• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Scroll Binder - Details?

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys, anybody know where I can find a breakdown of exactly how these Scroll Binders will work? Will they be like a BOD book where you can put any and all of your SOTs in them and then filter and combine as desired? Or are they single use? Or only good for a single skill at a time? Can you use the same binder for SOTs and PSs?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is the big problem with beta testing. The testers knew this long ago and have cleaned out all the vendors. Very hard to find any non 120 PS.

K

kaldera4

This is the big problem with beta testing. The testers knew this long ago and have cleaned out all the vendors. Very hard to find any non 120 PS.
i not think that were the betatesters that cleaned the vendors of extreme cheap low end PS (and much other good selected very cheap stuff (example useless extreme cheap Fungi and Parasitic) some weeks ago)
They absolutely cannot have made that!
and their friends can also absolutely not be responsible for that big cleaning out of very good selected stuff over all shards in the last several weeks too.
and why not? Because of the NDA! ;):D:D:D

have a look here http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1354954#post1354954
or you might have a look here: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=152208

unfortunately that second thread was hijacked a little at end. and unfortunately one linked thread was completely deleted because there you could see a screenshot that a friend of a betatester posted one day before the retribution got open.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know that the upheavals around expansion are always a stressful time and perhaps not everyone is equally honorable about insider info, but I remind you that there are good many people who have worked very hard for a very long time for the good of all and took their NDAs very seriously. I just ask that you be careful about waving the brush too widely.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just as a matter of interest, when was the last time you tried to find a scroll less than 115 before SA beta?

My stealther used to tour the champ spots picking 110s off the floor to give to newbies. They were often found on the floor around banks too. It isn't necessarily a case that beta testers have bought them, it's quite likely they weren't on vendors to be bought.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for that link, that was very helpful. I like this idea in general, especially with the power scrolls... but Im not really liking the way they did the SOTs. So you have to get it to 10 full points no matter what? That really sucks. They should give you the option to turn the binder into a 8.7 or whatever its at when it gets to the point you need it. What if I only need 8.1 points, then the binder is useless to me as I would be wasting 1.9 in skill by the time I finish it. And even if I stop raising my skill at 90 so I can use the full +10 skill points, what if I get stuck at 9.8, and cant find another scroll for that skill for 4 months? It would be faster for me to raise my skill to 90.02 and then use the SOTs I have, but this system seems like it does not offer that flexibility.

Am I just reading it wrong, or is it designed like that for a purpose that I am not aware of? It just seems to me like using Scroll Binders for SOTs either needs some more work put into it or its not worth using at all.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once you start a SoT binder then, yes, you have to fill it to use it.

As you point out, this isn't perfect. If it were +5.0 instead of +10.0, would that be much better? (assuming for a moment that at this stage of polish, it's easier to lobby for a tweak than a new UI for the scrolls)

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh ya, I would say that would be a lot better. Im just wondering why they even have to have a whole number. With power scrolls i can see them sticking to 110, 115, and 120, that is logical. But the very nature of the SOT system allows for decimal places... so why not allow us to combine as many or as few as we want to make a new scroll. If I want to stop combining scrolls once it has reached a value of 7.3 then I should be able to.

It makes the most sense for me to work on raising my skill while saving up SOTs untill im at a point where the two will produce my end goal. And then to have the ability to use my combined scrolls at whatever value that happens to be. This would allow us to save storage space by using scroll binders, while not having to worry that we will never be able to find enough scrolls to combine to get the ones we have already invested turned back into a usable form.

While I would really prefer the option to combine as many or as few of the SOTs as I need... I would say that reducing the mandatory value to 5.0 instead of 10.0 would be better.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A possible solution...

From my understanding, double clicking a Scroll Binder gives you a targeting icon for you to choose the next scroll to bind. What if single clicking the scroll gave you a drop down option to simply transform the Binder back into a SOT with the current bound value.

Im no programmer, but it seems to me that should not be too dificult to impliment, and it would really make these Binders useful when it comes to SOTs.

G

guum

Once you start a SoT binder then, yes, you have to fill it to use it.

As you point out, this isn't perfect. If it were +5.0 instead of +10.0, would that be much better? (assuming for a moment that at this stage of polish, it's easier to lobby for a tweak than a new UI for the scrolls)
As I mentioned elsewhere, 5.0 is still really much too much. I have a pretty large hoard of SoTs (about 3 chests full), and I still wouldn't be able to come up with 5 points for more than a few skills. 10 is absurd, but I was under the impression that it won't stay that way...I'd really like to see it at 2, or even 1, just as a method of reducing clutter from the little baby .1s & .2s.

edit: although really, Endrik's solution is even better, if the devs would be willing to do that.