• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Auction] Selling Shadow's Embrace Unique 1of1 old wearable item.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I am creating a auction for this item since I have received a lot of interest. The origination of this item is unknown. I have verified through Mesanna that this is not an illegal item, and it pre-dates the current EM system. For anyone unfamiliar with previous discussions of this item, or for anyone who wants validation of its legitimacy, please view This Thread.

This item is currently located on Pacific, but I will deliver it to any American server at no extra cost. I also have tokens for Europa and a few Asian shards that I can deliver it to as well.

The minimum bid is 500mill. I will close this auction Monday January 11th at 10pm EST time. Any bids received directly before 10pm EST will extend the auction 10 minutes. Any bids made past that point will extend the auction an additional 10 minutes. Once 10 minutes has passed without any additional bids, the auction will close.

I will not accept any private offers, and all bids must be made in this post.

Thank you and happy bidding.

edit Spelling Europa is hard >.<

Last edited:

fajico

Seasoned Veteran
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
700m

What's the hue ID of the item ?

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good for you Giggles, its nice to see something that was thought to be a rogue em item, be real. I would say that would make it an undocumented seer item. Better yet you found this at a idoc proving that great stuff is still out there. I hope you get a kings ransom for it.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good for you Giggles, its nice to see something that was thought to be a rogue em item, be real. I would say that would make it an undocumented seer item. Better yet you found this at a idoc proving that great stuff is still out there. I hope you get a kings ransom for it.
Thank you :heart:. And yes indeed. If I wouldn't have been there this item would have decayed. It was a small house out in the middle of fel, and I was very loosly checking it throughout the day. Idocers do have a purpose in saving history still, that is for sure.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did Mesanna actually it was pre EM program item? I highly doubt that. Shrouds did not exist before that other than ghost robes and any new graphic has to go through proper approval. Now if shrouds in general existed before the EM program then yes I would agree that would be a possibility but a new art and nothing else similar from that time period exists I highly doubt that. I have seen nearly 100% of the recorded seer items when I helped Courage built the seer item database for Stratics. Being illegally created and later legally to own is not uncommon as many items today are like that. But certainly most of them were created after when the EM program started. With all that being said, it is still a very nice item so 2 billion bid from me :)

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Did Mesanna actually it was pre EM program item? I highly doubt that. Shrouds did not exist before that other than ghost robes and any new graphic has to go through proper approval. Now if shrouds in general existed before the EM program then yes I would agree that would be a possibility but a new art and nothing else similar from that time period exists I highly doubt that. I have seen nearly 100% of the recorded seer items when I helped Courage built the seer item database for Stratics. Being illegally created and later legally to own is not uncommon as many items today are like that. But certainly most of them were created after when the EM program started. With all that being said, it is still a very nice item so 2 billion bid from me :)
Yes she did say it was pre-EM program. I recorded the full conversation that you can view here.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ah and yes, perhaps she wasn't referring to the entire EM program, but she did say "her" program. At least 6 years old.

Duane I Am

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyhow back to this Shroud. This is an illegally created EM item. Please stop calling it "undocumented" as if they were legit and I forgot to put it the list. Call it for what it is "illegally created". With that being said, Mesanna has relaxed her grip a few years ago and stopped deleting them on site. There is a particular rare collector who owns a lot of them and these renegade EMs would sell it to that person for good money. Anyways, most of them were caught and banned etc... Now back to this particular item, while Mesanna has relaxed her grip on many illegally created items, to my latest knowledge, still bans illegal shrouds when caught. Case in point, I've seen her delete hued Monk Shrouds that gets looted on MOB corps after events. It could be because they were Monk shrouds. But in general, if an item has a potential of hurting the mechanics of the game, i.e. a monk shroud losing it's static on corps therefore gets looted, they will delete it on sight.

#15Manticore, Dec 14, 2015

Is it still Illegal or undocumented? Or did it just get some papers? Did it get some Executive orders? I dont mean to be rude but is this foot in mouth time?

Duane I Am

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seemed a little snarky. Thats a really nice one of a kind. I think I have 30m on acct. 30m? goin once?

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think a few people had just assumed this item was illegal. Maybe some were a little too aggressive in that assumption. I had pretty much predicted she was just going to delete it based on the strong comments against it. But in all honestly, Its pretty rare to stumble on something no one has a clue about, unless its some sort of naughty item. I'm just happy I was quick enough to record the Mesanna conversation exchange.
Mesanna talking on camera, while holding a unknown item, and saying its OK pretty much qualifys' as "papers" in my book lol.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyhow back to this Shroud. This is an illegally created EM item. Please stop calling it "undocumented" as if they were legit and I forgot to put it the list. Call it for what it is "illegally created". With that being said, Mesanna has relaxed her grip a few years ago and stopped deleting them on site. There is a particular rare collector who owns a lot of them and these renegade EMs would sell it to that person for good money. Anyways, most of them were caught and banned etc... Now back to this particular item, while Mesanna has relaxed her grip on many illegally created items, to my latest knowledge, still bans illegal shrouds when caught. Case in point, I've seen her delete hued Monk Shrouds that gets looted on MOB corps after events. It could be because they were Monk shrouds. But in general, if an item has a potential of hurting the mechanics of the game, i.e. a monk shroud losing it's static on corps therefore gets looted, they will delete it on sight.

Is it still Illegal or undocumented? Or did it just get some papers? Did it get some Executive orders? I dont mean to be rude but is this foot in mouth time?
Of course was illegally created and undocumented. What does that have to do with legally owned? It wasn't created from a known event so it won't get listed on the EM item list ergo "undocumented" shall remain. It's as simple as that. Mesanna said it's legally to own but she said nothing about being legally created back then. She even admits herself it was before her time. The original post asks for the legality of this item and I post what I knew based on previous experiences regarding shroud like items being deleted from players hands when reported. I even stated those that I knew about were hued Monk Robes found on MOB corpses.

These items being sold these days out in the open are occurring at a much higher frequency than in the past. Back then these type of items could be called on and they would do an investigation and if their origins can't be identified they were deleted. Just because they are now "allowed" to be owned doesn't change their origins. There have been at least half a dozen EMs and GMs fired over the years for these type of behaviors and while they are gone when caught their legacies remain till this day in collectors' houses or hidden away in some accounts secretly being sold on the side.

Last edited:

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not saying this to cause any problems but from what I can tell there is no guarantee that this item is unique. It seems highly likely that it is, since nobody has seen one before, I just don't want anybody to be extremely shocked if another pops up in the future

Duane I Am

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what i'm hearing is if Manty did not see it be born it ain't poop? Amiright? I'am no good at the emotocons but can I get somebody to post the one stirring the pot? 30m did I win?

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what i'm hearing is if Manty did not see it be born it ain't poop? Amiright? I'am no good at the emotocons but can I get somebody to post the one stirring the pot? 30m did I win?
You know... something tells me you're only here to stir the pot that is drama. Seriously though?

Duane I Am

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know... something tells me you're only here to stir the pot that is drama. Seriously though?
NO NO I just don't like the smugness of the comments. This is a massive multiplayer game and it is impossible for one person to know everything. And for people to think they are the Britiannia of Britiannia and try to tell the masses they are plebs and don't know any better really makes me want to question their motives.

Clops

Sage
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dread Lord
Captn Norrington -- I apologize in advance for fueling the fire.

Manticore's opinion on event items and rares in general are extremely informed. He's spent a painstaking amount of time researching, documenting, and discussing UO rares. The 142,000+ views of his event item/catalog thread shows how strongly he is relied on for his expertise on the category (I can't think of many other threads with that many views on Stratics). So, yes, when one of the foremost authorities of a subject throws out an opinion, it's worth taking that opinion into consideration.

The shroud's origin will remain a mystery, and that's part of what makes these items intriguing. Maybe there was a rogue GM that made it once. Maybe an EM forgot to make an NPC invulnerable and it was looted off the corpse. Maybe it was a progressive seer that used a death shroud as a quest item. Any maybe 100 more of these will pop up in the next few days. Maybe Mesanna will decide she liked the look of it and make it a boss drop devaluing it completely. Who knows?

With that said, the item is considered legal to own and trade in Mesanna's eyes. Her blessing is good enough for me, and it's a great find for Giggles.

I'll put my money where my mouth is: 3.5b for the undocumented shroud.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I kinda want it just to say I beat everyone else who wants it.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Reminder, auction ends tomorrow night. Current bid 3.5bill from Clops.

genchattroll101

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
NO NO I just don't like the smugness of the comments. This is a massive multiplayer game and it is impossible for one person to know everything. And for people to think they are the Britiannia of Britiannia and try to tell the masses they are plebs and don't know any better really makes me want to question their motives.
You never have good input.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this question might be better off asked in a new thread. It doesn't have much to do with the specific item here on auction. Thank you =)
i thought this discussion was about robes... manticore? goodman? where am i?

in all seriousness, it does have to do with this sale. its another one of those uniques that was never meant to be in game, but is, and whos legality was in question.

i agree with clops. anything like these kinds of items, the person knows what their buying, and should know that any item like this technically has chance to be deleted (albeit how small) we all know mesanna does forget what she says sometimes, and it really comes down to the decsion of the day.

So ya, thats why the monks robes were brought up, and the one on origin is especially pertenant because its the most recent example of this type of item being created and accessed by a player.

cool robe and good luck with the sale

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i thought this discussion was about robes... manticore? goodman? where am i?

in all seriousness, it does have to do with this sale. its another one of those uniques that was never meant to be in game, but is, and whos legality was in question.

i agree with clops. anything like these kinds of items, the person knows what their buying, and should know that any item like this technically has chance to be deleted (albeit how small) we all know mesanna does forget what she says sometimes, and it really comes down to the decsion of the day.

So ya, thats why the monks robes were brought up, and the one on origin is especially pertenant because its the most recent example of this type of item being created and accessed by a player.

cool robe and good luck with the sale
This item is not a random item that was looted off a corpse at a recent event. This item has a unique name, not just (a robe with a cool color). Mesanna checked the item to verify that it is not anything recent or a result of her program, or a result of known illegal activities. She had no issues with me having, keeping, or selling this item as can be viewed in the recording. This item is over 6 years old. I am having a hard time understanding how you feel a item looted off a corpse recently, is the same as this specific item.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its also worth noting that since the TOL addition of dyeable "hooded shrouds" it a appears an overall more lax stance has been created on hooded robes in general.

[Discussion] - hooded robe?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This item is not a random item that was looted off a corpse at a recent event. This item has a unique name, not just (a robe with a cool color). Mesanna checked the item to verify that it is not anything recent or a result of her program, or a result of known illegal activities. She had no issues with me having, keeping, or selling this item as can be viewed in the recording. This item is over 6 years old. I am having a hard time understanding how you feel a item looted off a corpse recently, is the same as this specific item.
agreed, i wasnt refferring to that totally different situation (that the orgin shroud was a base item, and yours was an intentionally created item).

im saying that historically the shroud graphic has been more problematic than others. more stringent policing of that graphic has happened in the past compared to if it had been an item of a different graphic. you did the right thing in getting documentation from mesanna, and i think the current top buyer knows the deal with documentation. it can be referenced, but theres always a slim chance with these items that they can deleted. Which is perfectly fine. it most likely wont happen especially since the addition of the new dyeable spawning hooded shroud provides evidence that the stance may have been eased up on overall.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well I am not Mesanna obviously. I can't speak for any future actions or decisions she will make. But most generally and historically they are aggressive against items that weren't intended. Or items that were made illegally by duping or other means (Ethy clothing etc.).
I do not mind people discussing this item, or the possibilities of its future. But the facts we know now is, it has no ID, and it does not belong to any programs in at the very least.. 6 years (possibly longer). I also feel if it were the works of a dupe, or other activities they are aggressive against, I wouldn't still have it.
That being said I do not see how it is necessary to derail this auction by discussing and asking about other more recent items. I would rather people go continue the discussions in those threads, as opposed to filling this auction with a lot of irrelevant information that really does not apply in this case.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Hmm

*counts his platinums*

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

Who's alt is this really ?

There is just enough stupid drama in this to be dangerous

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Reminder, Auction ends tonight @ 10:00pm EST. The 10 minute rule will apply. Current high bidder is Promathia @ 3.6bill
Soon after the auction is over, I will prepare to xfer the item to the server of the winners choosing.
Thank you all for the input and feedback of this item. I was really tempted to keep it, but I feel a item like this belongs in a museum.

See you guys tonight! =)

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bid 1 million smoke bombs, where can I pick this item up? Currently locking random crap in your house if that works for you.