• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Screen Capture Video Software

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know windows 10 has a built in capture tool, but it only captures a single monitor. I'm looking for some advice on screen capture video tools that are capable of capturing multiple monitors (I have 4), and would be somewhat user friendly (and hopefully free).

Any of you advanced gamers out there have any recommendations?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I use OBS Studio... But it's more of a video thing.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know windows 10 has a built in capture tool, but it only captures a single monitor. I'm looking for some advice on screen capture video tools that are capable of capturing multiple monitors (I have 4), and would be somewhat user friendly (and hopefully free).

Do you use an NVIDIA graphics card by chance? It comes with vid capture and works super great.

Here's a list of supported vid cards...

If you're making a series of vids for UO and want some company let me know! I've wanted to for a while, but when I stream on Twitch no one is really interested in UO so much as they are my League, Rimworld, Terraria, and Avorion gameplay.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually I’m just trying to document my playing. One of our fabulously incompetent GMs (Theron) pulled me in and banned (72 hours) my accounts for multi boxing. I showed him I was just using the classic client following function, but he said what I was doing wasn’t possible. Since I clearly know that it is because I’ve been doing it for years I want a way to prove that I’m controlling 4 accounts independently and it is possible.

I can record 1 screen which shows 4 characters playing, but it would be better to be able to see the mouse moving between all 4 screens .

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you use an NVIDIA graphics card by chance? It comes with vid capture and works super great.

If you're making a series of vids for UO and want some company let me know! I've wanted to for a while, but when I stream on Twitch no one is really interested in UO so much as they are my League, Rimworld, Terraria, and Avorion gameplay.
I tried this too, but didn't see a way to get all 4 screens at once... just 1.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I need a Guide for Dummies. I have this:
1590106479492.png

I saw something about vidoes before I made an account. Now the Ge Force Experience just shows a Games Section.

How can I make a Video? Thanks.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ithought multiboxing was okay.

I need a Guide for Dummies. I have this:
View attachment 108483

I saw something about vidoes before I made an account. Now the Ge Force Experience just shows a Games Section.

How can I make a Video? Thanks.
What's your GPU? Let me know if you can't figure out where to find it.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
[/QUOTE]

I think I found it. I press Alt z and it brings up a menu. Then I can record. Leaves some huge screen up at first but seems to work.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ithought multiboxing was okay.

Multi-boxing (using a 3rd party to control more than 1 client simultaneously with a single keyboard/mouse) is not ok. Multi-clienting (having multiple clients open and controlling the individually) is ok. The trouble is that, apparently, some of our GM staff don't know how to tell the difference. Certainly calls into question the statistics they are putting in the newsletter... and quite honestly makes me wonder how many other legit players are getting actioned. I have emailed Bonnie 3 times and been completely ignored... yet we all see know players who violate the ToS constantly (Hello A V A T A R)...

I did make a video of me doing a city invasion this morning, but again it only captures a single client. Still you can see all 4 of my characters and them commanding pets and casting spells. You can certainly see that the client that is on the video never does any action unless my mouse cursor is on that screen controlling it. There are some other obvious indications that they are not being controlled by a single command stroke: They move differently, both in direction and some are stationary while others catch up. They have a slight delay between commands like "all kill" or "all follow me". Pets sometimes target different mobs. Individual characters cast spells like heal, invis, ebolt and WoD... but hey, I've only been practicing this for 5+years... what do I know... certainly not as much as our stellar GM's who ban people for it because its just not possible.

For those who are really bored, here is the link to the 50 minute video which includes soloing the titan at the end.

Last edited:

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

OBS 100%. Fairly simple to use, lightweight video files. It will take a little bit of configuration for 4 screens and may require a bit more CPU power but OBS is exactly what you need. You can assign OBS to simply capture individual windows rather than monitors but either way works.

Here is OBS running on a separate monitor, did a quick capture with UO and Doom. Simply create a scene then add sources, the 2 sources I added were UO and Doom.
OBS1.jpg

And here is the playback it recorded (sorry only a pic here but you get the idea).
OBS2.jpg

Been meaning to make more UO videos myself, whilst I have the time, I'm just lacking inspiration!

Edit:
Never really played around with recording multiple applications before so I had a little experiment. I setup OBS to record 2x UO clients 1x Doom fullscreen client and a MAME client also fullscreen, took all of 2 minutes. The recording was surprisingly flawless, no loss of frame rate and my PC is not all that powerful. Here's the result:
OBS3.jpg

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those who are making :tinhat: need to look at that set up. You just run one client per monitor. You could run 2 - whatever on each monitor. You are attended. Could easily run 12 accounts that do some basic things. Such as sitting hidden in a dungeon killing stuff. They just don't understand how ppl who make money off UO are sitting at their PC.

What size are those Monitors?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OBS is also free at least it was when I got it.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Merus I hope you can get something sorted out to prove your case, sorry you got a ban over something so obviously wrong. It's a shame they finally started to do something about multi-boxing but have no clue how to actually determine if that's what is going on, not surprising though when it took years to explain it to the producer... :rolleyes:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks all... with a little you tube tutorial and a few minutes I was able to get OBS recording all 4 screens. :)

My screens are 22 wide screen. While it certainly possible someone could use a similar set up to run more than 4 clients and use that to make money, I don't do that. Personally I'm not much of a buyer or seller... I like to go out and play and collect the things I need... I just like to be a little more efficient at it than a single client allows.

A short clip of a town invasion with all 4 screens:

Its rather a shame that its come to video recording my playtime just to protect myself from GM staff who are uneducated, but so be it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only watched the first minute or two, sorry but the All Follow me command happens too fast for you to be clicking on each screen and hitting a macro key. But good luck in the future.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only watched the first minute or two, sorry but the All Follow me command happens too fast for you to be clicking on each screen and hitting a macro key. But good luck in the future.
Watch it again in slow motion then, you can see the cursor move to each screen as the all follow me comes up. Furthmore, understand what multiboxing is... are you suggesting that somehow between everything else I am turning on a program just for the "all follow me" then turning it right back off?

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The 4 screens act as one large screen. All he has to do is move the mouse to that panel and press the command short cut. Takes very little time to move a mouse and press a button your finger is right above.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The 4 screens act as one large screen. All he has to do is move the mouse to that panel and press the command short cut. Takes very little time to move a mouse and press a button your finger is right above.
And herein lies the problem... Garth, according to his stratics profile, has been playing UO since at least 2003... 17 years, and still thinks some things are not possible.... even with the video right in front of them. SMH

I have a gaming mouse set to move at its top speed... I can move it across 4 screens very quickly... but you can still see it move to each screen in the video

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And herein lies the problem... Garth, according to his stratics profile, has been playing UO since at least 2003... 17 years, and still thinks some things are not possible.... even with the video right in front of them. SMH

I have a gaming mouse set to move at its top speed... I can move it across 4 screens very quickly... but you can still see it move to each screen in the video
I didn't watch the multi screen video, only the single screen.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't watch the multi screen video, only the single screen.
Watch the multi screen ones... the commands happen just as fast and you can see they are being done individually.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then why'd you comment on about multiple screens? Come on man.
Because my comment was from the video of the single screen. Come on man. What we really need is the video from the GMs screen, but we don't have that, instead we have a demonstration video. I should take my own advice and not bother commenting, Merus' gameplay doesn't affect me one way or the other, but when his defense is thrust upon us all, me included, I have to comment...I guess lol...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You accused him of not being able to do what he was doing.

but when his defense is thrust upon us all, me included, I have to comment...I guess lol...
An accusation is more than just a comment.

Wow you can click a lot faster than I can, would be a Comment. Most of you can click a lot faster than I can. @Khyro has some videos where the spells are super quick and never stop. I sure don't accuse him of 'being too fast'. Just better!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because my comment was from the video of the single screen. Come on man. What we really need is the video from the GMs screen, but we don't have that, instead we have a demonstration video. I should take my own advice and not bother commenting, Merus' gameplay doesn't affect me one way or the other, but when his defense is thrust upon us all, me included, I have to comment...I guess lol...
This thread isn't about my defense to you, other than your accusation that I wasn't actually doing what I said I was doing. This thread was about finding some software capable of recording my play on multiple windows.

It only has the side discussion of how to tell the difference between what multi-boxing looks like and what multi-clienting looks like... and how some seem to have trouble telling the difference.