• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should I stay or should I go?

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wasn't sure where to even post this. It is about UO, but it really isn't about UO. And I am not really looking for an answer. :D

I will totally beat around the bush for (or won't even state) my main reason for posting this.

When do you decide enough is enough and drop the unsubscribe hammer on UO?
I would suspect the number one reason for people is financial.
Just can't afford it anymore.
Perhaps they stop playing, forget to update payment. Stop checking emails since the inboxes are so flooded and everything is on auto payment, seems everything can be now..... A lady died and a year or so later her checking account ran out of money and finally someone noticed. <-real story. (oh...no she didn't play UO)
Perhaps all the people you played with are long gone.
Perhaps you have grown a little bit in some direction other than this arena.
Perhaps this is an addiction for you and, even though you scorn other addicts, it took you a while to realize you are one too, just a different drug makin' you happy.
Perhaps you are a well adjusted person and just know you can do something better with your time.

I do wonder where I fall in the scheme of fading away from this world.
I just think I have logged in for so long that not doing it seems so very wrong.
Perhaps sentimental. Holding onto and hoping for a return of feelings.

This is usually the spot where I backspace everything and close the browser... aka just writing to get things off my chest. I won't do that today.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's still my escape Garr Grimbeard worries only which direction the sea wind blows Vanessa Chocula loves him but understands he's crazy and has her duties to the king as a member of his secret service the valkyries Count Chocula still seeks revenge on Garr but has found solice in music...plus who would annoy paddy cakes

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You think that's the number 1 reason? I had always assumed most of ya'll were welfare people. Norrington said it wasn't so, but ya'll have some telling personality traits and spend time in a game that requires a lot of time.

I leave and leave and leave again for the same reason... I get bored and the game takes too much time.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Welfare people??

*sighs*

That's even more of a reason to fall under the *Just can't afford it anymore* category. have you ever been on Welfare??

Anyway, Gidge...there really is no answer to your question...it's different for everyone.

I left twice. The first time was because I decided my newborn daughter was more important (She's 21 now)
The second time I fell into the *I can't afford it* category...having a second child (She's 19 now) gets expensive! lol

I just sent Bonnie an E-mail to get my Historical House Banner.....just turned 13 this month...LAST Month...geesh it's July already??

SO yeah it depends....do you feel like your time is better spent doing something else? There's a better use for the money you spend on the game?

IF you do leave...will you be missed? And for how long?

I remember almost every person I have played with for an extended amount of time....the first couple that introduced me to the game and Fel....the first guild I was in on Napa (And am STILL in, keeping it for posterity), the super cool couple that we actually met in real life and spent the day together...the first guy who helped me train Blacksmithing....we eventually met in real life and spent the day together.

I'm sure many people have stories just like this.

All I know is that I will remember you....just like I remember a lot of other players that I only know as names on Stratics..

Remember Fayled??

The Thief.....all I have to do is type

...la

And people will know who I am talking about.

You have left your mark....it's all in your heart deciding if the game is worth your time anymore.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's even more of a reason to fall under the *Just can't afford it anymore* category. have you ever been on Welfare??
Never.

And I don't require experience to know it's you taking from people that have tried harder. In the US at least.

Two kids and been on welfare?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am not ashamed to admit that yes...both of my kids are autistic, one is on Disability so yes I I was on Welfare for a time so I could take care of my kids.

Don't lump all Welfare recipients into one category please.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am not ashamed to admit that yes...both of my kids are autistic, one is on Disability so yes I I was on Welfare for a time so I could take care of my kids.

I do if they play video games.

I think the population of this game contributed to the bad things I see in the game. I think players that are WELFARE PEOPLE use this game as a job for players that like to work and pay money for content. I think this relationship contributed to the bad economy and is one of the reasons the devs have to have such horrendous drop rates that make the game less fun for those of us that want to play it and get things within a more reasonable time frame.

And yes, I do judge people on welfare that play video games. I can and do. Most of ya'll have multiple accounts too. It's. Crazy.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I do if they play video games.

I think the population of this game contributed to the bad things I see in the game. I think players that are WELFARE PEOPLE use this game as a job for players that like to work and pay money for content. I think this relationship contributed to the bad economy and is one of the reasons the devs have to have such horrendous drop rates that make the game less fun for those of us that want to play it and get things within a more reasonable time frame.

And yes, I do judge people on welfare that play video games. I can and do. Most of ya'll have multiple accounts too. It's. Crazy.
This is not the correct thread for this topic...but I did say I WAS on Welfare...not that I AM still on Welfare.

I earn my money as do both of my children now and I am very proud that they are both working.

It's people like you that put a sour taste in my mouth. Aim your hatred at those who are still on welfare and have their nails done (At least $100), their hair extensions in, jewelry dripping off of them. I did say I quit twice...why do you think that is?

Anyway...I am done with you and your skewed thoughts.

Gidge, stay or go, you will always have the memories that you've made while you were here, those, at least to me, are priceless.

Queen Mum

Crazed Zealot
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Interesting how some people like to assume things about other people. Daddy would remind me ... assuming makes an ass out of them, NOT YOU. He helped me learn about life with such sentiments.

As for the 'kids', they are precious souls that I have had the wonderful experience of watching them grow to be as kind, caring, and beautiful, just like their momma!!

*cookie hugs* always :)

autisim1.jpg

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Interesting how some people like to assume things about other people. Daddy would remind me ... assuming makes an ass out of you, NOT ME. He helped me learn about life with such sentiments.

As for the 'kids', they are precious souls that I have had the wonderful experience of watching them grow to be as kind, caring, and beautiful people, just like their momma!!

View attachment 131910
I didn't assume anything. And having an autistic child isn't grounds for being on welfare for years. Tired of people coddling you. I didn't expect to win community cheers from my post. Like I said. I assume most of you are.

The problem with Larissa's post is that she's responding to what I said and then magicking up the fact that she wasn't on welfare. I stated the premise of my argument clearly and she inserted herself into that premise. It's not an assumption from that point.

You had a kid. Congratulations. Everyone can do it and you did it. Thumbs up. Being a stay at home mom isn't a tough job either. If a high school drop out can make it, you can.

It's alarming that you all think the most common reason for quitting is not being able to afford a $15 subscription. Maybe if someone wasn't telling you "*Cookie Hugs*" 20 years ago, that wouldn't be the common reason.

Unless you are genuinely disabled, get out of my paycheck. If you can play this video game 3+ hours a day, you can get a job.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Interesting how some people like to assume things about other people. Daddy would remind me ... assuming makes an ass out of you (them), NOT ME. He helped me learn about life with such sentiments.

As for the 'kids', they are precious souls that I have had the wonderful experience of watching them grow to be as kind, caring, and beautiful, just like their momma!!

View attachment 131910
*cookie hugs*

Thanks Mum...the girls always fondly speak of you as *The cookie lady*

Every Christmas Amber can't wait to put her little Angel ornament on the tree...and our Cookie Mouse has a special spot each year :)

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I didn't assume anything. And having an autistic child isn't grounds for being on welfare for years. Tired of people coddling you. I didn't expect to win community cheers from my post. Like I said. I assume most of you are.

The problem with Larissa's post is that she's responding to what I said and then magicking up the fact that she wasn't on welfare. I stated the premise of my argument clearly and she inserted herself into that premise. It's not an assumption from that point.

You had a kid. Congratulations. Everyone can do it and you did it. Thumbs up. Being a stay at home mom isn't a tough job either. If a high school drop out can make it, you can.

It's alarming that you all think the most common reason for quitting is not being able to afford a $15 subscription. Maybe if someone wasn't telling you "*Cookie Hugs*" 20 years ago, that wouldn't be the common reason.

Unless you are genuinely disabled, get out of my paycheck. If you can play this video game 3+ hours a day, you can get a job.
Your level of a$$hole is unprecedented

Queen Mum

Crazed Zealot
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Lore

Perhaps you forgot what you posted. You admitted to your own assuming of people you know nothing about.

"You think that's the number 1 reason? I had always assumed most of ya'll were welfare people. Norrington said it wasn't so, but ya'll have some telling personality traits and spend time in a game that requires a lot of time.

I leave and leave and leave again for the same reason... I get bored and the game takes too much time."

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’m I on welfare as well lol

hope you stay but if you do leave I hope you come back soon:grouphug:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Your level of a$$hole is unprecedented
No. The people on welfare that play UO are the *******s. This is a game with a huge time commitment and they are on welfare. And this isn't unleashed so you may want to uncensor bypass that.

Again, US only and if not genuinely disabled and unable to play more than an hour or two.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No. The people on welfare that play UO are the *******s. This is a game with a huge time commitment and they are on welfare. And this isn't unleashed so you may want to uncensor bypass that.

Again, US only and if not genuinely disabled and unable to play more than an hour or two.
You are making a huge assumption that everyone who plays the game invests huge amounts of time to it.

Are you feeling guilty about how much time you spend in the game, as financially solvent as you are, that
you need to insult others to feel better?

Hope you feel better about yourself soon.

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's sad that this thread was derailed so quickly.

Gidge, I haven't played much in maybe five years. The game had lost it's magic for me. I only keep my accounts because my wife still plays regularly.

When I do the seldom play I have to find my own magic. In holding player events I found some of that magic again (though it's been a long while for that as well). That is something you may want to look into if you don't already.

I've recently considered doing some role playing. I may give that a try at some point. My days of feeling social seem to be over though so I'd just quietly role play off alone somewhere.

Is this what youre looking for?

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You think that's the number 1 reason? I had always assumed most of ya'll were welfare people. Norrington said it wasn't so, but ya'll have some telling personality traits and spend time in a game that requires a lot of time.

I leave and leave and leave again for the same reason... I get bored and the game takes too much time.
Nope, I am no welfare person. I loyally work diligently for my income to spend as I see fit. :) My pointing to a finance direction was more along the lines of.... Now have kids, bought a new car, bought a new home. bought a new boat! and the money someone is spending on UO, albeit a small amount, coupled with some other small munchers of funds could support a new direction.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's sad that this thread was derailed so quickly.

Gidge, I haven't played much in maybe five years. The game had lost it's magic for me. I only keep my accounts because my wife still plays regularly.

When I do the seldom play I have to find my own magic. In holding player events I found some of that magic again (though it's been a long while for that as well). That is something you may want to look into if you don't already.

I've recently considered doing some role playing. I may give that a try at some point. My days of feeling social seem to be over though so I'd just quietly role play off alone somewhere.

Is this what youre looking for?
I think I have done it all really. pked, pvp'd, roleplayed, stolen, given, built, fished, spawned, crafted. My latest thought is of placing homes, designing them, filling them (not with high priced items) and then auctioning them off, or giving them away.

I feel like I could be doing something more productive than staring at a monitor. Even thought I am technically doing something.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’ve felt that way many times and have stopped playing many times for months even a year on and off (kept all accounts active) take a break until the 25th anniversary

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never feel ashamed or let anyone make you feel ashamed for being on welfare for helping your family. I'm not on welfare don't have kids almost did lost it never tried again. I got disabled applied for ssid didn't have enough work hours was denied that. I did get ssi $841.00 a month ebt card $125.00 a month and medicaid.got free gov phone
I live in income based senior / disabled housing 1 bedroom apartment pay $211.00 month. cable wifi and dte $145.00. I don't drive get free transporation use instacart buy from stores who take my ebt card. I buy my personal items on amazon under my nieces prime account that way I get free shipping and handling. i play uo for me not to make real money off it. i pay every 6 months cost me $10 month. I'm not ashamed I'm grateful to have these things so I'm able to live.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Never feel ashamed or let anyone make you feel ashamed for being on welfare for helping your family. I'm not on welfare don't have kids almost did lost it never tried again. I got disabled applied for ssid didn't have enough work hours was denied that. I did get ssi $841.00 a month ebt card $125.00 a month and medicaid.got free gov phone
I live in income based senior / disabled housing 1 bedroom apartment pay $211.00 month. cable wifi and dte $145.00. I don't drive get free transporation use instacart buy from stores who take my ebt card. I buy my personal items on amazon under my nieces prime account that way I get free shipping and handling. i play uo for me not to make real money off it. i pay every 6 months cost me $10 month. I'm not ashamed I'm grateful to have these things so I'm able to live.
You should be ashamed. It's not supposed to be a party when you're on welfare. There should inherently be shame in it. You aren't providing to the community, but you're taking from it.

I don't consider Social Security welfare though. That's something you've probably been investing into all your working life, for most people anyways.

Last edited:

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
You should be ashamed. It's not supposed to be a party when you're on welfare. There should inherently be shame in it. You aren't providing to the community, but you're taking from it.

I don't consider Social Security welfare though. That's something you've probably been investing into all your working life, for most people anyways.
Sometimes things happen and people need a hand up but you would just throw them all under the bus. What a heartless A$$hole

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

alot of them worked before going on welfare had no choice had to go on it people with cancer who need it once they are able to work again they do. my niece had cancer at the age 18 had to be put on welfare because she couldn't work when she was in high school she went through training to be a firefighter then a paramedic while she worked as a dispatcher at the firehouse once she was cured she went back to work also went to nursing school and became a nurse. My niece wanted to go out with her best friends one night, she couldn't because she had to go into work a call came in a care was hit by a train that night. since 2 people were answering the phones. She was asked to come along she agreed to. When they got there it was her best friends that were in that accident. 2 were dead on impact 1 was almost cut in halve my niece was holding her had while others worked on her she woke up and pleaded with my niece to not let her die then she passed away soon afterwards. this reason she became a nurse was to much for her going on that call she kept her dispatcher job but never went back out.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sometimes things happen and people need a hand up but you would just throw them all under the bus. What a heartless A$$hole
And sometimes people take advantage. From my experience, most of the time.
alot of them worked before going on welfare had no choice had to go on it people with cancer who need it once they are able to work again they do. my niece had cancer at the age 18 had to be put on welfare because she couldn't work when she was in high school she went through training to be a firefighter then a paramedic while she worked as a dispatcher at the firehouse once she was cured she went back to work also went to nursing school and became a nurse. My niece wanted to go out with her best friends one night, she couldn't because she had to go into work a call came in a care was hit by a train that night. since 2 people were answering the phones. She was asked to come along she agreed to. When they got there it was her best friends that were in that accident. 2 were dead on impact 1 was almost cut in halve my niece was holding her had while others worked on her she woke up and pleaded with my niece to not let her die then she passed away soon afterwards. this reason she became a nurse was to much for her going on that call she kept her dispatcher job but never went back out.
And like I said, genuinely disabled, fine. Sounds like your niece did what I am advocating. Not playing UO all day and using welfare to get back on your feet only.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
When it comes to making money, you do what you gotta do. If it includes welfare, do it. If I could qualify, I'd be on it. The people I can't stand are the homeless that are too lazy to even apply for welfare.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

You and your attitude on this are excrement, ya know? Have you EVER raised an autistic child? Do you know all the special things a parent needs to determine, do for that child? If not, then just shut up and get out of this thread ... you aren't needed here.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Gidge @Larisa

Gidge - if you're feeling like there's nothing left you want to do, then pack it in and leave for a while. I did ... packed up stuff I wanted to keep, dismantled the house, killed the CC on accounts and walked away. Three times. I'm retired now and time #4 is on the horizon. I'm at the "bored, bored, bored" stage. This one will be final.

Larisa - good for you with the kids! Regardless of how Sir Heartless feels (Lore), I think what you did to insure their welfare was the best thing you could have done. I thinking (might be wrong) UO was your release time when you needed a break.

Take care, Ladies ... you do what you believe will make ya happy and flip the bird to anyone who feels different.

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You and your attitude on this are excrement, ya know? Have you EVER raised an autistic child? Do you know all the special things a parent needs to determine, do for that child? If not, then just shut up and get out of this thread ... you aren't needed here.
Your child doesn't make you some hero or some welfare recipient for life. Tired of people hiding behind children too. I work with many people with Autistic children and they are still working. It's tough, but you don't have to be on welfare for it. Having a child with special needs is not some life sentence to being poor. You've probably made a series of poor decisions and need to own up to those instead of being entitled to stuff from others.

I didn't expect to win ****ing awards here saying it. I've just always suspected it.

And if you have time to play ****ing UO, you have time to work.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Your child doesn't make you some hero or some welfare recipient for life. Tired of people hiding behind children too. I work with many people with Autistic children and they are still working. It's tough, but you don't have to be on welfare for it. Having a child with special needs is not some life sentence to being poor. You've probably made a series of poor decisions and need to own up to those instead of being entitled to stuff from others.

I didn't expect to win ****ing awards here saying it. I've just always suspected it.

And if you have time to play ****ing UO, you have time to work.
Sorry to tell you but if you are the sole care giver of a person then no you are not able to work. Most states provide some assistance like 1-2 hours 2-3 times per week other than that you are there 24/7 and there is a HUGE difference between sitting at a computer and even going outside to BBQ a hamburger undisturbed.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry to tell you but if you are the sole care giver of a person then no you are not able to work. Most states provide some assistance like 1-2 hours 2-3 times per week other than that you are there 24/7 and there is a HUGE difference between sitting at a computer and even going outside to BBQ a hamburger undisturbed.
Why would you be the one caregiver of a person that takes two people to make?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh I don't know maybe the other person could not handle it and left or maybe it is your spouse you are taking care of.
Thanks for playing along. So you're holding a child up as an excuse to other decisions in your life. Like I said.

Don't stop going to school or professional training until you're ready to admit you're too stupid to continue.
Don't get married until you start a career.
Don't get pregnant until you're married.

Those are the rules people. Stop blaming your kids if you don't follow those easy rules.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Thanks for playing along. So you're holding a child up as an excuse to other decisions in your life. Like I said.

Don't stop going to school or professional training until you're ready to admit you're too stupid to continue.
Don't get married until you start a career.
Don't get pregnant until you're married.

Those are the rules people. Stop blaming your kids if you don't follow those easy rules.
LMAO You think this is a fu.cking game, playing along with. You are totally clueless what is required of a 24/7 care giver and what Medicare or the state you live in provides.
I truly feel sorry for you, I have never met such a coldhearted person as you, i bet you would even walk by a dyeing person and tell them it is their fault that they are incapable of taking themselves to the ER

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
LMAO You think this is a fu.cking game, playing along with. You are totally clueless what is required of a 24/7 care giver and what Medicare or the state you live in provides.
I truly feel sorry for you, I have never met such a coldhearted person as you, i bet you would even walk by a dyeing person and tell them it is their fault that they are incapable of taking themselves to the ER
It's not cold hearted. I'm for welfare... that you eventually get off of and aren't playing UO while on.

What's cold hearted is taking that money and playing UO all day.

What's cold hearted is making a series of bad decisions in life and then holding a kid up in front of them like they're the reason.

Also, it is a game. You all lie and half truth and have lied to yourselves. It's a game having to word things in a way that makes you dig a hole. Only true psychopaths make bad decisions without all kinds of lies or excuses they've told themselves. It's a game to pull out the real reason and decisions from people that aren't psychopaths because they've built these walls of excuses that make no sense.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
It's not cold hearted. I'm for welfare... that you eventually get off of and aren't playing UO while on.

What's cold hearted is taking that money and playing UO all day.

What's cold hearted is making a series of bad decisions in life and then holding a kid up in front of them like they're the reason.
I am just so happy that nothing bad has ever happened to you and that your life is so perfect, it must be nice.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am just so happy that nothing bad has ever happened to you and that your life is so perfect, it must be nice.
They haven't because I followed the rules and I worked hard to make sure they didn't happen.

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasn't sure where to even post this. It is about UO, but it really isn't about UO. And I am not really looking for an answer. :D

I will totally beat around the bush for (or won't even state) my main reason for posting this.

When do you decide enough is enough and drop the unsubscribe hammer on UO?
I would suspect the number one reason for people is financial.
Perhaps they stop playing, forget to update payment. Stop checking emails since the inboxes are so flooded and everything is on auto payment, seems everything can be now..... A lady died and a year or so later her checking account ran out of money and finally someone noticed. <-real story. (oh...no she didn't play UO)
Perhaps all the people you played with are long gone.
Perhaps you have grown a little bit in some direction other than this arena.
Perhaps this is an addiction for you and, even though you scorn other addicts, it took you a while to realize you are one too, just a different drug makin' you happy.
Perhaps you are a well adjusted person and just know you can do something better with your time.

I do wonder where I fall in the scheme of fading away from this world.
I just think I have logged in for so long that not doing it seems so very wrong.
Perhaps sentimental. Holding onto and hoping for a return of feelings.

This is usually the spot where I backspace everything and close the browser... aka just writing to get things off my chest. I won't do that today.
Stay.