• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] should a legendary blacksmith keep mining?

• Thread starter imperterritus
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
I

imperterritus

My Blacksmith/Tailor picked up Mining so he could smelt efficiently while training. I already had a GM fighter/miner/lumberjack, to handle ore elementals and general resourcing. Once the blacksmith/tailor reaches 120 Blacksmithy, how useful would it be for him to keep the Mining?

That's the question. Why I'm asking is somewhat complicated, and you can stop reading if not interested. Four characters are involved -- the aforementioned two, plus an elf carpenter/bowyer/cook and a gargoyle mystic/mage/imbuer. If it turns out there is little reason for the blacksmith to keep mining, then I'd like to:

1) drop the Mining from blacksmith/tailor
2) transfer Cooking from the carpenter/bowyer/cook to the blacksmith/tailor
3) transfer Imbuing from the mystic/mage/imbuer to the carpenter/bowyer
4) build up Focus on the mystic/mage

The mystic/mage would gain mana and endurance recovery. The carpenter/bowyer would gain ability to craft soul forges, the one craftable his template doesn't currently allow. As an elf he won't get the Imbuing bonus the gargoyle had, but he could change to gargoyle.

I see a lot of pluses, assuming no real reason for a legendary blacksmith to keep Mining. Does anyone see any other gotchas to this chain of skill changes?

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only bonus that I know of that mining gives to a smith is that you get more ingots when smelting unwanted weapons/armor. and this is only helpful if you are making unwanted, plain items that you cannot unravel. I have a mule with Lj Mining and then a couple of smith/tailor/carpenters (one with Imbuing) with no mining and i don't notice any difference in their Smithing.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing to bear in mind, if you make anything from any metal other than iron you will not be able to re-cycle it.

I

imperterritus

falseprophet, thank you.

One thing to bear in mind, if you make anything from any metal other than iron you will not be able to re-cycle it.
Petra, I understand. In fact, Taylor Smythe (the blacksmith/tailor/potentialCook) took up Mining when he realized he couldn't even recycle plain iron objects efficiently. I had thought since the Smelt button was on the Blacksmith Gump, that it was a blacksmith ability.

Here's what I'd do if I was filling something like an exceptional verite chaos shield BOD (25% chance of success at legendary). I'd craft within a salvage bag until I made enough exceptional ones, and I'd then fill the BOD. Then I'd put the salvage bag in a chest and have my fighter/miner/non-blacksmith log in. He'd recycle the material, and I could switch back to Taylor Smythe if desired.

Is that a reasonable scenario?

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is a possible scenario to handle the smelting its how i do it anyway

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just transferred all my crafting skills (smith, tailor, carp, imbuing, fletcher, arms lore) to my gargoyle and didn't remember that skill tie. Thanks.

I'm thinking instead of +60 magery I will do +60 mining and put magery on jewelry and spellbook for recall. I would guess that only helps for lower material types though.

Too bad they tied the skills together in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make sence that a smith wouldn't be able to heat up an item and melt it back to an ingot, which is different than smelting. Smelting is taking all the junk out of the ore and making the ingot as opposed to melting it down to the same material type.

-Lorax

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too bad they tied the skills together in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make sence that a smith wouldn't be able to heat up an item and melt it back to an ingot, which is different than smelting.
-Lorax
Haha, I pointed this out years ago.

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
yeah its the exact opposite of making an item. I believe my smith can comprehend the concept considering he can make a magic sword and all

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny thing is, they threw lumberjacks a bone a while back allowing them to cut up logs without the carpentry skill. Previously it took both skills to harvest and cut up the logs.

Blacksmiths should be able to smelt weapons and armor.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Real world:

Smiths take pre-formed ingots and heat & beat them into shape. Only with metals of low melting points, did they ever deal with molten metal.

Mining effectively the refining skill as well.

Prior to 1700, nearly all smiths were also miners, out of necessity. By 1925, even most metalworkers no longer had mining OR Smithing skill, and few miners knew how to smith.

In-game:

Your return from Blacksmith recycling is 0.66% times your Mining skill, rounded down, +1 if using a salvage bag. You cannot recycle anything you can't mine.

While it's nice to have mining on a non-smith, for defensive purposes (PKs, ore elementals), it's a bad idea to NOT have mining on your smith, if you plan to do anything on a regular basis with him or her (and even top-end BODs will require you to use talismans and ASH to get to 100% exceptional on some plate items). About the only way I'd even think of goign without mining, is if you are going to craft EVERYTHING with runics, and unravel (not recycle) all your rejects.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's what I'd do if I was filling something like an exceptional verite chaos shield BOD (25% chance of success at legendary). I'd craft within a salvage bag until I made enough exceptional ones, and I'd then fill the BOD. Then I'd put the salvage bag in a chest and have my fighter/miner/non-blacksmith log in. He'd recycle the material, and I could switch back to Taylor Smythe if desired.

Is that a reasonable scenario?
Except that there are no chaos shield bods ... yes. A legendary Smith with a good smithing talisman (25% inc except chance, normal doesnt matter) and a +15 ash you can craft all bod relevant items with 100% chance exceptional. (On most items even a +10 ash is good enough).