• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Scripters win again

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is useless to talk about the past ... better ... today yet another confirmation that the scripters always win, weeeeeeeeeee!

Today I was hunting in Tokuno and I see a player who moves for hours, always from one point to another (loop). I speak but he doesn't answer, I kill what he was killing, not even a word. Same identical movements for hours.

In the meantime, I contact a GM and report everything ... I wait ... I wait ... nobody comes!

Report it again, same thing.

After a while in another area near them another player, same scenario.
Contact a GM, nothing ... nothing ... nothing

Another very serious thing is that I ask my guild how to report, what do they answer me? come on, leave it ... don't waste time ... let it go

If we have this wonderful game now destroyed and ruined it is the fault of the GM and the dev group who have not done a damn thing .... but it is also the fault of those who leave these episodes alone!

Scripters, Dupers ... better to be on your side?
Confused, disappointed, angry

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The rose-tinted glasses make them blind. I gave up reporting scripters long long ago. Even with the exact co-ords they couldn't find them and they were still happily scripting hours later. Mostly I don't think they even bothered looking.

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I saw one to when I was running for my life with a yamandon chasing me....I tried to warn him of the incoming danger but wouldn't listen just kept doing the same pattern... poor guy died and ghost just stood there... Hope he didn't loose all his finds cause his body vanished after awhile....

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While I am not sure it is official ToS, in practice, it would seem like long running macros/scripts do not get account action as long as the player can respond to a GM when one shows up... macroing and scripting is fine as long as its attended.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup. They probably are sitting there watching Tiger King on Netflix. They can respond to a GM and they choose to ignore other players. Responding to other players is not required.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The average player is the one that needs to look out. I remeber years ago I was in my own home fighting a genome to raise skills. I had to use the rest room. I did not stop fighting would be back in about 5 to 10 mins when I came back I was loged off and when I tried to log back in it would not let me. The next day I got ahold of support and was told I was banned becasue i was afk marco. Toke me a week to get that account back

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
People macroing in their own home should not even be a big issue, but of course they are an easier target than the real scripters. Haven and Luna are full of people doing that and they are never touched, even when they macro in one spot ALL day!

ziox

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is useless to talk about the past ... better ... today yet another confirmation that the scripters always win, weeeeeeeeeee!

Today I was hunting in Tokuno and I see a player who moves for hours, always from one point to another (loop). I speak but he doesn't answer, I kill what he was killing, not even a word. Same identical movements for hours.

In the meantime, I contact a GM and report everything ... I wait ... I wait ... nobody comes!

Another very serious thing is that I ask my guild how to report, what do they answer me? come on, leave it ... don't waste time ... let it go

If we have this wonderful game now destroyed and ruined it is the fault of the GM and the dev group who have not done a damn thing .... but it is also the fault of those who leave these episodes alone!

snitch.png

keyvan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

rat-omestique-870x432.jpg

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@MaryForUo The Dev team clearly don't care about the worst elements of scripting and cheating so a lot of players now turn a blind eye as there is no point in sending them evidence for the 20th time when the first 19 were ignored. Personally I applaud you for caring enough to bother, but a lot of people have just become complacent about the whole situation, don't let other people bring you down to their level or compromise your integrity. Cheating is still cheating even if the Dev team choose to ignore it and not uphold their own ToS.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So you snitch on someone and then stand around waiting to see if the GM shows up and what he does? Are you hoping to derive some sort of sick pleasure from watching another player get in trouble? You do realize that BS has a policy of not discussing disciplinary actions taken against other players. If you are waiting around for hours, as you said you were, it's very possible that the GM showed up but couldn't do his job because of you being there. I'm not sure that this is what happened, but I'd say it's very possible.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow. The Dojo just littered with stealth tamers with Cu’s running riot. What is weird is that if the spawn they are killing us moved, the cu just stands still facing the hidden tamer. i saw one for over ten mins just standing there. Of course the tamer us not AFK are they. All the devs have to do is go look and see the rampant cheating going on.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow. The Dojo just littered with stealth tamers with Cu’s running riot. What is weird is that if the spawn they are killing us moved, the cu just stands still facing the hidden tamer. i saw one for over ten mins just standing there. Of course the tamer us not AFK are they. All the devs have to do is go look and see the rampant cheating going on.

They'll co,pletely reprogram the Dojo instead. It's the way they roll nowdays

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not going to make many friends with this post. First off about the afk scripters. Report them and move on. Luring or other techniques IS illegal. You claim they are afk scripting but frankly you don't know that for sure. There is ZERO ways that you can be sure. Which means there is a chance that the only one actually violating the TOS are those that are luring. To me, in many cases the one thought to be afk just isn't interested in talking to you. I know that this happens because frankly I've done it myself. Especially if that character makes some kind of rude comment about me probably being afk. I've had a person ask me if I was there or was I afk scripting. To me that is rude. So I ignored them. After their several failed attempts to lure on me they finallly paged a GM. I was asked by the GM (wich shocked the hell out of me that he actually came!!) if I was there and I responded immediately that I was and that I was simply ignoring an ignorant player. He laughed and went on his way. What are the odds that that same accuser came to these boards and complained about the devs not doing anything about the mean ol afk scripter? Sometimes you THINK you know what is happening but in reality you simply don't.

Secondly, with all the pancakes that I've seen on both boards about ToT if I were the devs I would shut it down completely. Of course perhaps that is what those constantly making snarky comments about the devs want. Maybe they are protecting the value of their already obtained mempo.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not going to make many friends with this post. First off about the afk scripters. Report them and move on. Luring or other techniques IS illegal. You claim they are afk scripting but frankly you don't know that for sure. There is ZERO ways that you can be sure. Which means there is a chance that the only one actually violating the TOS are those that are luring. To me, in many cases the one thought to be afk just isn't interested in talking to you. I know that this happens because frankly I've done it myself. Especially if that character makes some kind of rude comment about me probably being afk. I've had a person ask me if I was there or was I afk scripting. To me that is rude. So I ignored them. After their several failed attempts to lure on me they finallly paged a GM. I was asked by the GM (wich shocked the hell out of me that he actually came!!) if I was there and I responded immediately that I was and that I was simply ignoring an ignorant player. He laughed and went on his way. What are the odds that that same accuser came to these boards and complained about the devs not doing anything about the mean ol afk scripter? Sometimes you THINK you know what is happening but in reality you simply don't.

Secondly, with all the pancakes that I've seen on both boards about ToT if I were the devs I would shut it down completely. Of course perhaps that is what those constantly making snarky comments about the devs want. Maybe they are protecting the value of their already obtained mempo.
From my experience bots usually rather stand around as ghosts or infront of a bag you put in the only way they accept to walk. They barely report players :)

Also if I see a player lite on me for extended time, it's not to hard to say "stop" before reporting. It's a little price to pay if it means they could catch some big fishes.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So did you page a GM or just come here and pancake/whine about it, let me guess pancake/whine as normal.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For those that are complaining about the stealth tamers scipting ToT in the dojo, I'll let you in on a little secret to hopefully dry your tears. The dojo (and fan dancers) aren't even the best place for drops. Grab a necro/weaver and pop into wraith form and go with the sleeping dragon spawn to spam wither/EQ/Thunderstorm.

I'm not condoning scripting but I'm with you @Lord Frodo / @Fridgster. Seems like the same handful of people are the ones always complaining about something. First it was about it was about "limited content" not being available forever, then they say "clean up the old pointless content". The next day it's about getting a new usable pet to use for content, then it's about how ugly it looks and it doesn't flap and the damage type sucks. The next day it's "fix IDOCS", then it's about how the changes they made to IDOCs aren't what they said should be done. Then it was "turn back on ToT", and now it's not fair because scripters are killing more stuff.

Sad that some people are only happy being unhappy (and trying to make others unhappy) and only purpose is to non-stop complain about any/everything. Then they get mad when the Devs ignore them because they aren't fixing every possible thing the way they wanted it fixed. If I were a Dev I wouldn't subject myself to that either.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Tokuno Treasures were one of the few events I actually enjoyed grinding. I have a few favorite spots and for some reason it was always the one event I liked. I can't imagine why people pay to play this game and don't actually play. Are people really still buying stuff with real money this much to make it worth it?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
if I remember right, someone called their lawyer a snitch/rat. trying to remember who that was lol.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I paged and I email Mesanna. Only fair that we all play by the rules don’t you think
Yes we should all play by the rules but guess what I hide in the Dojo while my puppy kills mobs and I will gladly answer any GM that shows.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
sometimes gm come...but they have script to warn them with a alarm sound when a gm came so they answer
it would seem like long running macros/scripts do not get account action as long as the player can respond to a GM when one shows up...
People macroing in their own home should not even be a big issue, but of course they are an easier target than the real scripters.
Of course they are an easier target, they don't have the GM alarm! Not sure IF that is what happens, but if the scripters indeed manage to respond to a GM, what are the GMs to do??

[Edit: Wanted to add we feel macroing skills should not be punishable, as it doesn't harm anyone else's gameplay, you're only trying to get chars up to a level where you can really play them asap.]

If you are waiting around for hours, as you said you were, it's very possible that the GM showed up but couldn't do his job because of you being there.
Nope, not possible, recently we had an issue with a disappeared ethy and when the GM came, only that char could see the greyed "hidden" GM. (Our other char in the same area saw nothing of it.) They also take you into a GM chat, with the [ key, so if they come, NO ONE ELSE SEES IT. So to the OP, you can wait for hours there, but end up only looking like a fool. Because if the GM came, and they managed to reply, you never saw anything of it!

As for the hidden tamers claiming some scraps, (we read the point count is much slower when hidden upon the kill,) it baffles us to see others have such a problem with that.
1. They could do it themselves.
2. They could use their time doing something else far more efficient to get far more drops themselves. (See Keven's post)
3. If they happen to be in your fave spot, no harm in taking it over, you can easily beat a pet auto-targeting with active targeting yourself. If they are not AFK as you suspect, they will say something likely?
4. You can even go through the trouble of luring the spawn away, if you really feel that troubled by them getting something while you are busy whining. That works until someone else kills the spawn we guess..

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nope, not possible, recently we had an issue with a disappeared ethy and when the GM came, only that char could see the greyed "hidden" GM. (Our other char in the same area saw nothing of it.) They also take you into a GM chat, with the [ key, so if they come, NO ONE ELSE SEES IT. So to the OP, you can wait for hours there, but end up only looking like a fool. Because if the GM came, and they managed to reply, you never saw anything of it!
Exactly. The GM can be hidden or not hidden from others. I have seen both. So, you really do not know if the player was talking to the GM in his chat while you were standing there. Most likely they have multiple screen on and they talked to the GM.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*taps pipe and looks up from the fire*

Hmm, sounds like the powers at be should just flip the switch and shut the ToT off. Solves all the problems and clearly everyone can go back to their happy travels around Sosaria.

*settles back into his chair by the fire and returns thoughtfully to his dusty old tome*

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GMs still show up for scripters. I was intermittently training bard skills in Luna last week, and had a GM show up, they never spoke to me in GM chat, but showed as a ghost and spoke to me above their head. I actually had to pull the life bar to see it was yellow, before I answered. I had been macroing less than 60 min.

Point is, Some people still page and on occasion a GM still bothers to show up.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Build a spell damage increase mage with the appropriate slayer book and the mobs will be gone before unattended Fido even moves. Or Fido will spend his time cleaning up after you do area of effect damage and you will still get credit for kills. More killed faster means more drops. Win. Win.

But if afking still bothers you. Simply report the suspect and move on. Let the GMs and Mesanna sort it out. The only one who has anything to lose is the unattended afker who loses their trained pet and account.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To everyone who wrote these wise things, i wanna say sorry if I wrote these horrible things!!
So if this thing is so tolerated and whoever reports it is a loser, then I better shut up and use it, like all of you.
thanks a lot and hope Mempos will be 200k soon and hope GM yamandon will have less work to do :) bye

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To everyone who wrote these wise things, i wanna say sorry if I wrote these horrible things!!
So if this thing is so tolerated and whoever reports it is a loser, then I better shut up and use it, like all of you.
thanks a lot and hope Mempos will be 200k soon and hope GM yamandon will have less work to do :) bye
You shouldn't feel the need to apologize. Reporting bannable offenses is hardly being a loser! Especially when the developers have requested those reports. And also it helps them because they can't police every situation. Sure others will make the opposite case for whatever their own personal reasons. Don't be bullied by others calling someone a snitch. In fact the people usually saying this are most likely the worst offenders. Your feedback and concerns about game are just as valid for developers to consider as any other player.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I read this thread. It was not as depressing as you make it out to be.
200k mempos will be nice.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't get me wrong. Scripters suck. The fact that it is so rampant and obvious in many cases is disheartening. But when it has been like this for so long that sadly it has been ingrained into the game itself. Of course then there are things like the producer herself stating she has used "illegal third party programs" herself. How can you fault someone else using it when you hear that. Heck there was a point where several illegal third party programs where being considered to become legal.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
hmm...how do you know this guy is scripting and not just ignoring you and running an attended macro of some kind? Perhaps that is why the GMs aren't hauling him off to the Green Acres Maximum Security Facility. Farming artifacts is a horrible, boring activity not fit for human beings. I certainly can't be assed to do it anymore with or without a macro. Definitely don't see the point of accumulating anymore artifacts either. I have everything I want, no point in stockpiling any more for some greedy grab ass IDOC sitter to take.

Last edited:

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I thought scripting in your house was allowed. They've allowed it and disallowed it and it's so rampant, it's hard to tell anymore. Who really wants to train lockpicking without a script? There's a mod here who argued and got likes from a lot of you about how microtransactions for stuff not sold on the legit store is good because they work and don't always want to spend time in the game. Those same stores are the scripters. It's just inconsistent messages from the community and game. And let's say I was attended scripting a miner. I wouldn't stop to respond to a player. I'm not running a script to socialize or satisfy your ego that you stop a person scripting when it's allowed.

Not that I do mining scripting. I actually enjoy harvesting resources manually and never bothered figuring out "rails" or whatever the hell that is.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No scripting is legal, in your house or otherwise. You create a macro and you sit at your screen. There is nothing anywhere that says you can go to an illegal 3rd party site. You know what they are, use the program and then go watch TV. YOU know its wrong, and if you get caught thats on you.

They have NEVER said its legal to script in your house. EVER

You know damn well that you are not allowed to use 3rd party programs

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No scripting is legal, in your house or otherwise. You create a macro and you sit at your screen. There is nothing anywhere that says you can go to an illegal 3rd party site. You know what they are, use the program and then go watch TV. YOU know its wrong, and if you get caught thats on you.

They have NEVER said its legal to script in your house. EVER

You know damn well that you are not allowed to use 3rd party programs
I can't take anyone serious that uses the word legal when discussing this topic, sorry. I'm almost 100% they've said scripting in your house attended was okay.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok. Let’s forget legal and illegal as it’s just a game

however it is against the rules, TOS to use any unapproved 3rd path program. Ie script programs and it is 100% against the TOS to use these programs whether it be speeding in PVP. Loot grabbing or indeed in you house training. It’s all not allowed

if you play 2D then u have the client and UOassist only to run the game No automated programs can be used.

There. Can be no mistake. If you use anything that u have to subscribe to or join and create a membership acct to run automated scripts from a library you are risking your Acct

most people now use Mythic tokens to get 5x90 skills set and then use SOA to finish they chars

lol and don’t buy gold from 3rd party RMT sites. You risk getting hacked ripped off and again banned

you cannot buy game gold from the UO store either. So you will know you are on dodgy ground doing so

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't take anyone serious that uses the word legal when discussing this topic, sorry. I'm almost 100% they've said scripting in your house attended was okay.
Better make a appointment at lense crafters ...

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
don’t buy gold from 3rd party RMT sites. You risk getting hacked ripped off and again banned
I agree with your first part... I just recall them saying it's fine. And as far as what I quoted... I'm sure that's wrong. I've bought stuff from them. I'm sure I'm not alone. They have never asked for account details. I haven't bought a "Training" though, that does seem wonky.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So if it's fine to macro in your house then why say this in the Newsletter from November 2019?

We would also like to update everyone on a new policy as it relates to how we handle ToS violations within a house. If players are caught in a house violating the ToS, in any form, the account which owns the house will also be actioned.