• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shadowlords and Blackthorn. *Big spoilers*

D

Deano

Second warning for spoilers for Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny.

For those who have played Ultima V, you will hopefully remember the corruption that Blackthorn suffered via the Shadowlords. Twisting a good person to (appear) evil.

While the Britannia of UO doesn't take the same path as Britannia proper, there will be a big gap with the Shadowlords since Blackthorn was slain before the current storyline.

Are they corrupting someone else? Are they going to drop the whole puppet master act this time around?

Maybe this is time for a nice twist. Have someone virtuous such as Lord British or Dawn return with a twisted sense of virtue (at the hands of the Shadowlords). Leaving the players to decide whether they should follow or presetn the pure meaning of the virtues. Much as Lord British tried to encourage in the Ultima series through one character (the Avatar).

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I still have ultima v and all that came with it including the cloth world map :) i am kinda wondering if this is going to lead into SA ?

E

Emil IsTemp

I just hope if they re-build Mag, it looks better than Nu-Haven...

Hell, replace it brick for brick

T

Trebr Drab

Remember that UO replaces the Avatar with us, the players. So if there's a corruption involved here, it's possible that we players are the targets. And this Andrew thing and factions seems to lead to this idea.

G

galefan2004

Offer me shinies for my "soul" and you can corrupt me all you wish.

G

Garaba

Ah yes

In theory we are somewhere between Ultima IV and Ultima V

Our world begins in a fragment of the jewel of the Gem of immortality at the end of Ultima I. However time continues but not in the same way. The creation of the facets caused events to happen differently then they should.

Minax had a whole facet to conquer and use as a point of attack to Feluca. Her power is enough to where she can not be defeated only sealed away from entering other facets. In our current time line minax is reported to have "gone beyond the veil" by the enslaved daemon.

Exodus also existed in our world, however he also hid in the facets. His base was in ilshenar and his direct involvement changed our history drastically. His manipulations of the place brought us the unknown races of the juka and the meer. Causing yew to be destroyed. Also Blackthorn was killed much sooner then he should of been. From ilshenar also came the FoA.

And ultima IV featured the quest for the virtues, to give the people of sosaria a spiritual leader of sorts. Since we have no avatar and at this point no king, this never came to pass.

Now we are at the beginning of Ultima V. The Shadowlords have slowly corrupted everything around them. Old enemies have never been defeated. The power of the virtues never shown to a people. A king who has left the world. And missing items related to there origin and destruction.

R

RenaLynne

How is this a big spoiler? Anyone could have guessed all this from the implications made by the storyline...

D

Deano

How is this a big spoiler? Anyone could have guessed all this from the implications made by the storyline...

Aren't people reading the post entirely?

I already said it's a spoiler for ULTIMA V, not Ultima Online.

In Ultima V one of the central points of the story is how someone (who was not originally evil) was made so due to the corruption of 3 shadowlords. Blackthorn was misunderstood. His intentions were good but his methods were not.

F

Fayled Dhreams

:D "Spoilers" are "end of story/outcomes" BEFORE the book movie tale ... is finished playing out ...
ie. spoils the "surprise"

Spoilers are NOT coming here and telling us its a "trained hound", targeted by scent, doing the killing in Hounds of Baskerville ...

this is just a reveiw of history ... of ULTIMA V ... *double shoulder shrug*

Now ... if you had the coord's for the current position of Sutek ... or the order to collect, by glass dagger, purple turtle blood and heart of a Blue Daemon ... without shattering the dagger ... needed later ...
^^ Now THAT ... would be a spoiler ...

O'well

D

Deano

:D "Spoilers" are "end of story/outcomes" BEFORE the book movie tale ... is finished playing out ...
ie. spoils the "surprise"

Spoilers are NOT coming here and telling us its a "trained hound", targeted by scent, doing the killing in Hounds of Baskerville ...

this is just a reveiw of history ... of ULTIMA V ... *double shoulder shrug*

Now ... if you had the coord's for the current position of Sutek ... or the order to collect, by glass dagger, purple turtle blood and heart of a Blue Daemon ... without shattering the dagger ... needed later ...
^^ Now THAT ... would be a spoiler ...

O'well

Telling people that the Shadowlords corrupted Lord Blackthorn and everything around them in Ultima V, thus leading to Blackthorn's own incarnation of the virtues (As I said in my original post) IS a spoiler. Because you don't know this till well into the game!

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Telling people that the Shadowlords corrupted Lord Blackthorn and everything around them in Ultima V, thus leading to Blackthorn's own incarnation of the virtues (As I said in my original post) IS a spoiler. Because you don't know this till well into the game!
Uh?
In Ultima V, the jester in Empath Abbey told you that the Shadowlords were responsible for Blackthorn's evil deeds 10 minutes into the game.
Not really a secret...
Old RPGs were not famous for their mysterious plotlines - not even Ultima!

D

Deano

Uh?
In Ultima V, the jester in Empath Abbey told you that the Shadowlords were responsible for Blackthorn's evil deeds 10 minutes into the game.
Not really a secret...
Old RPGs were not famous for their mysterious plotlines - not even Ultima!

Doesn't matter though, I'm sure people don't appreciate having the story told for them by other people? Especially when you don't have to go to Empath Abbey right away. You can progress at your own direction.

10 minutes into other games a main character from past games can die, that's not fair for them to have that suprise spoilt.

L

Loquacious Wrath

When I played Ultima V, I can't remember how I figured out to cast Blink while in the underworld in order to reach certain areas.

G

galefan2004

The funny thing is that I LOVED many old rpgs. I still love a lot of them. I was a huge fan of Final Fantasy (especially FF2 US) and I loved Shining Force. However, I was simply never a big fan of the Ultima series, so I never actually played the majority of them.

C

Corwin

Virtues?

Virtues?

How can the Shadowlords corrupt something that we really don't have? We only have five virtues. Devs never came us the other three. I know we have eight shrines. I know we have seven anti-virtue dungeons. But we, as players or characters, can only develop five virtues in ourselves. I know it's only been seven or eight years since they started the virtues, so maybe this plotline will finally finish them. But we only have five virtues.

L

Lord Kynd

speculation isnt a spoiler........

right
how can you compare a old old old game to whats going to happen ?
i know EA is kinda backwards at times, but to use old old old stuff to make a game newer ? umm alrighty, whatever...