more room for scrolls and HP Regen. I just have a really good Chiv/AI Lesser and a Mystic/AI/Goo Fire Steed. There's only one mountable pet that feasibly can be a Necromage and that's a legacy nightmare, hence my interest. Though a Magery Master/AI nightmare is an appealing thought.

Saved Planner | uo-cah.com

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just a couple quick things,
Pets should be thought of as weapons. a Sampire carries one of each damage of a couple different types of weapons, a tamer should do the same (preferably with Chiv/AI as it is by far the highest damage dealing spec). Something to think about for furture pets.

You may want to look into 105 tactics, without a tactics scroll, anytime your pet dies, you will lose the damage bonus of GM tactics (its a lot of damage).

Pets don't fizzle, so the 110 magery scroll would only really help a tiny bit with how much it heals. It doesn't increase damage or anything. For a necromare, I would put those 50 points into something else.

Magery Mastery/AI is a build any nightmare can get, the nice thing about legacy mares is they have enough points to get another magic and still be a fully fleshed out animal.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
just a couple quick things,
Pets should be thought of as weapons. a Sampire carries one of each damage of a couple different types of weapons, a tamer should do the same (preferably with Chiv/AI as it is by far the highest damage dealing spec). Something to think about for furture pets.

You may want to look into 105 tactics, without a tactics scroll, anytime your pet dies, you will lose the damage bonus of GM tactics (its a lot of damage).

Pets don't fizzle, so the 110 magery scroll would only really help a tiny bit with how much it heals. It doesn't increase damage or anything. For a necromare, I would put those 50 points into something else.

Magery Mastery/AI is a build any nightmare can get, the nice thing about legacy mares is they have enough points to get another magic and still be a fully fleshed out animal.
Thank you! This post is very helpful. I did not realize that pets don't fizzle.

Here is a modified necromage template: Saved Planner | uo-cah.com. I usually use a bard/tamer template, so the peace songs will help with the lack of regeneration.

I also put together this chiv template: Saved Planner | uo-cah.com. Obviously this would be a powerful pet, but I have a LH with a similar breakdown and 850+ hit points.

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haya, I have to ask why pets dont fizzle. I mean, I`ve trained up several nightmares and I´ve seen many times that nightmare fizzling with magery spells. I`ve heard the fizzling sound and have seen that fizzling black cloud on my pet.
I dont think it was intercepted and so it fizzled. All that fizzling nightmares had low magery skills up to 70% magery. But they had full stamina with 150.
Am I wrong with my perception?

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hear a pet fizzle sometimes too.
Maybe its when you or someone else blesses the pet and the pet then attempts to cast a stat buff on itself.

Henzy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
my legacy nightmare has chiv/AI, all 120 scrolls, STR/DEX/INT 700/150/370, HP/MANA 600/500 HPR/SR/MR 20/10/30 Resists 80/75/70/70/70 Base Damage 24-33. What to do with the 171 remaining training points??? Did I forget something (important)?

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd use the rest for 56+ hit points and the remaining 3 points for mana

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd use the rest for 56+ hit points and the remaining 3 points for mana
This is a matter of personal preference, but IMO 600HP is plenty. I'd dump everything into mana which should help DPS.