• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shadow Fiend Resists

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is what they look like.

upload_2018-11-10_15-54-39.png

So you would think ebolt and fire would kill them fast.

I paid attention today because I have noticed spells not doing much damage to them.

with 120 magery and Eval. 98% SDI

Ebolt does 12 damage. Flamestrike does 12 damage. Fireball does 5 damage. Meteor Swarm does 11 each to 2 of them. Earthquake does 10. Each tick of poison field does 7.

That does not seem to match their resistance.

upload_2018-11-10_15-59-12.png

Any explanation?

@Khyro

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I still want to know how some dexxers can stand in the middle of a swarm of them, while my tamer can have ONE spawn next to me and get hit by FIVE or more ranged/AOE attacks from it and fall over dead a half-second later before I can take a single step.

As for its damage, what's it's Resist Spells skill at?

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Here is what they look like.

View attachment 89472

So you would think ebolt and fire would kill them fast.

I paid attention today because I have noticed spells not doing much damage to them.

with 120 magery and Eval. 98% SDI

Ebolt does 12 damage. Flamestrike does 12 damage. Fireball does 5 damage. Meteor Swarm does 11 each to 2 of them. Earthquake does 10. Each tick of poison field does 7.

That does not seem to match their resistance.

View attachment 89473

Any explanation?

@Khyro
Shadow Fiends have some innate property to them. The further away you are, the more your damage is reduced. So fighting them at 1-tile allows you to do proper damage to them.

Their AoE attack also has a cooldown on it. As a Dexxer, if you run in and pull a few, then run out after they do their initial burst, you can run back in and usually get several seconds where they won't AoE again. Dexxers also rely on Hit Life Leech/Hit Life Drain to sustain, so as long as your Whirlwind can hit several mobs, you should be able to sustain against them (as long as you survive the initial burst). Where I sometimes run into issues on my Sampire is when my targeting gets all wonky, or my character position is out of sync, so I am not swinging at things I should be and can't leech any life.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sampire is when my targeting gets all wonky, or my character position is out of sync, so I am not swinging at things I should be and can't leech any life.
Please go post a detailed bug report for that. I leave when they pop because I have no room for not swinging. We are discussing it in UHall also.

some innate property to them
So those do exist...
The further away you are, the more your damage is reduced. So fighting them at 1-tile allows you to do proper damage to them.
Thanks. Ill try that.

while my tamer can have ONE spawn next to me and get hit by FIVE or more ranged/AOE attacks from it and fall over dead a half-second later before I can take a single step.
They save that AoE attack until a group of them chasing a melee toon, goes by some poor tamer trying to Ebolt an ambusher and then they use it!
High resist. 120 at least. One skill is at 240. But they stay poisoned in a field and spell.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Please go post a detailed bug report for that. I leave when they pop because I have no room for not swinging. We are discussing it in UHall also.
Just take your tamer! my pet mows down groups of them with rather ease~

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just take your tamer! my pet mows down groups of them with rather ease~
I do as soon as they pop. But someone needs to take a melee toon. With a group there I can get a mask 80% of the time now. I bless and heal the melee toons and run GoL on one. Keep pet on him. Use only a few fire spells then blast WoD at the end. I love the extra heal and bless for 120 skill.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I do as soon as they pop. But someone needs to take a melee toon. With a group there I can get a mask 80% of the time now. I bless and heal the melee toons and run GoL on one. Keep pet on him. Use only a few fire spells then blast WoD at the end. I love the extra heal and bless for 120 skill.
Why does someone need to take a melee toon?

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They save that AoE attack until a group of them chasing a melee toon, goes by some poor tamer trying to Ebolt an ambusher and then they use it!
High resist. 120 at least. One skill is at 240. But they stay poisoned in a field and spell.
I switched around skills to fit resist spells on my tamer for Khaldun. You get the message you "resist the spell" or something like that when the shadow fiends come by you.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why does someone need to take a melee toon?
There are players there all the time I am on. Some players come out of hiding and only play Sept - January and they dont use chat so they never hear us talk about tamers.
They play what they have I guess. And some of them are generic sampires and do no damage to half the skeletons but they keep trying.

It is common to have 2 to 3 players smacking on Khal each round. Lots of healing points for me.

A melee toon with Chiv and a WW weapon can kill the things in the first two rounds a lot faster than a Tamer. Iv'e only seen 2 others on LS that actually use Consecrate. Which or your pets does energy and poison then fire and cold? Then can do damage to each Mob in any size crowd on each swing.

And it seems the General round is scaled to the number of players there. I was with a sampire today and we did the whole thing. He did about the same damage as my pet. I thought it would take forever to get to Khal. He came out really soon and there were only 3 to 5 of his generals until he went red.
First time I've been with less than 5 players there.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There are players there all the time I am on. Some players come out of hiding and only play Sept - January and they dont use chat so they never hear us talk about tamers.

And it seems the General round is scaled to the number of players there. I was with a sampire today and we did the whole thing. He did about the same damage as my pet. I thought it would take forever to get to Khal. He came out really soon and there were only 3 to 5 of his generals until he went red.
First time I've been with less than 5 players there.
Still trying to find out why you said someone needs to take a melee toon. Sure they can be there, but it's not needed.

General round is not scaled. Done this numerous times with just Khyro and myself, fel and trammel. *shrugs* Also done with 3-7. We generally don't do it with over 6 people, don't like taking costumes from other players.

And sounds like LS needs a better welcoming committee.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shadow Fiends have some innate property to them. The further away you are, the more your damage is reduced. So fighting them at 1-tile allows you to do proper damage to them.

Their AoE attack also has a cooldown on it. As a Dexxer, if you run in and pull a few, then run out after they do their initial burst, you can run back in and usually get several seconds where they won't AoE again. Dexxers also rely on Hit Life Leech/Hit Life Drain to sustain, so as long as your Whirlwind can hit several mobs, you should be able to sustain against them (as long as you survive the initial burst). Where I sometimes run into issues on my Sampire is when my targeting gets all wonky, or my character position is out of sync, so I am not swinging at things I should be and can't leech any life.
What's your resisting spells

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still trying to find out why you said someone needs to take a melee toon. Sure they can be there, but it's not needed.
Oh that part. Some players need to be Melee toons for me to get points healing them to get more points than my spells and my Dog. Makes me go from 50% mask to >80%.

And sounds like LS needs a better welcoming committee.
If you are new to LS and Allen does not call you a NOOB then something is wrong. I make a horrible welcoming committee. I yell something like this in Chat, "NOOB at Luna stables! Why do they always have to be naked?" Hopefully someone friendly checks on them. We miss Don.

That General stage went very fast I know we were not a mass killing duo.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh that part. Some players need to be Melee toons for me to get points healing them to get more points than my spells and my Dog. Makes me go from 50% mask to >80%.

If you are new to LS and Allen does not call you a NOOB then something is wrong. I make a horrible welcoming committee. I yell something like this in Chat, "NOOB at Luna stables! Why do they always have to be naked?" Hopefully someone friendly checks on them. We miss Don.

That General stage went very fast I know we were not a mass killing duo.
I'm hurt. You haven't called me a noob yet and you've been in Khaldun multiple times with me lol. I expected to see you there more. Maybe we don't play the same times.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I'm hurt. You haven't called me a noob yet and you've been in Khaldun multiple times with me lol. I expected to see you there more. Maybe we don't play the same times.
Well I been playing this game for years and Im still a NOOB! So much for hat theory..lol