• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shard Shields = End of PvP

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All pvp centers around the champion spawns and harrowers since powerscrolls are the only items of value you can get in fel and fel alone.

Free shard transfers will allow people to move to do champs on a dead shard at a dead time and move scrolls to the main shard at absolutely 0 cost. It's the equivalent of allowing people to get 120 scrolls in trammel. This is worse than scrollbinders, far worse.

In the past at least there was a cost for unsociable selfish behaviour.

It's bad enough that the champs can be activated 24/7 and you get sneaky unsavory characters doing champs while everyone else is at school etc.

Since scrolls will be valueless now, there's now no reward for winning at pvp therefore no one will bother pvping except for a hobby.

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But its only one transfer per month... Not exactly hopping back and forth every other day. Unless I mis read the original news.

I think you're just over-reacting :/

And threatening to close your account won't change anything. It is just a little childish.

Worse things have affected game ecomonies than this.

L

longshanks

this presently goes on without shields. I know of many players who farm dead shards. In some cases it is players that do not desire pvp but would like to experience all aspects of the game with the exception of non consensual pvp.

if you havent already noticed the value of powerscrolls has already been depressed.

i had to chuckle in regards to your concerns of people playing the game while your in school. if i was you i would just drop out so you can play uo cop 24/7 and help fight this injustice.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're forgetting something important - it's doubtful that most of the players who actively pvp have a 14 year old account to claim the shield transfers.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since scrolls will be valueless now, there's now no reward for winning at pvp therefore no one will bother pvping except for a hobby.
Not sure I follow this...

Is your issue that people who don't want to PvP will be able to go to 'deserted' shards and thus get a chance at the powerscrolls, as there's less or no competition? Or are you saying the PvPers will move about? Either way, the number of 14 year old accounts with people willing to do all that to get things they can probably buy on their home shard anyway is probably pretty tiny.

But isn't everything we do in an online game a 'hobby' anyway...?

W

Woodsman

It's bad enough that the champs can be activated 24/7 and you get sneaky unsavory characters doing champs while everyone else is at school etc.
Were you the person who was unhappy that people could do Champs when you weren't playing and you only wanted Champs to be active when you were around?

And I don't know if they taught you this in school, but North America alone covers like 4-5 different timezones which means that prime time for you might be when somebody else is in school or asleep. That's not even counting those outside of North America who play those shards for one reason or another or who work shifts that are outside of 9-5 or who go to night school.

I can't even believe you would argue that things should be centered around when you're in school, or rather not in school.
Like longshanks said, the PS market has been depressed for a long time. When I came back and decided to flesh out some characters, it was incredibly cheap to get the PSes. I was shocked at how much they had dropped in just a few years. Complaining about the PS market - that boat sailed a long time ago.

The problem with PS is that there simply aren't enough buyers.

Plus there aren't nearly as many 14 year accounts as you think - if there were, EA/BioWare management would not have allowed the shield tokens to be created, since it would detract from cross shard token sales.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Were you the person who was unhappy that people could do Champs when you weren't playing and you only wanted Champs to be active when you were around?

And I don't know if they taught you this in school, but North America alone covers like 4-5 different timezones which means that prime time for you might be when somebody else is in school or asleep. That's not even counting those outside of North America who play those shards for one reason or another or who work shifts that are outside of 9-5 or who go to night school.

I can't even believe you would argue that things should be centered around when you're in school, or rather not in school.
Like longshanks said, the PS market has been depressed for a long time. When I came back and decided to flesh out some characters, it was incredibly cheap to get the PSes. I was shocked at how much they had dropped in just a few years. Complaining about the PS market - that boat sailed a long time ago.

The problem with PS is that there simply aren't enough buyers.

Plus there aren't nearly as many 14 year accounts as you think - if there were, EA/BioWare management would not have allowed the shield tokens to be created, since it would detract from cross shard token sales.
PSs are already low priced because you can farm them 24/7 like i said, and because you can bind them now with scrollbinders, this vet reward is going to stack ontop of these 2 issues. You're just reinforcing my points. Thanks.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, as it now stands, these Shard Transfer Shields can only be claimed and can only be used by 14 years old accounts. The shields and the tokens they produce are non-transferable. In addition, it will require two shields and two tokens to transfer to another shard and back. Not exactly gonna see a rapid explosion of what you're talking about right away.

I see what you're saying, but most here obviously think you're overreacting. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see. I don't think there's that many 14 years old accounts that PvP or do champion spawns.

Anyways, almost everything in UO has decreased in value over the years. Face it, there's just less and less other players to sell stuff to now than ever before. I doubt we'll ever see real numbers but my thought is that Ultima Online continues to slowly but steadily decline in active players.

W

Woodsman

PSs are already low priced because you can farm them 24/7 like i said, and because you can bind them now with scrollbinders, this vet reward is going to stack ontop of these 2 issues. You're just reinforcing my points. Thanks.
Are you the person who wasn't happy that people could do Champs when you weren't online?

And PSes are going to be low regardless of whether they are farmed or not because there just aren't enough players.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get a job. People have been doing this for along time and even dead shards, like mine, are hardly farmed even from those who play those daily. It is the exception to find people farming and certainly not the rule these days.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This will really encourage pvp. If those players that don't want to pvp are not at the spawns that means whenever there is an active spawn instead of just quickly killing them and taking their champ and or items, your going to get a group that is ready and looking to fight. That should mean more fun and better longer fights. If anything these shard shields will save pvp!

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All pvp centers around the champion spawns and harrowers since powerscrolls are the only items of value you can get in fel and fel alone.

Free shard transfers will allow people to move to do champs on a dead shard at a dead time and move scrolls to the main shard at absolutely 0 cost. It's the equivalent of allowing people to get 120 scrolls in trammel. This is worse than scrollbinders, far worse.

In the past at least there was a cost for unsociable selfish behaviour.

Free shard xfers once a month is a huge plus for pvpers. This is not a bad thing. Most pvpers play almost every shard as it is, now they can xfer their mains around and not worry about having to find a token on a dead shard.

In regards to spawning.. no one is spawning for scrolls.. lol .. they havn't been spawning for scrolls since replicas came out. No one needs scrolls anymore and if they do it is very easy to make money to get them. Pardon's sell for more then most power scrolls do these days and it's not hard for someone to raise enough money to buy them without having to fight. People already xfer around to "farm dead shards". This is not new. All these tokens do is allow more pvp because people who can't afford to buy tokens every few weeks can try a shard out and not worry about how they will leave if it doesn't work out. I have several guys sitting on dead shards because I can't find any tokens and/or I don't have the means to move them.

You are correct that champ spawns "center" around pvp because it's the best area to fight in that has no guard zones. We often have people doing despise just for a fight.. it has nothing to do with scrolls and hasn't for years...it's for a fight. But most pvp these days is done at yew gate. If you are just looking for people to pk you missed that by a good 10 years because the only people who go to fel anymore are those who want to fight.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mountain out of molehill?

A 14 year old account can transfer one character to one shard per month. He can't go anywhere else unless he uses more than one vet pick, not even back to where he started.

No one but the claiming account can use them, nothing about them is transferable.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mountain out of molehill?

A 14 year old account can transfer one character to one shard per month. He can't go anywhere else unless he uses more than one vet pick, not even back to where he started.

No one but the claiming account can use them, nothing about them is transferable.
One vet reward on dead shard, one vet reward on live shard = restock of vendor for cheap PSs/replicas/sots every month, for free.

Maths is easy.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Unfortunatly not everyone has the powerscrolls OR the gold needed to GET the powerscrolls they need.

Just hop on over to Origin with one of your freebie transfers and take a look for yourself :)

I wanted to make a sampire...put music and disco on my tamer...even build a brand new character..know what that means? I need powerscrolls..know what else? NOONE sells them on Origin...which means I HAVE to do spawns to get what I need.

Right now if I wanted a char with 120 resists...I have ONE char scrolled to 120...Larisa. Right now she's at 183 murder counts. I sure as HECK am not spending 183 million gold to get the pardons I need to make her blue, meaning that I'd need ANOTHER 120 resist scroll to put on another character.

Where am I gonna get it? On Origin? that's right..Champ spawns.

So to say NOONE needs to do spawns for scrolls is incorrect..to say everyone does champs JUST for pvp is also incorrect.

I love the shields, once a month is NOT a big deal, they are not transferable so a select few will be doing it and I say bring it on lol, I think True PvP ended a long time ago anyway, now it's all about having the right imbued gear and to hell with what skills you have.

(Shameless plug for Siege)

I would bet my total UO worth that if you took a *leet* pvp'r...90% of them would suck on Siege...THERE you need skill not gear, THAT's where you seperate the boys from the men.

Of course this is all my opinion alone but I would gladly accept a challenge on my shard anyway, rather then see the same 3-4 ppl trash talking in general chat all day about how they own fel and how *leet* they are lol

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When i first saw this i looked to the sky because ive never like transfer tokens we all made money on our main shard why u cant make it on any of the other shards ive no idea and as for xsharding why? As far as i can tell its to remove rare items to other locations why ive no idea!

Im not sure it will have a detremental effect in anything. The farming allready goes on those that know can get transfers for peanuts so it will be nothing new. People are indeed farming if not for scrolls for replicas and even just for sots. Are you seriously telling me people have no interest in getting sots?

It does however raise the question of Why? Why add this item? it dosnt really make sense. If youve been playing this game 14 years and only have 1 main shard uve clearly never had the desire to move so why would they now?

Ive allways thought a good way to give people something back is the vet rewards themselves. Why not treat them as milestones so 1 a year then a bonus at the milestone. 5 year 2 bonus points 10 year 3 bonus etc etc.

Saves adding things like this which is just needless and infact why not just add the damn transfer token in the vet reward option 10 year+

cheers! xx

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you the person who wasn't happy that people could do Champs when you weren't online?
He is the one. This complaint is just as obtuse as that one. This is not a problem.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Probably will not change anything so wery few 14 year old vets and alot of them have all the scrolls and money they ever could need

If u realy want more pvp ers dropp the bad boy act and start reaching out to trammies

Ironic the one u love to make fun of and grief is also the only one that can make pvp grand again and yet u keep complaining about pvp being dead

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PvP at champ spawns? Really? Its more like ganking when champ is nearly up against non-PvP characters (spawn templates).

PvP should be done in the new arena's.

Either way I'll still keep pulling over boatfuls of scrolls from dead shards to flood the market on major US shards. I enjoy completing spawns especially solo and don't enjoy PvP so it works great for me.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread is hilarious. What it really sounds like is that the OP isn't old enough to get the shield transfer and is scared that people will leave his shard to farm elsewhere. This won't kill pvp, it just might bring more pvp to another shard. People will still pvp regardless and obtaining this reward won't stop them from doing it.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh,
That was the laugh of the day.
To OP, look up 2 words.
Word 1. PVP
Word 2. PK

Raiding a spawn 8 people vs 3 spawners aren't exacly pvp, but nice try.

K

Kim Li of LS

One vet reward on dead shard, one vet reward on live shard = restock of vendor for cheap PSs/replicas/sots every month, for free.

Maths is easy.
Free? I seems to recall it taking hours to farm up anything decent in the way of PSs or anything at all of replicas, and most pinks are junk......so yeah, free if you don't count:

time invested
consumables
repairs/eqp damage
using up 2 14th year vet rewards

Ricsreturn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Unfortunatly not everyone has the powerscrolls OR the gold needed to GET the powerscrolls they need.

Just hop on over to Origin with one of your freebie transfers and take a look for yourself :)

I wanted to make a sampire...put music and disco on my tamer...even build a brand new character..know what that means? I need powerscrolls..know what else? NOONE sells them on Origin...which means I HAVE to do spawns to get what I need.

Right now if I wanted a char with 120 resists...I have ONE char scrolled to 120...Larisa. Right now she's at 183 murder counts. I sure as HECK am not spending 183 million gold to get the pardons I need to make her blue, meaning that I'd need ANOTHER 120 resist scroll to put on another character.

Where am I gonna get it? On Origin? that's right..Champ spawns.

So to say NOONE needs to do spawns for scrolls is incorrect..to say everyone does champs JUST for pvp is also incorrect.

I love the shields, once a month is NOT a big deal, they are not transferable so a select few will be doing it and I say bring it on lol, I think True PvP ended a long time ago anyway, now it's all about having the right imbued gear and to hell with what skills you have.

(Shameless plug for Siege)

I would bet my total UO worth that if you took a *leet* pvp'r...90% of them would suck on Siege...THERE you need skill not gear, THAT's where you seperate the boys from the men.

Of course this is all my opinion alone but I would gladly accept a challenge on my shard anyway, rather then see the same 3-4 ppl trash talking in general chat all day about how they own fel and how *leet* they are lol

this is funny cause I remember when Origin opened transfers up for the first time when BTH pretty much controled the champs spawns and one of those who would be farming despise on her tamer along with her necro peacing buddy and maybe a stealth archer for back up. We all had so many scolls using them to decorate. But with transfers came groups of pvpers to come and "farm" origin just when things were becoming dull same ol farming spawns no one to come challange. It spiced things up for awhile it was great.

Giving them as a vet reward I don't feel was a good idea. They should of sold them and use the profits to pay for better costumer service.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best vet reward to date. I'll be using 3 or 4 of my picks on them.
Finally a reward for the player who has stuck with UO over the long haul.

There arent many of these accounts left because most everyone who had old accounts got them banned over the yrs for cheating, duping, hacking, etc,... Pretty awesome vet reward for honest players that have proven such over years. Yes, I'm sure there are some who cheated, hacked, duped, etc,... and still have these old accounts. I know some account brokers (who are notorious dupers/cheaters that post on this very website) buy and keep these old accounts for themselves but I would argue this is the exception not the rule.

Xsharding to farm dead shards started the 1st week xfer tokens came out. Moot point. Fact is u cant transfer with packy animals & u have to be unmounted (so no beetle fulla crap). This is mainly a vet reward for those who have unwaiveringly paid their bills for longer then many UO players have been alive (possibly the OP included).

These shields are probably whats going to bring me back to UO after quitting for the last 6 months. Ive quit this game many times over 14yrs but never once has my account gone inactive. Ive alway paid for this game even when I never logged on for 18 months.
Its pretty damn sweet that my blatant stupidity is finally paying off. Haters hate :)

THANKS MESANNA !

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one shall not use mine to transfer to a dead shard for farming's sake.
I already inhabit a dead shard as my main home :)

I am however very much looking forward to being able to visit my dear old drach shard a couple times a year with my main char for nostalgic purposes. I haven't been back there since 2002.

I agree with Acid Rain. This is really the first reward that is worth it to those who have endured the test of time :)

T

Tazar

I can't believe no one has said this:

Mervyn - Come to Siege! (Problem Solved) :devil:

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hold on now, my understanding was that the shard shields need to be locked down in a house you own to use. Which means unless your account owns a house on 2seperate shards (now impossible) it's a 1 way trip.

Do they not work that way? Or can you use it from your backpack or something?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They have to be locked down in a house. You can be a friend or a co-owner. You don't have to be the owner.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Well, for as long as transfer tokens have been available, people have moved between shards for whatever reason Powerscroll farming obviously being one of them, and shard shields just remove the money (either in game gold or directly purchasing one from EA/Mythic/Origin/Whoever) aspect of it. Some people just don't like pvp or probably don't like the crap talk the majority smatter in general chat about "You have no skill..." wait " YOU HAVE NO SKILL AND SHOULD STAY IN TRAM, TRAMMIE -insert whatever expletives seem native to your shard and various degrading insults, also all in caps and hit control q and enter repeatedly for about an hour and so and so forth". Honestly I love doing a champ spawn and having that intense feeling that OMG we're gonna get raided and having to follow my gut instinct.. oh I got a few pinks, maybe I should hit the exit route and put these babies up and come back.. etc. But I don't think Shard Shields will end pvp by any means, it'll always exist in some nature just like UO will always exist in some form hehe.

Q

Quilnn

Well just imagine a couple years into the future, the richest people will be able to stock these vet rewards which will enable them to jump shard to shard easily. I don't think the developers should have put this vet reward up, because mainly, it will increasingly destroy each shards economy and flatline the prices, making it harder for anyone to make a profit, while severing specific bonds each player has made to their community.

For example, an EM-run event, hosted on a specific shard where goodies and rares will be handed out. Can you imagine the amount of players cross-sharding just to collect an EM-given rare? The amount could be disastrous that we may experience server overload on a single shard. But this is my 2 cents. Maybe if they made EM-event rares "restricted" to cross-sharding?

Just think towards the future, in a couple years, this reward will be available to almost every veteran player, and will increasingly become available to other people. I have a reason to believe this may severely hurt UO because everyone has a certain tendency "to get in on it" and it will become tougher to make a profit.

It really makes this quote ring true...

"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly." --Thoreau

L

longshanks

i dont know about that.

most pvp'rs have fully buffed characters on most of the inhabited shards as well as some of the least inhabited.

my 2 nickels.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Originally posted by Quilnn
....it will increasingly destroy each shards economy ...
...could be disastrous that we may experience server overload on a single shard.
I have a reason to believe this may severely hurt UO...
The Sky is falling Chicken Little ! The Sky Is FaLLinG ! :p
LOLOL
Currently theres a rather small base of players that xshard constantly to farm EM items then bring them all back to Atlantic for grossly high resale. Its a rather lucrative and quite profitable business. Folks have been doing this for years, long before Shard Shields were even a thought. I agree with some of what ur saying but ur logic baffles me.

You say twice about Shard Shields
...making it harder for anyone to make a profit...
...it will become tougher to make a profit...
Since Atlantic is the most expensive shard & where anyone engaged in this activity is likely to bring these goods for resale, I dont see this affecting any other shards. The only profit "tougher to be made" would be in having price wars w/ these xsharding persons, who were actively xsharding before Shard Shields were around. I see nothing wrong with bid wars on grossly overpriced event items.

Originally posted by Qiulnn
Maybe if they made EM-event rares "restricted" to cross-sharding?
* * *B I N G O* * * On this I couldnt agree more, BUT....
considering that this wasnt done in the 1st place and seeing just how many players that use these forums make irl money selling said items, I dont see this ever happening. If this was even a suggested possibility youd see several hundred flame posts within hours.
Granted, alot would be the same persons under different accounts/names/ip addys but the sheer number of posts would still be staggering.
Just think towards the future, in a couple years, this reward will be available to almost every veteran player, and will increasingly become available to other people.
Almost every veteran player does NOT have 14yr old accounts & will not in a couple years, guarenteed. Isnt the entire point of Vet rewards that they will eventually become available to players IF they put in the time ? Some of ur logic just baffles me broham, sorry.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly." --Thoreau
Lastly, your quote of H.D. Thoreau is a nice touch and well said. How you can use that quote just lines under ur argument of how Shard Shields will hurt the ability to turn a profit from selling the very same possessions Thoreau speaks of ???
Baffled man... Ur saying its our preoccupation w/ possessions & we shouldnt be doing this yet ur posting that your against Shard Shields because they will prevent us from doing this? :eek: