• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Second Impressions

• Thread starter Scarsdale Punk
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
S

Scarsdale Punk

Has anyone changed their opinions on any of the professions after the press-beta infodump?

I'm a little more interested in mesmer now that I've seen them in action. They seemed pretty interesting before, but not enough to make me want to play one. Maybe it's because their illusion casting is such a new thing. I've come across gnome illusionists back in AD&D, but nothing quite so robust as the mesmer. They're a little theatrical for me, but I think that's why people from GW1 seem to love them.

I've already determined my 5 character slot professions, but if #5 (engineer) wavers the mesmer could slide in...

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sticking with the Guardian. The Mesmer looks really good and the illusions are great but I am head strong on the Guardian profession atm.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Way back playing Baulder's Gate 2, I was initially drawn to the illusionist class, only to find it weak/ineffective. The mesmer class similarly appeals to me, but I'm worried that it may not be self-sufficient. Not the case?

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually no profession is bad. Just trying to pick the one that firs your play style. Mesmer was awesome in PvP in GW1. I have a guild mate that roxxors on one. I have one but only used him in PvE. I preffered my Dervish for PvP.

GW2 it's all different. I think each profession brings it's own drink to the table so to speak. Just have to pick the class that fits your playstle but weapons plays and weapon sets will play an important part in how you play your character.

B

Bella

I originally wanted to start with a silvari elementalist but have since changed my mind and will be creating a silvari mesmer instead. I also had initially wanted to start with just one profession and learn it completely before moving on to another which has also changed. My new plan of action is to make a silvari necromancer along with the mesmer.

Most of the other professions don't interest me (I've always preferred magic casters) other than possibly a human thief and maybe an asura ranger; but they are both iffy right now.

I absolutely love the silvari and can see all my toons being of the same race if it were not for the fact that I'd like to experience each of the races' starting zones.

Bella