• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tracking] Scout training, esp Tracking

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any tips or an existing FAQ on Tracking skill? I beagn a new scout char with Detect 50 and Tracking 50 ( will soulstone over complementary skills from other chars).

What is the beast (yes, fastest) way to raise Tracking? And shout I raise Detect at same rate, or GM Track then work Detect?

Thank you in advance!

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've just spam-trained tracking from 0-88, 0-50 in New Haven and 50-88 in another spot. Right now it is taking me about 0.4 skill an hour so it is slow going and at 87.9 I about froze.

I'm not sure if actively working it would be any faster, as I've attempted that and it doesn't seem to help any, so all I've been doing is spamming it until it recycles.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think once you get to 90 tracking it is almost impossible to wait for gains lol maybe at this point it is best to just play normally or GGS or get some SoTs :(

V

Vaneca

I just put tracking back on a charakter after 3 years.
Its 90.1

I´m not even getting a GGS!
This is ridicules!

I mean, not even GGS gain after 3 years?
Theres something horribly going wrong I guess =(

Touzoko

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As always, check to make sure that you have that skill set to raise, and that you have available skill points.

V

Vaneca

Yes, I bet thats it...
I´m playing uo for over 11 years now, never made that kinda mistake =)

I actually tried everything.
Crossing serverlines, killing my char, using a SoT and try again to gain, log out and in again, try in tram and fel, set skill to drop - lock - and raise again
but nothing seems to be working out.

I reported the problem ingame via Help button and all I got was a silly respons about a completely different topic. GM was talking about gain rates for STAT points and did not even once mention the word skill.

So here I am still with my problem.

If there is anybody out there who kinda got the same problem and maybe even a solution, please let me know!

3 hours of training and 0 gain, not even GGS gain after 3 years not doing it.
At this point, I´m a "little" upset tbh.

Vaneca

I

InspectorGadget

Having raised tracking and detect to GM on 3 chars, currently working on 4th (siege) i have a few pointers.

1) Train in a densly populated location, Luna on Prodo shards or Cove(siege) seem to work well with a wealth of Players and NPC's. Don't target track just initiate skill every 12 seconds or so(i believe its actually 11s). For detect, vesper bank works well until the 85+'s, then your best bet is to either run dungeons detecting the boxes or joining factions, having traps placed and detecting those(factions works VERY quickly). Base the detect on the lockpicking skill of the boxes.

2) Keep your total skill points low, around 2-300 seemed to be optimum for the higher levels of both.

3) Keep at it, they are slow gaining skills, i think my first took me over a month abnd then around 2-3weeks obn the others.

V

Vaneca

Well detect hidden is no problem tbh. got that 3 times gmed.

But tracking is really freaking me out.
I been at Luna bank trying to gain tracking a few hours and did not even get a ggs, which brought up the idea of there beeing something wrong.

I guess I´m just gonna have to keep on trying or waste a lot of SoT´s =)

Thanks for your help anyway!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm around 83 and the gains are slow, but I do gain at home. I'm just trying to get to Gm and then stone it.
What are you guys using it for? Backstab? Factions? Just scouting?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is how I have trained to GM level both Detect Hidden and Tracking on four tamers and ten stealthers (mostly faction thieves):

Start the character with 50 Hiding and 50 Tracking. Buy Detect Hidden training so you're in the low 30s (don't think anyone in Haven trains it to 40).

Go some place with a large number of locked and trapped chests of varying difficulty (e.g., your house with a bunch of tinker-made boxes, a dungeon or bank room with a large number of static chests). Set up a macro in UO Assist that does the following:

Detect Hidden on chest #1
10500 pause
Track Human
10500 pause
Detect Hidden on chest #2
10500 pause
Track Animal
10500 pause

Follow this same sequence of detecting on a chest and then tracking for human one time and animal the next time until you've gone through all the static chests in that location.

Lock the macro and then log off to save it.

I have a particular location I like to use for this training that has about a dozen static chests in it and isn't a particularly high-traffic location like Luna either.

It will take a few weeks of running the macro for an hour or so each day (about as long as I can do it without jumping out the window from boredom) to finish training Detect Hidden. (Some days all I do is log on and get the GGS gains. Many days that means having to track 3-5 times and detect 4-6 times before actually getting the gain.) By that time, Tracking should be in the mid-90s. I always finish training the Tracking through a combination of GGS gains while I finish training the character's other skills and then actually using the skill while doing guard duty at a faction base. Usually manage to get 3-4 Tracking gains in an hour while doing guard duty but somehow never get even one gain while using it in Luna or some other high traffic area. Go figure.

T

Tuchman

Have any of you tried Attacking a Satyr just inside the weald to get discorded. this should lower your skill lvl and maybe you will start getting your gains again ?
This has worked for me to raise lockpicking to GM.

There is a very good guide for doing this in the Treasure hunters Form.