• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ship Price Should be Raised

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think 50k for one of the new ships is ridiculously low. The content meant for these ships does not appear to be newbie friendly and is gear more towards high level play. You can earn 50k in 2 hours. An aquirium costs 4x more than a ship!

The price should be at least 500k. But I wouldn't mind seeing it being 1 million gold or more. The old ships are remaining in the game and can be gotten for as cheap as 8,000 gold for those who wish to go Fishing or sailing.

Also keep in mind that these ships cannot currently be lost or destroyed. If that were changed then I could see the price be lowered.

T

Tancred RedStar

Agree on ship price increase. Given all the time/effort/resources involved for outfitting and repairs, would make no sense for a poorly-funded player to drop a bunch of gold and then be overwhelmed by the provisioning and upkeep. Plus, with higher prices, might encourage grouping by guild/town/party to collectively maintain them.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I think less than 100k is fine more than that is to much unless its the whale and i think 1 mill for it !

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agree with a raising prices.

I think ship must be a luxury. Normal price for it 500k-2kk.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they can make a way so the boats are not lost, Then maybe 500k-1m each, But no more than that.

The trouble with them being 1m+ is, If they are lost easily, expect a lot of tears. :(

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
/signed

The higher the better. This is absolutely a source for a gold sink.

DO IT.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes raise the price on these high end ships.
It's supposed to be for a group, so let the group pitch in for the 1mil gp. If you're a solo player and you want to man 6 cannons, then go for it. I hope you make your 1 mil back by yourself.

Plus you get all that storage. That alone should cost you a pretty penny.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
make it 20 mill per ship please that way I for sure wont upgrade my accounts to just be able to fish ! my son has been checking it out and has played for 2 years and just told me he does not even have enough to get a ship so dont bother with his also !
by all means just make it so the wealthy can play

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my son has been checking it out and has played for 2 years and just told me he does not even have enough to get a ship so dont bother with his also !
by all means just make it so the wealthy can play
He has been playing for 2 years and can't afford a 50k ship?

Everything can't be free. Having stuff cost real gold makes it more fun. There is also the old ships which cost as little as 8k. The only thing you can't do with the old ships is fire cannons to take down pirate ships.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I was talking if they raise it to 1mill or more! and why pay 15 dollars in real world money for half of the booster and you need the booster for the storage on the ships dont you?

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ship price is decent as is, consider how many will be destroyed in combat, i found its almost cheaper to buy a ship then repair it

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
exactly thats the other thing they can be destroyed and or lost in various ways

V

Voodoo990

ship price is decent as is, consider how many will be destroyed in combat, i found its almost cheaper to buy a ship then repair it
Agree, the gold sink is going to be the saltpeter if the price stays as is. I figured it cost me about 20k per heavy shot.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
and if you need to get 5 people together to buy a ship and you want to battle another ship thats at least 10 people (just example) for 2 ships I would rather see 1 person on a ship and see 10 ships battling (again just a example)

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was talking if they raise it to 1mill or more! and why pay 15 dollars in real world money for half of the booster and you need the booster for the storage on the ships dont you?
You don't have to buy your own ship. It will be difficult to solo pirate ships, so you want to go as a group. You need at least 3 people on your ship to fire cannons and fight back.

Your are right about the older ships though. They should increase the hold size of the older ships to 2,000 or something.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the current ship prices are fair. There will be plenty of sinking and gold loss without the need to over price the ships.

Just my humble opinion.

U

UOKaiser

Most of the players in Uo are multi billionears and people are worrying for raise in price lol wow talk about not wanting to spend gold. Raise the price 1mil and up would be a good price. Give a reason for players not to leave gold behind on floors and the few poorer advanced players to pool there gold toghether. I don't mind if they made it 50mil per ship. There is really no gold sink in Uo that even makes a bump. Here is your chance to counteract some super inflation. Oh give it a different lower price on SIege the gold there is 1mil per 10mil in production. so 50 mil on production= 5mil in siege.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The new ships don't sink. The only way they can be lost is if you allow one to decay.
Yes I am aware of this... let me clarify, there will be plenty of damage and "almost" sinking to remove gold... making the boats cost 1 million + is not the way to encourage players to purchase the booster (sans storage increase).

To the mate that suggested we are all billionaires that is just plain silly. You and your crew may be, but I assure you we are all NOT billionaires or even hundred-millionaires.

Bottom line is there is no reason to raise prices because ships were never intended to be a gold sink (they would have started high if they had been). In fact the booster is meant to be a money sink and raising the prices as is being suggested is counterproductive to that goal.

Sure, make them 100k, fine, but multi-millions is not needed.

U

UOKaiser

Yes I am aware of this... let me clarify, there will be plenty of damage and "almost" sinking to remove gold... making the boats cost 1 million + is not the way to encourage players to purchase the booster (sans storage increase).

To the mate that suggested we are all billionaires that is just plain silly. You and your crew may be, but I assure you we are all NOT billionaires or even hundred-millionaires.

Bottom line is there is no reason to raise prices because ships were never intended to be a gold sink (they would have started high if they had been). In fact the booster is meant to be a money sink and raising the prices as is being suggested is counterproductive to that goal.

Sure, make them 100k, fine, but multi-millions is not needed.
100k is too low. Are you siege player or production? If production how long does it take you to get 100k? If you want to count how much you have don't look at gold only count how much is your house worth, your suits, your items, your decorations, the items in your bank. Even a player playing a begger can get over 10 mil by selling what they beg. I assure you if your on production and own nothing to your name and run around naked without a home then it will still be easy to generate a mil in a day with the knowledge of a advance player. Those that can't are not advance players in there knowledge and as it's being mentioned this expansion is mostly for advance players.

We need a gold sink this is there chance. 100k is not a gold sink people spend millions on making there imbued suit within minutes. 100k is nothing. to anybody. If people are that poor walk to any player and ask them for a mil gold they can get it easily. I only know begginers and returning vets that have that little gold and thats quickly remedied in a week. Even the new player starts of with what 50k now?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think 50k for one of the new ships is ridiculously low. [...] An aquirium costs 4x more than a ship!

The price should be at least 500k. But I wouldn't mind seeing it being 1 million gold or more.
I think less than 100k is fine more than that is to much unless its the whale and i think 1 mill for it !
I wouldn't go higher than 250k, but I think 100k would be pretty perfect. I honestly didn't think the Beta prices were set in stone, though -- although maybe they were. Can you imagine trying to buy a 1 million dollar boat for testing purposes? You'd run out of cash, haha. Sure, can just make new chars, but eh.

500k-1 mil is way too much, imo, if the booster is meant to attract returning players. Most of my friends who return to this game see the prices of in game items and just quit again. Let's say an old boat is 10k. Make the new three boats 100k, and if the whale ever comes up, 1 mil, just like Storm suggests. No one needs a whale, but everyone will want at least one of the new boats.

Also keep in mind the cost of the cannons, and the ammo, and everything else. Lots of people will end up buying those things from other people because it's annoying to make it all yourself.

ALTHOUGH!!! Higher prices would prevent the dock from getting crowded, early on. It's inevitable, though ... especially given there are billionaires out there. It would be interesting if EA would release the actual percentage of millionaires in UO hehe.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I expect to pay around 150k for my ship - playing on Siege. A large dragonship can cost over 100k there already.

U

UOKaiser

I expect to pay around 150k for my ship - playing on Siege. A large dragonship can cost over 100k there already.
Siege 150k is fine that = to 1.5 mil in production. So it should be 1.5 mil in production and 150k in siege.
Remmeber when talking about gold everyone must factor in exchange rate between siege-mugen and production shards in any topic we talk about. 150k in production is laughable while 1.5mil in siege is much difficult to achieve. The Dev should relise this and plan accordingly.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the new boats cost 1 mil flat I'd probably not even bother getting a new boat, and might not even get the booster, I don't know lol ... but then again I'm an old dog, I remember when 1 mil was a lot :/ ... like my 10k small boats lol

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
If the new boats cost 1 mil flat I'd probably not even bother getting a new boat, and might not even get the booster, I don't know lol ... but then again I'm an old dog, I remember when 1 mil was a lot :/ ... like my 10k small boats lol
yep me to! now if it was a house boat I would be in!

U

UOKaiser

Siege or production? I remmeber when 10k was alot in production about 13 years ago. Times changed.There is no way 1mil is alot in production for a advance player. just do 1 champ spawn and you already got enough for boats for everyone here. Not interested in champ spawns just head down to abyss and grab some imbuing ingredients and sell them to player. 1 hour of work should be enough for a couple of boats. It's way too easy.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1m is too much for such a boat, I'd pay around 250k. Even at that I wouldn't be too impressed.. :p

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege or production? I remmeber when 10k was alot in production about 13 years ago. Times changed.There is no way 1mil is alot in production for a advance player. just do 1 champ spawn and you already got enough for boats for everyone here. Not interested in champ spawns just head down to abyss and grab some imbuing ingredients and sell them to player. 1 hour of work should be enough for a couple of boats. It's way too easy.
hmm 1 champ spawn should get ya maybe 150k goldish from pile, maybe could sell scrolls for the mil :) but yeah i agree easy enough to get 1 mil prodo nowadays. just dont think new boats are worth 100x a 10k boat u know :p

but eh, house space, boats ... fish ... i guess ill probs get it all anyway, sigh ;D im an addict what can i say :)

U

UOKaiser

1m is too much for such a boat, I'd pay around 250k. Even at that I wouldn't be too impressed.. :p
250k too low thats not even enough for 2 POFs. And they little small things that get used up. While the boat might last you foever.

U

UOKaiser

hmm 1 champ spawn should get ya maybe 150k goldish from pile, maybe could sell scrolls for the mil :) but yeah i agree easy enough to get 1 mil prodo nowadays. just dont think new boats are worth 100x a 10k boat u know :p

but eh, house space, boats ... fish ... i guess ill probs get it all anyway, sigh ;D im an addict what can i say :)
The space is ok. Not much use for these days hough. I would jump on it if they added another character slot now that I can use.
I think because nobody needs to constantly buy boats the fee to get one should be high. If they want it a community event then the fee needs to be extremely high where guilds can pool toghether though because of our scarceness of players that wouldn't be realistic so just high price is good enough.

Gold needs to be use for something and gold sink needs to start being applied. Limiting gold gathering will not work as the gold is already out there exchanging hands. Not a single gold piece needs to be generated for another decade and we still be inflated. Which if you notice is what they started doing with SA mobs and on limiting gold they give. It will not work. And as more players leave gold gets condensed into smaller population.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing is, most of the gold that needs to be sunk seems to be concentrated over a very small proportion of the player base. So, you ramp up the boat price to get them to sink their gold and immediately put a lot of other folks into a position of either not being able to afford it, having to save up for AGES to buy it or having to pool resources with friends/guildies to get it.

Over the last three years, when I've been meeting up with new/returning players, (which I do rather a lot) one of the more common things I hear from them is 'but everything is so expensive, I'll NEVER be able to afford to buy that stuff.' As a general rule, we get them going and teach them how to make a decent living in game. But there's lots of them we don't see, especially with me not playing so much at the moment. If no one else helps them get started, then those are the players UO loses, because they just give up, things they want seeming to be so far out of their reach.

I don't pretend to know the answers to UO's inflation problems; I don't. Numbers make my head spin and I'm legendarily bad at them. But if you put this boat at over about half a mil, you're going to put a whole lot of folks off buying this expansion, and that can't be good.

U

UOKaiser

The thing is, most of the gold that needs to be sunk seems to be concentrated over a very small proportion of the player base. So, you ramp up the boat price to get them to sink their gold and immediately put a lot of other folks into a position of either not being able to afford it, having to save up for AGES to buy it or having to pool resources with friends/guildies to get it.

Over the last three years, when I've been meeting up with new/returning players, (which I do rather a lot) one of the more common things I hear from them is 'but everything is so expensive, I'll NEVER be able to afford to buy that stuff.' As a general rule, we get them going and teach them how to make a decent living in game. But there's lots of them we don't see, especially with me not playing so much at the moment. If no one else helps them get started, then those are the players UO loses, because they just give up, things they want seeming to be so far out of their reach.

I don't pretend to know the answers to UO's inflation problems; I don't. Numbers make my head spin and I'm legendarily bad at them. But if you put this boat at over about half a mil, you're going to put a whole lot of folks off buying this expansion, and that can't be good.
I really doubt it. New players are a bit too busy trying to kill there first mongbat to worry about this type of high end playing. Returning vets are stuck in the let me kill skeletons to get gold mode. Every advance player knows how to make gold. The gold is condensed into the vets and if they stop removing things that players can do to get the gold from the vets it be distrubuted better.

When a player knows enough he can easily sell leather to me or bones as i hate to buy them from the mystic venders. If he gathers resource he can sell to me and vets if he get imbuing ingredients,rares,pets,etc he can sell all of them to me and the vets so that our gold gets trickled down to them. Thats how it works. The gold still doesn't go anywhere though.

50k? thats ridiculous when new players are running around with multi-million dollar suits given to them free in there first day of UO life by others.

G

Gowron

I really doubt it. New players are a bit too busy trying to kill there first mongbat to worry about this type of high end playing. Returning vets are stuck in the let me kill skeletons to get gold mode. Every advance player knows how to make gold. The gold is condensed into the vets and if they stop removing things that players can do to get the gold from the vets it be distrubuted better.

When a player knows enough he can easily sell leather to me or bones as i hate to buy them from the mystic venders. If he gathers resource he can sell to me and vets if he get imbuing ingredients,rares,pets,etc he can sell all of them to me and the vets so that our gold gets trickled down to them. Thats how it works. The gold still doesn't go anywhere though.

50k? thats ridiculous when new players are running around with multi-million dollar suits given to them free in there first day of UO life by others.
50K gold is enough for a purchase. The gold sink lies in the maintenance, upkeep, and operation of the ship. So far, it seems like it's going to be mad crazy expensive to have PvP events on these things. Good times!

B

B_Barracuda

I think a ship price of around 100k would be suitable under the current circumstances. The prices on Beta are a little too low, but 500k or more are too high either. Not every player is a gold-farming billionaire.

I'd accept a price of 1 million if the ship would not decay. I don't understand anyway why those new ships decay in the first place. After all, you can only place one at a time.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
250k too low thats not even enough for 2 POFs. And they little small things that get used up. While the boat might last you foever.
I can't tell you how often I've lost a boat due to the 7 day decay rule and my memory.. :p

U

UOKaiser

I can't tell you how often I've lost a boat due to the 7 day decay rule and my memory.. :p
That happens to me all th time. Though losing the boat is not the problem is losing 125 ancient mib every time :(

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
150k is reasonable, I just bought mine. Plus some boat paints which are almost 7k each and only one use. A Rowboat for the same price. Now I need to buy lots of saltpeter and acquire some cannons which will be a constant gold sink. So I think it works!