• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sci-Fi UO

• Thread starter ValenceTrident
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
V

ValenceTrident

Do you guys think UO would've been better if it were set in the future? I *love* the UO rule-set and the freedom is unprecedented, but I can't help but think how much cooler it would be if houses were space stations and boats space ships and dragons space monsters.

Magnus

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Say hello to Lord Blackthorns Revenge and Ultima Online 2.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do you guys think UO would've been better if it were set in the future? I *love* the UO rule-set and the freedom is unprecedented, but I can't help but think how much cooler it would be if houses were space stations and boats space ships and dragons space monsters.
No if I wanted to play futuristic space junk I'd be playing SWG...... But I happen to like a more medieval flair......

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was UO2 going to be set in space?
No. UO2 was going to be steampunk + technology. I don't remember there being any part that was specifically space-oriented, though. When UO2 fell apart, the simpler steampunk aspects (I.e. the Todd MacFarlane art) was redone as Lord Blackthorn's Revenge.

J

Joyous2K

No. I think elves are for kids too.

A

Azureal

FWIW, SWG was the closest thing to a realised space-themed UO. Massive play worlds, player housing, player vendors, faction based PvP (rebels vs imps). Hell, it even had Tmaps that you could dig up. I guess you could attribute SWGs UO-ness to Raph Koster.

M

Masumatek

Would be fun. Needs to be more sci-fi mmos imo. If I rp the Borg in UO, imagine what I could do in an actual space game!

K

Katlene

well theres another one on the way so dont get to dramatic about not enough sci fi games *yay for stargate*
Also theres these sci fi based games...

Anarchy Online
Armada Online — (Under development)
AWplanet
EVE Online
Infinity: The Quest for Earth — (under development)
Jumpgate: The Reconstruction Initiative
RF Online
The Saga of Ryzom
Ace Online
Star Trek Online — (under development)
Star Wars Galaxies
Stargate Worlds — (under development)
StarQuest Online

Plenty there to keep people amused that cant seem to be satisfied that UO is medieval based

M

Masumatek

I meant good sci-fi games. Are there any on that list besides EvE?

Also, I thought the developers of STO dumped it. Have there been any updates from the people who picked it up?

I love Star Trek and Stargate both but it was looking like both those games lean more towards the non-hardcore PvP crowd (the give me full loot, non item-based, risk and danger filled game type crowd). I'll have to do more research on Stargate Worlds though.

K

Katlene

GOOD im sick to death of everything angling towards PVP. I reakon im going to spend most of my stargate time doing the puzzles.
They have mind you said that they are going to cover pretty much everything people want. SO if you have input then go sign up and speak up on the sgw forums.

M

Masumatek

I'm sick of everything being catered to carebears. Everything angling towards PvP? What planet do you live on?

Nor is it only the fact that MMOs cater to carebears over PvP that bothers me. It's not simply because I like PvP. It's because I see no freaking point in a game without risk, without danger from other players, without required player interaction. WHY ELSE PLAY AN MMO. WHY NOT PLAY A SINGLE PLAYER GAME? What the heck. I'm sticking with my thought that the majority of MMO players do not even belong in MMOs. They belong in single player games. They belong playing checkers with the computer while chatting with their friends over AIM about how their piece turned sparkly and doubled up when it reached the other side. Because MMOs should never have been about low risk, low danger, collect eye-candy, be self-sufficient, solo every monster, etc. **** that so many of them are.

I love PvP. I love PKing. I'll never fully understand why one would prefer PvMing or crafting. But we need those people. And I respect them. Those people are not carebears just because they aren't PvPers.

Those I do not have respect for are the people who want no risk, no danger, and to play an MMO as if it were a single player game. These people are carebears and they have no place in the MMO world.

J

Joyous2K

I'm sick of everything being catered to carebears. Everything angling towards PvP? What planet do you live on?

Nor is it only the fact that MMOs cater to carebears over PvP that bothers me. It's not simply because I like PvP. It's because I see no freaking point in a game without risk, without danger from other players, without required player interaction. WHY ELSE PLAY AN MMO. WHY NOT PLAY A SINGLE PLAYER GAME? What the heck. I'm sticking with my thought that the majority of MMO players do not even belong in MMOs. They belong in single player games. They belong playing checkers with the computer while chatting with their friends over AIM about how their piece turned sparkly and doubled up when it reached the other side. Because MMOs should never have been about low risk, low danger, collect eye-candy, be self-sufficient, solo every monster, etc. **** that so many of them are.

I love PvP. I love PKing. I'll never fully understand why one would prefer PvMing or crafting. But we need those people. And I respect them. Those people are not carebears just because they aren't PvPers.

Those I do not have respect for are the people who want no risk, no danger, and to play an MMO as if it were a single player game. These people are carebears and they have no place in the MMO world.
What are you a cyborg or something?

What about that second life... that is not PvP, is it? I really don't know. But people like that because it is fun to play or do whatever they do there.

K

Katlene

Wow harsh, you do know you can put a point across with out being nasty.
Solution is. If you dont like something then dont do it.
Everything in life is a risk. your views and everyone elses views to whats classified as a risk may be different.
Thers always plenty of people to cry about not a good enough pvp game, yet none of these people will do anything about it.:sad2:
If you love pvp so much, Unreal tournament. Simple. But im pretty sure youll find something negative to say about that too.
No matter what the game is, theres always going to be people that dont like something about it, but rather then do someting about it or move on, they whinge complain and get all uppity and make it so pointless to try and have a discussion with them.

F

Fink

Do you guys think UO would've been better if it were set in the future?
The future and SF don't always go hand in hand. I think what you mean to say is a latter space-age setting. The Science in (good) SF is simply the setting; the Fiction is what drives the story. I think Ultima's fiction is what has kept it alive all these years.

UO is science-fantasy. Mechanical creatures, parallel worlds, time travel, aliens, wormholes, teleportation, forcefields, etc.. all these story elements and devices are already a part of UO and I think it's a nice balance.

L

love2winalot

Regarding the OP. If UO went in that direction, then using the story of, "Chrono Trigger" with past, present, future, would be a way to impliment it into the current game.

C

Cinnamon

The Avatar himself was kind of a space/time traveler, he was from present-day earth and traveled to Sosaria when called upon. Several other residents of Sosaria were also from present-day earth, even some from other realms of time & space. Throughout the series, there were brief references to people/creatures from space (or another place & time), there was even a UFO in UVII. At the end of UIX, the Avatar ascended to...where? UX:O would have explored that but oh well...

I still prefer the current setting, but there's sufficient lore to support exploring other possibilities.

E

Emil IsTemp

Say hello to Lord Blackthorns Revenge and Ultima Online 2.
haha i was gonna say the same thing.. just go kill some god-awfully-ugly creations by Todd McFarlane.

his comics suck too.