• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Serious Questions

I

imported_Spaghetti Legs

<font color="red">General Warning</font> to stick to the Topic at hand which is:

This is regarding the devs bringing web features into the game and will be bringing more into the game.
Do you really want them?
Do you see yourself really using them when you play or it just be another feature of the game that sits idle because you have no need in using it?
Do you use what is in the game now and does it enhance your game experience and how?
Do you think these features are worth having at the expense of losing what features we already have in the game?
Do you wonder why the devs are spending time on this, and not on things that are more relevant to the game? (Say like new jobs, being able to use diagonal walls, new pets, getting the cities to EALand or is there no longer a deadline ?)

Please, if someone would like to discuss/bash mods and how their posting privileges do/do not differ from those in the general Stratics population, feel free to do so in Stratics Discussion. Thanks!

G

What you consider to be the facts, isn't something I agree with. Your choice of words, makes it sound like it's the players fault that this game was doomed. Being an old player, you certainly should know better.

Old players know what this game needed to make it better. We know why so many of our friends left over the years. I think EA would be wise to take our concerns seriously. We love the game and we want to see it be the great game it could have been. With the right updates, the right changes, it still could be.

The subscriber numbers were down, yes. But that is EA's fault for abandoning the game. Had we all quit back in 2005 or 2006, when EA was too busy with sims 2 expansion packs and who knows what else, do you think TSO would still be around now? Do you think had the numbers dropped the game into the red back then that Luc would have had time to bother with it? I don't think so. So yes, it was those of us who stuck with this game who kept it alive.

sorry missed the warning

I don't see a need of web applications, I doubt greatly I ever use them. I think it's wrong to take more from our choices, as in full screen mode, just because of them also.

I

imported_Spaghetti Legs

<blockquote><hr>

The subscriber numbers were down, yes. But that is EA's fault for abandoning the game. Had we all quit back in 2005 or 2006, when EA was too busy with sims 2 expansion packs and who knows what else, do you think TSO would still be around now? Do you think had the numbers dropped the game into the red back then that Luc would have had time to bother with it? I don't think so. So yes, it was those of us who stuck with this game who kept it alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe, IMHO, once the numbers were down in say, 2005, that EA was in a quandary as to exactly what to do with this dying game. I'm sure they wanted to save face, so I think they just put it on a "maintain only" basis while they came to a decision. Then Luc came along and the rest is history!

G

I think you could just as easily see it as a case of EA keeping the game alive for the few players left, years after they had a financial reason to close it. The game we have played for the last 5 years is not popular,now......was not popular when it launched......and there is no sound business reason to assume it will become popular in the future, following the same lines it was built on.

Old players liked the old game....that is why they played it long after their 'friends' left. Old players are in the minority, in the gaming community, and putting in only features that enhance the type of play they liked, is unlikely to benefit the ability of the game to attract a major infux of new players.

Huge numbers left because they wanted Custom Content, and were told they could never have it. This makes CC a very big item to have, now.

EA has made it clear, that they will not spend advertising money, on this experiment in raising the dead. The Facebook/Avatar Book/web connections, is the best route we have to reach a huge audience. So whether or not *I* think it is useful or important, for me, it is in fact one of our most important features for reviving the game!

Finally, nothing is being 'taken away' from this game, because the game was already dead....and you can't take something away from nothing. All lamentations over what used to be or might have been 3 years ago, is a waste of time.....and annoying to boot. That was then, this is now.

No time is being 'wasted' on these new features, it is all being very tightly spent on the most effiecient elements, because it is a race for the numbers vs the end of EA's tolerance.

How ever it goes, what ever they do, EA is investing millions on the outcome....its their money, their game and their reputations.

The rest of us just rent it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If I were to quit today, it would have nothing to do with EA games. It would be more like being sick and tired of dealing with players with crappy attitudes.

I'm tired of hearing all the whining and wimpering and bashing and complaining.

If someone doesn't want to play the game, they are not helping EA games at all by continuing to play and run their mouths in game. They aren't happy and they want to be sure no body else is either I guess.

I love it when a 'newbie' sim comes to my house and spends time with me. And I love it when they tell me that for once in their short TSO life they've met someone making the best of it and having a bit of fun. I'm tired of hearing 'newbies' come to my house and tell me about 'older' sims that have nothing better to do with their time but sit on their lots and bash EA, the devs and everything about TSO.

As for the new 'non-committed' players, I think it's very very disrespectful of 'older' sims to devalue their contributions to TSO and I wish that the people making those comments can remember that at one time in their TSO lives their were newbies too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nominated for January post of the month, by golly!

*applauds* *applauds* *applauds*

I've said this very thing, though not nearly as eloquently but with much more emotion and 'sick and tired' behind it.....the way you put it is so much better. I've always had the attitude that if I ever get back, and I say back because I was there once, to being a negative nancy with 90% negative and 10% positive, or 80% negative and 20% positive or whatever, I won't kick and scream and tell EA they just lost another customer, I'll simply say goodbye to those who I wish to, and that will be it. That will be a true vote, with the wallet, because it's beyond obvious that no other kind of vote has a significant impact, nor really would *my* voting with my wallet, unless there were many others who felt the same way I did and did what I did. I'm not ego-centric enough to think that if I quit the game won't continue on without me, or that if I alone quit EA will finally get the message and do things differently. This is the attitude I see portrayed in some of the loudest complaining posts/threads. Maybe its unintentional, maybe it's on purpose.....I dunno. But it *is* there.

G

<blockquote><hr>

That you are as happy as a pig in clover is good news for EA. The trick is for a business to optimize that effect across their customer base, and not rely only on those who have "blind" loyalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is being happy as a pig in clover synonymous with "blind loyalty"? Why can't it just be that some people ARE really excited about the changes coming up, despite the risks.....risks that can be counteracted with good-to-great anti-virus software that most everybody has installed on their computers? Do you not see the negativity dripping from that remark????

<blockquote><hr>

If by any chance you were taking a gibe at me for being a player who grouches about the devs or the game to newbies, you can forget it. I don't think I have ever made a disparaging remark in game chat, nor do I ever sit at my lot and complain. I am out finding what fun the game has to offer. Just because I voice concerns and opinions you may find "negative" in this forum, does not mean I make it a way of life, or, "sim life." In fact, I've not heard any negative comments in room chat from even the most outspoken "complainers" from these boards. My experience is that those who have negative views to air here are the most devout and fun TSO players.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you and a few others DO complain loudly HERE, where it's been proven by all the "Visitor" titles we've seen that new players are starting to find. Don't you think negative post after negative post here can be just as negative as spouting off negativity sitting in your lot or in any busy lot in game? Please tell me you aren't saying you don't see that!

I

imported_Shirl1211

In my opinion, you hit the nail right on the head. I don't care about the numbers. The fact is, the game was dying out but some of us dedicated players stuck around hoping that EA would bring us out of the hole. That is what Luc is doing. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is some of the opinions that I have read seem to be pointing fingers at others and that is just wrong. Obviously we all love the game or we wouldn't be here. There is alot of Dev bashing in the game yes, but that stems from the bug issues, and honestly I think they should work out the existing problems before they introduce another new feature to the game. The one issue that was brought up was about new players being treated rudely. I honestly have not seen that yet. On the contrary, I seen a new player get booted out of a house today because the person was demanding HC'd and serenades and treated the owner with such disrespect that it disgusted me. I have actually seen that a few times, stealing paintings and stories and upon being told to stop, they argued with the roomie and cussed her out. So I guess it can go both ways. I know on my end if a new player ask me *how to* I do my best to help them and I have seen many others do the same. I have given many newbies money to help them get started and have seen others do this as well. I only have myself to answer for and I make it a goal to treat all the players the way I want to be treated. Always have and always will.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I was referring to how people refer to new players here at Stratics.

If it weren't for the "Old Guard the game would be gone" kinda deal. But I counter saying that the "Old Guard" isn't going to keep this game going by themselves.

It's going to take bringing in new folks and making them feel like they are members of the community and that their opinions matter just like those 1800 day old players.

N

NightFlyer

..."It's going to take bringing in new folks and making them feel like they are members of the community and that their opinions matter just like those 1800 day old players."

I had to laugh at this... as if our opinions count for anything.

T

turtleface

Well, I'm a new player and I'm always polite. It probably helped that I've been coming and browsing the forums here
I sleep in beds, I leave tips when i'm in tc3, if i really need food I ask politely. I certainly wouldn't steal anyone's painting lol. The only people that have been rude to me in the game are other noobs. Every time i've asked a question, older players have been really nice and helpful and i appreciate it a lot. If it wasn't for all the nice people in the game, I probably wouldn't be so excited to keep playing it.

I don't really like the idea of these facebook features and stuff. I personally don't like facebook, and I don't intend to use it.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

..."It's going to take bringing in new folks and making them feel like they are members of the community and that their opinions matter just like those 1800 day old players."

I had to laugh at this... as if our opinions count for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH!! Guess it's time for me to go run with some scissors or something.....

G

--------------
This is regarding the devs bringing web features into the game and will be bringing more into the game.

Do you really want them?
- I can see a use for some of the features, yes.

Do you see yourself really using them when you play or it just be another feature of the game that sits idle because you have no need in using it?
- I think having access to the dev blog and wiki is useful. I have Facebook but I don't really spend much time there, and I don't plan on spending much time with Avatarbook either.

Do you use what is in the game now and does it enhance your game experince and how?
- No, I haven't used any of the web features in the game yet. I can't see how they can 'enhance my game experience' in any way. To me, they are not a part of the game, since it takes you to an outside source.

Do you think these features are worth having at the expense of losing what features we already have in the game?
- No. I don't feel the new features should replace whatever we have in game now. They should only be additions, in my opinion.

Do you wonder why the devs are spending time on this, and not on things that are more relevant to the game? (Say like new jobs, being able to use diagonal walls, new pets, getting the cities to EALand or is there no longer a deadline ?)
- Like someone said, not all devs are working on this. Other things are also worked on, that will hopefully add to our game experience.

I

imported_Shirl1211

at is the best comment i've read all day. I hope you stick around and get as much enjoyment from the game as I have. Welcome to the game hon!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Being a mod should not give you or anyone else the right to belittle posters who do not agree with you, but I see it all the time in the way many of us are replied to.

It is not helping build community.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But say that to the mods who have been doing it....Gilly hasn't. She debates with cold hard numbers, not personal opinion, hostility or vendetta. The same cannot be said for every mod, so go attack one of them.

<blockquote><hr>

There is a huge wedge in this community now, hatred and disgust, where once there was respect. This new game they are creating has driven that wedge in very deeply.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, resistance to change in some, and embracing of the changes necessary by others has driven that wedge, and the inability for some to agree to disagree and stop sounding like a broken record. That's not EA's fault....it's our's as a community. Let's put the blame where it is due.

<blockquote><hr>

We need to remember that there is one thing we all have in common, that is the love of our game. We are a passionate group who post here. We should be able to post our opinions without getting jumped on and told we are WRONG! If you don't agree, that is fine, post how you feel about it, but don't tell me I'm wrong for feeling the way I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone doesn't agree with you, they are naturally going to tell you you are wrong. That is part of posting in a debate forum. I've gone the route of trying to change the atmosphere in CH, and figured out I was wasting my breath. I got told, and do believe this now, that if i didn't have the thick skin to be able to stand to be told that my position on an argument was wrong, even in a less than diplomatic way then it'd just be best if I avoid CH....which is exactly what I did until I grew that thick skin. As I saw recently in the movie 'Hitch': "It's advice I now feel obliged to pass on to my fellow man".

I

imported_Shirl1211

You are 110% correct . BTW, thanks to all the *old* sims (1800 + days) who have stuck around. I love this game and the many friends i've made here has even helped me through some RL issues.
Anyway, very well spoken Dutch!

I

imported_Shirl1211

What I keep reading from your comments is this game being doomed. You talk about the numbers and yes, TSO went down hill but the game has been running since 2002 and with or without the mathmatics of it all, I don't think for one minute that they would have continued to keep this game active if they weren't turning some kind of profit. Let's see what Luc can do with it and if it takes off then we will all be happy campers.

G

<blockquote><hr>

What I keep reading from your comments is this game being doomed. You talk about the numbers and yes, TSO went down hill but the game has been running since 2002 and with or without the mathmatics of it all, I don't think for one minute that they would have continued to keep this game active if they weren't turning some kind of profit. Let's see what Luc can do with it and if it takes off then we will all be happy campers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't make good business sense for them to have, you're right about that much. But the fact IS that that is exactly what they have been doing. The only thing that probably kept them from shutting us down was that for a while the only people they had to pay to keep TSO operational at all was whatever salary they pay Parizad and Randy for whatever time he devoted to TSO when he was not working on UO stuff. Had they HAD to pay more people than that for whatever reasons, then I'm certain they would have had to pull the plug, because the numbers don't lie......TSO was *not* turning a profit, we were just not quite 'far enough' in the red for them to lower the chopping block on it, so it was a 'this isn't making a profit, but we're not putting a whole lot into it anyway so it won't kill us to keep it around as a loss leader' type thing. Do you have numbers to support your claim that TSO was turning 'some kind' of profit as we who know that it wasn't have the numbers to back up our statements? It shouldn't be difficult to get a financial statement to show what numbers were coming from where, particularly if you or anybody you know owns EA stock. They MUST provide that information to their shareholders, and I'm pretty sure that an employee publically stating false information like that would be legally defined as fraud, so I can't see any of them doing that just to make themselves look good.

I know people don't like to be told they are wrong, but sorry....in this instance I'd have to say that those that really believe EA is lying when they tell us that TSO was in the red, are indeed wrong.

G

TSO was *not* turning a profit, we were just not quite 'far enough' in the red

Correct, as usual. At least this time.

Also, EA did not want to piss off the offline Sims players who are maintaining the profitability of the Sims franchise. I've always thought that the EA accounting system wasn't sophisticated enough to get a true handle on TSO net income. The fragmented expenses were buried in many different expense pools, no amount large enough to draw attention.

Without access to the books or an EA accounting person spilling the beans, we will never know.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Without access to the books or an EA accounting person spilling the beans, we will never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't the financial statement that had to be given to anybody who holds EA stock have a breakdown of what games earned/lost how much money? I've never bought or owned stock, so I'm not sure what all is listed on the statements they must provide on demand, I just know that they *do* have to provide a true financial report to any stock holder that requests it.

ETA: Oh, btw

<blockquote><hr>

Correct, as usual. At least this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bite me!

G

For those that missed it the first time .......

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="red">General Warning</font> to stick to the Topic at hand which is:

Do you really want them?
Do you use what is in the game now and does it enhance your game experience and how?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]