• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shameless Plug for SkyRim..

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been playing it for about a week now...

How can anyone say that Ultima done with this engine wouldn't bring back a large amount of players?

History has shown that them that don't adapt to the times fall by the wayside..

Sorry folks.. I guess I dream big sometimes..

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

How can anyone say that Ultima done with this engine wouldn't bring back a large amount of players?

I would love it if UO had this engine. However it is indeed a big dream to hope we could have a UO game with graphics like that but it never hurts to imagine it :)

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to see that also. As long as EA/Mythic took their time and released it with little to no bugs. I haven't played it,but I have seen vids on the various bugs and glitches in the game.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, there are some bugs in Skyrim. Fortunately I haven't encountered many bad ones and they are going about fixes with each patch.

On a similar note for the OP though, some modders are actually working on a multiplayer mod for Skyrim right now. Hoping when they release the construction kit it will make even more progress.

http://skyrim-online.com/

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well I think there would be a stout technical barrier to making an mmo with skyrim level of graphics/systems.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well after 60 hrs on skyrim i hit a brick wall, enemy AI shockingly crud in it, set an enemy on fire and he still tries to kill you, the better you get the harder they are and it looks more disappointing, dunno about you but i work around fire, and its hot and it burns, and as in the game it kills yet they carry on as if nothing is wrong sadly not played for 4 weeks dont think i will go back

BUT i did take over 200 screenies as i was venturing around!

then i got back into UO nuff said

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well after 60 hrs on skyrim i hit a brick wall, enemy AI shockingly crud in it, set an enemy on fire and he still tries to kill you, the better you get the harder they are and it looks more disappointing, dunno about you but i work around fire, and its hot and it burns, and as in the game it kills yet they carry on as if nothing is wrong sadly not played for 4 weeks dont think i will go back

BUT i did take over 200 screenies as i was venturing around!

then i got back into UO nuff said
personally I think that oblivion was better than skyrim... skyrim has cheap quests, and the rest is always the same...
Also the interface sucks and is much more complicated than UO, if you don't read the manual you have to push all the buttons to understand how to do the basics things.
Another problem is the visual style... skyrim is designed to be played in first person. If you switch in third person you have a lot of problems like the target cross misplaced that mess up the whole gameplay...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
personally I think that oblivion was better than skyrim... skyrim has cheap quests, and the rest is always the same...
Also the interface sucks and is much more complicated than UO, if you don't read the manual you have to push all the buttons to understand how to do the basics things.
Another problem is the visual style... skyrim is designed to be played in first person. If you switch in third person you have a lot of problems like the target cross misplaced that mess up the whole gameplay...
I think Skyrim has a much much better feel Oblivion, and there are many things they did right in Skyrim they did wrong in Oblivion. Dungeons are better and less repetitive and bland, voice acting is better, I think the skill system is improved, the world has cooler places and creatures, better leveled lists for items and creatures (way better).

On the other hand there are some serious nearly game ruining problems for me. Two huge things: AI is beyond horrible. Someone attacking you? Cross a body of water. They wont follow you if it requires any swimming, so you can just cross a small pond to an island, and shoot arrows or spells all day long, they wont come after you. They may run away but... Or, sneak attack a guy in a fort with an arrow and kill him in one shot, he falls dead at the feet of his comrades. Do they go out and look for his killer or take cover? Nope. They just stand there as if nothing had happened. Foes often run away from you, stand for a second, then run back at you for no reason. Foes often stand there not attacking... on and on.

Secondly stealing is broken. Its so easy you have to go out of your way to GET caught. In oblivion peeps would follow you around the house so you couldn't steal thier things, and if you broke in at night it was quite easy to wake people up and have the guards called on you. Not so in skyrim. I've only had the guards called on me ONCE. And that was after I had ransacked a jarls private quarters which were unguarded.

Interface is horrible I agree. Oblivion was way better. As for quests there are soooo many fetch quests. Every other person wants me to deliver something or find them flawless garnets. The larger quests are fine and enjoyable though I think.

Also no spell maker?! Heresy!

Overall I still think vanilla skyrim is a far more enjoyable experience than vanilla Oblivion. Can't really compare it modded up yet, but Oblivion had some amazing game balance overhaul modes that converted the vanilla game (which I hated) into an amazing experience. I'm sure skyrim will get similar big mods like that.

Im on like level 32, 60ish hours in, and while the luster has defiantly worn off I'm still enjoying it, and having urges to keep trekking around.

/rambling

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Skyrim has a much much better feel Oblivion, and there are many things they did right in Skyrim they did wrong in Oblivion. Dungeons are better and less repetitive and bland, voice acting is better, I think the skill system is improved, the world has cooler places and creatures, better leveled lists for items and creatures (way better).

On the other hand there are some serious nearly game ruining problems for me. Two huge things: AI is beyond horrible. Someone attacking you? Cross a body of water. They wont follow you if it requires any swimming, so you can just cross a small pond to an island, and shoot arrows or spells all day long, they wont come after you. They may run away but... Or, sneak attack a guy in a fort with an arrow and kill him in one shot, he falls dead at the feet of his comrades. Do they go out and look for his killer or take cover? Nope. They just stand there as if nothing had happened. Foes often run away from you, stand for a second, then run back at you for no reason. Foes often stand there not attacking... on and on.

Secondly stealing is broken. Its so easy you have to go out of your way to GET caught. In oblivion peeps would follow you around the house so you couldn't steal thier things, and if you broke in at night it was quite easy to wake people up and have the guards called on you. Not so in skyrim. I've only had the guards called on me ONCE. And that was after I had ransacked a jarls private quarters which were unguarded.

Interface is horrible I agree. Oblivion was way better. As for quests there are soooo many fetch quests. Every other person wants me to deliver something or find them flawless garnets. The larger quests are fine and enjoyable though I think.

Also no spell maker?! Heresy!

Overall I still think vanilla skyrim is a far more enjoyable experience than vanilla Oblivion. Can't really compare it modded up yet, but Oblivion had some amazing game balance overhaul modes that converted the vanilla game (which I hated) into an amazing experience. I'm sure skyrim will get similar big mods like that.

Im on like level 32, 60ish hours in, and while the luster has defiantly worn off I'm still enjoying it, and having urges to keep trekking around.

/rambling
I hate also that there is no more the acrobat skill, in oblivion with it at 100 you could jump insanely high :D
Also I hate all those mountains... you spend 50% of time trying to climb one of those stupid mountains that are everywhere!!!

The mages are too overpowered... bring destruction to 100, makes the right equip and you will be able to spam super lightning for free and incenerate everyone and everything with 2-3 shots top... the war questline also can be finished in 1 hour with a mage, just go into the middle of the enemy fort and incenerate everyone without moving and report back :D

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would quit playing UO if they made it look anything like Skyrim.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can put baskets over the heads of shop keepers and steal from them right there. they are idiots

i have been playing swtor and it makes me think that you could have this engine as a 3rd option of playing the game. cc ec and full 3d view all working together at the same time.

no reason why you cant use all 3 together.

lorddog

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skyrim mods are best mods.
[YOUTUBE]Bifmj1O3D24[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]WCP9Jn2Q0cQ[/YOUTUBE]

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That is epic. XD

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HA! I love this one.....

[youtube]pboePwt8qOw&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

I could see Cirno on the giant My Little Pony mod.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's the sort of thing you can look forward to:
[YOUTUBE]04m_N3WZH0w[/YOUTUBE]
If it happened to Oblivion, it's only a matter of time.

K

kamugi

Ha, you're nuts, but it's awesome in it's own way come on now.

You should love this.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-leYc4oC83E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-leYc4oC83E?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor