• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shadow Priests; Have They Gone?

Littlepie

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I've played my priest on and off since WOTLK now and yet I still seem to be getting into the same old habit of after a few BGs as Shadow; It's just so much easier to play as Disco instead.

Shadow has weak off healing for a hybrid and really only has 2 CDs (A massive DR at the loss of casting and a healing dependent on how much single target damage is going out).

Has anyone else seen a decline on one of the most exciting specs in the game?

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
The spec in general is just ridiculously weak. Not only in PvP.
There is only so far a damaging spec can go without a real interrupt or damage on the move.

In PvE, their ability to multidot makes them too strong historically, so they had to be balanced around that.
Blizzard has said multiple times that they are weak single target on purpose to balance around their multidot, and when pretty much all the fights in the raid are single target nuke with light aoe or dramatic switches, shadow priests just seem unplayable.

In PvP, the battle fatigue increases continue to make them even worse. Any offspec heals just do nothing as it is, but since they also have low single target and burst, they are quite difficult to justify having in a small group composition. Especially considering discipline can do a good fraction of the same damage with all the other "utility" still present.

Jordan Thyme

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Timeless Isle for a Shadow Priest is a pain in the tuckus. The Death Adder's alone seem to take you down unless you have max gear and even then.. it's a little iffy. The only time I really see them now, is in Scenarios or occasionally riding through a town.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shadow priest used to be ridiculously OP when the level cap was raised to 90. There would be many an 85 in battle gear creaming an 89 or weak geared 90 even. It took some time for them to balance it out as well. Every class comes and goes, adaptation is the key!